Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
126 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 126

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

Re: How can JC become the best mid-sized city in the US?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
People here do not want an honest discussion, they want to throw mud and attack instead. If this forum is how to make this the best mid size city then address the issues, you don't pretend graffiti does not exist, visitors have a limited parking or they are assaulted by the noise in the air. I have been living in JC longer than some of you have been alive and I have seen the changes in JC, some positive and other negative. People here want to pretend the negative does not exist. If JC collected information from visitors I am sure they would say something similar to my comments. So why doesn't the city collect and publish some honest data from people who do visit the city?

I don't agree that people don't want an honest discussion - I think the real problem is that there is no agreement on what would make JC a better/the best mid-sized city; I don't even think there is agreement on what defines a great mid-sized city.

For instance - in assuming that visitors are offended by grafitti, noise, and the lack of parking, you are defining a particular urban experience. But is a city necessarily defined by how well it meets the expectations of suburbanites? Noise, the density, some degree of "grittiness", the desiribility of leaving your car behind - these go with older, former industrial cities in the Northeast USA.

Posted on: 2014/8/20 17:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Then can you explain the thanks that was given to Cultural Affairs at the end of the event which I found ironic? It really doesn't matter if they also play at weddings, they were very talented but was playing to an empty place.

Posted on: 2014/8/20 15:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Yesterday I was at Liberty State Park. There was an musical event, if this city is going to be the best mid size city then perhaps the city can do a better job advertising events. After all, the city hired an assistant to cultural affairs. I saw some talented people there but the place was empty. This the group that was playing. I felt sorry they were playing to a small crowd and it was by chance I was there. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008 ... TF8&qid=1408547429&sr=8-1

Ha ha ha! Trusol is a wedding band. I am sure that was a major event. If it is any consolation, Yvonne, not even LSP seems to maintain a calendar of events (mind you, this is a STATE park, not a city park) and I should point out that even the website of Trusol doesn't have en entry in their calendar of events for yesterday. Maybe the event wasn't as important as you think?

Posted on: 2014/8/20 15:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Yesterday I was at Liberty State Park. There was an musical event, if this city is going to be the best mid size city then perhaps the city can do a better job advertising events. After all, the city hired an assistant to cultural affairs. I saw some talented people there but the place was empty. This the group that was playing. I felt sorry they were playing to a small crowd and it was by chance I was there. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008 ... TF8&qid=1408547429&sr=8-1

Posted on: 2014/8/20 15:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
People here do not want an honest discussion, they want to throw mud and attack instead. If this forum is how to make this the best mid size city then address the issues, you don't pretend graffiti does not exist, visitors have a limited parking or they are assaulted by the noise in the air. I have been living in JC longer than some of you have been alive and I have seen the changes in JC, some positive and other negative. People here want to pretend the negative does not exist. If JC collected information from visitors I am sure they would say something similar to my comments. So why doesn't the city collect and publish some honest data from people who do visit the city?

The only negative thing on this board that people want to pretend does not exist is YOU. You have NEVER once come on this board saying anything positive. You suck the life forces out of everything.

Please find your perfect little town and move there.

This seems unduly harsh, and I'm not exactly one to cry "mean!" often. The thread is about what JC could do to improve, so any suggestions will have some inherent negativity to them. Her comments were not unreasonable even if you disagree with her.

Posted on: 2014/8/19 15:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

The only negative thing on this board that people want to pretend does not exist is YOU. You have NEVER once come on this board saying anything positive. You suck the life forces out of everything.

Please find your perfect little town and move there.

Posted on: 2014/8/19 0:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/7 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
Well looks like NYC is benefiting well from the from decision to do away with stop and frisk. Mayor Fulop, you should learn something from this.

21 Hurt, 2 Killed in Weekend Gun Violence in NYC

EXCLUSIVE: NYPD stop-and-frisks drop 99% in Brooklyn, while shootings increase in Brownsville, East New York

Posted on: 2014/8/18 18:07
ಠ_ಠ

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Manhattan has even more limited parking than DTJC so not exactly sure parking makes a great city...

Posted on: 2014/8/18 14:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
But you are still missing the point, even in the best parts of JC, you see graffiti, lack of parking and hear constant helicopters noise. My message, I noticed these things lacking in Philly but not JC. If the forum is on to make JC the best mid size city, shouldn't the city address these issues?

Posted on: 2014/8/18 13:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
I don't want to join the Yvonne-bating, but you're way off this time, madam. I spend a lot of time in Philly (my daughter lives in Northern Liberties), and a LOT of it is filthy, full of vacant lots and seriously sketchy. You visited some of the nicer parts (and Fishtown! Yvonne is a closet hipster). Come to North Philly with me and watch people literally throw bags of trash into the empty lots because the garbage collection is so unreliabale. JC is so much smaller that it's not a valid comparison, but I think we're doing better than Philly is.

Posted on: 2014/8/18 13:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/8/18 12:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
WHY would anyone with the issues Yvonne has with this city remain here when they no longer work here and have no reason to stay here? I'll tell you why. It's because, as they say, misery LOVES company and Yvonne is not happy unless she is crying doom and gloom about where she lives because it is the only way she can get attention. PLEASE, Yvonne, pack your tent and GO.

Its a mental health issue that is going untreated for far too long

Posted on: 2014/8/18 3:55
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/19 0:07
From Pizza City
Group:
Registered Users
Yvonne,
I don't think you've visited too many neighborhoods in Philly. I've never felt scared in Pizza City (Jersey City for those of you who haven't hear our new name, compliments of Seagull) but I sure have felt scared in Philly.
Tourists don't expect to bring cars to a city that they're visiting, they only bring cars when there's not enough good public transportation. Jersey City has good public transportation.
Why don't you chillax and enjoy a slice of pizza.

Posted on: 2014/8/18 2:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
WHY would anyone with the issues Yvonne has with this city remain here when they no longer work here and have no reason to stay here? I'll tell you why. It's because, as they say, misery LOVES company and Yvonne is not happy unless she is crying doom and gloom about where she lives because it is the only way she can get attention. PLEASE, Yvonne, pack your tent and GO.

Posted on: 2014/8/18 1:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I spend most of today in Philly and this is what I saw:
No graffiti, plenty of parks, no air planes or helicopters above citizen heads, mass transit plus plenty of parking for cars. Granted Philly is a city of 4 million people and not a mid size city but traffic is able to move unlike JC. The lack of graffiti and the abundance of parks and museums make the place very inviting. It also has the Reading Terminal as an unique place to eat. However, I will say our Churches, especially the Catholic Churches in JC are just as attractive as the churches in Philly. If the mayor plans on rebranding the city then he should not forget our places of worship.

As usual, making up "facts" to bolster your deluded claims. Let's see:

Philadelphia and helicopter noises: See Click Fix reports of helicopter noise

BTW, Philadelphia police conducts daily helicopter patrols. Their crime levels makes this a necessity.

Philadelphia population: 1.5 million. Not the 4 million you claim.

Traffic?? Are you SERIOUSLY claiming they are not affected by traffic??? You are CRAZY and IGNORANT. Any Philadelphia resident will tell you that traffic is AWFUL, particularly during rush hour. And, within the city core, it can slow down to a crawl at all kinds of hours. At night, traffic is very heavy in the entertainment/restaurant areas (old city, city center, etc).

Of course, take your one day in Philly (a weekend day at that!) and extrapolate to all kinds of crazy conclusions.

I feel sorry for anyone who must use inappropriate language to get their point across, I would never call anyone CRAZY and IGNORANT, I was raised better than that. However, when I looked up the stats on Philly it was listed as 4 million for the greater Philly. The city itself is 1.5 million. There was no helicopter noise but as soon as I returned to JC, guess what, non-stop helicopter noise which destroys the beauty of Liberty State Park and is a problem in many parts of JC. Why would a person spend their money here if they cannot park their car in the street? Are there artistic places or parks besides Liberty State Park? Besides what is wrong with speaking the truth, Liberty State Park is beautiful but it is noisy with the helicopters flying over constantly. Unless you are deaf, why would you want to spend a great deal of time there?

Posted on: 2014/8/18 0:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

getz011 wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

jcdd wrote:
DevilsAdvocate: Don't assume. I am very familiar with Manhattan. My husband lived in a beautiful brownstone on the UWS 2 blocks from the park for over 15 years. We have both worked in Manhattan for a very long time. I know there are great neighborhoods. We have some fantastically wealthy family members that live in those most excellent neighborhoods. That being said, I no longer want to live there. Not everyone is as enamored with Manhattan as you may be. And for the record, I don't find the people in NYC to be particularly any more interesting than other areas of this world.

I don't even know what to say to this. There are objectively more people that are extremely accomplished in Manhattan than here. In addition to the numerous other advantages. There is just very little that JC does better without factoring money into the equation.

There are objectively more talented people than in JC in the following cities:

- Sofia, Bulgaria
- Ankara, Turkey
- Bratislava, Slovakia
- Novi Sad, Serbia
- Kuwait City
- Riga, Latvia

So move there.

For the record, I've lived in the East Village as well as JC. I prefer JC for exactly the reasons jcdd laid out. Looking forward to learning why I'm wrong.

Man, there are some incredibly self-deluding folks on here. And if I could live in Riga and easily commute to Manhattan then obviously I'd choose that over JC (assuming I could get a great rowhome for a reasonable price there).

You guys that claim JC >>>> Manhattan remind me of the guy explaining to everyone why their Honda Accord is so much better than an [insert luxury car better than an Accord in every way] regardless of the money involved.

Posted on: 2014/8/17 22:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
No graffiti, plenty of parks, no air planes or helicopters above citizen heads, mass transit plus plenty of parking for cars. Granted Philly is a city of 4 million people and not a mid size city but traffic is able to move unlike JC. The lack of graffiti and the abundance of parks and museums make the place very inviting. It also has the Reading Terminal as an unique place to eat. However, I will say our Churches, especially the Catholic Churches in JC are just as attractive as the churches in Philly. If the mayor plans on rebranding the city then he should not forget our places of worship.

As usual, making up "facts" to bolster your deluded claims. Let's see:

Philadelphia and helicopter noises: See Click Fix reports of helicopter noise

BTW, Philadelphia police conducts daily helicopter patrols. Their crime levels makes this a necessity.

Philadelphia population: 1.5 million. Not the 4 million you claim.

Traffic?? Are you SERIOUSLY claiming they are not affected by traffic??? You are CRAZY and IGNORANT. Any Philadelphia resident will tell you that traffic is AWFUL, particularly during rush hour. And, within the city core, it can slow down to a crawl at all kinds of hours. At night, traffic is very heavy in the entertainment/restaurant areas (old city, city center, etc).

Of course, take your one day in Philly (a weekend day at that!) and extrapolate to all kinds of crazy conclusions.

Posted on: 2014/8/17 22:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
People visit cities based on amenities but I agree you have a point. I pointed out JC needs to bring more parking because few people will visit areas if they cannot bring their cars. I know I am in a minority on this point on jclist, but that is a fact. The graffiti sends a wrong message to visitors, I never felt afraid in Philly even in the poor areas due to the lack of graffiti. Plus JC must do something about the helicopters, I have left Liberty State Park early due to this activity. I know Menendez mentioned this concerning tourist helicopters but that doesn't cover corporate helicopters that are expanding in our area.

Posted on: 2014/8/17 16:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
It is interesting that the 3 photos on abandon property is lacking graffiti in Philly something that common in JC. Granted the video did show graffiti on public areas. I was in the Museum area, German Town, a poor area, and Fish Town another poor area, and I did not see graffiti hear helicopter or airplanes, saw public transportation that moved and plenty of areas for cars to park. The streets on all three areas had an abundance of people. Now let's compare JC, graffiti all over the place including the best areas including private homes. Poor public transportation and little parking for cars. Helicopters and airplanes buzzing overhead on a daily basis including Liberty State Park which would be a drawing card for visitors. I suggest my "attackers" visit Philly and see what I saw. If you want JC to be the best mid-sized city it should have some of the qualities that make people visit Philly. Philly's parks are outstanding.

If you are going to compare cities Philly is a poor choice. The population of Philly is 1.5 M vs JC 250k you should be touring cities with equivalent populations such as Buffalo NY or Fort Wayne IN or St Petersburg FL.

Posted on: 2014/8/17 15:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
It is interesting that the 3 photos on abandon property is lacking graffiti in Philly something that common in JC. Granted the video did show graffiti on public areas. I was in the Museum area, German Town, a poor area, and Fish Town another poor area, and I did not see graffiti hear helicopter or airplanes, saw public transportation that moved and plenty of areas for cars to park. The streets on all three areas had an abundance of people. Now let's compare JC, graffiti all over the place including the best areas including private homes. Poor public transportation and little parking for cars. Helicopters and airplanes buzzing overhead on a daily basis including Liberty State Park which would be a drawing card for visitors. I suggest my "attackers" visit Philly and see what I saw. If you want JC to be the best mid-sized city it should have some of the qualities that make people visit Philly. Philly's parks are outstanding.

Posted on: 2014/8/17 14:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

GOOD LORD WOMAN! You have great things to say about every place but where you live. Why do you stay? And don't say it's because you want to. That means you love being miserable. For the past 40 years you've been crying the sky is falling and still nobody listens. For all your information, history and brilliance, you can't get yourself elected. Please, find your Utopia and enjoy your golden years with your family and let the rest of us haggle over what we should or should not be doing.

Posted on: 2014/8/17 13:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
I know Philadelphia very well, and outside of Center City it's awful except for some oases that closely surround some of the universities.

Posted on: 2014/8/17 12:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

http://abandonedphiladelphia.com/

Posted on: 2014/8/17 12:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/8/17 2:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Jesus, I hope we DON'T try to become a borough of NY or emulate NY in anyway ... when did NY ever win a 'BEST OF' in anything !

We should concentrate and be our own city they others will come over, study and try to emulate in their cities !

Obviously we wouldn't want to be an actual borough of NYC which wouldn't be possible (not in the same state) or desirable (don't want to pay NYC income tax, be subject to their gun laws or be run by their ultra-lib mayor). But people who are denying that 1. Manhattan is more desirable, and 2. that JC is ONLY on the map because of proximity to Manhattan are deluding themselves. But of course there is a lot we can do to make ourselves a better town compared to places like Brooklyn, Hoboken, Queens, etc. But I don't think anyone is going to start comparing us to say, Albany, NY, are they?

Who is this "we" you seem to represent? I'd love to have DeBlasio have the yacht owners at the WFC and the crews of the Staten Island Ferries invade DTJC and claim it for New York City - boro, colony, commonwealth, whatev. Kind of like Mrs. Miniver in reverse. Lower real estate taxes, untaxed pensions - none of us are getting any younger- and a far more professional police force sounds good to me and instate tuition to SUNY and CUNY.

Posted on: 2014/8/17 1:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/14 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

jcdd wrote:
DevilsAdvocate: Don't assume. I am very familiar with Manhattan. My husband lived in a beautiful brownstone on the UWS 2 blocks from the park for over 15 years. We have both worked in Manhattan for a very long time. I know there are great neighborhoods. We have some fantastically wealthy family members that live in those most excellent neighborhoods. That being said, I no longer want to live there. Not everyone is as enamored with Manhattan as you may be. And for the record, I don't find the people in NYC to be particularly any more interesting than other areas of this world.

I don't even know what to say to this. There are objectively more people that are extremely accomplished in Manhattan than here. In addition to the numerous other advantages. There is just very little that JC does better without factoring money into the equation.

There are objectively more talented people than in JC in the following cities:

- Sofia, Bulgaria
- Ankara, Turkey
- Bratislava, Slovakia
- Novi Sad, Serbia
- Kuwait City
- Riga, Latvia

So move there.

For the record, I've lived in the East Village as well as JC. I prefer JC for exactly the reasons jcdd laid out. Looking forward to learning why I'm wrong.

Posted on: 2014/8/17 1:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcdd wrote:

Posted on: 2014/8/16 23:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/3 1:43
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2014/8/16 23:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Jesus, I hope we DON'T try to become a borough of NY or emulate NY in anyway ... when did NY ever win a 'BEST OF' in anything !

We should concentrate and be our own city they others will come over, study and try to emulate in their cities !

Obviously we wouldn't want to be an actual borough of NYC which wouldn't be possible (not in the same state) or desirable (don't want to pay NYC income tax, be subject to their gun laws or be run by their ultra-lib mayor). But people who are denying that 1. Manhattan is more desirable, and 2. that JC is ONLY on the map because of proximity to Manhattan are deluding themselves. But of course there is a lot we can do to make ourselves a better town compared to places like Brooklyn, Hoboken, Queens, etc. But I don't think anyone is going to start comparing us to say, Albany, NY, are they?

Posted on: 2014/8/16 22:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcdd wrote:
Speak for yourself, Devils advocate. Perhaps I would have liked to move to Manhattan in my early 20s, but never now. Now, with a family, living in New York City is simply too much of a hassle and doesn't hold the allure any longer. I can't stand how it takes forever to get off the island, particularly if you want to travel during the holidays. I personally no longer like how crowded it is and how transient it feels.
I like living in Jersey City because I can still commute to Manhattan for work and play but specifically do not have to live there. Drop me a billion dollars and I most certainly will not be moving to Manhattan. That being said, without the financial constraints of work, I'd probably be heading out of JC to a carribean island!

I get the impression you haven't lived much in Manhattan. Plenty of places (the UWS between Riverside and Central Park comes to mind) have lower density and fantastic residential neighborhoods. So I guess there are some locals that have no idea of what living in good Manhattan neighborhoods are like. Everyone else would move to Manhattan.

Posted on: 2014/8/16 22:47

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017