Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
80 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 80

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Jersey City Planning Board Approves 21-story McGinley Square Tower
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/18 3:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:

- Segregating the students from non-student residential can make a lot of sense. Student housing may want common spaces that residents don't need; they will keep different hours; they may want different amenities, or the school might be responsible for maintaining certain amenities like a gym.

I'm not actually seeing any plans mentioned to separate the different groups? But if that's what they're doing it's also about student safety. Most colleges are pretty strict with security for dorms. And it's a Catholic school, so there are probably also lots of rules like limits on overnight guests that would be hard to enforce in a mixed-use building.

Posted on: 2014/8/26 15:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Is there any information on the revenue (if any) JC will gain from this complex? Did they get an abatement or pilot? Since it's a Catholic University/private developer partnership, with dorm/student housing, would they tax the normal renter property value percentage and not the student housing part? Obviously dropping a giant building on presently vacant property will add demand for city services so there would have to be some type of remittance to the city in any case, no?

Posted on: 2014/8/26 14:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/30 14:17
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Commingling of luxury rentals AND student housing?? That will be a disaster. I once lived in a semi-luxury apartment complex where many college kids also rented apartments. It was a mess! On weekends they would have school friends over and leave a mess of bottles and other detritus, garbage cans would be overflowing and the dumpster were equally messy. The administration tried to keep things in order, but I think they were also very accommodating of the students, as it represented a nice, steady stream of income for the complex. It was definitely detrimental to the everyday quality of life of non-students. During the Summer months, the apartment complex was so much more pleasant!

It's just going to be a bunch of recent graduates living in the "luxury" part anyway.

Posted on: 2014/8/26 14:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
While I understand the reaction against the "poor doors," and it's clear that in the NYC case they accomplished that with questionable means, I do think in some ways it can make sense. Namely:

- Segregating the students from non-student residential can make a lot of sense. Student housing may want common spaces that residents don't need; they will keep different hours; they may want different amenities, or the school might be responsible for maintaining certain amenities like a gym.

- For residential only, subsidized or middle-class residents may be willing to cut out certain luxuries in exchange for lower rents, such as doormen, elaborate lobbies, a gym, etc.

I'd also say that in both cases, what really matters is that the facilities are maintained equally. If the student or subsidized residents don't get repairs done on time, that's an issue far more serious than using a separate entrance.

Posted on: 2014/8/26 13:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jmiz wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
It was a mess!

The buyers / renters have been forewarned of the arrangement, though. The building will be ON St Peter's property.

edit: I'd be more concerned about the affordable housing mixed in with luxury. See: battle of the entrances in NYC on mixed buildings.

I first heard of these separate doors a month or two ago while listening to NPR. It was very surprising, and disappointing. It immediately reminded me of the old "separate, but equal" policies. Color me naive, but I will say that it really surprised that such a thing existed in modern NYC. Even more interested is that in the same NPR segment, some of the people relegated to using those doors, were perfectly fine with it. They felt it was a small (or, insignificant?) price to pay for the ability/access to apartments they would never have been able to afford otherwise. I don't know... the easy thing to say is "if they don't mind, why fuss?" but I think the principles involved are much bigger and I think it is a pretty shameful setup. I then started to read more about the subject and learned that, in some buildings, beneficiaries of affordable housing are also denied access to some of the common amenities of luxury buildings (exercise room is not available to them free of charge, etc.)

But, to my knowledge, none of this is actually going on here in JC.

Posted on: 2014/8/26 11:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
It was a mess!

The buyers / renters have been forewarned of the arrangement, though. The building will be ON St Peter's property.

edit: I'd be more concerned about the affordable housing mixed in with luxury. See: battle of the entrances in NYC on mixed buildings.

Posted on: 2014/8/26 11:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Commingling of luxury rentals AND student housing?? That will be a disaster. I once lived in a semi-luxury apartment complex where many college kids also rented apartments. It was a mess! On weekends they would have school friends over and leave a mess of bottles and other detritus, garbage cans would be overflowing and the dumpster were equally messy. The administration tried to keep things in order, but I think they were also very accommodating of the students, as it represented a nice, steady stream of income for the complex. It was definitely detrimental to the everyday quality of life of non-students. During the Summer months, the apartment complex was so much more pleasant!

Posted on: 2014/8/26 2:04

Jersey City Planning Board Approves 21-story McGinley Square Tower
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City Planning Board Approves 21-story McGinley Square Tower

By Steve Lubetkin | New Jersey
globest.com

ERSEY CITY, NJ?In a significant move for development projects in the western part of Jersey City, the city?s Planning Board has approved the 21-story McGinley Square project on Bergen Avenue in the Journal Square submarket. The project is being jointly developed by St. Peter?s University and a private developer.

?The project is a mixed use project that includes 595 residential units, of which there will be student housing, luxury rental, and affordable housing, Eugene T. Paolino of Genova Burns Giantomasi Webster, the project?s law firm, tells GlobeSt.com exclusively. ?We believe the project will be transformative of the area.?

The project also includes a movie theater, swimming pool, and upscale restaurants.

The site is currently being used as surface parking for St. Peter?s University. ?It moves the development clearly off the Gold Coast and further inland,? says Paolino. ?It is a significant and important area, not the least of which is because it is adjacent to the university.?

While the waterfront has proximity to ?spectacular? New York views and ?has been the sexy area of Jersey City for several decades,? says Paolino, for development to move further inland to Journal Square and The Beacon, which are within walking distance of McGinley Square, the enthusiastic support of the planning board was critical, Paolino says.

?That?s really a vote of confidence in the developer and the university, and the opportunities that this project represents,? he says.

The project will act as an anchor for additional development with Journal Square. ?It?s like a barbell, you have McGinley Square at one end of Bergen Avenue and Journal Square at the other end. I think they are going to complement each other and encourage each other?s growth,? says Paolino.

The only other significant project in New Jersey where a private developer and a university worked together is Rowan Boulevard in Glassboro, jointly developed by a private developer and Rowan University, says Paolino.

http://www.globest.com/news/12_930/ne ... -Square-Tower-349617.html

Posted on: 2014/8/25 23:27

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017