Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
132 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 132

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: TRAFFIC!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

chainsawhand wrote:
Quote:

cheeful wrote:
those going fewer than 5 miles for example -- is up to 45 minutes!

I wonder how long it would take for a bike to go 5 miles.

In my experience, riding a bike in an urban environment while following the rules of the road (stopping at red lights and stop signs) works out to anywhere between 4 to 5 minutes per mile.

Really? 15 mph average with all those stops seem pretty high. A lot of riders don't go faster than that flat out.

True. But, like I said, that's MY experience. A couple of things go into that number: the more you get a feel for the area, and the more familiar you are with traffic patterns, the better your time average. I know what streets to use and turn into in order to avoid getting stuck at red lights or STOP signs. My average speed (on a track or isolated road) is around 20 or 22 MPH, for up to an hour. Over a three hour stretch, it drops to about 18 MPH. 5 minutes per mile works out to about 12 MPH. That's a fairly leisurely pace. But, again, that's my experience and current fitness level. Some people will find it slow, others impossibly high. BTW, as a reference, I have done 42 miles from Stamford, CT to downtown JC, and it took exactly 3 hours, which works out to 14 MPH. That included a few stops in areas I wasn't familiar with so I could check/verify my course.

Posted on: 2014/10/18 18:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

chainsawhand wrote:
Quote:

cheeful wrote:

In my experience, riding a bike in an urban environment while following the rules of the road (stopping at red lights and stop signs) works out to anywhere between 4 to 5 minutes per mile.

Really? 15 mph average with all those stops seem pretty high. A lot of riders don't go faster than that flat out.

Posted on: 2014/10/18 16:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

chainsawhand wrote:
Quote:

cheeful wrote:

Posted on: 2014/10/18 11:48

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/21 0:12
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

cheeful wrote:

Posted on: 2014/10/18 3:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Seriously, does no one in the permit dept look at a map and say: "gee, if we allow 4 closed streets all in the same area that will cause a problem". There have been times they closed 2 of the 3 routes from Downtown to Hoboken at the same time.

Wed they had Brunswick, Monmouth and Jersey Ave (north) all blocked off for roadworks. That takes real genius planning.

Posted on: 2014/10/18 1:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, lots more panhandlers because so many more cars are stopped at the 440N intersection. What I don't understand are the hordes of young kids, unattended by their parent(s), doing the same on all sides of that intersection on the weekends. They dart in and out of traffic and stand in the islands as well. It's truly an accident waiting to happen.

Quote:

ZACKyBoy wrote:
I have mapped out a route to get to the Pulaski headed
to Newark in the morning to avoid as much as traffic.
It's pretty good.

On the way home take the Turnpike to downtown.
It's funny to see the cops posted at the intersection of
Communipaw coming of the Turnpike, and then have
panhandlers walk right up to the car begging for money.
The cops do absolutely nothing to help with traffic.

I think they are there more to look inside cars to inspect
drivers coming into town.

Posted on: 2014/10/18 0:45

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 1:37
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I have mapped out a route to get to the Pulaski headed
to Newark in the morning to avoid as much as traffic.
It's pretty good.

On the way home take the Turnpike to downtown.
It's funny to see the cops posted at the intersection of
Communipaw coming of the Turnpike, and then have
panhandlers walk right up to the car begging for money.
The cops do absolutely nothing to help with traffic.

I think they are there more to look inside cars to inspect
drivers coming into town.

Posted on: 2014/10/18 0:25

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/5 22:41
Group:
Registered Users
An early morning fatal accident took out a pole on Baldwin Ave near St. Joseph's church. Several local roads are/were? blocked off creating a cluster of traffic throught the Hilltop.

Posted on: 2014/10/17 23:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
There's normal traffic, then there's the clusterf&*k that simultaneously closed streets and lanes can make. Like they did today to anyone trying to get anywhere around HP and up the Newark hill. Holy hell!! Wed I called 547 5477 to tell them that 139 & Palisade was gridlocked and they needed a cop there. The girl on the phone needed the term explained!

Seriously, does no one in the permit dept look at a map and say: "gee, if we allow 4 closed streets all in the same area that will cause a problem". There have been times they closed 2 of the 3 routes from Downtown to Hoboken at the same time.

Posted on: 2014/10/17 23:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/27 14:41
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Everyone complains about traffic as if they aren't part of the problem. You're not stuck in traffic, you are traffic.

Posted on: 2014/10/17 22:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Kind of ironic in a way that speed bumps were recently installed. You can't really go fast anywhere at anytime of day as Jersey City has morphed into a giant parking lot. It should get better though once those more than 10,000 units are up and running. None of those residents will have cars or so we're told. Patience.

"You can't really go fast anywhere at anytime of day as Jersey City"

Hyperbole much?

That being said, as cities become more populated, traffic does increase. It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone so complaining about it on JClist is pointless. JC is growing whether you like it or not.

Posted on: 2014/10/17 21:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Kind of ironic in a way that speed bumps were recently installed. You can't really go fast anywhere at anytime of day as Jersey City has morphed into a giant parking lot. It should get better though once those more than 10,000 units are up and running. None of those residents will have cars or so we're told. Patience.

Posted on: 2014/10/17 19:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
You're killing me, you better hope I don't see you this weekend!

Quote:

nemobeatz wrote:
Simmer down now officer, we all know you're in deep cover. =P

Quote:

Monroe wrote:
It's a ruse, bodiphooh!

Of course, you know me and know I'm not a cop, which is why it's even more funny!

Posted on: 2014/10/17 17:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/14 15:19
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Simmer down now officer, we all know you're in deep cover. =P

Quote:

Monroe wrote:
It's a ruse, bodiphooh!

Of course, you know me and know I'm not a cop, which is why it's even more funny!

Posted on: 2014/10/17 17:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
It's a ruse, bodiphooh!

Posted on: 2014/10/17 16:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Other than making overtime, I have no idea what role the extra cops assigned to help the added Pulaski Skyway diversion traffic are doing, especially along Communipaw. I never see them doing anything other than standing by the side of the road-the only exception being where the Lincoln Park traffic exits at the Communipaw/440 light. Those guys step out in traffic and do a bit of direction. The rest, I've never seen one do anything to help the flow.

Quote:

cheeful wrote:
Is there any indication that the Fulop administration is actively managing the traffic situation in the city? The morning and evening "commute" for city residents -- those going fewer than 5 miles for example -- is up to 45 minutes!....Are there conversations with the DOT about this? Are the Police posted at many intersections helping in some fashion? The Fulop team should be interested for the amount of fuel wasted and pollution created if for no other reason. How can this matter be elevated to see some solutions?

Two comments:

1. The ones on Pacific are not different. In fact, I would say that the one stationed at the corner of Pacific and Johnston is making matters worse. I got stuck at that intersection yesterday, and he was prioritizing the cars coming over Johnston (who are, obviously, mostly out of town commuters avoiding the Columbus Dr exit) over the Pacific traffic, causing gridlock. At one point, he stopped letting people turn into Pacific and forced them to go up to Grand. It was a crazy mess.

2. Isn't it ironic that you get accused of being a cop? And, yet, here you are complaining about cops. :)

Posted on: 2014/10/17 14:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Other than making overtime, I have no idea what role the extra cops assigned to help the added Pulaski Skyway diversion traffic are doing, especially along Communipaw. I never see them doing anything other than standing by the side of the road-the only exception being where the Lincoln Park traffic exits at the Communipaw/440 light. Those guys step out in traffic and do a bit of direction. The rest, I've never seen one do anything to help the flow.

Quote:

cheeful wrote:
Is there any indication that the Fulop administration is actively managing the traffic situation in the city? The morning and evening "commute" for city residents -- those going fewer than 5 miles for example -- is up to 45 minutes!....Are there conversations with the DOT about this? Are the Police posted at many intersections helping in some fashion? The Fulop team should be interested for the amount of fuel wasted and pollution created if for no other reason. How can this matter be elevated to see some solutions?

Posted on: 2014/10/17 13:36

TRAFFIC!

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/17 13:39
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/10/17 13:06

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017