Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
144 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 144

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: JC in NY Times article on "Life After Brooklyn"
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/16 12:23
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

papadage wrote:
Grits and eggs and Lou's on Ocean?

I'll repeat. Narrow minded, provincial little fools.

This is the most interesting place I have been to in a long time. I prefer dtjc peeps to stay in their lane.

If you promise to keep your lovely residents in your lane, you've got yourself a deal.

don't you mean "peeps"...

Posted on: 2014/8/25 20:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

papadage wrote:

This is the most interesting place I have been to in a long time. I prefer dtjc peeps to stay in their lane.

If you promise to keep your lovely residents in your lane, you've got yourself a deal.

Posted on: 2014/8/25 19:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/4 19:30
Group:
Registered Users
Lived in DT for 10 years now (lived in Hudson County 20 years now!) and the neighbors next door just moved in from Brooklyn ... of course...told them how it was just 10 years ago (imagine 20-30!!) and some change is good and some is bad....I am looking to move to the Heights and I hope it does change, but not everything...

I enjoy exploring new areas and I encourage everyone to try and do the same...just the other day, was in the Heights and saw "Noodle Fan" on Central Avenue next to North Street...it was excellent Thai food and very cheap and...the chefs looked like an older couple....I enjoyed it... Park Tavern is great too and everyone should just kill an hour or two walking around "LIttle India". LIke "Cinco de Mayo" on Central Ave too.

Posted on: 2014/8/25 19:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/24 20:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
I have little reason to venture outside of DT. Most my friends live in DTJC, Hoboken, NYC, or the Jersey burbs. I knew someone that lived in Society Hill and used to visit from time to time but I'm sure that is considered fake JC.

I don't really like Indian food much so I don't see a reason to go to JSQ.

I used to get my car serviced on 440 and really liked Jollibee. I also have been to the Marshall's, Old Navy and Applebees on 440.

I have walked around the Heights a little. I didn't really find anything too appealing to me.

I wouldn't really venture into BL or Greenville outside of my car. Ocean Ave or MLK are not safe places. They just aren't.

It is way easier than getting on the PATH to walk to the myriad of things in DTJC and Hoboken that I find useful.

This board is littered with posts of people who think anything that appeals to people under 35 with money is terrible and should be stopped at all costs. There is a fear of "Hobokenization" or "Brooklynization" which is a total crock as both have areas filled with old timers paying rents too low to be logical, eating at old timey places, etc.

Are people in live in Manhattan snobs or elitists or judgmental if they don't hang out on Staten Island or in the Bronx? Or are they just realistic about what is close and convenient?

I agree with 07310. I root for the rest of the city. It will help my property value and taxes.

Shhh! Don't interrupt the circle jerk over how uncultured people in DTJC are! Don't you know the REAL people are located in the Heights and BL and we're all just yuppie phonies? White people wanting nice things within walking distance of them and wanting to be near people who share their interests is just so not cool these days! It's much better to go gentrify the other areas because they offer authentic experiences or something.

Posted on: 2014/8/25 19:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
I have little reason to venture outside of DT. Most my friends live in DTJC, Hoboken, NYC, or the Jersey burbs. I knew someone that lived in Society Hill and used to visit from time to time but I'm sure that is considered fake JC.

I used to get my car serviced on 440 and really liked Jollibee. I also have been to the Marshall's, Old Navy and Applebees on 440.

I have walked around the Heights a little. I didn't really find anything too appealing to me.

I wouldn't really venture into BL or Greenville outside of my car. Ocean Ave or MLK are not safe places. They just aren't.

It is way easier than getting on the PATH to walk to the myriad of things in DTJC and Hoboken that I find useful.

This board is littered with posts of people who think anything that appeals to people under 35 with money is terrible and should be stopped at all costs. There is a fear of "Hobokenization" or "Brooklynization" which is a total crock as both have areas filled with old timers paying rents too low to be logical, eating at old timey places, etc.

Are people in live in Manhattan snobs or elitists or judgmental if they don't hang out on Staten Island or in the Bronx? Or are they just realistic about what is close and convenient?

I agree with 07310. I root for the rest of the city. It will help my property value and taxes.

Wait, are you saying anyone over 35 is an "old-timer"?

Posted on: 2014/8/25 19:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

papadage wrote:

Posted on: 2014/8/25 19:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/8/25 18:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/8/25 17:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

papadage wrote:
If you go to Montelelone, just walk down two more blocks further West and have lunch or dinner at Spathagiri. Fantastic Indian, with a varied menu. I alternate between dosa and the various curries. And maybe stop at the sweet shop a bit further for some dhokla, a cornbread like savory cake made with chickpea flour and drizzled with ghee and chiles.

I was on jury duty today and decided to take your advice and visit Moneleone's. The cookies I bought were very good but I was underwhelmed by the selection of the cakes and pasteries. I guess I am accustomed to going to the larger Italian bakeries in Hoboken and Manhattan where the selection is better. What I bought was good but not worth a return trip when other bakeries are just as good and the selection is better.

Posted on: 2014/8/25 15:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Urbanista wrote:
The final thing I'll say is that getting on a bike makes the whole city so much smaller. I will admit that I used to think that certain areas, like the Heights, were so far and isolated based on reading message boards like this. Now that I'm biking more often, they don't feel far at all. I think that's a really powerful thing.

+1. My son has been biking every day this month from HP to Lincoln Park for track practice, and one of his buddies bikes to McNair from the Riverview Park area. That's real empowerment for kids, rather than being schlepped everywhere in the burbs by mommy and daddy.

Wishful_thinking hates the Heights, but you can't please everybody. There's a steady stream of gentrifiers like you heading up there. Someday he'll crap himself when he reads what the place became after he left.

Posted on: 2014/8/24 16:47

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/11 23:53
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

papadage wrote:
I get a much different vibe from a lot of downtownies. I know many that have never even tried anything outside the immediate area, and have never been outside in the open air in JC wwest of Division St.

Good for you for actually exploring a bit, but you are very atypical for a transplant.

It's perhaps not as atypical as people seem to think. I've only been in JC a couple years (and lived in Brooklyn prior to), but I've managed to explore beyond the downtown and will soon be moving from downtown to the Heights. I know several others who frequent events or establishments outside of DT.

I'm amazed that people think it's hard to get to Little India from downtown. For one thing, when it's a nice day it's a totally doable walk. On the way, there's also a public library branch that sometimes carries titles that aren't available at the branch on Jersey Ave. And the PATH is super easy. It's generally on time on the weekends and the ride to JSQ from Grove is only a few minutes. The walk from there is 5-10 minutes depending how far down Newark you're going.

The final thing I'll say is that getting on a bike makes the whole city so much smaller. I will admit that I used to think that certain areas, like the Heights, were so far and isolated based on reading message boards like this. Now that I'm biking more often, they don't feel far at all. I think that's a really powerful thing.

Posted on: 2014/8/24 14:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
I get a much different vibe from a lot of downtownies. I know many that have never even tried anything outside the immediate area, and have never been outside in the open air in JC wwest of Division St.

Good for you for actually exploring a bit, but you are very atypical for a transplant.

Posted on: 2014/8/23 21:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

papadage wrote:
"People just like us."

LOL..

Way to show narrow mindedness.

I still can't believe how many people I meet that have lived in DTJC for years now, and have never even visited Little India, or gotten a pastry from Monteleone.

Being a big fan of Mod Cup (and little India, the TuroTuro restaurants, Legal Beans BBQ for pig's head) I understand what they mean 100%. It's not people who look like you so much as people who look like the appreciate and enjoy what you do.

Posted on: 2014/8/23 20:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
If you go to Montelelone, just walk down two more blocks further West and have lunch or dinner at Spathagiri. Fantastic Indian, with a varied menu. I alternate between dosa and the various curries. And maybe stop at the sweet shop a bit further for some dhokla, a cornbread like savory cake made with chickpea flour and drizzled with ghee and chiles.

15 Fox Place is great. Next time you want a nice relaxing lowbrow night, try the New Park Tavern. Burgers, fries, killer corned beef, and cheap booze.

The talk about being afraid to venture out is laughable. I've lived in this town all my life. I'm a little guy, a geek, was an honors student, and have never been bothered once on the street. Now ask me if I ever got hit my any of the assholes that later go kicked out of my nice prep school.

Violence tends to be like on like. Black on black, low income on low income, gang member on gang member. If you have this much fear, go back to the burbs and make room for real city dwellers, not people afraid to venture more than five blocks from Grove.

Posted on: 2014/8/23 13:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

papadage wrote:
Monteleones has better pastries than the world famous Carlos in Hoboken, at better prices,

Sadly, that's actually a low bar, Carlos is ridiculously overrated. But I'm embarrassed to have never been to Monteleones and will now make it a point.

But I have been to 15 Fox Place twice.

Posted on: 2014/8/23 5:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
I rest my case.

Provincial yuppies that can't recognize a good thing when they see it. Little India is a jewel in the entire state, let alone the town. Better Indian food, and more varied styles than anywhere outside the actual subcontinent. That's not worth a literal two minute walk from the JSq PATH on a weekday?

Andreas Salumeria is a another gem, in the heights. Monteleones has better pastries than the world famous Carlos in Hoboken, at better prices, and their rumcake is literally more addictive than meth.

How many people have bothered to even go to Lincoln Park, which is beautiful and vibnrant. Burger and drinks at the Park Tavern? Grits and eggs and Lou's on Ocean? The Mozz Boss in Greenville?

Posted on: 2014/8/23 1:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
Also, whenever I drive through those areas I lock my doors because some of the people look like zombies.

Quote:

Conformist wrote:
Quote:

papadage wrote:
"People just like us."

LOL..

I still can't believe how many people I meet that have lived in DTJC for years now, and have never even visited Little India, or gotten a pastry from Monteleone.

As opposed to, you know, the people who spent their whole lives in the Heights and don't want non-locals moving in because they're "not like us".

Also, Monteleone's and Little India aren't in walking distance of a lot of downtown. And taking the PATH on the weekends is kind of a pain.

Posted on: 2014/8/23 0:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

SRhia wrote:
I agree with Conformist: I haven't visited those places yet, even though I've lived in downtown for 8+ years, and that's only because those places are not accessible easily with public transportation (we don't have a car).

I'm happy to take public transportation and have visited many places via Light Rail, and buses in JC over the years.

I'm totally confused, how is a 5 minute walk from the PATH to Newark & JFK not "close to public transportation"?

Posted on: 2014/8/22 22:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
I agree with Conformist: I haven't visited those places yet, even though I've lived in downtown for 8+ years, and that's only because those places are not accessible easily with public transportation (we don't have a car).

I'm happy to take public transportation and have visited many places via Light Rail, and buses in JC over the years.

Quote:

Conformist wrote:

Also, Monteleone's and Little India aren't in walking distance of a lot of downtown. And taking the PATH on the weekends is kind of a pain.

Posted on: 2014/8/22 20:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/30 14:17
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

papadage wrote:
"People just like us."

LOL..

As opposed to, you know, the people who spent their whole lives in the Heights and don't want non-locals moving in because they're "not like us".

Posted on: 2014/8/22 20:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
"People just like us."

LOL..

Posted on: 2014/8/22 20:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

maybeMoving wrote:
Pizza City is talked about in this week's NY Times Real Estate section. Namely by a couple who left Williamsburg for JC Heights:

"And so the Hustons bid farewell to Brooklyn. In October, they spent $550,000 on a 2,000-square-foot loft in a converted suitcase factory in Jersey City Heights, a section of Jersey City that overlooks Hoboken. ?We weren?t sure there was anyone like us in the neighborhood,? he said. Then a Brooklyn-style coffee shop arrived. ?The line down the street was all people like us. We could have been in Williamsburg. It was all, like, expats.?"

I love to see this kind of stuff but I know that wanting my property value to rise and getting Brooklyn type amenities in JC is anathema on this board so go ahead and get out your pitchforks.

Link: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/24/rea ... v=real-estate-left-region

Edit for shorter link: http://nyti.ms/1sb40tH

I don't think people downtown care if the Heights gets any amenities. It's the old timers in the Heights who are happy to have a cheap place to live and want to keep it exactly as it is.
I think rising RE values anywhere out side of downtown is good for JC. Rising values in other neighborhoods will push downtown RE values higher.

Posted on: 2014/8/22 17:24

JC in NY Times article on "Life After Brooklyn"
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/24 20:34
Group:
Registered Users
Pizza City is talked about in this week's NY Times Real Estate section. Namely by a couple who left Williamsburg for JC Heights:

"And so the Hustons bid farewell to Brooklyn. In October, they spent $550,000 on a 2,000-square-foot loft in a converted suitcase factory in Jersey City Heights, a section of Jersey City that overlooks Hoboken. ?We weren?t sure there was anyone like us in the neighborhood,? he said. Then a Brooklyn-style coffee shop arrived. ?The line down the street was all people like us. We could have been in Williamsburg. It was all, like, expats.?"

I love to see this kind of stuff but I know that wanting my property value to rise and getting Brooklyn type amenities in JC is anathema on this board so go ahead and get out your pitchforks.

Link: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/24/rea ... v=real-estate-left-region

Edit for shorter link: http://nyti.ms/1sb40tH

Posted on: 2014/8/22 17:08

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact