Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
96 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 96

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »

Re: New York waste transfer deal to bring $10 million to Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I do not have an abatement and would not accept one if offered, no Joshua, you make rash statements. I have subsidized you since you live in a tax abated building."

1. We lived in, and still own, taxed property, a row house in the VVP district.

2. We now live in a building that pays a PILOT.

3. The PILOT payment for the 2 bedroom apartment is larger than the taxes on the row house.

4. Both were significantly higher than the absurdly low taxes you paid for 30+ years by gaming the appeals process.

5. And we need not get into the pension your household draws from the city.

Quote:

However, it is your tone that bothers me, you are implying Ward A residents are second class residents. I do not share your feelings, besides, I went to the site today. It is about 2 blocks from the Port Liberte commercial strip. No resident in this city should have to smell NYC garbage. And all parts of the city should have equal funding for recreation. Joshua, you live in the wrong century, slavery is over and citizens should share in the bounty equality.

I've been to the Greenville Yards. The only thing it shares with Greenville is the name. It is in a completely isolated industrial area nowhere near a "commercial strip." If you were actually there, you'd know that.

You've previously whined that Downtown gets all the resources. That's not happening here. The biggest recipient of city spending on parks has been the southern half of the city, with a jaw dropping $33 million close to Ward A. Just as even though in Ward C, is considered a "Heights" park. So how about taking a third of that money and refurbishing the Reservoir.

I don't consider Ward A to be second class citizens. Nor do I give them a veto over a matter which does not have anything close to the impact you says it has.

Posted on: 2014/10/16 1:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
maybe one should organize a tour to the south bronx to see if there is noticeable odor leakage from the sealed containers.

Posted on: 2014/10/16 1:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Brewster, I have all my tax bills and I have paid more than one quarter of a million in taxes, the exact figure is none of your business. In term of services, my children did not use the public schools neither did I use public safety. Snow removal was spotty, usually it melted before the plows came. The only service I used - garbage and recycling. Brewster, at least use your real name, Joshua, at least is direct.

Posted on: 2014/10/16 1:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:

PS: Yes Yvonne, when people in other wards paid effective tax rates 3x or more than you did (and many still do), they were subsidizing you, no matter how you justify it that you only did the legal thing of appealing your taxes.

That's a bit of a cheap shot .... taxes should be 'means tested' otherwise no-one under a certain income would ever be able to afford a home.

Posted on: 2014/10/16 1:33
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

stillinjc wrote:
Here is something more recent (2010) from New York Times about garbage trains:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/08/nyregion/08metjournal.html?_r=0

...and 2013...

http://www.timesnewsweekly.com/news/2 ... ont_Add_Stink_Trains.html

I think there is little doubt that these are "stink trains", despite the bullshit about trash being "sealed".

See, people do write about environmental issues. But as MDM pointed out the 2nd does not specify sealed containers, in fact the watchdog spokesperson said the ANSWER to their problem was ?Containerization; containerization; containerization,?.

The 1st article does raise serious questions. If they plan to use containers that are comparable to the ones reported to have failed in the article, the port needs to have a credible explanation of what went wrong and what they will do differently.

PS: Yes Yvonne, when people in other wards paid effective tax rates 3x or more than you did (and many still do), they were subsidizing you, no matter how you justify it that you only did the legal thing of appealing your taxes. I'll bet you can't find an abated condo paying a PILOT less than the 1% of your sale price that you were paying.

Posted on: 2014/10/16 1:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I do not have an abatement and would not accept one if offered, no Joshua, you make rash statements. I have subsidized you since you live in a tax abated building. However, it is your tone that bothers me, you are implying Ward A residents are second class residents. I do not share your feelings, besides, I went to the site today. It is about 2 blocks from the Port Liberte commercial strip. No resident in this city should have to smell NYC garbage. And all parts of the city should have equal funding for recreation. Joshua, you live in the wrong century, slavery is over and citizens should share in the bounty equality.

Posted on: 2014/10/16 0:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Actually, just about everyone else downtown and in the rest of the city subsidized you for 30+ years.

Posted on: 2014/10/16 0:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Why should Ward A residents be required to subsidize the Reservoir? Where is that in the city charter, Joshua? Isn't it enough the one and two family homes in Ward A are subsidizing affordable and luxury condos in terms of the board of ed tax payments?

Posted on: 2014/10/15 23:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
If it doesn't go through, the City should divert all Ward A park maintenance to build the Reservoir.

Posted on: 2014/10/15 22:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
I'd think the residents of Port Liberte would be heading up the Hudson River Waterfront Walkway with torches and pitchforks towards City Hall over this.

Posted on: 2014/10/15 22:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
The Port Authority will force the due diligence the project requires that Fulop tried to railroad through. http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... ty_says.html#incart_river

Do you realize this is the second time Fulop tried to railroad a proposal through that could have been bad for the residents, only to be stopped by a higher power?

He first tried forcing through a change of the city's ambulance provider to McCabe. Over the objection of residents. McCabe is out of network for all insurances, and is owned/affiliated with the very expensive CarePoint hospitals. Oh yeah, and those folks donated to his mayor campaign and might for governor.

The only reason that got derailed is the NJ attorney board reviewed McCabe's accepted proposal because it might be illegal. After months of review, the city had to restart the whole process.

Now it looks like he tried forcing this deal through, again over the objections of residents, only to get held up by the freakin Port Authority of all people.

Starting to see a pattern?

Posted on: 2014/10/15 22:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
The Port Authority will force the due diligence the project requires that Fulop tried to railroad through. http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... ty_says.html#incart_river

So Fulop is pushing this garbage deal, he is putting the cart before the horse.

Posted on: 2014/10/15 21:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/10/15 21:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/27 23:03
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

...and 2013...

I think there is little doubt that these are "stink trains", despite the bullshit about trash being "sealed".

First line of the article [emphasis mine]:

Residents of Glendale and Middle Village can breathe a little easier as the number of ?stink trains??open container cars filled with garbage?rolling through their neighborhood won?t increase just yet, it was announced Sunday, Oct. 13.

What do you have to say about the other articles which deal with sealed containers?

MDM likes to put emphasis on selections that fit his argument. I do not understand how you can deny that these trains stink after reading all these articles...

Posted on: 2014/10/15 21:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

...and 2013...

Residents of Glendale and Middle Village can breathe a little easier as the number of ?stink trains??open container cars filled with garbage?rolling through their neighborhood won?t increase just yet, it was announced Sunday, Oct. 13.

What do you have to say about the other articles which deal with sealed containers?

Posted on: 2014/10/15 21:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
4/15 15:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

...and 2013...

Posted on: 2014/10/15 20:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
I hope someone keeps an eye out to see whether this waste management firm contributes to Fulop's governor campaign.

Right.

I though fat-ass-bike had a good point a few posts down - Fulop has his nose so deep in Di Blasio's ass that he does not care about the stench of garbage.

Posted on: 2014/10/15 20:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stillinjc wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
The essential comment is 'mitigating odors'.

IESI spokeswoman Chaya Cooperberg said the firm takes "pride in being a good neighbor and operator, which includes mitigating odors."

Corporate BS.

I reserve the right not to believe a word she is saying.

Unless she agrees (for example) to a $1 million/day fine if odors are detected within 200 feet from the train.

That would mean something.

Everything else is just talk.

My point was that there will be some odors, which some here are trying to say won't happen.

Posted on: 2014/10/15 20:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
I hope someone keeps an eye out to see whether this waste management firm contributes to Fulop's governor campaign.

Posted on: 2014/10/15 20:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

IESI spokeswoman Chaya Cooperberg said the firm takes "pride in being a good neighbor and operator, which includes mitigating odors."

Corporate BS.

I reserve the right not to believe a word she is saying.

Unless she agrees (for example) to a $1 million/day fine if odors are detected within 200 feet from the train.

That would mean something.

Everything else is just talk.

Posted on: 2014/10/15 20:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/10/15 20:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
Here is something more recent (2010) from New York Times about garbage trains:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/08/nyregion/08metjournal.html?_r=0

...and 2013...

Posted on: 2014/10/15 20:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

Interesting quote from 2005 which supports what FAB posted. Looks like other communities were expecting $1-1.25 per ton. JC is getting $10m up front and 25 cents a ton - probably worth less than 35 cents/ton. Hmmmm.

But officials in the Portsmouth area are considering a proposal by a company called American Ref-Fuel to build a port that could receive up to 2,500 tons of waste a day from New York. A fee of between $1 and $1.25 would be paid for every ton brought in, generating $1 million per year, plus as much as $7 million more if enough of the garbage went to an existing incinerator.
?The way we figure it, waste is coming here anyway,? said John Hadfield, executive director of the Southeastern Public Service Authority. ?Maybe we can make a silk purse out of this sow?s ear.?

Fulop is selling us awfully cheap.

Posted on: 2014/10/15 19:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Interesting quote from 2005 which supports what FAB posted. Looks like other communities were expecting $1-1.25 per ton. JC is getting $10m up front and 25 cents a ton - probably worth less than 35 cents/ton. Hmmmm.

But officials in the Portsmouth area are considering a proposal by a company called American Ref-Fuel to build a port that could receive up to 2,500 tons of waste a day from New York. A fee of between $1 and $1.25 would be paid for every ton brought in, generating $1 million per year, plus as much as $7 million more if enough of the garbage went to an existing incinerator.
?The way we figure it, waste is coming here anyway,? said John Hadfield, executive director of the Southeastern Public Service Authority. ?Maybe we can make a silk purse out of this sow?s ear.?

Posted on: 2014/10/15 19:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal

Residents of Jersey City's Greenville section say they feel betrayed and left in the dark over Mayor Steve Fulop's proposal to accept $10 million from a waste company in exchange for halting the city's opposition to a garbage transfer station in Greenville Yards.

Resized Image

The plan, announced publicly last week and given initial OK by the City Council two days later, has residents in the city's southern end fearful of train cars filled with trash stinking up their neighborhood. The revenue boost for the city, a $10 million initial payment and $250,000 in annual fees, doesn't make them feel better, they told The Jersey Journal.

"We give you $10 million and you're gonna live in stink," is how Ocean Avenue resident Kathy Quirk describes the deal.
Resized Image

Quirk, 60, a lifelong city resident, lives about 200 feet from the tracks railroad cars would use to take the containers of garbage from Greenville Yards through Jersey City and into Newark. City spokeswoman Jennifer Morrill said the containers will move through a "currently industrial" area of the city and "is not touching the ground of Jersey City."

Not so, Quirk said.

More

Posted on: 2014/10/15 17:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I went to the area today and saw a guy is his car with a clipboard. The car belongs to New York City Department of Sanitation. The ink is barely dry and NYC is already here.

So is this a done deal?

Posted on: 2014/10/15 16:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I went to the area today and saw a guy is his car with a clipboard. The car belongs to New York City Department of Sanitation. The ink is barely dry and NYC is already here.

Posted on: 2014/10/15 16:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sully wrote:
Quote:

Greenvillelifer wrote:
Please re read the first paragraph.

Um, yeah - check the dateline:

By David B. Caruso

updated 7/12/2005 9:25:43 AM ET

Thanks for bringing this timely, informative article to our attention.

Do you have any data that anything's changed since then? No? Then what's your point?

Posted on: 2014/10/15 12:10

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/12 22:31
From 07305
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, its old, that's what we have to go on. No one has answered our questions.

Posted on: 2014/10/15 11:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sully wrote:
Quote:

Greenvillelifer wrote:
Please re read the first paragraph.

Um, yeah - check the dateline:

By David B. Caruso

updated 7/12/2005 9:25:43 AM ET

Thanks for bringing this timely, informative article to our attention.

If it validates people's fears that these "sealed" containers will still stink horribly, who cares if the article's from 2005?

Posted on: 2014/10/15 5:24

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017