Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
125 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 125

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 »

Re: How can JC become the best mid-sized city in the US?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
I guess, we like to ignore the fact, that Americans are from immigrants who were very poor and considered criminals. A little story, when building the first Catholic Church in JC, the criminal element from Sing Sing prison, gave donations. The criminal elements then was Irish immigrants. Later, Italians and Jews immigrants also became criminal elements.

Posted on: 2014/8/3 17:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Does gentrification reduce crime when the poor are forced out ?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-ro ... will-reduc_b_4296151.html

Of course, and it is stupid to suggest otherwise. Visit gentrified neighborhoods before and after and ignore dumb articles from liberal rags.

I do agree with the article in that being close to poor people is generally bad.

Posted on: 2014/8/3 17:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
If you attend the board meetings, as you know public comments are not aired, you will hear teachers from schools in Greenville and elsewhere complaining their have no books or their schools have no heat. The money is being earmarked downtown, it is not being spread around evenly. I was shocked to hear these comments.

Posted on: 2014/8/3 16:13

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/10 18:02
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Agreed--but not only parental involvement in their children's education, but in their entire upbringing.

Posted on: 2014/8/3 15:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HelenaJC wrote:
Great public schools. My friends/colleagues with children won't even consider moving to JC because the schools have such a terrible reputation.

Once we have a family, my husband and I will leave JC too. Unless there's a big improvement in the next 5 years....

This is a huge problem for the city.

This will never succeed unless parents get involved with their children's education. It's not a money issue, because JC spends about 25% more per child than the state average.

Posted on: 2014/8/3 15:25

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/10 18:02
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Great public schools. My friends/colleagues with children won't even consider moving to JC because the schools have such a terrible reputation.

Once we have a family, my husband and I will leave JC too. Unless there's a big improvement in the next 5 years....

This is a huge problem for the city.

Posted on: 2014/8/3 15:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Does gentrification reduce crime when the poor are forced out ?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-ro ... will-reduc_b_4296151.html

Posted on: 2014/8/3 12:27
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Welcome to devilsadvocate's vision of JC:

Resized Image

Whaaaaah, nicer neighborhoods are more expensive and then I can't live in them! So let us revisit the original question: how do we make JC the best mid-sized city? Yes, that means gentrification. Why would you think that anyone has a right to live in a more expensive place than they can afford?

Proposals of bringing back the industries that are characteristic of places like Gary, Indiana (one of the worst cities in the country) are ultimately silly and counter to the originally stated goal.

Posted on: 2014/8/3 4:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
I think, given that so much space has been given over to the discussion of parking, the prospect of Jersey City becoming a tolerable mid-size city, let alone the best, mid-size city, is zilch.

Yvonne, you and the others can relish your triumph that JC has is forever mired in suburban, middle-American concerns such as what to do with your cars...

Me - I'm happy to live close enough to the greatest city in the world - Manhattan - so as to avoid Jersey City (short, of course, of living here LOL).

+1 - Given the cost of living in JC, the concern about parking, the immenent bursting at the seams of the PATH and the crapizoid schools one would expect more people to be heading for the burbs. Instead we have an enormous number of apartments being constructed (5000 in dtjc, I read somewhere + JSQ) and a negligible vacancy rate, which leads me to believe that only a handful of people are mired in the JC as a suburb concept.

Posted on: 2014/8/2 14:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Welcome to devilsadvocate's vision of JC:

Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/8/2 8:47
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
I'd like more manufacturing industries / corporations being lured into JC to increase job opportunities for blue collar and semi-skilled employees - I believe these are the types of growth developments worthy of tax abatements as it employs and gives hope to struggling (welfare) families with limited prospects and opportunities - In return, I believe it reduces crime, domestic violence and anti-social behavior in our community.

What a horrible idea. We want the blue collars to leave and be replaced by better people. We need more office towers with top investment banks, private equity funds, law firms, corporate home offices, etc. so that THOSE people continue to move in and make JC a better place. The rest can go to Newark where they belong.

Posted on: 2014/8/2 5:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
I'd like more manufacturing industries / corporations being lured into JC to increase job opportunities for blue collar and semi-skilled employees - I believe these are the types of growth developments worthy of tax abatements as it employs and gives hope to struggling (welfare) families with limited prospects and opportunities - In return, I believe it reduces crime, domestic violence and anti-social behavior in our community.

Posted on: 2014/8/2 1:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I think, given that so much space has been given over to the discussion of parking, the prospect of Jersey City becoming a tolerable mid-size city, let alone the best, mid-size city, is zilch.

Yvonne, you and the others can relish your triumph that JC has is forever mired in suburban, middle-American concerns such as what to do with your cars...

Me - I'm happy to live close enough to the greatest city in the world - Manhattan - so as to avoid Jersey City (short, of course, of living here LOL).

Posted on: 2014/8/2 1:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jrsygrl wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
I drive around JC often, and I hardly ever spend more than a minute or two looking for a spot anywhere in the downtown areas.

That has definitely NOT been my household's experience (live in JC, don't work in NYC), nor that of our neighbors.

Agreed.

Posted on: 2014/8/1 15:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:
I haven't experienced JC as a visitor, but do we really have enough parking space for visitors?

Yes, we do. What is SO HARD to understand about what is being posted here, and on other threads, regarding the many parking lots (open to the public) that sit half empty all day and night??

I drive around JC often, and I hardly ever spend more than a minute or two looking for a spot anywhere in the downtown areas.

I believe you. I also believe that I am incredibly lucky when it comes to finding parking. I am actually being serious, not snarky. But, the fact remains that finding free, on street parking is possible. As for enough parking being available, well, the evidence is QUITE CLEAR. It may not be on street, and free, but plenty of parking is available for residents and visitors. You just have to pay for it, sometimes.

Posted on: 2014/8/1 14:52

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/26 22:57
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

That has definitely NOT been my household's experience (live in JC, don't work in NYC), nor that of our neighbors.

Posted on: 2014/8/1 12:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

I have noticed here most people that grew up here and lived here most of their lives hate Jersey City and is looking for a way out.

Not true for me. I was born and raised here and have been promoting it all my life. It's why I hate the "6th Borough" term. That term is used by 212'ers embarrassed to tell their friends they moved here "Yeah, I know it's NJ, but it's practically the 6th borough!" No it's not. Your friends still snicker at you for this.

STOP USING THIS TERM. Having markets with this name doesn't help either.

Quote:

My point is we are even deceiving tourist into thinking they are not even lodging in Jersey City.

Yeah, by calling it a 6th borough ha!

Quote:

When is the Jersey City Pride Parade?

Hopefully soon! I agree with your sentiments.

Seems like the 6th borough to me. It only exists because of its proximity to Manhattan. I love JC but it is what it is.

Posted on: 2014/8/1 11:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:
I haven't experienced JC as a visitor, but do we really have enough parking space for visitors?

Yes, we do. What is SO HARD to understand about what is being posted here, and on other threads, regarding the many parking lots (open to the public) that sit half empty all day and night??

Posted on: 2014/8/1 11:01

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/5 14:14
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:
Wow, you're really passionate about hating the blog (free shill opportunity - http://www.chicpeajc.com/) and chasing me around jclist for my "shilling". I hope you also use that passion in a positive way, instead of just espousing negativity and criticism.

Same as anyone on here would call out someone who seems REALLY eager to promote a shitty restaurant. You seem really defensive! So I'm assuming you probably know the blogger or have some personal investment in it. Or you just have god awful taste. Maybe all of the above?

Posted on: 2014/7/31 23:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:

Yes. The city is full of 1/2 used decks. What we don't have is free parking for all, and I have no idea why anyone would expect that we would.

Primospot used to be awesome for NYC before the app folded. It pretty much listed all the street parking spots, and how long you could safely park there. Streetparker is a similar map, but not quite as useful. Couple that with gps, smart parking meters, links to off-street parking, shouldn't be too hard to have an app that gives everyone a simple way to find an on-street or off-street parking spot at anytime.

http://www.nycparklife.com/streetparker/

Posted on: 2014/7/31 18:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Unfortunately, JC never protected its history. It is older than the state of NJ. When JC turned 300 years old, there was an exhibition in Journal Square with many artifacts. The city even produced a book on the subject. I inquired about these artifacts when the city turned 350 years old, I wanted to include them in my video. I was quietly told these artifacts were sold off. I cannot mention the person who told me this, the only artifacts worthwhile is a Dutch language bible. Smaller town in NJ have preserved their artifacts. Even the Apple Tree House is taking forever to be restored. The process started in 1989 when the county gave $375,000 for the Apple Tree House. If the city took better care of what it had, it would be a reason to visit JC.

Posted on: 2014/7/31 18:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
What does make for a great mid-sized city? Perhaps we need to start by comparing JC to cities elsewhere in the US that are supposed to be - http://realestate.msn.com/americas-10-most-exciting-midsize-cities

What do they have that JC doesn't (or that JC doesn't have enough of)? Having been to a few of them, the first thing that comes to mind is they have an "appeal" that JC simply doesn't, upon hearing about them. Of course, in all these places it may be the 'downtown' that gives the city it's character/appeal to visitors and/or people who want to move there http://cardi.cornell.edu/cals/devsoc/ ... /successful-downtowns.pdf and true, JC has a great downtown.

But something is missing in JC; I'm not sure what but if I had to hazard a guess its that, compared to other "great" mid-sized cities JC just has too many rundown, architecturally/environmentally unattractive, poor, unsafe/unsavory, and hard to get to areas.

I thought the notion that we can improve the city by throwing out poor people and replacing them with wealthier people went without saying...

That said, you have to have a city wealthy people want to live in first. Outside of downtown that doesn't exist and in downtown there's plenty of room for improvement. Developing the embankment into a Jersey City version of the High Line would be fantastic.

Oh yes, and we should work to end affordable housing programs. What is that nonsense anyway?

Posted on: 2014/7/31 17:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
What does make for a great mid-sized city? Perhaps we need to start by comparing JC to cities elsewhere in the US that are supposed to be - http://realestate.msn.com/americas-10-most-exciting-midsize-cities

What do they have that JC doesn't (or that JC doesn't have enough of)? Having been to a few of them, the first thing that comes to mind is they have an "appeal" that JC simply doesn't, upon hearing about them. Of course, in all these places it may be the 'downtown' that gives the city it's character/appeal to visitors and/or people who want to move there http://cardi.cornell.edu/cals/devsoc/ ... /successful-downtowns.pdf and true, JC has a great downtown.

But something is missing in JC; I'm not sure what but if I had to hazard a guess its that, compared to other "great" mid-sized cities JC just has too many rundown, architecturally/environmentally unattractive, poor, unsafe/unsavory, and hard to get to areas.

Posted on: 2014/7/31 17:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The city is full of motorists who get ticketed or booted all the time. I remember a friend telling me about the time a family member passed away. Family members came to the wake and funeral and the city booted the cars. This city is hostile to cars yet I do not see public officials giving up their cars for bikes. I disagree about the city having enough garages. For every person who uses a bike, there are people in JC with two or more cars. If I visit a city, I want to make sure my car is safe not booted or ticketed.

Posted on: 2014/7/31 17:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:

But for people in NJ suburb, getting in and out of JC isn't necessarily easy.

If you live in a suburb, how would you get here? Can you take a train? I'm sure, you can, but it takes too long, does it not? If it's just one train, like going to NYC, that may be a different story, but there is no direct NJT access to JC. So I won't blame them if they want to drive (I would too).

You have to drive here, but parking isn't the problem IMO. There's an insane amount of traffic by the Holland Tunnel which makes it a real pain in the ass to drive into or out of JC.

Posted on: 2014/7/31 17:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:

Yes. The city is full of 1/2 used decks. What we don't have is free parking for all, and I have no idea why anyone would expect that we would.

Posted on: 2014/7/31 17:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
People visit JC for two 3 reasons: #1-It is cheaper to stay here than NYC, we are a hotel route. #2- Some travel to visit Liberty State Park and the Science Center, parking is available there. # A small number do research at the main library. Over a century ago, people did travel to JC especially to visit the urban parks. I have historical postcards with comments from the visitors who saw Van Vorst Park, Hamilton Park, and Lincoln Park. Those visitors stayed at the hotel on Jersey and Montgomery Streets, now a condo. Now visitors are shopping Indian Square, I see out of state license plates there. Some people park their car at the White Castle parking lot which is closeby, their cars are removed by management. More people would visit Indian Square if parking was available.

That's a good example of an area that doesn't have a lot of parking. Which business do you propose we knock down to add parking to block that has been built out for decades?

Of course there is public parking a few blocks away at the PA/Path. But I suppose we should have a deck on every single block so people don't have to walk at all.

http://www.thenewjournalsquare.com/js_parking_rates.asp

Posted on: 2014/7/31 17:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/8 21:51
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
If JC wants to become a better (by that, I primarily mean more vibrant) mid-sized city than it is now, I believe it has to become more attractive to people who don't live here to visit here. And to do that, it has to first make it easier for them to do that.

It is easy to go to NYC from JC or to come to JC from NYC, so JC is beginning to attract some people from NYC (and the number of people in NYC who are not prejudiced about JC is increasing), and that's good.

But for people in NJ suburb, getting in and out of JC isn't necessarily easy.

If you live in a suburb, how would you get here? Can you take a train? I'm sure, you can, but it takes too long, does it not? If it's just one train, like going to NYC, that may be a different story, but there is no direct NJT access to JC. So I won't blame them if they want to drive (I would too).

I understand that many people live DTJC without a car, and for them, density or lack of car infrastructure isn't a problem (and I understand the appeal to all pedestrian or bike friendly city from the residents' point of view; I myself subscribe to that to a certain degree).

But the problem is that the rest of this country isn't set up like that. So if JC wants to attract visitors, it either has to have direct NJT access or have parking spaces available for visitors for a reasonable cost.

Posted on: 2014/7/31 17:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
People visit JC for two 3 reasons: #1-It is cheaper to stay here than NYC, we are a hotel route. #2- Some travel to visit Liberty State Park and the Science Center, parking is available there. # A small number do research at the main library. Over a century ago, people did travel to JC especially to visit the urban parks. I have historical postcards with comments from the visitors who saw Van Vorst Park, Hamilton Park, and Lincoln Park. Those visitors stayed at the hotel on Jersey and Montgomery Streets, now a condo. Now visitors are shopping Indian Square, I see out of state license plates there. Some people park their car at the White Castle parking lot which is closeby, their cars are removed by management. More people would visit Indian Square if parking was available.

Resized Image

I hate to disregard my own advice, but... WOW. So, there are ONLY three reasons why people visit JC, and those are the ones you listed: cheaper hotels (yes, true), to visit LSP and the Science Center, to visit the Library. No one comes to JC for work? Interviews? Restaurants?? Visit family/friends??

You really have your finger on the pulse of JC.

Posted on: 2014/7/31 16:53

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/11 16:12
From New Jersey
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Old-Skool-JC wrote:

But please, Immigration Lawyer, let us hear in your own words why you think this blog is great and why you're so keen to promote it at every given opportunity. Try and do it without calling people names.

Pretty sure it's because she's his wife

Posted on: 2014/7/31 16:39

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017