Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
114 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 114

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Taqueria on Grove & Bay Street
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Probably because it's not very good and overpriced. Bland guac, overcooked chicken, too-sweet mole, etc.

Speaking of guac, Blue Moon, the restaurant on Montgomery, has a stand at the Grove Street farmers market where they make guac to order. You tell them the heat level you want. It's $8 and they throw in a pretty generous-sized bag of chips. It's the best guac I've found downtown (not that I'm a Mexican food expert). I know it's easy to make yourself, but sometimes I'm just too damn lazy.

Posted on: 2014/10/7 15:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vrug wrote:
All this talk of Mexican food and no mention of Orale, how strange.

Probably because it's not very good and overpriced. Bland guac, overcooked chicken, too-sweet mole, etc.

I had zero reason to ever step in there again before Taqueira 2 Electric Boogaloo opened up, and now have some impossibly less percentage of reason to do so.

Posted on: 2014/10/7 1:27

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/4/24 22:03
Group:
Registered Users
Their chilaquiles are really delicious. And their tacos. Actually, everything I've had there is good. They have this dish called enfrijoladas that's basically enchiladas with a black bean sauce. it's awesome. I don't know if it's authentic or not, but I also don't care
I've been meaning to try those corn masa quesadillas! Next time...

Here's an article about them I found recently if anyone is interested in learning more:
http://www.jerseycityindependent.com/ ... d-eats-los-tres-chilitos/

Posted on: 2014/10/6 18:29

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/15 6:51
From Bergen Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Los Tres Chilitos is awesome. They have a varied, authentic menu. I love the corn masa quesadillas.

Posted on: 2014/10/6 18:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JC_Livin wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

But, seriously, if you want food that truly approximates the real thing, check out Aguila Dorada in Bayonne.

Anyway... thanks for the tip Bodhipooh. Right now I'm a big fan of Los Tres Chilitos, but I will definitely check out Aguila Dorada.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/los-tres-chilitos-jersey-city

Thank you for that recommendation! I will swing by to try out this place. From looking at the Yelp pictures of the menu, they have really authentic stuff listed (huaraches, sopes, chilaquiles) which also happen to be some of my favorites. I love a hearty pozole, as well.

Posted on: 2014/10/6 18:20

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/4/24 22:03
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

But, seriously, if you want food that truly approximates the real thing, check out Aguila Dorada in Bayonne.

Anyway... thanks for the tip Bodhipooh. Right now I'm a big fan of Los Tres Chilitos, but I will definitely check out Aguila Dorada.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/los-tres-chilitos-jersey-city

Posted on: 2014/10/6 17:40

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/27 18:34
From Historic Downtown, JC
Group:
Registered Users
All this talk of Mexican food and no mention of Orale, how strange.

I get that it's not 'authentic' or 'traditional', however, having seen the gentrification food scene in Mexico City and Oaxaca - Orale is the best version of what young Mexicans are looking for eating.

Check it out. I almost guarantee that after trying their bottled salsas you will not look at another bottle of Valentina again.

Some may not be a fan of the ambiance/music, and the price for the neighbourhood, but give it a try for rich flavour (not tex-mex or cali-mex).

Posted on: 2014/10/6 15:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/6/30 13:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GlitterQueen wrote:
I went to the taqueria on grove st not realizing it was the same as the one of grand I have been boycotting for 5 years. I realized this only after ordering. I'm glad the owner was there and being a douchebag. Reminded me why I don't eat there. That was until I bit into my tacos. Flank steak was gross, dry, and looked like pork. The actual pork taco was good but a little salty. The rice and beans is just sad. Legal beans has better rice and beans.

Why can't we get Cali Mexican food here? I never got what my husband, who is from the bay area, was talking about until last time we were visiting. we got tacos at a random taco place and omfg it was crazy good and cheap! Refried beans were creamy and I still think about them(they were amazing). I had no idea why anyone ate refried beans until I ate these.

We can talk about which Mexican is best in JC but really none of it is very good. Viva Mexico is okay but a little bland. Atleast they are nice to their customers and don't go on drunken ranks about how they don't need their JC customers.

BTW 3 tacos, a flautus, one order of rice and beans and 2 sodas shouldn't cost $29.

I wish I knew how to make authentic Mexican food like the taquerias out west. I'd make a killing!

Maybe its you ! Maybe you have no taste. maybe you have no idea how much rents are, along with all the costs that go into running a business, maybe your the d-bag

Posted on: 2014/10/6 14:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
Ordered from here yesterday; delivery was quick - under 30 min - and food was just as good as the Grand St location. And they gave you everything/condiments/etc. you get when you eat at the restaurant.... I appreciate that consistency.

Posted on: 2014/10/6 13:54

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/18 7:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

skyl4rk wrote:
I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time.

-Mitch Hedberg

I miss that guy.

Posted on: 2014/10/6 13:33

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time.

-Mitch Hedberg

Posted on: 2014/10/6 12:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah, more or less what jmiz just said. All this talk about "authentic" Mexican food is laughable. If you want REAL, truly authentic Mexican food, just go to Aguila Dorada in Bayonne. You can find a few real taquerias in NYC, as well. I have not tried the spots on Central, but I will have to check them out at some point.

After traveling all over Mexico for many years, I will tell you this: anytime someone tells me that a restaurant (in the States) serves authentic Mexican food my brain instantly thinks "huh, I think you mean what you THINK is authentic Mexican food".

Besides, talking about authentic Mexican is like talking about authentic American food. What exactly is THAT? Mexico is a HUGE country, divided into 32 different states/districts, with well over 100 million people. What people eat in the North is completely different from what is eaten in the Caribbean coast states, or the Pacific coast states, or further South.

Reading a few posts before about creamy refried beans made me chuckle ("real" refried beans in Mexico are lumpy and thick) and anyone that considers burritos (a staple of Cal Mex) remotely Mexican is quite confused, just as with the so-called quesadillas served at most restaurants in the States. I guess it is the same with what passes for Chinese food.

But, seriously, if you want food that truly approximates the real thing, check out Aguila Dorada in Bayonne, or follow a (Mexican) day laborer where he goes to eat and drink after work. You will find the real deal.

Posted on: 2014/10/6 9:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
Come venture to any one of the half-dozen Mexican restaurants on Central Ave in the big-bad Heights. You'll be served real tacos, cooked by real Mexicans, you'll sit at a table next to a real Mexican family, all of whom may or may not be wearing skinny jeans.

Posted on: 2014/10/6 2:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GlitterQueen wrote:
I went to the taqueria on grove st not realizing it was the same as the one of grand I have been boycotting for 5 years. I realized this only after ordering. I'm glad the owner was there and being a douchebag. Reminded me why I don't eat there. That was until I bit into my tacos. Flank steak was gross, dry, and looked like pork. The actual pork taco was good but a little salty. The rice and beans is just sad. Legal beans has better rice and beans.

Why can't we get Cali Mexican food here? I never got what my husband, who is from the bay area, was talking about until last time we were visiting. we got tacos at a random taco place and omfg it was crazy good and cheap! Refried beans were creamy and I still think about them(they were amazing). I had no idea why anyone ate refried beans until I ate these.

We can talk about which Mexican is best in JC but really none of it is very good. Viva Mexico is okay but a little bland. Atleast they are nice to their customers and don't go on drunken ranks about how they don't need their JC customers.

BTW 3 tacos, a flautus, one order of rice and beans and 2 sodas shouldn't cost $29.

I wish I knew how to make authentic Mexican food like the taquerias out west. I'd make a killing!

I'm pretty sure out west gets the great Mexican food, while we get the great Italian food, bagels, and pizza. Sure it would be nice to also have top-notch Mexican food, but I'll take our arrangement over California's.

Posted on: 2014/10/6 1:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/2 21:22
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/10/5 22:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/7 4:11
Group:
Registered Users
I would think there would be enough business for both. Good luck to all. Just glad the new one opened so close to me near 1st St, so I'll probably mostly support that one for now.

Posted on: 2014/10/4 14:44
I'm not perfect.....but I'm not all bad either.

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/23 0:39
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

rescuelife wrote:
LOL, nothing against the Taqueria "Viva Mexico" but they are a poor man's version of the real Taqueria. There's a reason the one down Grove has a mass of people waiting outside of it regularly.

The ?poor man?s? taqueria versus the ?real? taqueria?? That doesn?t make any sense figuratively or literally.

It?s been several years since I?ve eaten at Taqueria Downtown, but as a repeat customer of Taqueria Viva Mexico, I admit that I?d probably give the edge to TD in terms of their tacos, but not by much, and not in any other category. Taqueria Viva Mexico also has additional menu items like huaraches and sopes, they serve some of the best refried pintos I have ever tasted, and the folks working there are seriously nice people.

I realize people sometimes do stand in line for the joint on the corner of Grove and Grand, but people also stand in line for fluffy bagels, daytime TV talk shows, college bars, or even to buy a new telephone. So?

One of my favorite responses ever on JC list.
I actually completely agree with you too.

Posted on: 2014/10/3 18:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

rescuelife wrote:
LOL, nothing against the Taqueria "Viva Mexico" but they are a poor man's version of the real Taqueria. There's a reason the one down Grove has a mass of people waiting outside of it regularly.

The ?poor man?s? taqueria versus the ?real? taqueria?? That doesn?t make any sense figuratively or literally.

It?s been several years since I?ve eaten at Taqueria Downtown, but as a repeat customer of Taqueria Viva Mexico, I admit that I?d probably give the edge to TD in terms of their tacos, but not by much, and not in any other category. Taqueria Viva Mexico also has additional menu items like huaraches and sopes, they serve some of the best refried pintos I have ever tasted, and the folks working there are seriously nice people.

I realize people sometimes do stand in line for the joint on the corner of Grove and Grand, but people also stand in line for fluffy bagels, daytime TV talk shows, college bars, or even to buy a new telephone. So?

Posted on: 2014/10/3 17:26

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/2 21:46
Group:
Registered Users
Ordered take out via grubhub.com and had no issues at all. Delivery was quick, food was perfectly packaged up and delicious.

Posted on: 2014/10/3 16:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/4 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

There's a reason the one down Grove has a mass of people waiting outside of it regularly.

Their warm and cheerful demeanor?

Posted on: 2014/10/3 15:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I am a 53 yr old retired FMF Corpsman with a bullet in his ass. I don't think I fit anyone's definition a hipster...lol I just like mexican food.

As long as they don't start mugging people I suppose I can live with a few skinny jeans wearing taco eaters.

Posted on: 2014/10/3 14:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Too many hipsters at taqueria downtown =(

Posted on: 2014/10/2 14:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/28 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

NJNJ wrote:
Do not order from here, just don't do it. I ordered from delivery.com when it popped up as "new"-- I live 3 blocks away. An hour later no food. I called and they were totally unapologetic and told me it's "on its way."

Half an hour later the lazy delivery calls my cell phone instead of ringing the door. We get the food and the order is completely screwed up, they missed an entire entree. Call and the manager is a jerk, just gave me complaints and excuses was totally unapologetic. They offered to send the correct order but didn't offer to comp it anything and just told me to "calm down."

Why on earth I ordered from here I have no idea-- I was extremely happy with Tacqueria Viva Mexico-- there is no reason EVER to deal with this place.

Posted on: 2014/10/2 14:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

NJNJ wrote:
Do not order from here, just don't do it. I ordered from delivery.com when it popped up as "new"-- I live 3 blocks away. An hour later no food. I called and they were totally unapologetic and told me it's "on its way."

Half an hour later the lazy delivery calls my cell phone instead of ringing the door. We get the food and the order is completely screwed up, they missed an entire entree. Call and the manager is a jerk, just gave me complaints and excuses was totally unapologetic. They offered to send the correct order but didn't offer to comp it anything and just told me to "calm down."

Why on earth I ordered from here I have no idea-- I was extremely happy with Tacqueria Viva Mexico-- there is no reason EVER to deal with this place.

Thats why I prefer to walk the three whole blocks when I live that close but to each his own I guess. Have had too many bad delivery experiences at other places in the past so I'd rather schlep it myself which is why I like places that are close to me.

I also find that generally when I order food in person the quality has been better. Maybe it shouldn't be that way but that is my experience here in Jersey City.

Posted on: 2014/10/2 4:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Dunno shit about the delivery, but they haven't f'd up any of my takeouts so far.

Posted on: 2014/10/2 3:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
This has happened to me on seamless and I complain directly to seamless, they refund the money, I refuse the delivery when they finally do come and that's it. They can eat the cost and give an accurate delivery estimation next time.

Posted on: 2014/10/2 2:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

NJNJ wrote:

More tacos for the rest of us!

Posted on: 2014/10/2 1:51

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/24 2:10
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/10/2 1:08

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/28 11:18
Group:
Registered Users
I walked by last weekend and thought it was closed w a sign up front saying Coming December. Good to know they're open now for take out. Thanks!

Posted on: 2014/10/1 1:58

Taqueria on Grove & Bay Street
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Just stop by and had two Carnitas Tacos that were very good. I've been walking by and didn't even realize they were open yet. This location is just for take out, delivery and catering and has no seating. Menus are outside and prices are reasonable for authentic Mexican food IMHO. Taqueria 354 Grove St Jersey City, NJ 07302

Posted on: 2014/9/30 20:02

Edited by Webmaster on 2014/9/30 23:13:45
Edited by Webmaster on 2014/9/30 23:15:19

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017