Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
54 user(s) are online (46 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 54

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 »

Re: Jersey City marketing campaign: ‘Make It Yours’
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
I see a lot of potential in this campaign...

"Council Meetings - Make them Yours" With a photo of one of our regulars speaking at the microphone while the remaining attendees fight off falling asleep.

"Redevelopment - Make it Yours" With a city official offering a "fill in the blank" form to a developer.

"Parking - Make it Yours" - Showing a row of our houses with carports and illegally cut curbs.

Posted on: 2014/10/8 0:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
NJ.COM comments...

B4OpenSpace 19 minutes ago
So we have an article where Secaucus is entrapping Johns to shut down the hookers in a dozen motels and in JC they are spending a $1,000,000 to promote rebranding for pimps and hookers.

Why not save the taxpayers of both towns money? JC should build a few motels and send buses to Secaucus to pick up the pimp and hookers and are no longer wanted there.

sevenxs 39 minutes ago
Just looking at that picture I need to take a hot shower and get clean.

Jersey City is not really a nice place folks, for those of you that don't know any better. It's kinda like taking a piece of poop and coating it with paint. In the end it's poop with paint on it.

speaknj 2 hours ago
Basically, Fulop is saying JC is party town. Bayonne will be known as a town that produces a saint, but JC will be know as a town that produces party folks. While they are here they can visit their garbage in the Greenville transfer station.

I'm not sure what the point of those comments are since they don't really make any sense. Well, except possibly the last one being written by Yvonne...

My point is JC has a lot of work to do, because the only folks that thinks JC is pretty cool are Some (not all) people who live here. Most people outside of JC think its a crap hole with a nice water front including most people I socialize with on a daily basis. I wish the campaign lots of luck.

I do not live in your part of JC. In fact, until the residents in your part of JC stop committing violent crimes, your part of JC minus well be in Asia. In fact, the friends who I have who do come to JC, do not venture outside of the downtown area except maybe for a trip to the newport section.

So no, your part of JC has a lot of work to do. DTJC is doing just fine except for the prevalence of 99 cent stores.

This campaign should concentrate on getting more people to areas where development is occurring, which also happen to be in downtown, and also journal square to some degree.

If more people go to GV in its current state, more people will leave JC.

Posted on: 2014/10/7 18:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Let me explain my comment is simple language, after the tourist finished their brews and meal, they can also visit the site where their NYC garbage will reside at a transfer station. Consider it a museum trip.

Why? Do you ask that everyone visiting NYC head up to certain parts of Harlem?

Quote:

user1111 wrote:
My point is JC has a lot of work to do, because the only folks that thinks JC is pretty cool are Some (not all) people who live here. Most people outside of JC think its a crap hole with a nice water front including most people I socialize with on a daily basis. I wish the campaign lots of luck.

Considering that the third of those three comments is meaningless since it really does come from Yvonne, the other two really are the opinions of people that I wouldn?t want here anyway.

As a small bit of research, what I see is that the first commenter on that article makes several comments about news in Sayerville and several comments praising our worthless governor. Considering that Sayerville is exceptionally boring (if they had half the options that JC has, they?d think they are in the greatest city ever) and the person is exceptionally conservative (?As a conservative R, I am skeptical of Christie's true beliefs.?), it surprises me little that the person making the comment would make comments like that about an urban area.

The second commenter makes comments such as ?I have noticed most of it is white flight? in reference to a story about people moving into urban areas, advocated carrying handguns for everyone, and pushes a form of ?speak English or get out? attitude.

You are correct that there are people who think JC is a craphole. As recourse, should the city do nothing? I have to think you live here for some reason. It can?t be purely about taxes and largess of a home or you?d spend very little time in it.

I know this guy that worked in Jersey City for 40 years. Considering his office location and those he interacted with, he thought the place was a dump, except for some expensive towers on the waterfront. I took him out to a few places downtown, nice restaurants, bars, etc. He had no idea the options even existed. He didn?t realize the ?nice? area was pretty much everywhere east of 78. Now, he sets up trips to Zeppelin Hall fairly regularly.

You may bemoan and complain about what you perceive as blandness, but there are options that appeal to vast amount of people. It is seemingly a great many considering the amount of people trying to move into that exact space.

The blindness of JC?s transformation isn?t entirely due to news reports about crimes. It is in part due to a lack of actual knowledge for what is occurring inside this city and the transformation that it has undergone. I think showing people having fun is a great way to try and change that. I am hopeful that it will help.

Posted on: 2014/10/7 17:51
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
NJ.COM comments...

So we have an article where Secaucus is entrapping Johns to shut down the hookers in a dozen motels and in JC they are spending a $1,000,000 to promote rebranding for pimps and hookers.

Why not save the taxpayers of both towns money? JC should build a few motels and send buses to Secaucus to pick up the pimp and hookers and are no longer wanted there.

sevenxs 39 minutes ago

Jersey City is not really a nice place folks, for those of you that don't know any better. It's kinda like taking a piece of poop and coating it with paint. In the end it's poop with paint on it.

speaknj 2 hours ago
Basically, Fulop is saying JC is party town. Bayonne will be known as a town that produces a saint, but JC will be know as a town that produces party folks. While they are here they can visit their garbage in the Greenville transfer station.

I'm not sure what the point of those comments are since they don't really make any sense. Well, except possibly the last one being written by Yvonne...

Posted on: 2014/10/7 17:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Let me explain my comment is simple language, after the tourist finished their brews and meal, they can also visit the site where their NYC garbage will reside at a transfer station. Consider it a museum trip.

Posted on: 2014/10/7 17:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
NJ.COM comments...

sevenxs 39 minutes ago

speaknj 2 hours ago

Posted on: 2014/10/7 17:21
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
NJ.COM comments...

sevenxs 39 minutes ago

speaknj 2 hours ago

Posted on: 2014/10/7 17:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
The photos look great (and I recognized a few people I see around town). I get that it's appealing to a certain demographic...which I'm not a member of. That's fine, though, and if they decide to include some middle-aged guys in topsiders and baseball hats, they can count me in.

Posted on: 2014/10/7 16:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
So we are rebranding the city by taking in NYC's garbage. I am sure there is a slogan in there somewhere.

How do you figure that the city is taking in "NYC's garbage"?

And though you may think those people are garbage, I think some could argue the great irony you've put forward, considering that many would rather that "garbage" over some of the garbage here.

She's referring to this other effort here.

But yes - slick millenials taking out trash is funny.

I did ultimately end up seeing the comments on that. I found it also absurd.

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I am referring to NYC's garbage in Greenville Yards, perhaps we can do a tour after they left the restaurants.

What does one have to do with the other?

Posted on: 2014/10/7 16:04
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I am referring to NYC's garbage in Greenville Yards, perhaps we can do a tour after they left the restaurants.

Posted on: 2014/10/7 15:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
So we are rebranding the city by taking in NYC's garbage. I am sure there is a slogan in there somewhere.

And though you may think those people are garbage, I think some could argue the great irony you've put forward, considering that many would rather that "garbage" over some of the garbage here.

She's referring to this other effort here.

But yes - slick millenials taking out trash is funny.

Posted on: 2014/10/7 14:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Posted on: 2014/10/7 14:47
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Goodness, woman... give it a rest! You keep carping about high taxes, yet complain that the city has found another way to bring in more money. You don't want improved parks *free of charge to taxpayers*?? You don't want additional jobs, which generate more revenue for the city? You don't want garbage trucks OFF our streets??

Posted on: 2014/10/7 14:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/10/7 14:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

I was more put off by the oft-used "bedroom community" description. I don't think that DTJC, or most other neighborhoods for that matter, are bedroom communities. For many (most?) of those that choose to live here, JC has become a place not just to lay down our heads, but a place to enjoy, eat, drink, relax. To call JC a bedroom community is very inaccurate...

I very much agree -- they would never say that about Brooklyn -- the New York Times is driven by ad revenue from Manhattan & Brooklyn -- but maybe with JC Developers now spending more -- they will have some pull. The NYTimes really needs to get rid of their Jersey writers and get some new blood..

Posted on: 2014/10/7 13:50

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/3 21:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcman420 wrote:
Is the New York Times capable of writing anything about Jersey City without stating in the first sentence what a dump the rest of the world considers it?

True or not-- it's hackneyed, cliched writing at this point.

Absolutely agree.
They neglect to mention that they're quoting another of their biased, backhanded articles when referring to us as "an unfashionable town named after an unfashionable state?. You'd think they were quoting Dorothy Parker or something. I'm dead tired of the Times coverage of JC. I wish they'd stop mentioning us altogether.

Posted on: 2014/10/7 13:39

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/8 21:09
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

With any destination marketing campaign, you may attract one group but alienate another. In this case, the marketing campaign for Jersey City is really designed to be shown to audiences outside of JC. It's to get the spillover from Brooklyn, Manhattan and other parts of Jersey to live and work here. So the language is going to sound a bit off and at times disingenous. Of course, residents are going to look at these and compare to whether the projected image truly reflects their own view of the city. For some it may, for others it will not. Factor in neighborhoods, ethnicities, economics, ages, etc. to this equation and you can see how difficult it is to come up with one unifying brand. You may ask, well, do we really need to market Jersey City?

In my opinion, we have the benefit of not having to try to hard sell the city — people are moving in here already but Jersey City and New Jersey both have a negative reputation and that's something we do need to counter. Whether that's done in a direct way, tongue-in-cheek, or bypassed entirely by focusing on what Jersey City has become as to what is was. This is why the new ads focus on the new — it's an opportunity to distinguish ourselves from a reputation of corruption and violence.

Will everyone be happy with this approach? Of course not, but the city has never marketed itself before and we may need to try a few approaches to see what resonates with both, internal and external audiences. If you ever read about successful campaigns like, What Happens in Vegas or I Love NY, you'll realize that it took years of misses before these finally took off, not to mention the millions of dollars of media time to pound these little slogans into people's skulls.

Someone mentioned here that they were happy that the city didn't spend a lot of taxpayer money on the slogan. The slogan is the cheapest part of the deal, the most expensive is the media you have to buy to drive the message and pulse it out regularly so that it registers. This is where most marketing efforts fail because they simply run out of money.

In 2006, the Brooklyn went through a borough slogan contest. They had gotten thousands of submissions and despite having a landmark they can call their own (Brooklyn Bridge) it was decides that no one slogan can encapsulate Brooklyn. Instead of one, they used the top favorites and created signs at strategic arteries into the borough. Some were tongue in cheek like "Welcome to Brooklyn: Believe the hype" or "Leaving Brooklyn: Fuhgeddaboudit." It was fun and helped to uphold the feisty image of Brooklyn.

Can we do this with Jersey City? Maybe. But I think it has to be a grass-roots effort as much as it is a top-down one. But we need a place to start and this might be it.

Posted on: 2014/10/7 13:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
Quote:

jcman420 wrote:
Is the New York Times capable of writing anything about Jersey City without stating in the first sentence what a dump the rest of the world considers it?

I think it is more insidious than that. In a major article about where Asians are investing in US real estate, 3 of the 4 pictures (= 3000 words) were of Jersey City.

I was more put off by the oft-used "bedroom community" description. I don't think that DTJC, or most other neighborhoods for that matter, are bedroom communities. For many (most?) of those that choose to live here, JC has become a place not just to lay down our heads, but a place to enjoy, eat, drink, relax. To call JC a bedroom community is very inaccurate. Yes, I am sure that many people move here and only sleep here, but many others make JC a true home. We have great restaurants and a fairly decent selection of bars. When I go out for dinner or a drink, I often eschew the city and choose to stay local. We do lack entertainment options: museums, lounges, more art galleries, etc.

Posted on: 2014/10/7 12:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jcman420 wrote:

I think it is more insidious than that. In a major article about where Asians are investing in US real estate, 3 of the 4 pictures (= 3000 words) were of Jersey City.

Posted on: 2014/10/7 11:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
So the mayor is focusing on one part of the city...

Are you blind? Or just Yvonning extra heavy today?

Look at the photographs that accompany the campaign. You've got Mana Contemporary, MOD Cup, Riverview Fisk, and Orange and Olive Catering (3 out of 4 in the Heights). That's not focusing on any one part of the city.

Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
I find this incredibly ageist and short-sighted. Focusing only on Millennials is not representative of enough of JC by a long stretch.

So, you'd propose the Mayor focus on the 55+ community? The Russian immigrant community? The Gay Eskimos? This is a marketing campaign focused at an age group that has -- after a bajillion studies -- decided to shun the suburbs and are more inclined to adopt city living. What city will they choose? Here's an advertising campaign from Jersey City that might persuade them here. Got it?

Posted on: 2014/10/7 11:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/16 19:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

I'm happy we didn't spend too many tax dollars on this marketing campaign. Looks like JC saved a lot of money by just taking a common idea.

JC's going to take it meta and make "make it yours" Jersey City's.

Posted on: 2014/10/7 10:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

I'm happy we didn't spend too many tax dollars on this marketing campaign. Looks like JC saved a lot of money by just taking a common idea.

Posted on: 2014/10/7 4:26

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

These last two frames below were part of a commercial animatic. 

Make it Yours

Posted on: 2014/10/7 4:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/10/7 3:56

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/20 18:54
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Binky wrote:
Guess we've heard from the administration now.
Ironic tagline, no?
The city made it theirs.
Business friendly?

Are you implying I work in the administration? If yes then you're funny.

Posted on: 2014/10/7 3:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users

Make it yours? Stop the drop? Seriously? GTFOJC.

Posted on: 2014/10/7 3:25

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
We submitted a proposal for the JC branding and slogan project and not the logo contest. Our submission deadline for our proposal was March 7th meaning that we would not have seen these logos until the JJ story came out, I guess March 10th.

I looked at the submission deadline of the logo contest and it was February 21st.

I guess it's just a bizarre coincidence that we developed the same slogan at the same time independently. Thanks for letting me know. I honestly thought we were being shafted by the city.

Posted on: 2014/10/7 2:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
Guess we've heard from the administration now.
Ironic tagline, no?
The city made it theirs.
Business friendly?

Posted on: 2014/10/7 2:50

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/20 18:54
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
If Peter_Fushion's proposal was submitted as part of the city's logo contest, then he gave the city carte blanche to use the logo without any royalties. (http://www.jerseycitynj.gov/uploadedF ... %20Contest%20Complete.pdf)

If his proposal was not part of the logo contest, then the logo contest submission that used the phrase "Make It Yours" is proof that someone else also had that same idea and submitted it to the city under a very clear set of guidelines giving the city the right to use the phrase. Perhaps Peter_Fushion independently came up with the same idea, but this does not seem like a situation where the city is improperly using someone else's idea. They had the right to use the phrase as it was part of someone else's submission.

If the facts were different, I would take Perter_Fushion's side here, but that doesnt seem to be the case.

I think we should all withhold judgement on the campaign itself until we see it in its entirety. If you look at the link GrovePath posted above, the series seems to feature The Heights and Mana Contemporary in addition to DTJC. I know some feel that all of the city should be featured equally, but remember the purpose of the campaign is to encourage people to move to JC and business to relocate to JC. Now is not the proper time to be advertising to people in NYC / Brooklyn / Bergen County about BL, GV, or Journal Square...those campaigns can come down the road as our city continues to establish itself.

Posted on: 2014/10/7 2:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

This is the original "Jersey City Make it Yours" logo that was a finalist in the city's rebrand contest. It clearly does have the tagline the city lifted for their latest rebranding campaign. If true, not giving the original agency the credit for that tagline is completely unethical and a slap in the face to the creator/their agency. It's just not the way good advertising business is done.

Logo Source

Posted on: 2014/10/7 2:23

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017