Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
110 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 110

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Man dies in freak accident at Jersey City construction site
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/6/9 22:52
Group:
Registered Users
Put a goddamn protective scaffolding up like
they do in NYC.
You have to cross Columbus to walk as
they closed the sidewalk off.
Total bullshit.

Posted on: 2014/11/4 14:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Resized Image

Probe of fatal accident shuts down Downtown Jersey City construction site

A man delivering sheet rock at a construction site at 70-90 Columbus Drive in Downtown Jersey City was killed when a tape measure fell 50 stories and struck him in the head on Monday, Nov. 3, 2014.

Ron Zeitlinger | The Jersey Journal

The construction site in Downtown Jersey City where a man died this morning in a freak accident has halted work while the incident is investigated.

Officials from the Occupational Safety and Health Administration confirmed the federal agency has sent investigators to the site where the man who was delivering sheet rock to 70-90 Columbus Drive was struck by a 1-pound tape measure that had fallen 50 stories.

Jersey City public safety spokeswoman Carly Baldwin said the tape measure became dislodged from a worker's belt on the 50th floor and then struck construction equipment between 10 and 15 feet from the ground and then ricocheted into the victim's head. The victim's name has not yet been released.

The project at 70-90 Columbus Dr. includes two 50-story residential towers and an attached hotel. It is being developed jointly by Panepinto Properties and Ironstate Development. Panepinto Properties did not return a call for comment on the incident.

The victim was not wearing a hard hat at the time, Baldwin said. On its website, OSHA suggests that construction sites include debris netting and that all people on the site wear hard hats.

A representative of AJD Construction, who was at the site after the fatal accident this morning, declined to comment.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... ty_construction_site.html
this is so sad that the guy died for nothing. why doesn't jc construction sites use netting? why was this guy not wearing a hardhat?

Posted on: 2014/11/4 14:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/18 15:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The union has filed complaints about Jersey City's construction site and those complaints are on filed in the state. If interested, I suggest to do an OPERA.

Something by Verdi, perhaps?

Posted on: 2014/11/4 13:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
The union has filed complaints about Jersey City's construction site and those complaints are on filed in the state. If interested, I suggest to do an OPERA.

Posted on: 2014/11/4 2:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/19 0:07
From Pizza City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PathH8Tr wrote:
I walked past a construction site for that new tall building behind Shoprite and there was brick falling OFF the building. You could see bits of brick scattered on the road and sidewalk etc. I witnessed a chunk the size of a softball fall in front of me. I talked to a woman with a baby stroller to warn them, I (and I think she) called and complained to the city etc. They put better signage up to make sure pedestrians cross the street but the problem is the brick was over on the side where the sidewalk is. The site has since moved on from doing the brickwork but this post on the other lax scenario has me re-think my walk to work.

I saw you just after this happened. I was driving up Marin Blvd and knew from the looks on your faces that it was serious. You were looking around trying to see if anyone at the job site could do anything about it. I'm glad to read that you stopped the woman from entering the danger zone and that you found someone else who cared enough to do something about it. I have to wonder why it took you, just a regular guy walking down the street, to get something done about bricks falling from construction sites. Where was everyone else who supposed to be doing this stuff?

Posted on: 2014/11/4 2:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCman24 wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Sounds like crap to me - Safety officials should investigate as should Police - A pound of tape doesn't simply fall off.

I hope they perform an angle of projectile motion equation on where the guy was from the building to the height they claim it fell from. If it 'just' fell, then the guy would be directly next to the building. Also the construction co. should be sued and fined for failing their safety obligations - Things like this don't happen unless some-one is taking short-cuts.

Often stupid behavior or what one individual thinks might be funny have caused many deaths on building sites.

Resized Image

Looking at the photos on the first thread, it shows a Volvo truck with sheet-rock on the tray - The first thing I'd like to know is who was on-site working on the floors above. My first suspect would be how owns the tape measure. I have been on a site whereby sheet-rock fitters and plasterers would drop stones on these boards to create more work to patch. There are also situations when pranks got out of hand and injuries occurred.

Fuckin' internet detectives...

FAB has a point - and knows the construction business. The construction workers I know, mess around all the time. Prank gone wrong is much more likely than freak accident.

Posted on: 2014/11/4 2:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PathH8Tr wrote:
I walked past a construction site for that new tall building behind Shoprite and there was brick falling OFF the building. You could see bits of brick scattered on the road and sidewalk etc. I witnessed a chunk the size of a softball fall in front of me. I talked to a woman with a baby stroller to warn them, I (and I think she) called and complained to the city etc. They put better signage up to make sure pedestrians cross the street but the problem is the brick was over on the side where the sidewalk is. The site has since moved on from doing the brickwork but this post on the other lax scenario has me re-think my walk to work.

When the temps get below freezing -the biggest danger is sheets of ice falling off tall buildings.

Posted on: 2014/11/4 2:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/19 0:07
From Pizza City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Actually, the union does complain but most of these jobs are non-union. The union goes around visiting job sites. It doesn't matter if it is non union. I met an union rep there at the Liberty Harbor North and he explained the hazards that was happening at the moment.

You must of been talking to an idiot - Occupational Health and Safety is serious business and a union rep will start to seek voluntary compliance from the construction co, then if that fails, they go directly to the authority and shut the place down until the safety hazard is fixed.
Once again do your homework Yvonne, shutting down an unsafe site is VERY easy to do. There is always a back-door to positive union involvement, as most if not all sites are made up of sub-contracting firms that can be spoken to off-site regarding safety of their staff on a particular non-union site! A simple question to them is "are you prepared to send your staff to an unsafe work site and now that you have been enlightened of those safety concerns, your ignorance is none and void of accountability if something happens to your staff there?"

Yvonne must have been talking to an idiot in the City? Hahahaha

Posted on: 2014/11/4 2:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/27 14:41
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Sounds like crap to me - Safety officials should investigate as should Police - A pound of tape doesn't simply fall off.

I hope they perform an angle of projectile motion equation on where the guy was from the building to the height they claim it fell from. If it 'just' fell, then the guy would be directly next to the building. Also the construction co. should be sued and fined for failing their safety obligations - Things like this don't happen unless some-one is taking short-cuts.

Often stupid behavior or what one individual thinks might be funny have caused many deaths on building sites.

Resized Image

Looking at the photos on the first thread, it shows a Volvo truck with sheet-rock on the tray - The first thing I'd like to know is who was on-site working on the floors above. My first suspect would be how owns the tape measure. I have been on a site whereby sheet-rock fitters and plasterers would drop stones on these boards to create more work to patch. There are also situations when pranks got out of hand and injuries occurred.

Fuckin' internet detectives...

Posted on: 2014/11/4 1:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/11/4 0:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Actually, the union does complain but most of these jobs are non-union. The union goes around visiting job sites. It doesn't matter if it is non union. I met an union rep there at the Liberty Harbor North and he explained the hazards that was happening at the moment.

You must of been talking to an idiot - Occupational Health and Safety is serious business and a union rep will start to seek voluntary compliance from the construction co, then if that fails, they go directly to the authority and shut the place down until the safety hazard is fixed.
Once again do your homework Yvonne, shutting down an unsafe site is VERY easy to do. There is always a back-door to positive union involvement, as most if not all sites are made up of sub-contracting firms that can be spoken to off-site regarding safety of their staff on a particular non-union site! A simple question to them is "are you prepared to send your staff to an unsafe work site and now that you have been enlightened of those safety concerns, your ignorance is none and void of accountability if something happens to your staff there?"

Posted on: 2014/11/4 0:35
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/11/4 0:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OSHA suggests that construction sites include debris netting and that all people on the site wear hard hats.

A representative of AJD Construction, who was at the site after the fatal accident this morning, declined to comment.

Where was the Union demanding debris netting - Members should be screaming at them for failing them?
In NY it is a law that debris netting is installed on all building sites.
I hope the directors of AJD Construction are personally sued too.

Posted on: 2014/11/4 0:04
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Years ago, I complained at a council meeting about workers at Liberty Harbor North who were working without harasses, high in the air. I was told to bring my complaint to the state, this is not city hall responsibility.

Posted on: 2014/11/3 23:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Probe of fatal accident shuts down Downtown Jersey City construction site

A man delivering sheet rock at a construction site at 70-90 Columbus Drive in Downtown Jersey City was killed when a tape measure fell 50 stories and struck him in the head on Monday, Nov. 3, 2014.

The construction site in Downtown Jersey City where a man died this morning in a freak accident has halted work while the incident is investigated.

Officials from the Occupational Safety and Health Administration confirmed the federal agency has sent investigators to the site where the man who was delivering sheet rock to 70-90 Columbus Drive was struck by a 1-pound tape measure that had fallen 50 stories.

Jersey City public safety spokeswoman Carly Baldwin said the tape measure became dislodged from a worker's belt on the 50th floor and then struck construction equipment between 10 and 15 feet from the ground and then ricocheted into the victim's head. The victim's name has not yet been released.

The project at 70-90 Columbus Dr. includes two 50-story residential towers and an attached hotel. It is being developed jointly by Panepinto Properties and Ironstate Development. Panepinto Properties did not return a call for comment on the incident.

The victim was not wearing a hard hat at the time, Baldwin said. On its website, OSHA suggests that construction sites include debris netting and that all people on the site wear hard hats.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... ty_construction_site.html

Posted on: 2014/11/3 23:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
The article also says it bounced off of metal 10 feet from the ground first before hitting him. What are the odds...

Posted on: 2014/11/3 23:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users

Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/11/3 22:27

Edited by fat-ass-bike on 2014/11/3 22:50:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 1:00
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
It would have had to have happened on the site. Why would the guy be getting out of the truck before driving the cargo into the construction area?

Posted on: 2014/11/3 21:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bill wrote:
so sad, I wonder if it happened in a public space or was it within the actual construction site. Should I buy a hardhat if I use the eastern Path entrance? Would a hardhat even protect me!?

Maybe I am naive but I would be shocked if this happened in a public area. No way would they subject themselves to the possibility of hurting random people by having such an unsafe site.

I'd bet a lot of money this unfortunate accident occurred on the construction site itself, and was made worse by the fact the guy wasn't wearing a helmet.

Posted on: 2014/11/3 19:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/14 15:34
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I feel for the man and his family.

It is scarey stuff I walk by here most mornings between 8:30 & 9am. I've often thought that it was not properly setup to prevent such an accident.

Posted on: 2014/11/3 19:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
In a crowded area, netting should be up. I have seen this on other sites except JC.

Posted on: 2014/11/3 19:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
so sad, I wonder if it happened in a public space or was it within the actual construction site. Should I buy a hardhat if I use the eastern Path entrance? Would a hardhat even protect me!?

Posted on: 2014/11/3 18:22

Man dies in freak accident at Jersey City construction site
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

A man delivering sheet rock to a construction site in Downtown Jersey City this morning died after a freak accident there, Jersey City officials confirmed.

The man, who has not been identified, was making a delivery at Marin Boulevard and Christopher Columbus Drive when he was struck by a 1-pound tape measure that had fallen from the 50th floor of the building at about 8:45 a.m., Jersey City public safety spokeswoman Carly Baldwin said this morning.

More

Posted on: 2014/11/3 17:17

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017