Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
127 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 127

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: possible to get prepaid bus tickets on jitneys?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/1 14:06
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks - wound up buying the prepaid tickets for the jitney at window 23 at Port Authority. The tickets were 2.50 each and expired after a month I think. I bought a week's worth at a time ($25), which saved me $5 per week. The window is cash only so I'm going to have to get creative to utilize my commuting benefit at work using pretax dollars.

If anyone else is interested, I believe the window to buy the prepaid fares is only open from 2pm to 830pm

The jitney is crwded but near JFK Blvd it absolutely beats NJ Transit for getting to NYC. You don't need a schedule since the buses seem to run every 2 mins in the mornings

Posted on: 2014/10/24 1:06

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/22 15:52
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
Quote:

CantUseMy wrote:
They sell the discounted tickets at Port Authority at the window. Right when you go up the stairs from Gate 51, to your left, the very last window. It has limited hours.

Tickets are $2.50, non-refundable and are good for two weeks. They can be used on the Gate 51 buses only.

That is $2.50 per trip, about the same as NJT. Unlike NJT monthly passes, which can be used on any NJT bus, you are limited to only the Gate 51 busses. They do not issue transfers should you need to make a connection nor do they offer senior discounts. The buses are dirty & many fail on the spot inspections for little things like brakes, insurance, improperly licensed drivers. But to each his own.

You are lumping a legitimate licensed transportation company that operates out of Port Authority in with people who buy a van and drive around picking up fares.

The Gate 51 buses are all Community Lines buses and are all properly insured, inspected, etc. Port Authority would not allow them to operate from the building otherwise.

Posted on: 2014/10/22 15:49

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/15 22:29
Group:
Registered Users
This is mostly accurate. I have been taking the jitneys from Palisades near Christ Hospital into NYC for more than 10 years now.

Yes, ask people standing at the stop for advice.

Yes, check the signage on the jitneys before you get on. Don't get on the one that goes to GWB/125th St unless that's where you want to go. Look for "New York."

The NYC jitney drivers prefer for you to pay while in NYC. Arriving in NYC, pay when you get off, and going home to JC, pay when you get on. Please don't ask them to make change while they are driving. The driver and the other riders will appreciate it.

When asking for a stop, please do not scream the intersection. Most of us say, "Next stop, please." Alternately, "La Proxima." And "Thank you" or "Gracias" is also appreciated. Soon, you will get to know the five drivers and they will recognize you. They will even wait for you if they are about to leave but see you hurrying down the street!

NYC jitneys only run during rush hour on weekdays. Otherwise, catch the NJT 123. And that's a whole 'nother post.

Welcome to the Heights!

Posted on: 2014/10/21 21:31

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/13 20:45
From Riverview Fisk
Group:
Registered Users
Sweets, I sent you a PM with a link to the schedule. I posted it in my blog which is under my real name-I didn't want to post it here on account of being lazy. Here is the schedule though:

Stand on the side of Palisade going towards Lincoln Tunnel at any bus stop or corner.

Not all jitneys go to New York, most are going to Bergenline or Newport. New York jitneys are marked NY on the front of the bus.

The Palisade NYC jitneys just shadow the 123 bus in terms of schedule. They tend to beat the 123 by about 4 to 5 minutes.

Your chances of getting a seat on a jitney are much lower if you get on AFTER Riverview Park-they will open the door and tell you to wait for the next one unless you tell them you're getting off in Hoboken right before Lincoln Tunnel.

Schedule for morning jitneys. You have to gauge the time based on the arrival of the 123 bus at your closest stop, or the stop yo you want to be picked up at. You can get the real-time arrival schedule by walking to the bus stop and texting the stop number 123. The earliest jitney we've seen in the morning on Palisade is at 6:15 right before Riverview Park-so in front of Modcup by about 6:16 to 6:17. There are also jitneys in front of Modcup at 6:45 am, 7:00 am, 7:30 am and 8:15ish. I think the last one is around 8:50 but I've never gotten on it.

Jitney pickup in NYC for Palisade Ave is very close to the PABT almost directly in front of the Hilton Times Square at 41st and 8th. The jitney doesn?t leave till it fills up completely-just stop and confirm with the guy that it's the jitney that is going to JC Heights through Palisade Ave. If I remember correctly, the return schedule is something like 5 pm, 5:20 to 5:30, 5:45ish and 6 to 6:10. My husband claims that if you get there past that last 6 ish something jitney that you have to switch to the 123.

The fare for the Jitney is $3 into NYC and $2.50 on the way back. On the way home, when you want to get off scream the Palisade intersection from your seat on the bus ("Stop at Hutton please!")

I hope this helps and welcome to the Heights.

(For your exact timings go to your closest 123 stop before your first commute and ask people standing at the stop. This is how we figured it out)

Posted on: 2014/10/21 20:07

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/29 22:56
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Thanks for posting the map. I find that not all drivers stop at the JSQ terminal which is fine but where do I catch it to go downtown?

Posted on: 2014/10/21 17:53

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/8 14:46
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks. Based on this map, there are no jitneys that go through the Heights by Riverpark into NYC. Just to Newport mall. Am I reading that correct? Bummer....

Posted on: 2014/10/21 17:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/11 10:27
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/10/21 17:35

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/8 14:46
Group:
Registered Users
Not sure if this has been addressed elsewhere but I figured I would ask...

I will be moving from DT to the Heights by Riverview Park. I work in the city and am trying to figure out the commute. I know that I can jump on the NJ Transit bus to get to the Hoboken or JSQ path station. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to find info on the jitney buses that go to Port Authority. Can anyone help me to find info on where and when the buses pick up from? I know that there are set hours that they run - info on that would be helpful as well!

Thanks!

Posted on: 2014/10/21 16:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
That is $2.50 per trip, about the same as NJT.

... and by "about the same as NJT" you actually mean half the price of NJT.

Tell us how you really think about the jitneys, though.

Posted on: 2014/10/21 0:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CantUseMy wrote:
They sell the discounted tickets at Port Authority at the window. Right when you go up the stairs from Gate 51, to your left, the very last window. It has limited hours.

Tickets are $2.50, non-refundable and are good for two weeks. They can be used on the Gate 51 buses only.

That is $2.50 per trip, about the same as NJT. Unlike NJT monthly passes, which can be used on any NJT bus, you are limited to only the Gate 51 busses. They do not issue transfers should you need to make a connection nor do they offer senior discounts. The buses are dirty & many fail on the spot inspections for little things like brakes, insurance, improperly licensed drivers. But to each his own.

Posted on: 2014/10/20 23:00

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/22 15:52
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/10/20 18:30

possible to get prepaid bus tickets on jitneys?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/1 14:06
Group:
Registered Users
The past couple of days, I've seen people pay with tickets / vouchers on the jitney from JC to Port Authority in NYC. How / where can I buy these vouchers? I'd like to buy them using pretax money if at all possible, and I'd prefer the jitneys to the NJ transit buses due to the greater number of jitneys running by me. Thanks

Posted on: 2014/10/1 23:29

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017