Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
165 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 165

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: "Creative Grove" Market in PATH to Close 9/19 - Lack of Funding/Respect
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
My personal opinion is that Uta means well, but lacks the organizational skills, professional contacts, and widespread support to succeed in this endeavor.

Got to agree here. I went to several of the art openings and fundraising parties Uta threw at the short-lived space on Columbus drive between Jersey and Coles (that is now being converted into condos). The "benefit parties" were very thrown together and poorly attended and advertised. Yet, I got the sense it wasn't lack of passion or enthusiasm from Uta; more a lack of organizational skills. It's a shame but a common issue in the arts community...plenty of creativity, not much of a mind for business.

Posted on: 2014/9/17 13:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
The problem with this story is that it leaves out a lot of the background story.

Uta Brauser tried to self promote herself into "arts ambassador" when Fulop was elected. The related JCList thread is here. She may (or, may not) have an axe to grind with regards to the current administration, who (justifiably) rejected her bid to be appointed to a position.

Additionally, as others have already mentioned, the Creative Grove market was a hot mess. It was a disjointed affair. My personal opinion is that Uta means well, but lacks the organizational skills, professional contacts, and widespread support to succeed in this endeavor. Certainly, the results (lack of support/funding) prove that point. The city was not interested in underwriting her pet project (you can argue as to the reasons) and I think if there was widespread support for the event, it would have the necessary backing (financial and otherwise).

Posted on: 2014/9/17 0:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
I believe the head of Cultural Affairs runs the 6th Borough market

Quote:

donnajc65 wrote:
lets hope so! She did a great job at Grove Street. Unfortunately, she didn't get the support she needed. And apparently, she didn't have the support of the Mayor or the new head of Cultural Affairs.

Posted on: 2014/9/16 20:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
Maybe I'm old and crotchety, but Creative Grove always seemed like a bit of a sh**show to me. I'm sure there's a place in JC for refrigerator painting, but does it have to be in Grove Plaza?

Posted on: 2014/9/16 19:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/1 22:03
Group:
Registered Users
lets hope so! She did a great job at Grove Street. Unfortunately, she didn't get the support she needed. And apparently, she didn't have the support of the Mayor or the new head of Cultural Affairs.

Posted on: 2014/9/16 19:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Ah, i see your issue with name 6th Borough. Got it.
Yeah, it doesn't bother me the same way i just hate to see the other food/art market close as they ran out of funding :(

Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
I avoid the 6th Borough Market, not the actual vendors. I try to spend money locally as much as possible. But, F the market organizers. They're a bunch of Brooklyners too ashamed to embrace their new NJ living, so they tie it into NYC. Yes, I know a bunch of you out there don't care and think this is silly, and you're entitled to that opinion just as much as I am.

But, I know JC natives who take a step further and boycott vendors who sell at the 6B market, which is kind of silly. To each their own.

Change the name of the market. Have some respect for the locals/natives.

Quote:

asny10011 wrote:
Which ones to you avoid?? Are they not good?

Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Change the name and I am all in. I'm not alone on that one. People I know go so far as to avoid vendors who sell at that market. At least I'm not THAT bad, lol.

Quote:

asny10011 wrote:
6th Borough market is great but is only 1x a month. It's a nice start but i've come to depend on the weekly weekday offerings at Creative Grove for last minute provisions and takeout :)

Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Yet somehow 6th Borough market soldiers on. Such a shame. Can we swap them?

Posted on: 2014/9/16 19:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
I avoid the 6th Borough Market, not the actual vendors. I try to spend money locally as much as possible. But, F the market organizers. They're a bunch of Brooklyners too ashamed to embrace their new NJ living, so they tie it into NYC. Yes, I know a bunch of you out there don't care and think this is silly, and you're entitled to that opinion just as much as I am.

But, I know JC natives who take a step further and boycott vendors who sell at the 6B market, which is kind of silly. To each their own.

Change the name of the market. Have some respect for the locals/natives.

Quote:

asny10011 wrote:

Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Change the name and I am all in. I'm not alone on that one. People I know go so far as to avoid vendors who sell at that market. At least I'm not THAT bad, lol.

Quote:

asny10011 wrote:
6th Borough market is great but is only 1x a month. It's a nice start but i've come to depend on the weekly weekday offerings at Creative Grove for last minute provisions and takeout :)

Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/9/16 19:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:

Quote:

asny10011 wrote:

Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/9/16 18:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned

Quote:

asny10011 wrote:

Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/9/16 18:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/9/16 18:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2014/9/16 18:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Next stop JSQ

Posted on: 2014/9/16 18:08

"Creative Grove" Market in PATH to Close 9/19 - Lack of Funding/Respect
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Creative Grove founder: Lack of funding, respect leads to end of artist market

By Summer Dawn Hortillosa | The Jersey Journal
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on September 16, 2014 at 11:30 AM, updated September 16, 2014 at 12:08 PM

After a six-year run, the Creative Grove Artist and Designer Market at the Grove Street PATH Plaza in Jersey City is coming to a close.

The festival -- which brought music, art and artisan goods to the plaza every Friday for half a decade, and on a monthly basis this year -- fell victim to funding issues, its organizer said.

Founder Uta Brauser, of the nonprofit Arts in Action, said Creative Grove transformed the plaza into a gathering place and helped pave the way for many other outdoor events across the city.

"We wanted to bring cultural programming and grow a sustainable marketplace for locally handmade arts," she said. "We wanted to grow community and sustainability in the city ... a welcoming and friendly environment."

Over the years, Creative Grove has featured fine art, artisan goods and clothing, fashion shows, participatory art (paint a fridge, anyone?), an outdoor lounge, musical performances and more.

Unfortunately, Brauser says she's had trouble securing sufficient funding to put together what had been 50 events a year. The cost of running the weekly market amounted to roughly $75,000 annually, which came from market vendor fees and money out of her own pocket, Brauser says.

"We did everything on a shoestring budget, grassroots style," she said.

Brauser said she has grown was frustrated and tired with the time-consuming process of stumping for the proper funding.

She also says that there were some years in which the Arts in Action received some funding and support, especially from the City Council, but now she feels disrespected by the city.

Jersey City Mayor Steve "Fulop has said that if there were programs worth funding, it wouldn't be a problem ... so we're not worth the funding?" said Brauser. "That's where I had my heart cut out of my chest."

Cultural Affairs director Elizabeth Cain did not respond to repeated requests for comment, but city spokeswoman Jennifer Morrill said "While we are very sad to see this market leave, the other markets Downtown and elsewhere in the city continue to grow."

Brauser will be focusing her energy on projects in New York but first, she's going out with a bang.

The final Creative Grove -- Sept. 19 from 3 to 9 p.m. at Grove Street PATH Plaza -- will feature live music curated by Playmusician, the group behind PMJAMNITES at Dorrian's. Performers include Matty D, Joe Taylor, Kieran Sullivan, Mark Aaron James with the PMJamband, Living in Time Machines, GMJ Groove and more.

There will also be visual art, food, an outdoor lounge, vendors, paint a car, participatory art happenings and alcoholic beverages from Lucky 7 Tavern. Kevon Simpson (or Kevon Inspires) leads guided meditation at 4 p.m. and Pam the Guru leads body sculpting at 6 p.m.

For more information, visit CreativeGrove.org.

LINK

Posted on: 2014/9/16 17:52

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017