Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
131 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 131

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Old building on Newark may fall. Street Closed
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
I walked down Newark yesterday. All buildings are open, and it looks like they are continuing work on Hard Grove.

Posted on: 2014/10/16 15:34

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/14 19:09
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Ok besides the few on this post that are too busy arguing with each other, does anyone know if they stabilized the building or has the structure been completely compromised that it may need to be demolished altogether?

Are any of the businesses around the building open?

Posted on: 2014/10/16 12:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/2 20:54
Group:
Banned
Could you find time to flex your mighty intellect and explain why you attempted to make race an issue in a story about a building falling down to construction work on a development?

Could you explain why you connected to to the former Mayor of New Orleans on a purely racial basis, without even acknowledging that he was convicted of corruption for taking bribes from developers, something that we are no stranger to here in JC?

Could you explain how you aren't a race baiter and a troll?

Posted on: 2014/10/15 15:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Old-Skool-JC wrote:
Goes from accusing me of being intellectually worthless to using "dem fancy-schmancy college boy words", all without addressing anything in my post.

There's nothing to address. You haven't made any points. You're debating a joke. Get a hobby, chief.

Posted on: 2014/10/15 15:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Goes from accusing me of being intellectually worthless to using "dem fancy-schmancy college boy words", all without addressing anything in my post.

Posted on: 2014/10/15 15:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
I love OS's turnaround from "kill whitey" rhetoric to making an obvious effort to use more SAT-grade words to flex the intellectual muscle.

All the while failing to see the obvious humor in the comments preceding said post.

Bravo on the use of schadenfreude! Extra points! This game is fun!

Posted on: 2014/10/15 15:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Apropos of nothing, these two below, completely between themselves construct an imagined scenario of comments and react to it, in a race baiting manner that leads, in a few short posts, to racially tinged about Katrina and schadenfreude about Ray Nagin's fall from grace.

Not only is this clearly the work of two mentally ill people, not unlike schizophrenics or street drunks, railing against and arguing with phantom commentators, there is such a strikingly obvious connection between the start and end of the tangential path they trod that I can't even imagine the state of a mind that fails to make it.

Let me spell it out for you.
A building is in danger of collapsing on Newark Ave due to construction work.
Ray Nagin was convicted of accepting bribes from contractors.
Jersey City has a solid history of corruption in the building dept.

While bending over backwards to make this about race you ignore the real villain in this story - corruption.

Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

JackieCruise wrote:
They are losing a days business and that has to be financially hurting them big time especially if this thing stretches out very long.

I can guarantee you that some people here on JCLIST are positively giddy at the prospect of some of those stores being forced under.

Agreed. To dovetail that, there are probably others on here already formulating a racial or other conspiracy component to this story to force out the lower end stores.

Let's get it all out of the way now for these one trick ponies:

"RACISTS!"
"RACISM!"
"Greedy 1%ers!"
"DISCRIMINATION!"
"CHRISTIE'S FAULT!"
"FULOP'S HIRES DID IT!"

That about covers most if not all of the idiots on here.

Ha ha ha! So sad, and true. This reminds me of Katrina in 2005, when people claimed (and many more chose to believe) that some levees in NOLA were dynamited by the government in order to protect the well to do areas from widespread flooding.

Wait, you mean you didn't believe what the corrupt and racist (and indicted) Ray Nagin was saying at the time? You're a racist!

Wow, it's actually kinda fun being a simpleton. Way easier than actually debating a topic on an intellectual basis!

Fun post script to the Katrina nonsense: Nagin now claims he is "penniless and on food stamps" God bless Karma.

Posted on: 2014/10/15 15:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/7 4:11
Group:
Registered Users
Ok.... back to the original topic of the thread. Does anybody yet know if the way they stabilized the foundation is permanent? Or can it be made permanent? Or does the building have to come down?

Posted on: 2014/10/15 14:50
I'm not perfect.....but I'm not all bad either.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

JackieCruise wrote:
They are losing a days business and that has to be financially hurting them big time especially if this thing stretches out very long.

I can guarantee you that some people here on JCLIST are positively giddy at the prospect of some of those stores being forced under.

Agreed. To dovetail that, there are probably others on here already formulating a racial or other conspiracy component to this story to force out the lower end stores.

"RACISTS!"
"RACISM!"
"Greedy 1%ers!"
"DISCRIMINATION!"
"CHRISTIE'S FAULT!"
"FULOP'S HIRES DID IT!"

Ha ha ha! So sad, and true. This reminds me of Katrina in 2005, when people claimed (and many more chose to believe) that some levees in NOLA were dynamited by the government in order to protect the well to do areas from widespread flooding.

Wait, you mean you didn't believe what the corrupt and racist (and indicted) Ray Nagin was saying at the time? You're a racist!

Wow, it's actually kinda fun being a simpleton. Way easier than actually debating a topic on an intellectual basis!

Fun post script to the Katrina nonsense: Nagin now claims he is "penniless and on food stamps" God bless Karma.

Posted on: 2014/10/15 14:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

JackieCruise wrote:

"RACISTS!"
"RACISM!"
"Greedy 1%ers!"
"DISCRIMINATION!"
"CHRISTIE'S FAULT!"
"FULOP'S HIRES DID IT!"

Posted on: 2014/10/15 14:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

skyl4rk wrote:
Why are there so many vacant appearing buildings on Newark Ave? The upper floors of 139 Newark Ave - to the left of the vacant lot - have been vacant for years despite looking relatively new.

Some buildings, I think, don't even have access to the upper floors any more. Check if the buildings you are speaking of still have doors, other than those of the stores, at street level.

Posted on: 2014/10/15 13:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

JackieCruise wrote:

"RACISTS!"
"RACISM!"
"Greedy 1%ers!"
"DISCRIMINATION!"
"CHRISTIE'S FAULT!"
"FULOP'S HIRES DID IT!"

Posted on: 2014/10/15 13:30

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/18 7:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sutherland wrote:
Did this impact the building where the new Porta is going to be? I hear it's amazing inside. I can't wait of the opening. Porta is really going to set the bar for a good restaurant and entertainment venue in general.

Yeah, I am real impressed at the work Porta is doing at that spot as well. They completely gut renovated the space, added a roof top bar, and huge windows on Columbus. I wonder how much all that cost.

Posted on: 2014/10/15 13:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

JackieCruise wrote:

Yes! Make room for an artisanal apple cider store and some bars with brick walls and 20 TVs! Screw those poors.

Posted on: 2014/10/15 13:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/18 14:36
Group:
Registered Users
Did this impact the building where the new Porta is going to be? I hear it's amazing inside. I can't wait of the opening. Porta is really going to set the bar for a good restaurant and entertainment venue in general.

Posted on: 2014/10/15 13:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JackieCruise wrote:

Posted on: 2014/10/15 13:12

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
Why are there so many vacant appearing buildings on Newark Ave? The upper floors of 139 Newark Ave - to the left of the vacant lot - have been vacant for years despite looking relatively new.

Posted on: 2014/10/15 12:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

third_street_hats wrote:
Oof. Last I peeked in it looked like Hard Grove had lighting fixtures in and sheetrock up. Bummer not to have one less vacant storefront on Newark in the near future. Here's hoping this doesn't get much worse.

Well it won't be vacant once the building is razed.

Posted on: 2014/10/15 10:20
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 23:09
Group:
Registered Users
What a shame, especially since Evelyn and Carmen pretty much squatted in the original Hard Grove space for months. Karma sucks ass man. I feel bad for the workers there. Treat them better and bad shit won't happen. Boooooo I was looking forward to some mediocre food and kick ass drinks.

Posted on: 2014/10/15 6:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/1 0:23
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Stringer wrote:
Newark Avenue building appears to be stabilized after fears of collapse in Downtown Jersey City

By Yueh Ho | The Jersey Journal
October 14, 2014 at 11:25 PM

The masonry building that was in danger of collapse in Downtown Jersey City appears to be stabilized, as the tape separating pedestrians from the portion of Newark Avenue between Grove and Barrows streets has been removed.

According to an official at the scene, evacuated residents are now being allowed back into their homes.

City officials were notified of a potential problem with the Newark Avenue building that is the future home of the Hard Grove Cafe shortly after 3:30 this afternoon, city spokeswoman Jennifer Morrill said this evening.

The building was deemed safe and it and seven other buildings on the block were evacuated, she said. The street was closed to both traffic and pedestrians.

Later, a stream of dump trucks brought dirt to the vacant lot next door, where construction had been going on earlier.

The closure of part of Newark Avenue took a toll on local businesses, however, as the street was closed off during peak business hours.

"The street is closed (since) almost 3 o' clock," said Babu Haque of Mo's Deli, located near Barrow Street. "The street is closed and nobody can come and this is the business at peak hour. So you know, the store is empty right now."

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... ars_to_be_stabilized.html

Isn't this the deli that constantly has sketchy people hanging out in front as well as folks coming and going at all hours for "buttered rolls"? would love to hear what kind of business he lost the few hours the street was closed.

Posted on: 2014/10/15 5:24

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/18 2:12
From Beautiful Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/10/15 5:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Here is some coverage of the original fire that took out the buildings:

http://newyorkssixth.com/newyorkssixt ... 1/newark-avenue-fire.html

http://www.newyorkssixth.com/?p=592

Posted on: 2014/10/15 4:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
A few hours of lost business vs. Months of lost business or homelessness if they don't fix the foundation? If I were a business owner or a resident I would take the former in a heartbeat.

Posted on: 2014/10/15 3:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Newark Avenue building appears to be stabilized after fears of collapse in Downtown Jersey City

By Yueh Ho | The Jersey Journal
October 14, 2014 at 11:25 PM

The masonry building that was in danger of collapse in Downtown Jersey City appears to be stabilized, as the tape separating pedestrians from the portion of Newark Avenue between Grove and Barrows streets has been removed.

According to an official at the scene, evacuated residents are now being allowed back into their homes.

City officials were notified of a potential problem with the Newark Avenue building that is the future home of the Hard Grove Cafe shortly after 3:30 this afternoon, city spokeswoman Jennifer Morrill said this evening.

The building was deemed safe and it and seven other buildings on the block were evacuated, she said. The street was closed to both traffic and pedestrians.

Later, a stream of dump trucks brought dirt to the vacant lot next door, where construction had been going on earlier.

The closure of part of Newark Avenue took a toll on local businesses, however, as the street was closed off during peak business hours.

"The street is closed (since) almost 3 o' clock," said Babu Haque of Mo's Deli, located near Barrow Street. "The street is closed and nobody can come and this is the business at peak hour. So you know, the store is empty right now."

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... ars_to_be_stabilized.html

Posted on: 2014/10/15 3:41

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/18 2:12
From Beautiful Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/10/15 3:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Yes. Either planning or then councilman Fulop (or both) proposed that the lot be taken and used as a pedestrian plaza. The owner objected and insisted they would build a beautiful addition to the streetscape.

Oops.

Posted on: 2014/10/15 2:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
Wasn't the empty lot the site of a building that burned mysteriously and was immediately razed overnight?

Posted on: 2014/10/15 1:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

neverleft wrote:
Dump trucks pouring dirt onto vacant lot next to Downtown Jersey City building deemed in danger of collapse

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... er_of_c.html#incart_river

This article says that residents who live in all 8 buildings are not permitted to return home. Guess they can join the lawsuit, along with the nearby businesses who cannot receive customers as a result of the street closure.

What a crappy situation.

Posted on: 2014/10/15 0:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Dump trucks pouring dirt onto vacant lot next to Downtown Jersey City building deemed in danger of collapse

By Michaelangelo Conte | The Jersey Journal The Jersey Journal
on October 14, 2014 at 8:15 PM, updated October 14, 2014 at 8:34 PM

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... er_of_c.html#incart_river

Posted on: 2014/10/15 0:29

Edited by neverleft on 2014/10/15 0:50:33

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/21 0:12
Group: