Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
111 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 111

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: Speed bump between 8th and 9th on Erie.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
I'm pro-speed humps, but this contractor is AWFUL.

This speed hump installation is happening systematically CITY WIDE, and not just DTJC. I'm presently very involved on this for the Duncan ave. one in Ward B. It seems that the contractor did a crappy job on rollout and Traffic did not supervise them well, if at all. We are having the same height, no markings and lacking or poor signage you all are reporting with this location. Its epidemic.

Up here, they closed the street multiple times without signage or warnings, contractors were rude to residents trying to access off-street parking on the block for those who have that. And get this - cars were towed without any NO PARKING signage posted when they went to install them. Lastly, they left deep cuts in the road for days without warning signs. Total idiots. The City needs to get their money back from this firm and never use them again. City traffic employees did a crappy job of supervising them and assuring best practices were performed (proper height, signage, etc.)

Mayor, where's the RFP for this contractor, huh? Let's try to get the best company for the job, not the cheapest, m'kay?

Article from JJ today on this.

Maybe the contractor donated to Fulop's campaign. I'd be interested to learn more.

Posted on: 2014/9/16 16:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
I'm pro-speed humps, but this contractor is AWFUL.

This speed hump installation is happening systematically CITY WIDE, and not just DTJC. I'm presently very involved on this for the Duncan ave. one in Ward B. It seems that the contractor did a crappy job on rollout and Traffic did not supervise them well, if at all. We are having the same height, no markings and lacking or poor signage you all are reporting with this location. Its epidemic.

Up here, they closed the street multiple times without signage or warnings, contractors were rude to residents trying to access off-street parking on the block for those who have that. And get this - cars were towed without any NO PARKING signage posted when they went to install them. Lastly, they left deep cuts in the road for days without warning signs. Total idiots. The City needs to get their money back from this firm and never use them again. City traffic employees did a crappy job of supervising them and assuring best practices were performed (proper height, signage, etc.)

Mayor, where's the RFP for this contractor, huh? Let's try to get the best company for the job, not the cheapest, m'kay?

Article from JJ today on this.

Posted on: 2014/9/16 16:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/4 19:30
Group:
Registered Users
It is the highest speed hump I have ever seen. Logic, Jersey City...does not compute.

Posted on: 2014/9/16 15:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:
The problem is that the speedbumps were not painted so you can NOT see them at night.

Why would they put speed bumps without painting them? .. smh.

why would they put up stop signs without painting "STOP" in front of them?

because Jersey City.

Posted on: 2014/9/16 14:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
I think this German guy came up with pretty good idea. It?s a speed bump that doesn?t harm the bottom of cars.

Posted on: 2014/9/16 13:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
New Jersey City speed bumps will be lowered after causing cars to bottom out
By Michaelangelo Conte | The Jersey Journal
on September 16, 2014 at 7:31 AM, updated September 16, 2014 at 7:37 AM

Large speed bumps installed in Jersey City are causing numerous vehicles to bottom out and grind into the road surface, prompting city officials to lower the humps.

?Oh my God, what moron did this?,? said a man who identified himself only as Walter after driving his pickup truck over a speed bump on Erie Street near Eighth Street this afternoon. ?Too high? I?ll get whiplash.?

Jj piece?

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... lowered.html#incart_river

Posted on: 2014/9/16 13:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/24 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Apparently these "huge" bumps are going up all over JC. Harrison Avenue between West Side Ave and JFK have TWO on the block. One is of normal size while the second one is mammoth. I hit the second one and flew in the air. I am not aware of any damage to my car but I will have a mechanic have a look at the under carriage. Not against speed bumps, but the rollout of this is a complete fail.

Posted on: 2014/9/16 13:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/8/30 8:48
Group:
Registered Users
I agree that these things should always have an overall plan behind them and follow standards.

But I think the humpage on 8th is defensible because that area of 8th and its intersection with Jersey is constantly full of pedestrians, parents, children, pets, etc., coming in and out of Hamilton Park, all dealing with cars turning left off Jersey. And of course it's right where that little boy was hit by a car last summer.

In addition, with the opening of the Silverman properties and the popularity of the restaurants and shops at street level there (yay, placemaking!), not to mention the various festivals increasingly held in the little lot north of the park, that area is becoming increasingly pedestrian-focused (yay).

So the humps, stops signs, etc. right there might be squeaky-wheelism, and might be overkill, but if we're erring, I'm glad we're erring on the side of slower speeds in the neighborhood -- for a change.

Posted on: 2014/9/16 13:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
I think what bothers me the most is the lack of logic in planning these, it feel like it was just oil to shut up the squeaky wheels just like all the stop signs that were sprinkled wherever someone complained loud enough.

Speed humps are normally an alternative to stop signs as a way of slowing traffic without actually stopping it. One well placed hump that comes to mind is in Hoboken on Jackson just before 3rd as you approach the projects. Slows traffic, without putting an unnecessary stop there since there's no cross traffic. There's several on Monroe too, which has few stops.

But putting a hump just before a stop sign is moronic. You could make an argument for the usual physical alert to a stop, grooving the roadway so it rumbles you. But these random humps just feet before or after stops is idiocy. The one on 8th between the stops at Mcwilliams and Jersey is a prime example. That's only 200ft! Hardly a dragstrip.

As for the city using poor contractors, that's a whole nother story...

Posted on: 2014/9/16 2:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
The problems with the speed bumps reminds me last year attempt to repave Newark Avenue near India Square, crooked lines, concrete splashed on bushes and light poles, plus left over concrete not properly disposed. This administration needs to get its act together.

Posted on: 2014/9/16 2:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Hey, how did you know I have a POS Civic? now I am truly paranoid

Posted on: 2014/9/16 2:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
If you need a new muffler for you Enzo, or POS civic, just use the speed hump to rip it off the car then have the city pay for it.
They deserve to.

Quote:

AlexC wrote:
pay attention to the road, drive at the appropriate speed and maybe you wont have a problem.

hey you know what, i won't drive my Ferrari Enzo down Erie anymore, I should be fine.

whiny idiots

Posted on: 2014/9/16 2:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
pay attention to the road, drive at the appropriate speed and maybe you wont have a problem.

hey you know what, i won't drive my Ferrari Enzo down Erie anymore, I should be fine.

whiny idiots

Posted on: 2014/9/16 1:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:

There are strict guidelines to speed humps that include width, height, minimum ride height of vehicles consideration, materials use (rubber types are supposed to be quieter) and the speed limit posted for the bump.

Its not a case of building what you want, unless your an inept, dumb-ass city engineer or roads manager.

Yeah, you're right that there are strict guidelines. Sounds like JC ignored them. You can't just ignore the guidelines and think everything will be ok as long as you put up a sign.

As others have said, this stupidity very well may cost all of us taxpayers lots of $$$ in lawsuits.

Once and if legal action is taken, I can' t see why the city officials accountable and responsible for their erection (humps) aren't fired - Its not a Healy of Fulop thing, but rather those officials in power to make it happen legally and to code.

Posted on: 2014/9/16 1:56
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Here's the NJ state transportation website which states that generally the state hold speed hump design to the standards set forth by the Institute of Transportation Engineers (ITE).

http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/eng/documents/speedhumps/

Here's the best info I could find on the ITE website for the standard
http://www.ite.org/traffic/hump.asp

Seems that JC likely needed special permission to install the hump, assuming the traffic exceeding 3000 cars a day.

It's highly likely based on what I've been able to find the they are out of compliance with State and ITE guidelines with the height, length and markings of the speed hump. Technically according to the info it's more of an hugely oversized speed bump as humps tend to be much longer 10'- 12' and max 4" high. Based on this there seems to be an absolutely huge window of liability to the city in terms of vehicle damage and personal injury damage as a result of a rear-ending accident for example.
Not to mention the impact the poorly designed hump has on slowing response times for emergency vehicles.
So dumb, the guy who designed/approved this should be fired.

Posted on: 2014/9/16 1:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:

There are strict guidelines to speed humps that include width, height, minimum ride height of vehicles consideration, materials use (rubber types are supposed to be quieter) and the speed limit posted for the bump.

Its not a case of building what you want, unless your an inept, dumb-ass city engineer or roads manager.

Yeah, you're right that there are strict guidelines. Sounds like JC ignored them. You can't just ignore the guidelines and think everything will be ok as long as you put up a sign.

As others have said, this stupidity very well may cost all of us taxpayers lots of $$$ in lawsuits.

Posted on: 2014/9/16 1:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Someone should go measure that beast and document it. Maybe we can submit a complaint to the State.

Posted on: 2014/9/16 1:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
It's Jersey City, we have to accept that things will not done in a logical and thoughtful manner. I thought that this kind of stupid planning would have left with Healy but here we are. Same as putting up the unapproved stop signs with no lines in the road or "New Sign" light or other warning. Get it together JC! Awful!

Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:
The problem is that the speedbumps were not painted so you can NOT see them at night.

Posted on: 2014/9/16 1:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Doesn't the speed limit sign indicate what you should be driving at - I've notice that if stick to the limit or slower you don't have a problem with the bumps.

I do not believe this to be true. If you hit any of those bumps at the area's posted limit of 25 mph you would have air and/or major damage. You need to hit them at about 5 mph to avoid drama.

These humps are going to cost us all a fortune in lost lawsuits by the city. Massive humps + no painting and signage= big payouts.

Once again, it has been mentioned that signs will be posted.

This might clarify things:

you'll have to search the actual specifications of a speed hump as mentioned in the link

This might help to:

http://transportation.njit.edu/nctip/ ... Speeds_files/image240.gif

Posted on: 2014/9/16 0:54

Edited by fat-ass-bike on 2014/9/16 1:19:12
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Doesn't the speed limit sign indicate what you should be driving at - I've notice that if stick to the limit or slower you don't have a problem with the bumps.

I do not believe this to be true. If you hit any of those bumps at the area's posted limit of 25 mph you would have air and/or major damage. You need to hit them at about 5 mph to avoid drama.

These humps are going to cost us all a fortune in lost lawsuits by the city. Massive humps + no painting and signage= big payouts.

Posted on: 2014/9/16 0:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

Good point. Braking immediately before, or on the top of the bump is generally a recipe for damage. Brake well in advance and coast over them with little or no gas, and clutch fully in if you're driving stick-shift.

If you hit one unexpectedly at speed, you're probably better off maintaining speed - but you should make a point of understanding how your car behaves and how it's balance shifts over bumps and cornering. And ABS, AWD and traction control can make a big difference to that. On City streets, it's worth turning that stuff off if you can, except when there's snow/ice.

Its much better when sound advice is given to a situation on JClist - Love reading this sort of stuff then the regular rant that we're all guilty of. Problem solving and troubleshooting ranks high in my book !

Posted on: 2014/9/15 23:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Damage occurs when people exceed the limit then slow suddenly when they notice the bump, causing their cars to dip

Good point. Braking immediately before, or on the top of the bump is generally a recipe for damage. Brake well in advance and coast over them with little or no gas, and clutch fully in if you're driving stick-shift.

If you hit one unexpectedly at speed, you're probably better off maintaining speed - but you should make a point of understanding how your car behaves and how it's balance shifts over bumps and cornering. And ABS, AWD and traction control can make a big difference to that. On City streets, it's worth turning that stuff off if you can, except when there's snow/ice.

Posted on: 2014/9/15 22:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Posted on: 2014/9/15 21:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/7 23:14
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nytransplant wrote:
The problem is that the speedbumps were not painted so you can NOT see them at night. I hit one on St. Paul's just after you make the left off of Tonnele Ave getting off 1/9. They are HUGE as well...ridiculous you cannot see these at night..you can't blame this on drivers...

Agreed - I didn't see them at ALL the other night, and hit both of them pretty hard. I wasn't driving fast, either. It's particularly bad because it's not like these are new roads and/or they've notified residents - they've just put these up and BAM, no warning.

Edit: I think I noticed a sign by the second one, after I hit the first hump/bump. The problem is, if you've been driving on the same road for years, you're not necessarily looking to see if there are new signs up. Would it have been that hard to paint the damn hump itself?

Posted on: 2014/9/15 21:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users

Damage occurs when people exceed the limit then slow suddenly when they notice the bump, causing their cars to dip - I've also noted a few 'lowered' cars hit them too; Traffic engineers use American standards for speed bump height that takes inconsideration speed and legal height requirements of vehicles.

As mentioned, the bump signs are coming, but the speed limits if obeyed, will not cause your vehicle to bottom out !

The only argument one could pose is that it reduces emergency vehicle response times or ride in the back of an ambulance ... but only by a VERY small percentage.

Posted on: 2014/9/15 20:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah, I just hit that one at night and boy was that a surprise! I have a large SUV with air suspension (that I wished I had raised when I hit it but was still fine) so no big deal to me, but I can't imagine someone in a Porsche 911 or some other sports car with low ground clearance wouldn't ruin their car if they hit that one quickly. And they would have a GREAT case in court (non-standard size, no warning/paint).

Posted on: 2014/9/15 20:12

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/15 19:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CandiceOsborne wrote:
Hi all -

As it relates to the speed humps that have gone in, I have gotten many complaints about how high they are and questioning if they are in accordance with best practices. I reported those findings to the administration and they have told me the issues will be resolved.

Best,
Candice

That's good to know but would like to hear more than "the issues will be resolved."

It's 2 simple questions:
1) what is going to be done
2) when will it be done (in the next week, month, year?)

Posted on: 2014/9/15 19:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
The speedbump on Erie and 8th is excellent!

Please, please don't neuter it and make it useless like those on 8th at Jersey and 9th at Jersey.

Robin.

Posted on: 2014/9/15 19:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/4 19:30
Group:
Registered Users
1. It is too high, they should make it lower. 2. Paint the Hump and add a warning sign. 3. We need a stop sign at 8th and Manila.

Posted on: 2014/9/15 18:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
The new speed bumps were built to six inches and not the standard three. There is one on Skillman Av between St. Pauls & Van Winkle with a sign saying "speed bump" but you're not prepared for their height. So yes they must be cut down and then painted and until then beware, keep your seatbelts on...It's gonna be a bumpy ride.

Posted on: 2014/9/15 18:17

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017