Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
104 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 104

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 »

Re: City Employee Caught on Vulgar Rant
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/2/23 1:38
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
If she was yelling at children (not sure why white would make a difference), that would be inappropriate on an emotional level. Children are not expected to be intellectual equals. The people she was yelling at were adults.

You can argue that her response to people littering in her doorway was inappropriate but not because those folks are children. These are GROWN adults. There are TV shows dedicated to people who throw trash in their own homes and live in it. That's a sickness. These folks don't seem to have that sickness, because they're not doing this in their own homes, they're doing it at someone else's. These are people who go out and litter in/on someone else's home and apparently don't feel compelled to clean up their mess, or respect others people's right to peace and quiet in their own home. If this behavior is acceptable (including those congregating at her door/corner/building) perhaps they should bring the party to you? Or keep it in the privacy of their own home. But of course they're not going to do that, bc they don't want to live in that mess, so they're doing it elsewhere. Does this sound like a race issue? Or a specific group of people-being-jerks issue?

Posted on: 2014/9/17 0:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
Much better said than I ever could. Nice work.

Posted on: 2014/9/17 0:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Since none of you live around here let me school you. She was not screaming at children these are grown ass men and women who were smoking pot, and drinking alcohol.

The majority of the people that hang out there are usually unemployed blacks and whites who are looking to score an 8 ball or some smack.

This corner is not a bunch of kindergarten children with a bad upbringing these are usually adults from Newark, Irvington, East Orange. some locals and Bayonne.

They usually come to Greenville around 10pm because working residents are not out and about here because we have no restaurant row just drug rows. The hottest spots are Woodlawn (which is now cleaned up somewhat with active policing) Bostwick, Stegman and Union. These areas are where you will find dealers, users and hookers here in GV. So she was speaking to them in their language and I applaud her.

The reason this is getting so much press is because of her RACE I will admit to that, because I see blacks, Latinos, Indians, and Arab HOME OWNERS and store owners do the same thing here in Greenville but it does not make it to the newspaper because most people don't care.

Posted on: 2014/9/17 0:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Trash on the ground is not equal to trash that comes out of someone's mouth. If this was a religious blog, I would remind you of verse when St. Paul said the body is the temple of the Holy Spirit.

Posted on: 2014/9/17 0:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
You're really arguing that littering and antisocial behavior has no link to socioeconomics (and thus, race)? Really? MLK Drive seems a lot more littered than 5th Avenue, seems to me. And I don't see many young swells taking their dates for a 3 am walk on Ocean.

Come on, man. Poor people litter more often. They commit more crime (putting aside the crimes of Wall Street). They get shot more often. They do more drugs. We can stop pretending now, okay?

I found this: Note the end of page 101 and 102

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=r ... economic%20debate&f=false

Quote:

The study could not distinguish who exactly did the littering across gender, age or on socio-economic basis. Three reasons identified as to why people litter included laziness, perception that litter is not an important environmental concern and excitement during special events like New Years Eve.

I personally would look at alcohol use that affects poor cognitive behavior in this situation, thus referring to the 'excitement' theory of the study.

Unfortunately society love's to stereotype and make ill-informed general judgements on individuals and situations.

This is exactly what's gotten us into this mess as a country - nothing is anyone's fault, that litter and trash got there on its own and what are you gonna do?

Here's the fact: those corners in that part of town are a disaster. It's young black people who hang on those corners. Those young black people are overwhelmingly poor. Draw your own conclusion, don't Google one.

Posted on: 2014/9/17 0:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/9/17 0:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
You're really arguing that littering and antisocial behavior has no link to socioeconomics (and thus, race)? Really? MLK Drive seems a lot more littered than 5th Avenue, seems to me. And I don't see many young swells taking their dates for a 3 am walk on Ocean.

Come on, man. Poor people litter more often. They commit more crime (putting aside the crimes of Wall Street). They get shot more often. They do more drugs. We can stop pretending now, okay?

I found this: Note the end of page 101 and 102

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=r ... economic%20debate&f=false

Quote:

The study could not distinguish who exactly did the littering across gender, age or on socio-economic basis. Three reasons identified as to why people litter included laziness, perception that litter is not an important environmental concern and excitement during special events like New Years Eve.

I personally would look at alcohol use that affects poor cognitive behavior in this situation, thus referring to the 'excitement' theory of the study.

Unfortunately society love's to stereotype and make ill-informed general judgements on individuals and situations.

Posted on: 2014/9/17 0:01
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
True enough. And just to ensure we're not being racist, check out the streets of Rome on a Saturday night. Filthy.

Posted on: 2014/9/16 23:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Some cultures accept littering as normal. It's pretty disgusting. Check out these photos from a beach in Puerto Rico.

http://raulcolon.net/the-best-beach-of-puerto-rico-on-a-holiday/

Posted on: 2014/9/16 23:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Most people here are giving her a pass because Hansson was yelling at young African-American males. But if she was yelling at young white children, we might think different...

First -- were these really young people?

...but no -- I think if some "young white child" was sitting in front of a liquor store at 3 am and tossing trash on the ground -- most would not think differently. They would likely think the kid's parents are F'd.

Posted on: 2014/9/16 23:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/9/16 23:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Most people here are giving her a pass because Hansson was yelling at young African-American males. But if she was yelling at young white children, we might think different. Hansson is also giving a message to the young people in that community that it is OK to explode with vulgar language, it will not affect your job. The double standard is not the garbage on the ground, it is the pass she is getting on her language.

Seriously are you mental ?

She came across these 'adults' regardless of race and supposedly caught them littering and believed they were accountable for all the mess in the neighborhood.
Note kids don't hang-out at that time of the night.

Once again, Yvonne you chose to be a provocateur and make it into a political agenda - You really need some counselling.

Posted on: 2014/9/16 23:43
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
Yvonne brought up the white children, not me. But if we're to bring poverty into this discussion, you can't escape the fact that more people of color live in poverty in our city than white people. Saying otherwise goes beyond PC into silliness.

Poverty, race or socioeconomic standing has nothing to do with littering or anti-social behavior.

The only argument / discussion is littering and the rant about littering

Posted on: 2014/9/16 23:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
She would be "out the door" in private employment if this caught the attention of her bosses.

So we can assume that you're unemployed or self-employed Yvonne !!!

Posted on: 2014/9/16 23:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Yvonne brought up the white children, not me. But if we're to bring poverty into this discussion, you can't escape the fact that more people of color live in poverty in our city than white people. Saying otherwise goes beyond PC into silliness.

Posted on: 2014/9/16 23:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
Most likely, young white children would not have been lounging about the street dumping their empties. So let's be real.

Many people would say that your post is racist. They'd say the issue is not race, it is poverty. Why bring race into it?

Posted on: 2014/9/16 23:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Most likely, young white children would not have been lounging about the street dumping their empties. So let's be real.

Posted on: 2014/9/16 23:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Most people here are giving her a pass because Hansson was yelling at young African-American males. But if she was yelling at young white children, we might think different. Hansson is also giving a message to the young people in that community that it is OK to explode with vulgar language, it will not affect your job. The double standard is not the garbage on the ground, it is the pass she is getting on her language.

Posted on: 2014/9/16 23:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

owlie wrote:
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
Nonsense, you feel "sorry" for her. You're shaking your head in a knowledgeable, world-weary way to cover up the fact that you don't have the balls to do/say what she did. Maybe her courage was lubricated by a little too much wine, but if more people simply said "nope, we don't put up with this crap around here", this would be a lot better place.

Excuse me???? Nonsense? Please don't tell me what you think I'm thinking or feeling?.you're so wrong?AGAIN!!! FYI, when someone accuses you of something you clearly know is false, they are accusing you of something that might be true of themselves. I don't have to cover up my feelings about this situation. I do feel sorry for her because she is clearly overwhelmed by the situation. I continually speak up (not rant) to people who drop their garbage. It continually falls on deaf ears. We've been over this same sort of issue for years with the the people who also can't be bothered to clean up after their dogs. They are self-centered, anti-social pigs. I feel sorry for all of us because, until more people speak up we will all have to put up with all the crap around here.

So, using your logic, you're afraid that you believed everything you were taught in school, and that your idealistic dreams were shattered. Because, see, that's what you accused Brook of.

Anyway, apparently we both yell at litterers. Good for us, and maybe we'll start a trend.

Posted on: 2014/9/16 23:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
She would be "out the door" in private employment if this caught the attention of her bosses.

Posted on: 2014/9/16 23:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nokoolaid wrote:
On the bright side, she does have the "moves like Jagger."

This is why the story is getting picked up by NYC press.

BTW -- Tina Turner was the Woman Who Taught Mick Jagger to move.

From a 1981 People Magazine...

The first time Tina Turner toured with the Rolling Stones in England, in 1966, "I didn't know who the Stones were," she recalls. "They were just these white boys and Mick was the one who was always standing in the wings watching us. He was a little shy of me, but finally we started having fun and I tried to teach him some dances, because he'd just stand still onstage with the tambourine. He'd try things like the Pony or some hip movements backstage and we'd all just laugh."

Posted on: 2014/9/16 22:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Should Jersey City employee be fired for expletive-laced rant on trash?

Vote here

Seems like the majority of folks who want this young lady fired also want Fulop fired.

How did this become a Fulop / Hansson thing - Her rant was not in a formal public meeting and I see it as a Litter Rage - similar to Road Rage.

Does she behave this way every day, does she have emotional issues ? I would say no (I have not seen a report on this sort of character trait coming from her)

What she might need is some counselling to better express her frustrations.

The logic of some on JClist would mean that whenever some-one got frustrated in traffic and tooted or yelled abuse to get traffic or a person to hurry up should have their job terminated - I'm sure many would be also upset if they were eating a meal outdoors and a cigarette smoker blew smoke into their face - I can only guess for Hansson, it finally got to her and she was sick of people 'sihitting' in her neighborhood.

Posted on: 2014/9/16 22:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
Not sure what was going on at City Hall a few hours a go, but apparently this story was big enough get NYC media to cross the river! The reporter asked me that question after I yelled Go Brooke in his live remote... I kept walk but said that I was working! Not sure if he heard me... so a neighborhood dispute is about to go national! I hope they didn't fire the kid!

Posted on: 2014/9/16 22:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/4 8:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
Nonsense, you feel "sorry" for her. You're shaking your head in a knowledgeable, world-weary way to cover up the fact that you don't have the balls to do/say what she did. Maybe her courage was lubricated by a little too much wine, but if more people simply said "nope, we don't put up with this crap around here", this would be a lot better place.

Excuse me???? Nonsense? Please don't tell me what you think I'm thinking or feeling?.you're so wrong?AGAIN!!! FYI, when someone accuses you of something you clearly know is false, they are accusing you of something that might be true of themselves. I don't have to cover up my feelings about this situation. I do feel sorry for her because she is clearly overwhelmed by the situation. I continually speak up (not rant) to people who drop their garbage. It continually falls on deaf ears. We've been over this same sort of issue for years with the the people who also can't be bothered to clean up after their dogs. They are self-centered, anti-social pigs. I feel sorry for all of us because, until more people speak up we will all have to put up with all the crap around here.

Posted on: 2014/9/16 20:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nokoolaid wrote:
It is disturbing that anyone would view this conduct as admirable. Profanity is the feeble mind attempting to express itself forcefully.

No one can argue, loud noise and litter late at night is a bad thing. Stipulated. This is not how a City Official should behave. Is this Mayor's staffer referring to some specific police brutality that she is privy to? Our media savvy Mayor must make a statement and take a position on this.

On the bright side, she does have the "moves like Jagger."

Are you saying you have never cursed in your life or that you are feeble minded?

Posted on: 2014/9/16 19:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
I just want to say how proud I am of Brooke Hansson regarding her courage and passion about litter in Jersey City. I want to applaud the mayor for having people on his staff who are still grounded enough to understand basic quality of life issues. I also want to applaud Brooke for having the strengths to confront this issue in one of Jersey City's toughest areas; Bostwick Avenue and King Drive.

She is not a self-righteous politician, but a woman standing in front of her own doorstep, being frustrated after having to wade through litter filled streets, then asking people to move from her empty doorstep so she can enter her home. It?s not right that she has to hurdle through broken glass, drug vials, and every form of litter - day after day. No Jersey City resident deserves that anywhere in our great city. Jersey City residents in every ward are proud people and deserve the best.

I am happy that she does not have the natural political instinct which allowed her to simply say what many of us think but do not have the courage to say publicly and passionately. She obviously cares deeply about her city and her neighborhood. And that?s what the story should really be about.

Shame on anyone who criticized her or said she should be fired, like Councilman at Large Danny Rivera. When was the last time he organized an anti-litter campaign in any part of Jersey City, particularly Bostwick Avenue? Some public elected officials are so busy trying to be ?politicians? that they forget what public service really is. Taxpaying residents want clean streets, Mr. Rivera. That is what will get you re-elected, not calling for people to be fired who are trying to get things done in our communities.

I am glad she said what she did, and the way she said it. My mother always told me ?the squeaky wheel gets the most oil." Well, all of Jersey City needs oil where litter is concerned and I applaud Ms. Hansson for speaking up.

Thank you.

JERSEY CITY CONCERNED CITIZEN

Posted on: 2014/9/16 18:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Should Jersey City employee be fired for expletive-laced rant on trash?

Vote here

Seems like the majority of folks who want this young lady fired also want Fulop fired.

Posted on: 2014/9/16 18:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TheJSQuare wrote:
"Stop the Drop" doesn't even make sense. You are supposed to drop your trash, in a trash can.

How about "DON'T TRASH JERSEY CITY". Short and to the point.

I was thinking exactly the same thing. It's like the "don't mess with Texas". You got to have a slogan you can easily repeat to people and that they can buy in to.

Posted on: 2014/9/16 17:31

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/1 21:19
From JSQ
Group:
Registered Users
"Stop the Drop" doesn't even make sense. You are supposed to drop your trash, in a trash can.

How about "DON'T TRASH JERSEY CITY". Short and to the point.

Posted on: 2014/9/16 17:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Stop the Drop sounds nice but I like the slogan "Littering Makes YOU look Stupid" or "Littering is Ignorance" or how about "Litterers make it Easier to Spot Stupid People".

Posted on: 2014/9/16 16:58

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017