Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
108 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 108

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Front yard parking
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc201jc wrote:
dumb. Just allow home owners a front driveway, and also change the law to allow a second car parked on the street in the driveway spot. That way you get 2 fewer cars looking for parking spots around the neighborhood (the car parked inside the driveway + the car parked on the street in front of the driveway). Everyone else on the block benefits as there is less competition for the remaining spots.

1. You can already do that if you have a legal driveway
2. Your theory is flawed. Many times, nobody is home, or just one person is home. In either case, an on-street space is forced to remain vacant whereas with no driveway it would be occupied. A property owner does not inherently "own" the 12' of curb in front of his/her house. This is true for people who expect to find parking a hop-skip-and-jump from their front door, and equally true for those who think they're entitled to a driveway. Have you ever driven down a street full of driveways? It's hideous, and that's being polite.

Posted on: 2017/3/23 19:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Actually no, developers will not invest in private lots because condos or apartment rentals will return more money than a parking lot.

Posted on: 2017/3/23 14:59

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/1 14:06
Group:
Registered Users
dumb. Just allow home owners a front driveway, and also change the law to allow a second car parked on the street in the driveway spot. That way you get 2 fewer cars looking for parking spots around the neighborhood (the car parked inside the driveway + the car parked on the street in front of the driveway). Everyone else on the block benefits as there is less competition for the remaining spots.

Posted on: 2017/3/23 14:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
It died.

Posted on: 2017/3/23 14:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Whatever happened with this, btw?

Posted on: 2017/3/22 20:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:

While not a bad idea what about those one family homes that have had those curb cuts since the late 80's or early 90's? Some of these homes have changed hands & it is certainly not fair to impose something like this on these families.

A fee to maintain the curb cut is ideal for those homes. Property owners who want to keep the curb cut would pay the fee. Property owners who don't want to pay the fee would lose the right to the curb cut restoring publicly accessible parking to the street. When it comes to fairness, its not particularly fair that some people have taken away public street parking available to everyone in order to create private street parking reserved only for them.

What is not fair is to charge/fine people a fee for the curb cuts that they were allowed to put starting with Cucci. What is not fair is to charge/fine some schlub for the curb cut he bought the house with. Why do you think there has been a moritorium on this all these years? And those who have been caught putting driveways in have been hit with hefty fines & orders to restore the curb. Unfortunately more have popped up than been caught because no one wants to be the neighborhood rat.

Posted on: 2014/12/3 0:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/22 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The city never wanted to address the issue of parking, this is unfortunate. When land was available, I urged the city government to build municipal garages. I knew people who left JC due to parking, between work, school, and doctor's appointments, they could not live in JC, even though their roots go back over 100 years.

If the demand for parking increases, people will invest in building private lots. If people cannot afford parking, the solution is not to take money from others to pay for it. That's messed up--it's harmful to the city and it makes us all poorer.

Posted on: 2014/12/2 21:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:

While not a bad idea what about those one family homes that have had those curb cuts since the late 80's or early 90's? Some of these homes have changed hands & it is certainly not fair to impose something like this on these families.

A fee to maintain the curb cut is ideal for those homes. Property owners who want to keep the curb cut would pay the fee. Property owners who don't want to pay the fee would lose the right to the curb cut restoring publicly accessible parking to the street. When it comes to fairness, its not particularly fair that some people have taken away public street parking available to everyone in order to create private street parking reserved only for them.

Posted on: 2014/12/2 14:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:

Define illegal. I guarantee that the carport wasn't there when that house was built. This is an example of one of the carports that appeared magically out of nowhere I bet about 20+ years ago & herein lies another problem with Chico's proposal. What do you do about all those carports that were put in all those years ago? Do you declare them illegal & demand the owner restore the curb &/or pay a fine? While I am sure Chico's intentions are good, they just aren't practical or well thought out.

One way of dealing with would be to have a monthly or annual curb cut fee. For the larger properties, a fee would be nominal cost shared among dozens of vehicles. For the individual single family house, a fee might be enough to restore the curb.

What we could do is paint parking lines like they do in North Bergen. This way you minimize ticketing those who are too close to the corners or hydrants. With spaces clearly delineated, you then ticket those who think it is alright to park anyway they want & hog spaces.

And none of this still addresses homes with multiple car families & those older apartment buildings that haven't any space to accomodate parking for their tenants.

I have offered to walk the Heights with Chico to show him first hand what the area looks like. So far he hasn't accepted.

Posted on: 2014/12/2 12:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:

Define illegal. I guarantee that the carport wasn't there when that house was built. This is an example of one of the carports that appeared magically out of nowhere I bet about 20+ years ago & herein lies another problem with Chico's proposal. What do you do about all those carports that were put in all those years ago? Do you declare them illegal & demand the owner restore the curb &/or pay a fine? While I am sure Chico's intentions are good, they just aren't practical or well thought out.

One way of dealing with would be to have a monthly or annual curb cut fee. For the larger properties, a fee would be nominal cost shared among dozens of vehicles. For the individual single family house, a fee might be enough to restore the curb.

Posted on: 2014/12/2 4:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
A Jersey City measure that would expand front-yard parking will not be heard by the Planning Board tomorrow night.

Ward B City Councilman Khemraj "Chico" Ramchal, who is championing the ordinance, said he asked for the vote to be postponed while he creates a committee to review the plan. Ramchal said he also wants to host a town hall meeting to discuss the measure before it goes before the Planning Board for a vote.

More

Posted on: 2014/12/1 23:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

neverleft wrote:
Tree falls on Jersey City heights home, car

jj piece...

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... ome_car.html#incart_river

Quote:
JJ comment:
Hmm doesn?t that SUV look like it is sticking out too far onto the sidewalk? Illegal car port?

?He added that the car that was damaged belongs to a neighbor who uses the driveway.?

Note to the Jersey City City Council when the car port vote comes up. See how people are going to take advantage of the car port law. People are going to make a car port , still park their car on the street, and rent out the car port space.

If it is an illegal car port I would love to see if the insurance company settles with the SUV owner.

Posted on: 2014/11/25 0:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Tree falls on Jersey City heights home, car

jj piece...

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... ome_car.html#incart_river

Quote:
JJ comment:
Hmm doesn?t that SUV look like it is sticking out too far onto the sidewalk? Illegal car port?

?He added that the car that was damaged belongs to a neighbor who uses the driveway.?

Note to the Jersey City City Council when the car port vote comes up. See how people are going to take advantage of the car port law. People are going to make a car port , still park their car on the street, and rent out the car port space.

If it is an illegal car port I would love to see if the insurance company settles with the SUV owner.

Posted on: 2014/11/24 21:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
This Change.Org petition is it safe ? They want personal information. Also will the city recognize a copy of names that were not signed in ink ?

Like Foursquare, I never saw much point to the change.org online petitions. Look, if you care enough about an issue, take the time to write your own e-mail (or letter on paper) to the elected officials who represent you. Do it in your own words, and not a form e-mail that a group has distributed to everyone. This has almost always gotten me a response from the elected official and tells me my voice has been heard.

Posted on: 2014/11/19 15:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Consumed wrote:

hate to tell you you can vote all you want. these jerks have pretty much solidified this deal and will take something pretty big to stop it.

How do you figure? It seems like Ramchal is the only council member pushing for it and several council members have said they have received numerous calls from constituents wanting them to vote against it.

Anybody supporting this law is just plain selfish. Never mind the trashiness factor, it will remove quite a few spaces from the streets. There are too many curb cuts in this city as it is.

Posted on: 2014/11/19 13:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/31 13:04
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
This Change.Org petition is it safe ? They want personal information. Also will the city recognize a copy of names that were not signed in ink ?

Based on the prior experience I wouldn't trust anything with a name like this.

Posted on: 2014/11/19 13:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/11/19 2:29
Get on your bikes and ride !

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/5 12:37
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
reality is we will lose more parking not gain by this absurd law. every house who gets a front parking spot will then also take the street parking spot as a no parking spot so if you dont own a house or live in an apartment you will be forced to pay someone to park in their driveways. this doesn't even count the extra space to the left and right of a driveway so a car can make a turn in which is usually 1/3 to 1/2 car length on each side. as well as the lazy who only pull halfway in or those with huge vans and SUV's

i walk up kennedy every day and there is front yard parking where cars are into the sidewalk thus forcing pedestrians to have to either walk in the street or walk through the dirt of a tree spot thus getting mud and crap all over your shoes. there are also front yard parking where the house is closer to the curb thus again limited walking area on a sidewalk.

this to me is them scrambling to see where they are going to put all the cars for all the people they expect to move to all the new buildings that will block the skyline soon enough.

hate to tell you you can vote all you want. these jerks have pretty much solidified this deal and will take something pretty big to stop it.

i would have used all side streets and forced diagonal street parking on any wide street. more spots. and leaves the avenues open for traffic and emergency vehicles.

Posted on: 2014/11/18 20:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
This is still a very active issues, slated for the Planning Board on Dec. 2, then likely to the City Council. Let's not forget about this one.

Please sign the petition if you are against this!
well, i think we all know that trees would magically start disappearing if this awful ordiance were passed

Posted on: 2014/11/18 17:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
This is still a very active issues, slated for the Planning Board on Dec. 2, then likely to the City Council. Let's not forget about this one.

Please sign the petition if you are against this!

Posted on: 2014/11/18 17:15

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/5 15:04
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Here's the latest version of the ordinance. Contrary to Chico's claims on Twitter (https://twitter.com/ChicoRamchalJC/status/532531906320293888), the ordinance does allow for tree removal so long as you get approval.

"... no existing street tree shall be removed to create a driveway without prior approval by the Jersey City Division of Parks & Forestry."

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/47 ... Chapter%20345-%20copy.pdf

Posted on: 2014/11/14 12:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Oppose the Front Yard Parking Amendment to R1-Zone

If you are against this, please sign...

https://www.change.org/p/rolando-lavar ... share_facebook_responsive

Posted on: 2014/11/13 21:42

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/8 1:12
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
One doesn't even need different browsers or computers to vote multiple times.
Just clear your cookies after you vote, and reload the page.
You can vote as many times as you want.

Completely useless poll.

Posted on: 2014/11/13 20:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Dear Mayor (Steve) Fulop, Councilman (Khemraj) Ramchal, and Freeholder (Bill) O'Dea:

I am writing to add my voice to the chorus of Jersey City residents who
agree with the Jersey City Planning Division that rezoning to permit
widespread utilization of front-yard parking by homeowners in the city
is a very bad idea.

The environmental repercussions alone (not just storm water runoff and
flood control, but also what it means -- even marginally -- for air
quality and the psychic impact of living in a city composed increasingly
of concrete and asphalt without evidence of the earth and its plant
life) are extremely troubling. Lincoln Park and the other dedicated
green spaces of the city are beautiful, but one should not have to go to
a park just to see grass.

I am currently a homeowner with a one-car driveway, but until two years
ago I was for 8 years a renting resident who lived with on-street
parking, in both the downtown and Journal Square areas of the city, and
I think the effects of this proposal on parking are to be avoided at all
costs. As the Planning Division's memo points out, it will impact not
only the residents of effected streets, but patrons of businesses around
the city.

It is not surprising that individual homeowners might long for this
convenience, but the job of city officials (along with our City Planning
Division) is to look at the big picture and make decisions that are best
for all concerned. Please do what is right for the city, whether or not
it seems to be popular at the moment. Let's make sure the residential
areas of Jersey City are distinguishable from the commercial districts!
You wouldn't turn the front lawn of City Hall into a parking lot, would you?

EVIE SHOCKLEY
JERSEY CITY

Posted on: 2014/11/13 18:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
The city never wanted to address the issue of parking, this is unfortunate. When land was available, I urged the city government to build municipal garages. I knew people who left JC due to parking, between work, school, and doctor's appointments, they could not live in JC, even though their roots go back over 100 years.

Posted on: 2014/11/13 18:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Please consider signing the official petition AGAINST allowing new front yard parking/driveways. Also, please email all the Council and Mayor and Freeholder voicing your concerns (addresses on the petition). Thanks, everyone.

https://www.change.org/p/city-council- ... king-amendment-to-r1-zone

Posted on: 2014/11/13 16:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Front-yard parking will hurt the look of our community

Stop this bill (parking in front yards for annual $100 fee)! We got rid of our car due to the lack of parking here and at my place of work.

Now with a son with cancer and a ton of medical appointments, we need a vehicle, even long term rental, but we can't because we would have NO place to park even a rental.

And this idea is bound to be contradictory to maintaining a historic feel and look to our community.

ANDREA LEE ROUNDFIELD
JERSEY CITY

Please reject front-yard parking

As the board president of the Gothic Towers Condo Association, a group that represents more than 60 unit owners in our building on Glenwood Avenue, I oppose the proposed amendment to the R-1 Zone to add "front yard parking as a permitted accessory use to a home," and I fully support the Jersey City Planning Board's opposition to this amendment.

There are a number of detached homes on Glenwood Avenue between Bergen Avenue and Kennedy Boulevard that already have implemented this practice, and, not only is it an eyesore, but it hijacks valuable parking spaces from apartment/condo residents. Parking is already a huge issue in our neighborhood, and if more detached houses are allowed to create "front-yard parking," street parking will be that much worse. Plus, it would eliminate needed greenery, trees, and landscaping from our streets, turning them into cement runways.

Please consider this amendment carefully, and how it will impact our residents, and please vote against it.

MEESHA DIAZ HADDAD
GOTHIC TOWERS CONDO ASSOCIATION BOARD PRESIDENT
JERSEY CITY

Front-yard parking in Jersey City is a 'negative'

As far as I am concerned, this (paying the city $100 to park on your front yard) is the most negative parking issue that I have ever heard about in Jersey City. It will ruin the looks of most blocks and not provide any proper parking.

I am quite surprised that anyone who cares about this city would propose this situation.

ELEANOR KAUFMAN
JERSEY CITY

http://www.nj.com/

Posted on: 2014/11/12 21:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/11/12 18:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
The Jersey Journal has an online poll to go along with their story on front yard parking.

Fulop pays attention to this stuff. If you are against it, we have to hit back hard. Here is the poll; you can vote multiple times (yes, I'm serious - it's totally unscientific). Vote from your work computer, your home computer, your handheld device, click refresh and vote some more. You don't have to live in JC to vote - pass it on to all your friends who will vote no just for fun. Right now, it is 819 votes in favor of the ordinance, 102 against.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... _nov_11.html#incart_river

It's off the agenda for now, but if we don't hit back hard, it will come back. Vote early and often!

The results are in, and it's 79.6% in favor of allowing front yard parking, and 20.4% against. So, assuming everyone followed OneSkirt's advice and the poll was not skewed in favor of one group or another, it seems front "yards" are soon to be a thing of the past. Except, I believe, on Ogden Avenue where RNA managed to get the zoning changed to prohibit them?

In fairness, people are freaking morons.

The poll responders are only thinking about the ease of which they might be able to find a convenient parking spot. However, they are not thinking about the aesthetics involved and how ugly it would be. It is a me-first, small-minded mentality.

I write this as someone that would be able to take advantage of this absurd law.

Posted on: 2014/11/12 18:47
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
The Jersey Journal has an online poll to go along with their story on front yard parking.

Fulop pays attention to this stuff. If you are against it, we have to hit back hard. Here is the poll; you can vote multiple times (yes, I'm serious - it's totally unscientific). Vote from your work computer, your home computer, your handheld device, click refresh and vote some more. You don't have to live in JC to vote - pass it on to all your friends who will vote no just for fun. Right now, it is 819 votes in favor of the ordinance, 102 against.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... _nov_11.html#incart_river

It's off the agenda for now, but if we don't hit back hard, it will come back. Vote early and often!

The results are in, and it's 79.6% in favor of allowing front yard parking, and 20.4% against. So, assuming everyone followed OneSkirt's advice and the poll was not skewed in favor of one group or another, it seems front "yards" are soon to be a thing of the past. Except, I believe, on Ogden Avenue where RNA managed to get the zoning changed to prohibit them?

Yes, because a web based poll of a statewide newspaper is obviously the best way to gauge sentiment for and idea that only impacts JC. We should henceforth govern the city using NJ.com polls.

Posted on: 2014/11/12 18:38

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017