Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
101 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 101

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 13 »

Re: CDC confirms first Ebola case diagnosed in US
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

Save your fauxrage for when it's relevant.

How do you feel about the possibility that the implied meaning of that made-up word more accurately describes the way you express yourself in this forum, not me? It can?t be, right?

Posted on: 2014/10/29 20:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
And of course I have empathy for those in Africa who are suffering from this disease. No one deserves to suffer from it. However, I have less sympathy for them because their actions are spreading the disease and unwittingly killing each other. As has already been posted, many of them don't believe in this disease, think the westerners are killing them, and have actually attacked the doctors trying to help them, making their situation worse by preventing aid. Others have raided an Ebola clinic, looting the infected contents and freeing the patients. Again, undoubtedly making the spread worse.

Also they insist on using some kind of burial practice that involves extensive handling of the infected corpses, again making things worse for them.

You have less sympathy for victims who live very poor countries with virtually non-existent health care systems, limited opportunities for education, and perpetually dysfunctional governments?! My question may have been dumb, but your unbecoming prejudice answers the one I was really asking.

Save your fauxrage for when it's relevant.

Your level of claimed sympathy for those abroad has literally nothing to do with setting up quarantines for those here. Again, the obvious is we can only control our actions, not those of others, especially those who refuse our help. (Forgetting about the fact that other African nations have already imposed a travel ban on the Ebola stricken countries.)

And again, I'm happy that the people in power agree with me and not the selfish nurse. To the extent you are trying to make a cogent point, if you are against the quarantine I'm happy they disagree with you too.

The Governors in all states are doing their job, in a rare display of bipartisanship. Too bad we can't rely on the nurse to do the right thing, but at least we are seeing a brilliant example of how self quarantines don't work.

Posted on: 2014/10/29 19:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
And of course I have empathy for those in Africa who are suffering from this disease. No one deserves to suffer from it. However, I have less sympathy for them because their actions are spreading the disease and unwittingly killing each other. As has already been posted, many of them don't believe in this disease, think the westerners are killing them, and have actually attacked the doctors trying to help them, making their situation worse by preventing aid. Others have raided an Ebola clinic, looting the infected contents and freeing the patients. Again, undoubtedly making the spread worse.

Also they insist on using some kind of burial practice that involves extensive handling of the infected corpses, again making things worse for them.

You have less sympathy for victims who live very poor countries with virtually non-existent health care systems, limited opportunities for education, and perpetually dysfunctional governments?! My question may have been dumb, but your unbecoming prejudice answers the one I was really asking.

Posted on: 2014/10/29 19:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
...selfish... no regard for others.

Speaking of which...

Since you?re so worried about minimizing the risks from Ebola, I wonder what concerns you more?that other people, their families, and their friends may suffer, or that you or someone close to you may fall ill?

If it?s the first case, where?s your concern and empathy for the thousands of people who are currently infected, or who have family and friends who are suffering or may have already perished? That?s the overwhelming story of the current Ebola outbreak, but I?m not seeing any of that making its way into your writing, only minor details far removed from the tragedy. If it?s the second case and your concerns are only for yourself, why are sharing them with strangers in a public forum?

That is a stupid question because everyone has the same answer.

So while no one deserves to get this disease, we must take action to stop its spread, both here and abroad. Since we can only control our actions, that is what I'm posting about. Luckily the important people side with me and not the selfish nurse, hence the police blockade around her house.

Posted on: 2014/10/29 18:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
...selfish... no regard for others.

Speaking of which...

Since you?re so worried about minimizing the risks from Ebola, I wonder what concerns you more?that other people, their families, and their friends may suffer, or that you or someone close to you may fall ill?

If it?s the first case, where?s your concern and empathy for the thousands of people who are currently infected, or who have family and friends who are suffering or may have already perished? That?s the overwhelming story of the current Ebola outbreak, but I?m not seeing any of that making its way into your writing, only minor details far removed from the tragedy. If it?s the second case and your concerns are only for yourself, why are sharing them with strangers in a public forum?

Posted on: 2014/10/29 17:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/2 20:54
Group:
Banned
You have some deep rooted issues, son.

Posted on: 2014/10/29 16:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
The Maine State Police are surrounding the nurse's house, forcing her to obey the quarantine. What a selfish bitch, with no regard for others.

I get the feeling she went to Africa to pose for pictures so he friends could marvel at what a "good person" she was. Now the nation sees her true colors.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/na ... ola-nurse-maine/18105327/

Posted on: 2014/10/29 16:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Kaci Hickox remains defiant, vows to break new Ebola quarantine protocol in Maine, take issue to court - NY DAILY NEWS

Defiant nurse Kaci Hickox vowed to break a mandatory quarantine order that would keep her inside her Maine home for much of the next three weeks.

And despite her troubles stateside, Hickox pledged to return to West Africa to continue fighting the deadly Ebola virus on the frontlines.

Making the rounds on morning television shows, the 33-year-old, speaking from her home in Fort Kent, Maine, promised she is ?not going to sit around and be bullied by politicians and forced to stay in my home when I am not a risk to the American public.?

Maine officials have ordered her to hole up at home until 21 days have passed since she last contacted an Ebola victim where she was volunteering in Sierra Leone. And a state trooper stationed outside her home told NBC News that Hickox will be arrested if she walks outside.

?If the restrictions placed on me by the state of Maine are not lifted by Thursday morning, I will go to court to fight for my freedom,? she told Matt Lauer on the ?Today? show Wednesday.

Hickox was detained in New Jersey on Friday afternoon after she landed at Newark Liberty International Airport. A forehead temperature scanner registered a fever, sending the nurse into a mandatory 21-day quarantine period, guidelines of which were presented that same day by New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo.

Hickox called the rules a ?knee-jerk reaction? by politicians not founded in science, while Christie has maintained the rules are a fair trade-off to keep the people of his state free of the lethal virus.

Hickox spent her first days back stateside inside a quarantine tent outside a Newark hospital.

Hickox was released from quarantine in New Jersey on Monday then drove back to Maine after her test for Ebola came back negative and she showed no signs or symptoms of the disease for more than 24 hours.

Her mandatory quarantine in Maine would run through Nov. 10.

Hickox said more appropriate measures would include self-monitoring by taking her temperature twice a day and getting medical attention if she began to show symptoms of Ebola.

Hickox spent four weeks in Sierra Leone (not shown) battling Ebola as a volunteer with Doctors Without Borders.
?I remain appalled by these home quarantine policies that have been forced upon me even though I am in perfectly good health and am feeling strong,? she said on ?Today.? ?I have been this entire time, completely symptom-free. I am thankful to be out of the tent in Newark but I find myself in yet another prison in a different environment.?

She and her boyfriend, Theodore Wilbur, are back at their Fort Kent home, a town along the Canadian border.

Wilbur, a nursing student, has promised to stay off the University of Maine campus and will take courses online for 21 days as a precautionary measure, an associate dean at the Fort Kent campus said.

Despite it all, Hickox plans to return to Ebola-plagued West Africa, where more than 10,000 cases of the disease have been diagnosed, killing about 5,000, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

?I would go back,? said Hickox. ?This has been a bit of a nightmare for me but my work in Sierra Leone for four weeks was amazing and I feel privileged to have been able to help fight this battle. I do plan on going back in fact, it?s not just ?will I,? it?s more of a when.?

NY DAILY NEWS

Posted on: 2014/10/29 14:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/2 20:54
Group:
Banned
Lol, also their biggest fear is being rounded up in FEMA camps yet they are fine with this shit.

Posted on: 2014/10/29 13:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:

I find it funny that cowards like yourself are all about small government until the boogeyman walks out of the closet and then you go running to the government screaming ?Save me!!!?

If logic and reason were required of opinions, a great number of people wouldn't have any.

Posted on: 2014/10/29 13:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Oh look, the Wall Street Journal confirms exactly what I stated in this thread:

Why No Ebola Travel Ban? Politics
Leadership sometimes means doing something, anything.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/holman ... l-ban-politics-1414537504

They have confirmed nothing. They have, however, published a partisan opinion editorial. Opinions are not facts. Also it only took 7 paragraphs to mention Benghazi.

Posted on: 2014/10/29 13:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

A right wing blogger expounding the same opinion as you?!?! You doing say!

Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:

If quarantines make sense, sure. But why can't they self-quarantine at home?

Because people can't be trusted to keep them and have already violated them.

At some point naivety and idealism meet reality. That point is when such whimsical beliefs put others lives in danger.

I find it funny that cowards like yourself are all about small government until the boogeyman walks out of the closet and then you go running to the government screaming ?Save me!!!?

If there is one thing that this incident proves and it is the utter hypocrisy from those on the right?

Whatever happened to personal responsibility? Whatever happened to keeping the government out of our healthcare?

Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Another reason for stricter controls-the NYC doctor, who should know better, initially lied about his whereabouts upon his return until confronted by police over his Metrocard and credit card statements.
http://nypost.com/2014/10/29/ebola-do ... t-his-nyc-travels-police/

But let us all insist on flight bans because it certainly won?t encourage more people to lie?

Posted on: 2014/10/29 12:59
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Kaci Hickox remains defiant, vows to break Maine Ebola quarantine protocol, take issue to court

...she fights for her right to move freely after flying into New Jersey from Sierra Leone on Friday...

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style ... rantine-article-1.1991074

Posted on: 2014/10/29 12:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
It baffles me A LOT that this doctor, and the nurse in Dallas who was planning her wedding, that given the fact they served Ebola patients on their own will, they're obviously non-selfish and have a lot of courage to work with this deadly disease.

However, once they're actually out of the hospital environment (ie dealing with an actual sick patient(s) directly), they cannot control themselves and did not think of all the potential risk they're posing to everyone else. I keep thinking of how the small businesses are impacted by Dr Spencer's "patronage".

Yes, I understand that while they're not showing symtons, they're not contagious, and yada yada yada all that.

But come on, they've seen first hand how scary this disease is. They know they're potentially at risk themselves. I know it's SUPER TOUGH to stay in your home for 21 days, but come on!!!!?!?!?!??!?!

Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Another reason for stricter controls-the NYC doctor, who should know better, initially lied about his whereabouts upon his return until confronted by police over his Metrocard and credit card statements.

Posted on: 2014/10/29 12:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/10/29 11:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/18 4:28
Group:
Registered Users
What/where is that Ebola "kill/death" zone exactly?

Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Nope, just prudent. She had a fever, and had just returned from the Ebola kill zone.

Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Christie cut the Maine nurse loose because she no longer had a fever. The State of Maine, though, told her to shut herself in-and if she doesn't they'll take action.

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/ ... als_say.html#incart_river

Quote:

drifterx wrote:
Perhaps because NY treated their detainees more humanely and not put them in a unheated tent? I'm just guessing.

In any case, both Cuomo and Christie were roundly criticized for their initial harsh stance on quarantine and both have since softened.

There was no reason she couldn't have been quarantined at her home. Christie was grandstanding.

Posted on: 2014/10/29 3:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/13 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote: Crazy as it may sound to you, there are times the government has to take emergency actions for the greater good.

You mean like interning Japanese-American citizens during WW2 ?

Posted on: 2014/10/29 2:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Christie cut the Maine nurse loose because she no longer had a fever. The State of Maine, though, told her to shut herself in-and if she doesn't they'll take action.

Quote:

drifterx wrote:
Perhaps because NY treated their detainees more humanely and not put them in a unheated tent? I'm just guessing.

In any case, both Cuomo and Christie were roundly criticized for their initial harsh stance on quarantine and both have since softened.

There was no reason she couldn't have been quarantined at her home. Christie was grandstanding.

Nonsense. People on these sorts of quarantines have already repeatedly broken them. The NBC Doctor being the most obvious example.

Using that logic, since some people break driving laws, no one should be able to drive.

Also, how contagious was the doctor if no one contracted Ebola? We've had a few cases where people with Ebola have been in public and no one else has contracted it. No puking/diarrhea/bleeding = no ebola

Don't shift the goalposts. You asked a naive question and I gave you the answer.

We still don't know much about how this strain of Ebola is transmitted. Case in point, the NY Ebola doc. He claims he took every precaution, yet still somehow got infected.

The very last thing we want is for this to get out in the general public, where it can't be contained. Imposing swift emergency measures to limit the danger is key. Offering voluntary ineffective instructions that have been proven not to work in the past, would ordinarily be laughable, if people's lives weren't at stake.

Posted on: 2014/10/29 2:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Quote:

drifterx wrote:

Nonsense. People on these sorts of quarantines have already repeatedly broken them. The NBC Doctor being the most obvious example.

Using that logic, since some people break driving laws, no one should be able to drive.

Also, how contagious was the doctor if no one contracted Ebola? We've had a few cases where people with Ebola have been in public and no one else has contracted it. No puking/diarrhea/bleeding = no ebola

Posted on: 2014/10/29 2:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:

Because people can't be trusted to keep them and have already violated them.

At some point naivety and idealism meet reality. That point is when such whimsical beliefs put others lives in danger.

Posted on: 2014/10/29 2:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Quote:

drifterx wrote:

Grandstanding? Not according to a nobel prize-winning doctor who thinks Christie should have gone further:

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/ ... 2011_nobel_prize_win.html

Bruce Beutler, M.D., (left) director of the Center for the Genetics of Host Defense at UT Southwestern Medical Center, won the 2011 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine. While the CDC, ACLU and the UN have attacked Christie's mandatory quarantine for even asymptomatic health workers exposed to Ebola as going too far, Dr. Beutler says it doesn't go far enough.

Posted on: 2014/10/29 2:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Nope, just prudent. She had a fever, and had just returned from the Ebola kill zone.

Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Quote:

drifterx wrote:

Posted on: 2014/10/29 2:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

drifterx wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Debatable. Looks like the Supreme Court has upheld state's rights when it comes to quarantining people.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/27/opinion ... tine/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

That is true but I think such rulings are up for a much needed challenge. Jailing tuberculosis patients? Really?

Yes, really. Crazy as it may sound to you, there are times the government has to take emergency actions for the greater good. Mandatory quarantine to keep everyone else safe is one such measure.

If it will make you feel better, pretend that the quarantined person is an evil racist. That way you won't care about them.

Also, I'm not sure why we need a travel ban when we haven't seen evidence that asymptomatic people are contagious.

Posted on: 2014/10/29 2:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Quote:

drifterx wrote:

Posted on: 2014/10/29 2:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Quote:

drifterx wrote:

Posted on: 2014/10/29 1:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

drifterx wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Debatable. Looks like the Supreme Court has upheld state's rights when it comes to quarantining people.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/27/opinion ... tine/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

That is true but I think such rulings are up for a much needed challenge. Jailing tuberculosis patients? Really?

Yes, really. Crazy as it may sound to you, there are times the government has to take emergency actions for the greater good. Mandatory quarantine to keep everyone else safe is one such measure.

If it will make you feel better, pretend that the quarantined person is an evil racist. That way you won't care about them.

Posted on: 2014/10/29 1:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/10/29 0:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

drifterx wrote:
When you say plenty, you actually meant one right?

I gave one example. Feel free to Google "CDC Ebola misleading" for plenty of other examples.

Posted on: 2014/10/29 0:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/10/29 0:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

drifterx wrote:

Posted on: 2014/10/29 0:34

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 13 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017