Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
106 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 106

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: This sums up DTJC
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

07310 wrote:
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:
Just a definitional question -- how long does someone have to have lived in JC to be considered an older timer in the context of this discussion?

Old Timer status is not just living in JC for any length of time. You have certain criteria which helps you qualify for Old Timer Status.
Living in an old house with a leaky roof and sewers backing up every time it rains +2.
Having a dive bar on your block +2.
Having the patrons of the dive bar trying to break into your house or car at 3 AM +5.
Paying RE taxes on a 1988 assessment on your house while everyone else is paying taxes on a current assessment +5.
Whining about how everyone, but not you, should pay more in taxes to fix the sewers on your block and cover the budget gap +8.

There are more but I haven't thought of them yet.

I'd like to know what one horse town you came from. Obviously you don't get around town much or you've rented from some dud places and lived in some pretty crappy neighborhoods. Some nice properties out there maybe even affordable.

The "One Horse town" I came from is NYC and if NYC is a one horse town JC must be the horses ass. Since you are a product of JC what does that make you?

The neighborhoods I lived in were the Upper West Side and Chelsea if you think these are crappy neighborhoods I can imagine what you think of your own neighborhood.

Posted on: 2014/9/12 14:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

elsquid wrote:
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
I agree with your assessment. Been here 30+ years. A few of the original neighbors are still here and are enjoying the transformation, as am I. Funny, I was just thinking how much my old neighbors would like the Newark Avenue closing and the whole idea of outdoor eating, farmers' market, Key Food (not C-Town), etc. ...

This is an interesting point. As a bicycling advocate, I support various Complete Streets measures to get people out walking, biking, and just living in our public spaces, instead of going everywhere in cars, and people call these ideas radical experiments; in fact, that's what people did in every city for hundreds of years before the cars completely took over.

When I moved into Hamilton Park 17.5 years ago, the elderly Italian widows who made up most of my block still got their produce from a leather-lunged guy who pushed a gigantic wooden pushcart right down the middle of neighborhood streets. If he tried that even 3 years ago he would have been run over. Today he might be accepted again, though he might have to add artisanal tacos to his offerings.

Artisanal tacos would be easy to swing on a push cart!
Try the artisanal cocktails nonsense happening all over Brooklyn. Every time I hear the words "artisanal", "mixologist" and the like, I want to puke and die. I get that gentrification is (mostly) good, that the new urbanism ideals are really great, and that it is both interesting and positive that younger generations are rediscovering the positives and pluses of older, more traditional, things, but the pretentiousness of it all is super annoying. I considered moving to Brooklyn for a while, and the hipster culture, and self-important attitudes, put the kibosh on that idea. Jersey City is great for many reason, one of them being that we don't (yet) take ourselves too seriously.

Posted on: 2014/9/11 16:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/8/30 8:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
I agree with your assessment. Been here 30+ years. A few of the original neighbors are still here and are enjoying the transformation, as am I. Funny, I was just thinking how much my old neighbors would like the Newark Avenue closing and the whole idea of outdoor eating, farmers' market, Key Food (not C-Town), etc. ...

This is an interesting point. As a bicycling advocate, I support various Complete Streets measures to get people out walking, biking, and just living in our public spaces, instead of going everywhere in cars, and people call these ideas radical experiments; in fact, that's what people did in every city for hundreds of years before the cars completely took over.

When I moved into Hamilton Park 17.5 years ago, the elderly Italian widows who made up most of my block still got their produce from a leather-lunged guy who pushed a gigantic wooden pushcart right down the middle of neighborhood streets. If he tried that even 3 years ago he would have been run over. Today he might be accepted again, though he might have to add artisanal tacos to his offerings.

Posted on: 2014/9/11 15:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/5 2:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Yvonne = 1,000,000 pts (because, Yvonne.)

Quote:

07310 wrote:
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:
Just a definitional question -- how long does someone have to have lived in JC to be considered an older timer in the context of this discussion?

Old Timer status is not just living in JC for any length of time. You have certain criteria which helps you qualify for Old Timer Status.
Living in an old house with a leaky roof and sewers backing up every time it rains +2.
Having the patrons of the dive bar trying to break into your house or car at 3 AM +5.
Paying RE taxes on a 1988 assessment on your house while everyone else is paying taxes on a current assessment +5.
Whining about how everyone, but not you, should pay more in taxes to fix the sewers on your block and cover the budget gap +8.

Posted on: 2014/9/11 13:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

07310 wrote:
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:

I'd like to know what one horse town you came from. Obviously you don't get around town much or you've rented from some dud places and lived in some pretty crappy neighborhoods. Some nice properties out there maybe even affordable.

Posted on: 2014/9/11 13:12
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/19 0:07
From Pizza City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

07310 wrote:
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:

LOL!!

Posted on: 2014/9/5 22:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
The best part is that although this story is complete parody there are some on this site who seem to think they are aging backwards. Don't worry, your time is going to come...

Posted on: 2014/9/5 20:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
Voting for Healy + 10

Complaining about any new business or innovation in the city supported by newcomers + 15

Posted on: 2014/9/5 20:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

papadage wrote:
Not being a condescending douche is my big one.

yeah, pretty much this.

Posted on: 2014/8/26 17:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
it's having the word Tiffany on your daughter's birth certificate instead of her bridal registry.

Posted on: 2014/8/26 12:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
"It all started when a community-minded entrepreneur by the name of Jackson Klemmer had the innovative idea to replace every single one of the area?s longtime residents with affluent twentysomethings."
http://www.clickhole.com/article/one- ... aved-struggling-neigh-746

ha. but it sums up Hoboken better.

It sounds more like education to me.

Posted on: 2014/8/26 12:18
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

07310 wrote:
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:

Come on... some basic ones!
Complaining about parking +3
Complaining about abatements that "unjustly" raise your taxes +7
Having to fix your front sidewalk, even though you have no legal rights to use it as you please +5

Posted on: 2014/8/25 23:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
Not being a condescending douche is my big one.

Posted on: 2014/8/25 21:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:

Posted on: 2014/8/25 21:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/8/25 19:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
Even in DTJC and Hoboken there are plenty of "old timers". Even in affluent parts of Manhattan there are projects, including one directly across from Lincoln Center. It's a total exaggeration meant to draw sympathy to a fake problem. And even if we pretend it's real, yes let me shed a tear for people taking several hundred thousand dollars to the burbs, what will become of them? Perhaps a McMansion on a cul-de-sac? Won't someone stand up for those locked behind their white picket fences?

Posted on: 2014/8/25 18:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Sounds good to me. Sadly, it isn't true enough.

Posted on: 2014/8/24 2:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jcdd wrote:
I still see plenty of old-timers and older folks in DTJC that are property owners. I know a couple down thes treet in their late 80s that have lived here all of their lives and are still in their house. I've also met some old-timers/natives who moved out to "greener" pastures once they realized how much $$ they could get for their house. They really didn't want to stay here anyway and the boost in property value gave them the means to get out.

I agree with your assessment. Been here 30+ years. A few of the original neighbors are still here and are enjoying the transformation, as am I. Funny, I was just thinking how much my old neighbors would like the Newark Avenue closing and the whole idea of outdoor eating, farmers' market, Key Food (not C-Town), etc. As you wrote, those who left, were ready and never expected their houses to bring them such a financial reward.

Posted on: 2014/8/23 22:08

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/12 3:28
Group:
Registered Users
I don't know why you would say NOT the heights. The gentrification process has been in motion since I moved here 4 years ago from Brooklyn. I bunkered down in the Western Slopeof the Heights and at least a dozen friends sold in Brooklyn $$$ and followed here buying on the low prices with future upswing. And with plenty of development, renovations and new friendly faces. I have all good things to say about JC. My caveat is shit can happen anywhere at any time.

Posted on: 2014/8/23 21:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
"It all started when a community-minded entrepreneur by the name of Jackson Klemmer had the innovative idea to replace every single one of the area?s longtime residents with affluent twentysomethings."

Lolz

But totally inaccurate about why places gentrify. Affluent xx-somethings move to neighborhoods because of what the area has to offer - access to the city center, the potential for a critical mass of things to do, culture. Which is why no-one will be able to gentrify the Heights, the potential is simply not here.

Posted on: 2014/8/23 19:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
I grew up in NYC the old Mayor Koch New York City where poor people still lived in Manhattan in the tenements.

This sounds like the New York Metro Area. I went to a Broadway show last night and some areas of NYC are unrecognizable. In 10 years Hudson county will resemble this.

Posted on: 2014/8/22 13:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/3 1:43
Group:
Banned
I still see plenty of old-timers and older folks in DTJC that are property owners. I know a couple down thes treet in their late 80s that have lived here all of their lives and are still in their house. I've also met some old-timers/natives who moved out to "greener" pastures once they realized how much $$ they could get for their house. They really didn't want to stay here anyway and the boost in property value gave them the means to get out.

Posted on: 2014/8/22 13:45

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/18 11:36
Group:
Registered Users
yeah that sounds a lot more like hoboken to me.

Posted on: 2014/8/22 12:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:

ha. but it sums up Hoboken better.

Posted on: 2014/8/21 21:10

This sums up DTJC
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/8/21 20:42

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017