Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
60 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 60

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Journal Square Development and the JCRA
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/19 0:07
From Pizza City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

soulman wrote:
Years ago, you could cross the boulevard underground and come up behind the Loews, I bet the network is still there and can be reactivated for less money than building a bridge. The area used to be populated with food and retail stores. Even Liss, (now Rite Aid), and JM Fields (now CH Martin) had an entrance from that lower level. Whenever it rained or snowed is was a sheltered way of crossing, without waiting for the light to change.

That's awesome. I wish they'd open it. Already built is the most practical way to go.
The demographic info on Jersey City's website says 61.9% of Jersey City households have cars. I think that's because you can't really live without one. We need more shopping and better transportation around the City in order to give up cars.

Posted on: 2014/11/11 19:37

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/6 11:43
From Historic Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Years ago, you could cross the boulevard underground and come up behind the Loews, I bet the network is still there and can be reactivated for less money than building a bridge. The area used to be populated with food and retail stores. Even Liss, (now Rite Aid), and JM Fields (now CH Martin) had an entrance from that lower level. Whenever it rained or snowed is was a sheltered way of crossing, without waiting for the light to change.

Posted on: 2014/11/11 15:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
12/27 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
A bridge across JFK is an excellent idea. There is one at Montgomery & JFK @ St. Peters College and one further north in Union City. The intersection of JFK and Bergen and the adjacent streets are very dangerous for both pedestrians and drivers. With the new towers going up foot traffic will increase and add to the mix.

Posted on: 2014/11/11 14:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Pizza City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I asked awhile back about the traffic lights and I was told the city wants to stagger the lights to slow down the traffic. Here is the problem, the development in JC is done in redevelopment zones. Redevelopment zones are outside the norms of regular development including traffic studies. The city ignores the problem of traffic including the lack of parking, I am sure part of the problem is people circling the block looking for parking spaces. The problem will only get worse because more redevelopment zones are being created and some redevelopment zones has been given new life when they expire. The original Colgate Redevelopment zone expired a while back and the city council gave it 20 more years.

OMG, more 'it's not my job' mentality from City workers. I can't stand that.
Why shouldn't the Redevelopment Agency do traffic studies? It should be a top priority considering the havok they're reeking by not doing them. Uncoordinated lights don't slow traffic, they just create traffic. Speed limits slow traffic.
The powers that be should be more realistic about the amount of cars coming in an out of Journal Square. They can't ignore that people will always drive their cars. Maybe we need an initiative like NYC has to encourage the use of public transportation: if you take public transportation, you don't have to pay income taxes on the amount you spend on public transportation.

Posted on: 2014/11/11 14:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/27 19:59
From journal square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I asked awhile back about the traffic lights and I was told the city wants to stagger the lights to slow down the traffic. Here is the problem, the development in JC is done in redevelopment zones. Redevelopment zones are outside the norms of regular development including traffic studies. The city ignores the problem of traffic including the lack of parking, I am sure part of the problem is people circling the block looking for parking spaces. The problem will only get worse because more redevelopment zones are being created and some redevelopment zones has been given new life when they expire. The original Colgate Redevelopment zone expired a while back and the city council gave it 20 more years.

Thats just classic JC planning/traffic board thinking. Timing the lights so cars move along but not too fast will regulate slower traffic than having angry drivers racing to not get stuck at yet another red light.

As for the ped crossing, I agree that its a mad house but I think a bridge from the corner where JFK turns 90 degrees could stretch all the way to the entrance steps of the PATH station and could seamlessly and safely connect a lot of people to the rest of JSQ which could be nice.

Posted on: 2014/11/10 18:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
12/27 19:08
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/11/9 22:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Pizza City
Group:
Registered Users
The traffic lights throughout the City aren't coordinated with each other. Cars are not moved along like they are in other cities. You get a green light only to moved forward to a group of cars stopped at the next stoplight. It causes frustration(and a lot of annoying beeping) and it causes danger for the pedestrians. A lot of times you get the signal to move and there's cars stuck in intersections and crosswalks because the cars simply aren't moving like they're supposed to.

Posted on: 2014/11/9 21:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/28 15:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityFrankie wrote:
I agree crossing the busy streets surrounding the Journal Square plaza on foot is way too difficult and DANGEROUS. The timing of the lights allows no room for error when trying to cross at any of the intersections. It doesn't help that all of the intersections are complex ones with multiple lanes of traffic and traffic islands. But clearly whoever set the timing of the Walk/Don't Walk lights was heavily biased towards the needs of the vehicular traffic. If there are recognized urban planning standards for the ideal amount of time Walk signs need to stay illuminated for safe crossing over given distance, I am CERTAIN our lights are set to the absolute minimum, if not below that number. Given the huge numbers of pedestrians who have to use these intersections, I find this situation unforgivable. The timing should CERTAINLY be set in favor of the pedestrians. Let the cars wait at the light, their personal safety is not in question and if they are slightly inconvenienced then as a harried and harassed Jersey City pedestrian I am disinclined to care. It isn't the pedestrians who are making our city streets dangerous.

Totally agree. I get as aggravated by jaywalkers ignoring traffic lights in JC as anyone, but those particular intersections are confusing, arbitrary and require pedestrians to wait excessively long for a "walk" signal. Predictably, unable to predict when and if the light will ever change, people just end up waiting for a lull in the traffic and chancing it by crossing. The problem is the intersection lies on what is essentially a blind curve with cars whipping around the turn on JFK at 40+ MPH. So even though the intersection may appear clear one moment, a car can come speeding down JFK toward a pedestrian the next moment. The city needs to re-do the entire set-up, making it cycle through an "all-pedestrian" walk signal like they've done at the corner of Grove and Columbus.

FWIW, the corner of Columbus and Marin is dangerous for the same reason-- Marin Blvd. curves, hiding oncoming traffic until the last moment.

Posted on: 2014/11/9 15:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users
I agree crossing the busy streets surrounding the Journal Square plaza on foot is way too difficult and DANGEROUS. The timing of the lights allows no room for error when trying to cross at any of the intersections. It doesn't help that all of the intersections are complex ones with multiple lanes of traffic and traffic islands. But clearly whoever set the timing of the Walk/Don't Walk lights was heavily biased towards the needs of the vehicular traffic. If there are recognized urban planning standards for the ideal amount of time Walk signs need to stay illuminated for safe crossing over given distance, I am CERTAIN our lights are set to the absolute minimum, if not below that number. Given the huge numbers of pedestrians who have to use these intersections, I find this situation unforgivable. The timing should CERTAINLY be set in favor of the pedestrians. Let the cars wait at the light, their personal safety is not in question and if they are slightly inconvenienced then as a harried and harassed Jersey City pedestrian I am disinclined to care. It isn't the pedestrians who are making our city streets dangerous.

Posted on: 2014/11/9 13:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
The pedestrians would have a much better chance of crossing the street if they obeyed the traffic signs and didn't jaywalk constantly. And the cops should absolutely crack down on people double parking, the choke holds cause drivers to get distracted. Why some people won't pull ahead twenty yards to an open space rather than double park is beyond stupid. We need drone parking enforcers!

Posted on: 2014/11/8 1:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/28 15:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCCheerleader wrote:
I'm not sure that anyone official from Jersey City is very familiar with what it's like here in Journal Square. What's supposed to be a mass transit orientated neighborhood-which has to be pedestrian friendly in order to work-is actually pretty crazy for pedestrians. I've always wondered if the people who make the decisions that effect us the rest of our lives even live in the City, let alone the neighborhoods they control.

Couldn't agree more. Crossing the intersections of JFK, Bergen and Sip is a veritable game of death for pedestrians. The area around JSQ needs to be made way, way more pedestrian-friendly before progress can be made there.

Posted on: 2014/11/8 1:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Pizza City
Group:
Registered Users
I'm not sure that anyone official from Jersey City is very familiar with what it's like here in Journal Square. What's supposed to be a mass transit orientated neighborhood-which has to be pedestrian friendly in order to work-is actually pretty crazy for pedestrians. I've always wondered if the people who make the decisions that effect us the rest of our lives even live in the City, let alone the neighborhoods they control.

Posted on: 2014/11/7 20:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users
I hope that there are people that actually live in the neighborhood and understand the needs of the community making decisions about this project. For instance the Kiss and Ride ( or whatever you want to call it): Implementing a plan WITHOUT some sort of pick up/drop off arrangement would indicate to me that the people in charge had no idea about the reality of the area they were trying to redevelop. Pretending people won't need a spot to pick up and drop off commuters would be a litmus test for Urban Planning competence. Any plan that omits this feature would be a red flag saying "We Are Incompetent!" And I say this as a person who in general is down on cars and the role automobile owners play in this community (I dislike them) but I UNDERSTAND they exist and I am not going to stick my head in the sand.

Posted on: 2014/11/7 14:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Pizza City
Group:
Registered Users
The plan for JS is ten years old. A lot has changed around the Path station since 9/11. There's no kiss and ride on Summit Ave anymore and stupidly they still allow cars to pull in on Summit Ave.

Posted on: 2014/11/7 13:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

JCCheerleader wrote:
50% wouldn't be so bad. Who gets to decide which 50% actually gets developed? If they just redid that shitty Path station I'd be happier but I also like to see those trolleys.

I agree.

One thing I would really like would be a straight shot light rail line from the MLK hub through JSQ to the Heights, it would be pretty fantastic.
isn't there a plan to run the light rail along the passaic river or something like that...from bayside

I've seen a few proposals on it and plans for expansion. One would put a stop across 440. Another extends down into Staten Island and ventures north from North Bergen. However, I was looking more at the idea of crisscrossing the center of the city. Use the existing MLK hub and run off from there, north and south. It would connect the more West side Greenville residents, possibly driving development, as well as Bergen Hill/McGinley Square (selfishly) to JSQ and the Heights. Placing a light rail in the middle of the Heights that connects to JSQ would do wonders for those living there.

I agree, the demographics have change significantly in areas near a lightrail station. I am always surprised to see someone get off my station who I assumed was going to Bayonne.

Posted on: 2014/11/6 23:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Pizza City
Group:
Registered Users
That would be such a game changer for the entire city.

Posted on: 2014/11/6 23:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

JCCheerleader wrote:
50% wouldn't be so bad. Who gets to decide which 50% actually gets developed? If they just redid that shitty Path station I'd be happier but I also like to see those trolleys.

I agree.

One thing I would really like would be a straight shot light rail line from the MLK hub through JSQ to the Heights, it would be pretty fantastic.
isn't there a plan to run the light rail along the passaic river or something like that...from bayside

I've seen a few proposals on it and plans for expansion. One would put a stop across 440. Another extends down into Staten Island and ventures north from North Bergen. However, I was looking more at the idea of crisscrossing the center of the city. Use the existing MLK hub and run off from there, north and south. It would connect the more West side Greenville residents, possibly driving development, as well as Bergen Hill/McGinley Square (selfishly) to JSQ and the Heights. Placing a light rail in the middle of the Heights that connects to JSQ would do wonders for those living there.

Posted on: 2014/11/6 13:53
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

JCCheerleader wrote:

I agree.

Posted on: 2014/11/6 13:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCCheerleader wrote:

I agree.

Posted on: 2014/11/6 13:31
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Pizza City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/11/6 4:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/21 14:20
Group:
Registered Users
option 2 - load of crap.

ask them how their last redevelopment plan worked out, that was like what? 10 years ago?

i be happy if they just finish that journey squared building by the path station without running into problems midway.

you have better chance of finding a unicorn than seeing even 50% of that "vision" realized.

Not trying to be a debbie downer, just a realist.

Posted on: 2014/11/4 17:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Very cool - thank you for posting. It's a vision, so you get to present what you consider the ideal (and maybe get close to it in execution).

Maybe we need Bernadette Soubirous heading up the JCRA.

Posted on: 2014/11/4 12:03

Journal Square Development and the JCRA
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Pizza City
Group:
Registered Users
I found this list of videos in the JCRA web files. The top two are promotions of the future of Journal Square development. It's either brilliant or the biggest load of crap. What do you think, can we expect the City to put in trolleys, a new light rail stop and a massive greenway that starts at the Path station and ends Downtown?
http://www.thejcra.org/jcra_files/Media/video/readme.html

Posted on: 2014/11/4 4:47

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017