Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
114 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 114

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Fulop plans to gather top N.J. mayors for private dinner: The Auditor
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
I think the looney lefties corruption of the word 'progressive' is wrong. Progress is moving forward. NJ taxpayers are the most taxed in the country. Anything that slows the rise of taxation for the general good (instead of sweetheart deals for the privileged few, doled out by Democrats for their union supporters) is truly progressive.

Who was the 'progressive' candidate in the last election for Governor in NJ? Babs Buono. Only the extreme looney lefties in the Democratic party backed her, everyone else in the party knew she didn't represent the voters of NJ.

So yes, common sense reforms, agreed upon in a bi-partisan manner, are what is truly progressive. Giving in to special interest groups, at the expense of the majority of the taxpayers, is actually regressive. Not to mention unsustainable.

Posted on: 2014/11/16 23:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Methinks you've had too many PBR's and locavore pickles today-Christie is a 'radical' conservative? Many Republicans would call him a RINO, lol.

Tenure reform was progressive. Pension reform was progressive, but it turns out his compromise with the Democrats doesn't go far enough to save NJ taxpayers. 2% municipal tax caps is working wonderfully for NJ's middle class homeowners, although it can't reverse decades of Democratic led special interest giveaways.

And now Fulop and the other Democratic led money pit towns want more from the supply side suburban taxpayers, as we're learning now what his meetings in AC are about-as I said.

I guess you just don't understand progressive politics. Progressive politics is about protecting workers from employers, not stripping laborers from wrongful termination. Progressive pension reform is ensuring that workers' pensions are protected and pay out a living wage in retirement, not spending the money that should be reserved for workers' retirements to fund state operating costs. The tax caps are an ultra conservative measure, not a progressive one. Not only have the tax caps not actually worked -- municipalities have just moved from the "tax" column to the "fee" column many of the costs of operating the town -- but Christie had the state erase all the data to obscure the fact that taxes haven't actually gone down. Either way, starving government by artificial caps on taxation isn't progressive, its ultra conservative.

Posted on: 2014/11/16 23:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Methinks you've had too many PBR's and locavore pickles today-Christie is a 'radical' conservative? Many Republicans would call him a RINO, lol.

Tenure reform was progressive. Pension reform was progressive, but it turns out his compromise with the Democrats doesn't go far enough to save NJ taxpayers. 2% municipal tax caps is working wonderfully for NJ's middle class homeowners, although it can't reverse decades of Democratic led special interest giveaways.

And now Fulop and the other Democratic led money pit towns want more from the supply side suburban taxpayers, as we're learning now what his meetings in AC are about-as I said.

Posted on: 2014/11/16 22:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
I thought you had a deeper understanding, at least, of Christie. He has no filter, and is honest to a fault. If he was so concerned about his political future, do you think he'd have given Obama the bro-hug after Sandy?

Name me another politician in the US today who had achieved so many bi-partisan, common sense progressive reforms as he has. And he's done it, at times, holding his nose but he fully (unlike, say, Obama) realizes that the perfect is the enemy of the good.

Christie gave Obama a bro-hug because Obama's approval rating was skyrocketing, as is the case whenever a president tours a disaster area doling out money.

Also every time you use the word "progressive" to describe Christie's conservative to radically conservative platform it only reinforces that don't know what you are talking about. Its your choice to be Christie's lapdog, but when you're licking shit off his fingers, don't pretend its not shit.

Posted on: 2014/11/16 22:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I thought you had a deeper understanding, at least, of Christie. He has no filter, and is honest to a fault. If he was so concerned about his political future, do you think he'd have given Obama the bro-hug after Sandy?

Name me another politician in the US today who had achieved so many bi-partisan, common sense progressive reforms as he has. And he's done it, at times, holding his nose but he fully (unlike, say, Obama) realizes that the perfect is the enemy of the good.

Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
The Brooklyn hipster once again has his knit cap (or fedora maybe?) pulled down so low over his eyes that he can't see the landslide support both Governor's enjoyed in their states-Christie's being even more remarkable, given that it was earned in a blue state. Carry on.

In no part of my statement did I mention either Christie's or Cuomo's popularity. I simply said they are both more interested in running for president than prioritizing their own constituents' needs. Its very easy to be a popular politician. Its much more difficult to do the right thing, something neither Cuomo nor Christie have done.

Posted on: 2014/11/16 19:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
The Brooklyn hipster once again has his knit cap (or fedora maybe?) pulled down so low over his eyes that he can't see the landslide support both Governor's enjoyed in their states-Christie's being even more remarkable, given that it was earned in a blue state. Carry on.

In no part of my statement did I mention either Christie's or Cuomo's popularity. I simply said they are both more interested in running for president than prioritizing their own constituents' needs. Its very easy to be a popular politician. Its much more difficult to do the right thing, something neither Cuomo nor Christie have done.

Posted on: 2014/11/16 19:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
RU, you do know that Hudson and Essex counties were the ONLY two that voter for Bab Buono-because she would've done all she could to reverse the progressive changes that Christie has accomplished. And last I looked, the Port Authority was a bi-state agency, and guess who Christie is paired with? His Democrat counterpart, Cuomo. So spare me the crocodile tears when a Democrat Governor shared the raising of the tolls.

I do like the attempt to co-opt the term "progressive."

As for Cuomo, he's a Democrat in name only, and like Christie, is more interested in boosting his Presidential campaign than pursuing the right public policies for the state he ostensibly represents.

Posted on: 2014/11/16 19:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
RU, you do know that Hudson and Essex counties were the ONLY two that voter for Bab Buono-because she would've done all she could to reverse the progressive changes that Christie has accomplished. And last I looked, the Port Authority was a bi-state agency, and guess who Christie is paired with? His Democrat counterpart, Cuomo. So spare me the crocodile tears when a Democrat Governor shared the raising of the tolls.

I do like the attempt to co-opt the term "progressive."

As for Cuomo, he's a Democrat in name only, and like Christie, is more interested in boosting his Presidential campaign than pursuing the right public policies for the state he ostensibly represents.

Posted on: 2014/11/16 17:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Political Insider: Fulop and Sweeney plan some time, separately, in Atlantic City

Political Insider: By Agustin C. Torres | The Jersey Journal
November 15, 2014 at 11:03 AM

Jersey City Mayor Steve Fulop was not expected to host any parties at next week?s League of Municipalities Convention in Atlantic City, although he admits that at least one room has been reserved by his people. You almost had a sense that Fulop would rather be back in Paris, except he realized it?s a wee bit more expensive in the City of Lights than here in New Jersey.

Then it came out in the Star-Ledger?s Auditor column that the mayor plans to have a bunch of private dinners with Garden State mayors and prominent figures. One is at a Bobby Flay steak restaurant at the Borgata, next Wednesday. So much for not wanting to host anything. The mayor?s handlers apparently don?t want to hear such nonsense.

One of my sources gave me an excited call to say Fulop plans one of these dinners on Tuesday evening at 10:30 p.m. at the Borgata pool. ?Pool?? I ask. I imagined everyone entering a big indoor pool to talk business and feel safe that there isn?t any secret recording going on. Food and drink most be on inflatables. Nah, the private event is at the Borgata Immersion Spa at the Water Club and I expect there will be chairs. Sometimes you have to sift through the info a source provides to get it right, or close.

Unannounced gubernatorial candidate Fulop?s potential rival for the top post, Senate President Steve Sweeney, is also doing his ?mayoral? thing in Atlantic City. He announced a press briefing next Wednesday at 9 a.m. in the Pearl Ballroom of the Sheraton Atlantic City Convention Center Hotel. The focus is on the ways to reduce crime and improve infrastructure.

Read more:
http://www.nj.com/opinion/index.ssf/2 ... ely_in_atlantic_city.html

Posted on: 2014/11/16 4:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
The saddest is part is: WE ALL are paying for this elaborate dinner. Did it really need to be held at the Borgata at Bobby Flay's?

Yet....silence because it's the golden boy.

The only way you are paying for it is if you made a contribution to Fulop's campaign fundraising. This is certainly not something he'd put back to the city. Check his next ELEC filing (should post on the state website sometime around the 20th of January. If the event isn't in there, then you can raise your stink.

Posted on: 2014/11/14 4:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

lefty55 wrote:
Your Govenor Monroe, certainly not mine

Thanks for confirming you're in looney la-la land, rather than the State of New Jersey! :)

Posted on: 2014/11/13 22:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/8 20:19
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Your Govenor Monroe, certainly not mine

Posted on: 2014/11/13 22:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/28 15:11
Group:
Registered Users
Relax! Their bottles of wine only cost thirty-seven-fifty!

http://www.nj.com/business/index.ssf/ ... ne_really_costs_3750.html

Posted on: 2014/11/13 20:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/11/13 19:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
LOL yeah the poor "red" parts of NJ- which are those by the way? Ocean County? A few towns in the Pine Barrens? Perhaps you didn't notice, because you're a flamer that doesn't live here, but 07302 and 07310 have some of the highest average incomes in NJ, and Ward E voted 80% for Obama in 2012.

And lol, Christie raised taxes when he signed off on the PATH fare and toll increase...he lowered the state credit rating but managed to find millions for phony investigations and to make Booker not run on the same day as him.

Not to mention how our recovery lags behind all the neighboring states with Democratic governors, who focus on governing their states, not yelling at teachers and campaiging in New Hampshire.

Posted on: 2014/11/13 19:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Pebble, you just can't 'lower' your taxes then await an increase in low income owners-lowering taxes would only increase house prices.

You seem to desire 'equal outcome' rather than 'equal opportunity'. A local teen in Lafayette with involved parents and a good work ethic would have the world at his feet. Just imagine the opportunities for a young, driven, high performing kid? Unlimited scholarships, internships, affirmative action advantages.

Posted on: 2014/11/13 17:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
I don't expect Fulop to hold this meeting at McDonald's (they have Fatburger at the Borgata anyway) but there quite a few casual dining options at the Borgata, some of which seem to be pretty nice sit-down restaurants.

http://www.theborgata.com/dining/casual-dining

Having this meeting at Bobby Flay is a little over the top. The Metropolitan is a sit-down that appears to have good food and is quite a bit cheaper.

By the way, reading the list of all these cities that are the "top" cities of New Jersey and it is one sorry list of places and attests to the bad rap New Jersey gets (much as I like living here). I assume it's top 20 by population though.

Posted on: 2014/11/13 16:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Nonsense, suburban taxes have increased at a higher rate than in, say, JC-mostly because the added education costs through state mandates are paid twice by suburban taxpayers-once to pay for their own schools, and another time to pay for Abbott schools. Thankfully our Governor has compromised with the state Legislature to reduce the rate of increase tremendously by the 2% cap.

Again, why are you incapable of comprehending the simple basis of a supply-demand graph? Your costs are high which means your neighbors can afford it. If you couldn't, you'd have left.

Just look at some of the homes and individuals that you pass on your drive into Lafayette. There is a reason they live where they do, the taxes are low making the cost of living low. If you lowered your taxes and stopped paying for JC schools, those JC people you choose to not live near (and it really is a choice), would move in next to you. That is what you are paying for.

Posted on: 2014/11/13 16:44
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Nonsense, suburban taxes have increased at a higher rate than in, say, JC-mostly because the added education costs through state mandates are paid twice by suburban taxpayers-once to pay for their own schools, and another time to pay for Abbott schools. Thankfully our Governor has compromised with the state Legislature to reduce the rate of increase tremendously by the 2% cap.

Posted on: 2014/11/13 16:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Really? Please tell me which law would demand that. Besides, my underlying point is that if you removed corruption and waste there wouldn't be so much money wasted, or indeed money could be re-allocated to paying down pensions and reducing state debt to the benefit of all.

The way the law reads now, school systems can decide whether to accept or not out of district students. I don't know of any that accept them.

Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Back to my original comment in this thread, I did the numbers. The towns that are meeting received almost $3.5 billion dollars last year from suburban taxpayers to support their school systems. With the exception of a few schools (notably the ones that receive very little state funding!) they have miserable graduation rates. This is education alone, not subsidies of other types.

So the idea of them bonding over shrimp cocktails, prime steaks, and endless drinks to try and figure out how to get suburban taxpayers to pay even more for their failed social experiments isn't far fetched at all, is it?

As has been pointed out to you multiple times over... you are paying money to keep "those people" away from you. Unless you want them in your schools, you are going to keep paying for them.

It?s actually quite simple? prior to you purchasing your home, the owners were paying those same taxes and those same taxes were getting shipped to less wealthy school districts. The argument that this is somehow a grand injustice is rather odd given that you knew exactly what you were getting into when you bought what you did. Your whinging can be merely translated as ?I got mine, you can go pound sand if you think you can get yours.?

As for schools? lower your taxes and you?ll see the type of people that start buying homes in your area. Lower them further and you?ll see the types of students that end up in the schools.

We?ve both agreed already that it isn?t the teachers that are failing, but the lack of structure in the homes of the students that are failing. Drop your taxes to my level and those same parents will jump ship and move into your neighborhood?

Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Then we're just going to disagree. He's in a position. It's not high, low, or middle. He's a politician who is supposed to serve the people, as they all are supposed to, not just their own ego-driven grab for power. People like you allow them to continue to be in politics for the latter.

Do you think Christie is in a ?high position.? Heck, I do. You can also be pretty damn certain that if Christie were caught running to McDonalds to meet up with a bunch of other governors, the jokes would be endless and his presidential campaign would be dead. It would make him joke.

Nothing you wrote above makes any sense. The guy calls a meeting with other governors at a restaurant that, in theory, is good (there aren?t many in AC) and you call it an ?ego-driven grab for power.? Your Jump-to-conclusions Mat must look like a Freudian wet dream!

Fulop has the essential position of CEO of the city and you think the guy shouldn?t have a business lunch at a decent restaurant. You equate this top position by saying it?s ?a position? as if the guy could be flipping burgers at Five Guys. I would love to learn how your logic works.

Our current governor took off 30% of year to travel around the country campaigning. (According to Monroe, the guy should be fired for that.) Who do you think footed the bill for Christie?s lunches, plane tickets, security detail, hotel rooms...? Fulop has one freaking dinner and you?re whinging about the restaurant choice. Get some perspective.

Posted on: 2014/11/13 16:28
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
Then we're just going to disagree. He's in a position. It's not high, low, or middle. He's a politician who is supposed to serve the people, as they all are supposed to, not just their own ego-driven grab for power. People like you allow them to continue to be in politics for the latter.

Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
I'll start-did McGreevey tell Fulop his favorite 'rest stops' on the Garden State Parkway in the Woodbridge area?

Booo?
?mostly because Fulop can likely pull better than McGreevey.

Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:

Have you never had a lunch meeting? These people are in high positions. Do you expect them meet the Sizzler?

I sure have, with a private company, using company dollars. This is where you and most people have it wrong when you say "high positions". You put them above citizens, and they're not. They work FOR the citizens. YES, in a perfect world, it would be at XYZ diner. But fools like you let this crap pass because these infallible gods are in "high positions". I expected more from you, Pebs.

No, they use public money to fund these lavish time wasters, all aimed at hoisting Fulop into his gubernatorial run.

I have no idea where your logic got twisted with this, but what world do you live in that mayor isn?t a ?high position?? I didn?t make him a god (seriously? You reference this?) or put him on a pedestal. The guy is in a high profile position, the top ticket in the city.

When I used to travel over to Shanghai often, one of the things it was often expressed was how you put forward your best face (or as Americans say, foot). If the town hall is falling apart and covered in graffiti, what does it say about the town?

Like it or not, Fulop does represent us. That means that when he goes out and about, he?s representing the town and the image of that town. If he calls together a meeting with mayors and this meeting takes place at a McDonald?s, the jokes would be lining up (me included).

I?d be disappointed if the guy was popping bottles of champagne in the back of a strip club on Jersey City?s tab. However, a single dinner talking shop with other mayors? it?s a bit silly to get worked up over the location.

Posted on: 2014/11/13 15:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Really? Please tell me which law would demand that. Besides, my underlying point is that if you removed corruption and waste there wouldn't be so much money wasted, or indeed money could be re-allocated to paying down pensions and reducing state debt to the benefit of all.

The way the law reads now, school systems can decide whether to accept or not out of district students. I don't know of any that accept them.

Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Back to my original comment in this thread, I did the numbers. The towns that are meeting received almost $3.5 billion dollars last year from suburban taxpayers to support their school systems. With the exception of a few schools (notably the ones that receive very little state funding!) they have miserable graduation rates. This is education alone, not subsidies of other types.

So the idea of them bonding over shrimp cocktails, prime steaks, and endless drinks to try and figure out how to get suburban taxpayers to pay even more for their failed social experiments isn't far fetched at all, is it?

As has been pointed out to you multiple times over... you are paying money to keep "those people" away from you. Unless you want them in your schools, you are going to keep paying for them.

Posted on: 2014/11/13 15:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Posted on: 2014/11/13 15:21
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/11/13 15:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
I'll start-did McGreevey tell Fulop his favorite 'rest stops' on the Garden State Parkway in the Woodbridge area?

Booo?
?mostly because Fulop can likely pull better than McGreevey.

Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:

Have you never had a lunch meeting? These people are in high positions. Do you expect them meet the Sizzler?

I sure have, with a private company, using company dollars. This is where you and most people have it wrong when you say "high positions". You put them above citizens, and they're not. They work FOR the citizens. YES, in a perfect world, it would be at XYZ diner. But fools like you let this crap pass because these infallible gods are in "high positions". I expected more from you, Pebs.

No, they use public money to fund these lavish time wasters, all aimed at hoisting Fulop into his gubernatorial run.

I have no idea where your logic got twisted with this, but what world do you live in that mayor isn?t a ?high position?? I didn?t make him a god (seriously? You reference this?) or put him on a pedestal. The guy is in a high profile position, the top ticket in the city.

When I used to travel over to Shanghai often, one of the things it was often expressed was how you put forward your best face (or as Americans say, foot). If the town hall is falling apart and covered in graffiti, what does it say about the town?

Like it or not, Fulop does represent us. That means that when he goes out and about, he?s representing the town and the image of that town. If he calls together a meeting with mayors and this meeting takes place at a McDonald?s, the jokes would be lining up (me included).

I?d be disappointed if the guy was popping bottles of champagne in the back of a strip club on Jersey City?s tab. However, a single dinner talking shop with other mayors? it?s a bit silly to get worked up over the location.

Posted on: 2014/11/13 15:02
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users
Come on guys. Give our over worked and underpaid politicians a break. These working dinners are pure torture...especially if they stretch into extra innings. Leave them alone!

Posted on: 2014/11/13 14:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
[quote]
Pebble wrote:

[quote]

Posted on: 2014/11/13 14:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/11/13 14:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
The saddest is part is: WE ALL are paying for this elaborate dinner. Did it really need to be held at the Borgata at Bobby Flay's?

Yet....silence because it's the golden boy.

Quote:

Monroe wrote:
A strategy plan for those towns on how to suck more money from the red suburban towns, no doubt.

I do always find your whinging rather comical. On this, I laughed.

Posted on: 2014/11/13 14:25
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/2 20:54
Group:
Banned
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote: