Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
118 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 118

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: Speed bump between 8th and 9th on Erie.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/5 2:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
It's simple - people shouldnt be using Erie as a pass through street for their commute. I am all for making it painful to drive through Hamilton Park and any other neighborhood in JC. Even with the stop signs... I am regularly rushed by cars at the stops and would gamble I'm not the only one.

Maybe the execution blew, but it is at the very least the most proactive thing the city has done to manage traffic and slow it down. I honestly figured nothing would happen until a person bounced off the hood of someones car and died.

When are these going up on Manilla??

Quote:

cuse04 wrote:
not only is it excessive (considering all the new stop signs in the area), but it also seems to be contributing to the cluster-f that already is rush hour traffic on erie getting to the tunnel. you have to go so slowly over it, that traffic backs up to 6th street and no one can get through the intersection before the light changes.

Posted on: 2014/9/19 19:30

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/18 13:37
Group:
Registered Users
not only is it excessive (considering all the new stop signs in the area), but it also seems to be contributing to the cluster-f that already is rush hour traffic on erie getting to the tunnel. you have to go so slowly over it, that traffic backs up to 6th street and no one can get through the intersection before the light changes.

Posted on: 2014/9/19 19:03

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/21 0:04
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
booya

Posted on: 2014/9/19 18:54

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/21 0:04
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/9/19 18:53

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/26 20:59
From 240 Newark Avenue
Group:
Registered Users
The claims are now being bumped back to the city. I went to City Hall and picked up the 7 page claim form to fill out and return with photos, insurance paperwork and estimates from a body shop.

I just happened to drive down 8th street this morning and the speed bump on 8th by West Hamilton is a perfectly reasonable and nicely painted hump... nothing like the one on St. Pauls that I hit. I haven't seen the one on Erie everyone's talking about but it's probably similar.

Posted on: 2014/9/19 16:33
www.JerseyCityMusic.com
-----------------

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
I would like to hear the Mayor's office admit the city made a mistake on these heights and shoddy installation/rollout and apologize. A simple "we realize now mistakes were made and we're doing everything we can to fix it going foprward" would go a long waqy.

Posted on: 2014/9/19 15:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
First drive over the Erie St. hump this morning (odd since I live right near it). At first I thought people were overreacting but, hehe, that particular one really is clownishly big. It's far larger than the other ones even on the same street.

I did get over it just fine in a Prius but I drove over it really really slow.

I'm all in favor of traffic calming systems, but I think just this one hump does need a little shave. It would still work fine if it was like the others.

BTW there was a PIX 11 news truck parked right next to it this morning, so I guess our speed humps are making the news now.

Posted on: 2014/9/19 13:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
Points for creativity, I chuckled a little

Broadly speaking to this forum, if ya can't laugh from time to time, you should probably just join a monastery.

Happy Friday, ya miserable bastards!

Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
This is all Obama's fault.

Obama should have micro managed Christie
Christie should have micro managed Fulop
Fulop should have micro managed the Traffic Engineers
The Traffic Engineers should have micro managed the contractor
The contractor should have micro managed their own supervisors
The supervisors should have micro managed the blue-collar workers
The blue-collar workers should have read the code height of the hump.

Obama you bastard - you wrecked my car

Posted on: 2014/9/19 12:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
This is all Obama's fault.

Obama should have micro managed Christie
Christie should have micro managed Fulop
Fulop should have micro managed the Traffic Engineers
The Traffic Engineers should have micro managed the contractor
The contractor should have micro managed their own supervisors
The supervisors should have micro managed the blue-collar workers
The blue-collar workers should have read the code height of the hump.

Obama you bastard - you wrecked my car

Posted on: 2014/9/19 8:07
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
What an absolute FUBAR situation, if the city government hadn't had a "God Complex" who cares about the details and legality of such details we wouldn't be in this situation in the first place. I squarely blame them for the ridiculous height of these humps. There are laws and codes for a reason and even JC officials aren't above them. I thought that self-love exited with Healy but the evidence suggests otherwise. What kind of clowns do we have running this show?

Have they been fixed yet on Erie?

CBS NY
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/09/1 ... lowering-big-speed-bumps/

Posted on: 2014/9/19 3:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/31 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
Nice backpedaling. It's a city street, the claim is against the city. Let the city subrogate to the contractor - if there was/is one.
I found a link to the codes & standards on another website where people don't talk out of their (fat) asses all day about everything, whilst saying nothing.
Cars with 5" of air dam clearance are being damaged. I suspect as with most operations in this city, nobody really knew what was needed or how to implement the plan.
Let's hope Brooke Psycho Hansson doesn't drive a Bimmer!

Posted on: 2014/9/19 1:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

colleen wrote:
FAB will you be covering topics such as approach and departure angles, break-over point, overhang and ground effects?
The standard is 3? to 4 inches. These moguls are Total overkill, designed to liberate JCPD from modifying driver behavior thru Community Oriented Policing and strict dtadardized enforcement of current traffic laws.

As I mentioned earlier, if the hump is not to code, every motorist affected can make a claim to the construction company that installed them.
I was curious enough to experience these 'moguls' first hand and couldn't bottom out or lose a front spoiler travelling at the posted speed limit; the vehicle I used was a real clunker.

I am all for making those accountable, accountable and it would have to be the people who erected the humps - When any contractor is asked to built or erect something, it MUST be to code, thus if it isn't, then they are accountable - Turning this into a political agenda is stupid as they will simply point the finger to the construction company and ask them to please explain .... this is why all construction companies are mandated to have public liability insurance as I have with my work.

Posted on: 2014/9/18 22:28
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/31 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
FAB will you be covering topics such as approach and departure angles, break-over point, overhang and ground effects?
The standard is 3? to 4 inches. These moguls are Total overkill, designed to liberate JCPD from modifying driver behavior thru Community Oriented Policing and strict dtadardized enforcement of current traffic laws.

Posted on: 2014/9/18 22:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

I don't think you understand geometry very well. Surprising, since you work in the construction industry, if I recall correctly.

A 90-degree curb is completely different from a hump. In the situation of a car going over a curb, once a set of wheels has cleared the obstacle, they remain elevated in relation to the other set of wheels. So, the body of the car will continue to clear the curb. In the case of the humps, once a set of wheels has cleared the hump and gone past the apex of the hump, the wheels start to come down and, as the vehicles progresses over its path, the wheels will reach same elevation, but the body will not necessarily clear the hump. That's why there are published guidelines for height, width and depth. Looking at all the pictures, these humps are not at all like other humps I have seen. And, that is why cars are bottoming out.

Of course, going by VERY SLOW (crawling?) will probably allow for MOST cars to clear the humps, but that's not realistic nor fair. You should be able to clear the humps by traveling at, or below, the speed limit. That's not possible right now for many, or most, cars.

The ride height of a vehicle will always clear a curb - A curb is designed that way and vehicles are required to have a specific minimum clearance - The wheels of a car are ALWAYS set behind the front spoiler, unless you drive a fred flintstone car ... so the first thing that would make contact with a curb is the spoiler

Classes will start next Monday at 7.00pm

Posted on: 2014/9/18 22:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
The on Erie before the school makes no sense.

This is continued pressure from the neighborhood to basically turn Erie into a parking lot.

Right now you have:

- Ridiculous bump
- Stop sign at Pavonia- with a one way going out and minimal pedestrian traffic
- Parents constantly doubled parked outside the school.

The whole people causing the problem get no tickets and people driving normally are shocked with stupidity.

The neighborhood associations are deferred to on everything just because they whine the loudest, while they just want no development, no cars, and some kind of granola utopia. No thanks.

Posted on: 2014/9/18 20:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
This is just for Duncan. And my point is removal shouldn't happen without cost, safety and traffic analysis. Its a huge waste of money. Just fix it - shave it down, paint and mark it properly. But this one self-righteous loudmouth won't stop. And what's terrible is that decisions are being made just to shut her up rather than what is best for the safety of the area.

Posted on: 2014/9/18 18:44

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/25 12:21
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:

And while I can appreciate that the Councilmen were trying to do damage control on the horrible rollout, I'm horrified in how they came to a decision to remove it. On the fly, right there at the meeting, they told the Traffic guys to remove it this Friday.

Are they removing all of them or just the one on Duncan? If they aren't proceeding with installing the other humps I hope they at least fill in where they ground down the street in prep to install other humps.

Posted on: 2014/9/18 18:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/5 2:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Funny how some people act - I usually take it as an indication of not having control over anything else in their lives; one of the many reasons I keep local politics an arms length away

Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
They are opposed because they weren't a part of the decision making process to put these on the streets. The one woman is also opposed because she is is trying to make the area a Designated Historic District and has said in writing that she does not feel that speed humps would "fit the look and feel of [a historic neighborhood]". Then she flat out denied she ever said that when I called that out to the audience. Um, dtjc got humps in the hisoric district area and there is nothing in historic district guidelines against speed humps. (This is also the same woman who is trying to push through this designation with a small group of supporters for a wide swath of Ward B without involving the appropriate council people in the process or adequately announcing the handlful of public meetings being held on it...also not fully notifying all homeonwers in the proposed district that this is underway and what the process is...smh). Such a bunch of crap.

And while I can appreciate that the Councilmen were trying to do damage control on the horrible rollout, I'm horrified in how they came to a decision to remove it. On the fly, right there at the meeting, they told the Traffic guys to remove it this Friday. I am left to wonder if Council people have that authority to do that in that manner. Isn't there a process to reverse a public works project since lots of money and safety issues are at stake? I've alerted the Mayor's office that Council are taking matters into their own hands with little to no analysis. We shall see.

Posted on: 2014/9/18 17:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
They are opposed because they weren't a part of the decision making process to put these on the streets. The one woman is also opposed because she is is trying to make the area a Designated Historic District and has said in writing that she does not feel that speed humps would "fit the look and feel of [a historic neighborhood]". Then she flat out denied she ever said that when I called that out to the audience. Um, dtjc got humps in the hisoric district area and there is nothing in historic district guidelines against speed humps. (This is also the same woman who is trying to push through this designation with a small group of supporters for a wide swath of Ward B without involving the appropriate council people in the process or adequately announcing the handlful of public meetings being held on it...also not fully notifying all homeonwers in the proposed district that this is underway and what the process is...smh). Such a bunch of crap.

And while I can appreciate that the Councilmen were trying to do damage control on the horrible rollout, I'm horrified in how they came to a decision to remove it. On the fly, right there at the meeting, they told the Traffic guys to remove it this Friday. I am left to wonder if Council people have that authority to do that in that manner. Isn't there a process to reverse a public works project since lots of money and safety issues are at stake? I've alerted the Mayor's office that Council are taking matters into their own hands with little to no analysis. We shall see.

Posted on: 2014/9/18 16:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Surprised anyone would oppose one of these on their own block, obviously they don't have children.

Robin.

Posted on: 2014/9/18 16:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
It is true. Its horrible. And during the meeting, the irate woman leading it had the nerve to tell some of us that we didn't get a say because we didn't live on that specific block (I live half a block away), yet we were invited to the meeting. WTF?? I am FURIOUS.

Your tax dollars at work. Anyway maybe you should be thanking this woman. Perhaps she saved the city $$$ in future lawsuits.

Next time I'd suggest to the geniuses in charge that they ensure everything is built to code and properly marked out before acting.

Posted on: 2014/9/18 15:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
It is true. Its horrible. And during the meeting, the irate woman leading it had the nerve to tell some of us that we didn't get a say because we didn't live on that specific block (I live half a block away), yet we were invited to the meeting. WTF?? I am FURIOUS.

Posted on: 2014/9/18 15:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
If that's true, that's just sad. Those guys buckled like a belt with no actual data. Hudson County politics at its finest.

It's incredibly sad when a handful of people have so much influence. Keep the humps. Slow the F down and STFU already.

Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
An irtate resident on Duncan Ave. called a meeting last night about the speed hump installed on the street. Councilmen Ramchal & Lavarro and the 2 main traffic and engineer reps from the city came to speak/answer questions. Even though only about 20 residents were there, the meeting was a horror show.

Every resident agreed the rollout process and the height were disasterously done/handled. However, when the city reps siad they planned to shave/lower the hump and finally properly mark it tomorrow, a few very loud people balked at this and insisted on its immediate removal to be followed by a traffic study. The Councilmen waffled, first saying let's shave/mark it and see how that works for a few weeks, then decide. Then after these few yelled some more, they back-peddled and decided to removie it entirely tomorrow. WITHOUT ANY COST/FINANCIAL DATA to inform the decision.

What a sh$tshow.

Posted on: 2014/9/18 14:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
An irtate resident on Duncan Ave. called a meeting last night about the speed hump installed on the street. Councilmen Ramchal & Lavarro and the 2 main traffic and engineer reps from the city came to speak/answer questions. Even though only about 20 residents were there, the meeting was a horror show.

Every resident agreed the rollout process and the height were disasterously done/handled. However, when the city reps siad they planned to shave/lower the hump and finally properly mark it tomorrow, a few very loud people balked at this and insisted on its immediate removal to be followed by a traffic study. The Councilmen waffled, first saying let's shave/mark it and see how that works for a few weeks, then decide. Then after these few yelled some more, they back-peddled and decided to removie it entirely tomorrow. WITHOUT ANY COST/FINANCIAL DATA to inform the decision.

What a sh$tshow.

Posted on: 2014/9/18 14:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Speed bumps don't have to be negotiable at the speed limit on the road they are located.

That's like saying stop signs should be taken at the speed limit!

Robin.

Posted on: 2014/9/18 14:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
I'm starting to have my doubts with some of the claims on JClist - I took a friends 1998 Ford Clunker Sedan and went over the so called humps at the posted speed sign and didn't bottom out once...and my friends car is a real piece of crap with faulty shock absorbers.

The claim of bottoming out and loosing front spoilers etc is crap as all cars can clear a 90 degree curb without a slope to them and all the humps are sloped.

Speed and cars with faulty or poor suspension appears to be the main problem here.

I don't think you understand geometry very well. Surprising, since you work in the construction industry, if I recall correctly.

A 90-degree curb is completely different from a hump. In the situation of a car going over a curb, once a set of wheels has cleared the obstacle, they remain elevated in relation to the other set of wheels. So, the body of the car will continue to clear the curb. In the case of the humps, once a set of wheels has cleared the hump and gone past the apex of the hump, the wheels start to come down and, as the vehicles progresses over its path, the wheels will reach same elevation, but the body will not necessarily clear the hump. That's why there are published guidelines for height, width and depth. Looking at all the pictures, these humps are not at all like other humps I have seen. And, that is why cars are bottoming out.

Of course, going by VERY SLOW (crawling?) will probably allow for MOST cars to clear the humps, but that's not realistic nor fair. You should be able to clear the humps by traveling at, or below, the speed limit. That's not possible right now for many, or most, cars.

Posted on: 2014/9/18 11:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCman24 wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
I'm starting to have my doubts with some of the claims on JClist - I took a friends 1998 Ford Clunker Sedan and went over the so called humps at the posted speed sign and didn't bottom out once...and my friends car is a real piece of crap with faulty shock absorbers.

The claim of bottoming out and loosing front spoilers etc is crap as all cars can clear a 90 degree curb without a slope to them and all the humps are sloped.

Speed and cars with faulty or poor suspension appears to be the main problem here.

Your use of "loosing" renders your argument invalid.

"loosing"? OMG - my spell-checker barfed! GTFO!

Posted on: 2014/9/18 4:18

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/18 2:46
Group:
Registered Users
Can you guys imagine how these things going to work when it snows or worse we run out of salt again winter and skate over these things!

Posted on: 2014/9/18 3:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/27 14:41
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:

Your use of "loosing" renders your argument invalid.

Posted on: 2014/9/18 3:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
I took a friends 1998 Ford Clunker Sedan and went over the so called humps at the posted speed sign and didn't bottom out once...and my friends car is a real piece of crap with faulty shock absorbers.

Same. I coasted over them without a problem. Perversely changing 9th and Erie to a 2-way stop might help. I think people race to beat the light, hit the bump unexpectedly and freak-out.

Posted on: 2014/9/18 1:34

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017