Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
122 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 122

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Considering a move from DT to JSQ or Heights - any tips here?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

mikerush wrote:
Sold my 2 family house in downtown.
Bought a two family on Sherman in the heights for half the price.
3 times the space.
I have a driveway and back yard now.
I love my new neighborhood.
(drops mic)

Except your DT house will appreciate faster than your heights house in value, you are at least 45 minutes away from NYC on a good day, you need to drive everywhere, and your house now will never sell for as much as your DT house....

But besides that, that was a great deal
with a car; one can be in midtown in 10 minutes from the Heights; 20 minutes on the jitney

Posted on: 2014/10/31 7:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mikerush wrote:
3 times the space.
(drops mic)

Except your DT house will appreciate faster than your heights house in value, you are at least 45 minutes away from NYC on a good day, you need to drive everywhere, and your house now will never sell for as much as your DT house....

But besides that, that was a great deal

Posted on: 2014/10/31 4:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

mikerush wrote:
3 times the space.
(drops mic)

Can you shorten that to a "Heights Haiku"?

Honestly, thanks, I needed that. I just returned home from another long day trying to finish the reno of a rental between the reservoir and Palisade. I believe in the Heights, but the investor/landlord/renovator thing can wear you down. I'm taking a place that looked literally like a dump and turning into one (I hope) will make prospective tenants gasp. You remind me that's it's worth it, that I'll get tenants that value what I've done.

Posted on: 2014/10/31 3:32

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/21 0:04
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
3 times the space.
(drops mic)

Posted on: 2014/10/31 3:02

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/15 6:51
From Bergen Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
The reservoir is open every Saturday until 4pm, and Monday to Friday from 3pm until dusk. It is very nice and you can go fishing.

The Heights is a nice place to live. There are activities every weeken (galleries, music events, fundraisers,etc) there is a tight community of.involved people and it has been easy to meet new people and become part of this community.. Three nice bars: AJs, trolley bar and the corkscrew. Many fun ethnicity.restaurants. In fact, two.of.the best Puerto Rican spots are on Central Ave. Peruvian and mexican food also good.
There are two community gardens, one with excellent views of.the city.

Love living in the heights.

Posted on: 2014/10/31 2:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I've lived in the Heights for 6 years (Sherman Avenue and Franklin Street). Ogden Avenue is indeed the nicest street around, and it's true the character of other parts of the east Heights vary dramatically. If you end up looking around my area, shoot me a PM - there are lots of houses and condos on the market; the market for houses probably a better bet, as there was a glut of unfinished condo conversions not so long ago.

If you work/socialize in midtown Manhattan, you will not lack for easy decent, quick travel options. If you need to get to lower Manhattan like I do, allow 45 minutes to 1 hour and a 2-fare trip (unless you don't mind a 25-30 minute walk to the PATH station); I've found the 87 bus to/from Hoboken to be awfully inconsistent, often waiting in Hoboken for 15 to 20 minutes at rush hour for a bus and taking longer than it would to walk. The 87 to JSQ is better, if you need to get to WTC or Wall Street.

Hopefully you read Mark Bitman's article in Time Magazine - Whole Foods is over priced and over-rated and IMO, unnecessary. Between Stop & Shop, El Supremo, and the little grocery on Central Avenue (east side, between Franklin and Hutton Streets, I can never remember the name...) which has all sorts of fun Indian specialties, including fresh curry leaves, you'll be cooking up a storm.

If you hate Yoga, as I do, the Heights is actually surprisingly pleasant for biking - unlike DTJC and Newport, there's not a lot of through traffic, we now have bike lanes (!!), and heading down the West Slope and back up again gives you an insane workout!

Finally, JC is funding improvements to Reservoir #3, right now its only open when the non-profit Reservoir Alliance has a special event, but it is an absolutely magical place.

Posted on: 2014/10/30 18:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 11:22
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Recently went on walkabout and checked out the Heights (I own and live DT in Liberty Harbor North).

Absolutely loved the stretch of Ogden from Riverview Park to Congress Street. That little stretch has a lot of potential given its reasonably proximity to the 9th Street HBLR station in Hobes.

The rest of 'Heights felt hit or miss and varied widely block by block. Definitely a lot of potential, a bit like how Red Hook in Brooklyn gets a lot of play today despite not having direct subway access.

The usual signs of early gentrification were present -- ModCup, the yoga studio, pricey strollers, small children in the park. The absence of a path train link will limit growth but in a way that also ensures that it remains attainable for many.

Posted on: 2014/10/28 21:29

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/3/27 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
When I first came to JC for college in '96 I thought the heights was a middle of the road area that had not declined as much as other areas but thought would not change that much in either direction. After school I first ended up in JSQ area and for past 7 yrs been in the heights (although on edge closer to JSQ).

It is an interesting chicken and egg situation as far as new businesses coming to cater to incoming people in an area.
It seems that my original assessment of the heights was wrong as the changing demographic is very noticeable in past couple of years - especially when I run down Ogden Ave, check out farmers' market/Mod Cup area. This seems like the epicenter of whatever you want to call the newer arrivals to the area.

As of now what businesses are catering to these people? It seems like definitely ModCup and probably the yoga studio that is opening on Central Ave. but not much else so I would think with the critical mass of people and cheaper retail rents/many vacancies that there might be other opportunities for someone with a vision to implement a new business.

I am definitely also rooting for JSQ but as of now there seems to be few if any restaurants/retail/etc catering to newer arrivals - although over the past few years I have noticed more diners who are not just Indian on Newark Ave. I am sincerely curious as to what the storefronts along JFK in JSQ area will look like in 10 or so years after all of this development that we hear about takes place.

Posted on: 2014/10/28 21:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Going a little farther out there is Astor Bar?

Quote:

jcman420 wrote:
In all seriousness, can someone point me to a decent bar (or any bar, actually) within a few blocks of JSQ other than the Journal Square Pub? I realize Sinai restaurant probably also has a bar in it.

Kind of insane that for a place that people keep saying is on the rise, there's barely a spot to even grab a drink.

It?s a chicken or egg conundrum. You can?t just plop down a nice bar in the middle of the area and hope for the best. The people craving that will need to come first.

An area ?on the rise? is by definition not going to have the full amenities of an area that is already established.

Posted on: 2014/10/27 15:46
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 3:42
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
Agree, not nearly as many choices as downtown.

Off the top of my head, bars next to JSQ:
-Europa (never been)
-Jack Millers (dive)
-Pete and Ted's (dive)
-JSQ pub
-Sinai
-think there is one of two on Newark

Any others?

Posted on: 2014/10/25 12:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcman420 wrote:
In all seriousness, can someone point me to a decent bar (or any bar, actually) within a few blocks of JSQ other than the Journal Square Pub? I realize Sinai restaurant probably also has a bar in it.

Kind of insane that for a place that people keep saying is on the rise, there's barely a spot to even grab a drink.

There is a bar I went to a few times, cant remember the name its at the back of the station across the road from Dunkin Donuts. Its sort of swanky not a dive bar, but pretty fun.

Posted on: 2014/10/24 16:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/28 15:24
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/10/24 16:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
It's too bad the eastern slope isn't gentle like the western slope, where you have stunning views of the industrial zone and the wetlands. You'd have NYC views from 3 or 4 avenues, instead of just the east side of Ogden. You can get view of sorts from the 3rd fl of my place on Palisade. Maybe someday I'll do the roofdeck thing there, though I don't know how long the payback for that would be, seems expensive.

Posted on: 2014/10/22 2:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Personally, I think one of the nicest areas of JC is the area with views overlooking NYC/Hoboken skyline in the Heights.
i agree Riverview has some awesome views of Manhattan

Posted on: 2014/10/22 1:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Personally, I think one of the nicest areas of JC is the area with views overlooking NYC/Hoboken skyline in the Heights.

Posted on: 2014/10/22 0:36

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/2/23 1:38
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Here's a thread on 333 Fairmount, some good info in there:
http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=32907

Quote:

elonepb wrote:
Anyone have any experience looking at / buying in 333 Fairmount?

Going to take a look there and the Canco Lofts although I'm already against Canco just given the walk to the PATH and the reviews I've read from tenants.

Posted on: 2014/10/21 19:37

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Re: Western Slope, it's super cute over there, but it is not a 10-15 min walk to the PATH. It's minimum (from Spruce) a 15 min walk, from Lincoln St it's about 30, and the northernmost end is easily 45 min.

Posted on: 2014/10/21 19:23

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/25 22:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcguy05 wrote:
Look for the saint johns condos (201/225 saint pauls, 10 huron)...

Weird, they don't take pets! Any town planning on revitalizing itself better be ready for the dogs!

Posted on: 2014/10/21 17:16

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Anyone have any experience looking at / buying in 333 Fairmount?

Going to take a look there and the Canco Lofts although I'm already against Canco just given the walk to the PATH and the reviews I've read from tenants.

Posted on: 2014/10/21 16:58

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/25 16:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
The one negative about the square there is not a lot of housing stock around the station so where ever you go you will have to walk to the PATH.

Definitely-- it's pretty difficult to find a place right by the Square. This became apparent rather quickly during our housing search last year. However, some of the blocks further from the station are actually nicer, so there's that to keep in mind as well.

We chose the McGinley Square/Lincoln Park area over the Heights because 1) It's more affordable. The Heights was already too expensive for us. 2) We were leaning more towards a condo than a house, and we preferred the condos in the McGinley Sq area, architecturally/aesthetically. 3) We wanted to be no more than a 15 minute walk to the JSQ PATH; this rules out a chunk of the Heights. We didn't want to have to rely on another form of transportation to get to the PATH. But we always have the option, if we don't feel like walking the 15 minutes, to take a bus to the PATH, which is nice.

Just my opinion/experience.

Posted on: 2014/10/21 14:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
The one negative about the square there is not a lot of housing stock around the station so where ever you go you will have to walk to the PATH. When I was looking back in 2011, top thing on my wish list not more than a five minute walk to a station and not a bus stop. So I looked at brownstones near the Garfield ave station, row houses near Liberty State Park station, Victorians and Colonials near the Danforth and Richard street stations and more brownstones, row houses near MLK and West Side ave stations. I use to live near Lincoln Park/Journal Square area and hated it due to the walk to the PATH. I passed on the Heights due to they depend too much on jitneys and that is not for me. Jersey City is huge so I say look everywhere you are sure to find something you like.

Posted on: 2014/10/21 13:22

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/12 3:28
Group:
Registered Users
I would recommend that you take a look in the Heights. More specifically, the Western Slope area. Closer to JSQ. Check out Liberty Avenue to Summit Avenue and from Spruce Street to Lincoln Street. You can even dip down to Western Ave a bit?. Its all bout a 10-15 minute walk to JSQ PATH?I bought several homes as an investment 4 years ago and they are doing great. My home values have increased as well as the tenant quality. As I go jogging around the neighborhood with my dog, I am witnessing the neighborhood change for the better. As more people come in to purchase homes and rid absentee landlords the care and pride start to revive the blocks. Renovations, New Construction, better looking front yards. Kids playing on the sidewalks?Are there still shit sandwiches here and there, sure there are. But that can be anywhere. Eventually that goes too; with the proper procedures and tactics. The area is safe. I go running all hours of the day or night and I see other people running too. The only thing i can say we are lacking is a real supermaket. But thanks to my 2 car garage, i am able to drive where i need to go and not be concerned if i will find valid parking.... Good Luck!!

Posted on: 2014/10/21 13:15

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/22 17:15
Group:
Registered Users
The heights is a large area but the northeastern section by Riverview is exploding right now with young families. I heard people on the 87 talking about the neighborhood--he asked her if she liked it here and she said "Yes. It's really close to Hoboken." She asked him if he liked it and he said "Yeah. I barbecue now in my backyard. It's awesome." So it's priorities. I do see the money being poured into Journal Square and I don't see that in the Heights but it's got lots of 2-family houses and if you like Hoboken, you walk 2 short blocks and there you are. In 20 years I think both places will have appreciated--which one more? It's anyone's guess.

Posted on: 2014/10/21 13:09

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you for all the help here y'all! What a great, responsive and informed community.

Posted on: 2014/10/21 12:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/21 14:20
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

elonepb wrote:
Hi all,

The GF and I are currently living in DTJC, specifically on Mercer and Barrow (one of my favorite blocks I've ever lived on). We love downtown, love the growth, neighbors, restaurants etc. Now normally this is pretty much meeting all the check marks for purchasing a home, but it feels like that spike has happened way before we were ready and aren't getting a lot of bang for the buck.

Thinking longer term, we are considering purchase a home in the Heights or JSQ area. GF works in the city so the JSQ PATH seems like a better choice, but I'm not very familiar with the neighborhoods, streets, safety, restaurants, etc. I know the Heights has that damn elevator, then light rail, then PATH... seems a bit of a pain. I drive to work so I'm not concerned.

We are willing to take a cut in the neighborhood amenities knowing downtown is the "hot" spot right now, but just want to have an idea of where we might want to look that has the big growth potential while also being a nice place to live, walk the dog, parks (dog park!), walk to eat, jog, etc.

Really appreciate the community's help here!

Don't move to the heights, move to JSQ by the path especially if you are buying not just renting. There is a massive inflow of cash coming to that area from the mayor's effort and the area is going to improve with future potentials both as a place to live and as an investment, with easy transportation next door.

Look for the saint johns condos (201/225 saint pauls, 10 huron), slightly cheaper you have the liberty condos (75 liberty ave), more luxury new construction you have the canco loft (although i don't recommend it, the value isn't there given the price and high condo fees, might as well just buy in downtown if you paying that kind of money).

I am always wary south of jsq path, seems shady. Maybe the area improved recently i haven't been there for a while. I would recommend north of jsq, it's the better/safer part with little india close by.

Posted on: 2014/10/21 8:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JCCheerleader wrote:
Oh yee of little knowledge, there are several parks in Journal Square: The triangle SIP Park outside of the Culinary Arts Institute with it's cool water feature and well done landscaping, LaPonte Park, Boyd Mc-Ginness Park, part of Lincoln Park, and the one that's outside of #11 School, the oldest continuous operating school in America. That one's not the best but it is a park. There are two new parks in the works. One at the corner of Montgomery and Bergen Aves. being built by St. Peter's University and one that'll eventually be behind the Path Station. Someone told me that Reservoir #3 is technically in Journal Square but I'm not sure if that's true.

I appreciate your boosterism for your hood, but those are some tiny parkspaces with the only green being a few trees. If it's what you got you make the most of it, but by acreage, it's pretty minimal. And while the Reservoir is in ward C, Ward D does not define the Heights, you won't find anyone who'll say anything below Manhattan or Franklin is JSQ! 139 is the accepted line.

Lets hope lots of areas of JC see improvement, but lets also be clear eyed about their merits and faults.

Hilltop is nice but small with little inventory. Few years ago we had a contract on a place there and the scummy Coldwell Banker broker accepted a higher offer while we in attorney review. Rather than counter we told her to F&*k herself.

Posted on: 2014/10/21 3:46

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Oh, and +1 on Hilltop/The Island. That was my # 1 choice, just couldn't find anything after a year of looking....but am super duper happy with Astor Pl. :)

Posted on: 2014/10/21 3:33

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Are you talking neighborhoods or districts? Hood-wise I think Lincoln Park is Westside or as real estate people call that area...Lincoln Park. But district-wise, I would think it's JSQ. Same with McGinley Sq.

I never see consistent names and boundaries for neighborhoods, so I try to be super-specific when I talk about a neighborhood, just in case it's a borderline/double-name area.

Posted on: 2014/10/21 3:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 3:42
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
I agree with the handful of posters below reccomending you look around "The Island" neighborhood.

Posted on: 2014/10/21 3:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
is lincoln park really part of the jsq hood? lincoln park is FAR imo. for that matter, is mcginley square really part of jsq?

Posted on: 2014/10/21 3:13

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017