Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
137 user(s) are online (115 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 137

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6)

Re: How can JC become the best mid-sized city in the US?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/14 19:09
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:

Now, as to what the city needs I have to say the role of parks isn't mentioned nearly enough. There are no equivalents to Central, Riverside or Prospect Parks. We keep adding more people but no additional green space. We have the embankment standing idle and such, but while much effort is being spent on green lighting new development, nothing is being done to move the ball on green space. Then there's the infrastructure, including both public transport and roads. Our current situation isn't cutting it and we're just piling in more people. Agree on stores, though really I'd be happy to chop the list down to just Whole Foods.

Oh, also annoyed that people here are so intolerant of offleash dogs. Not that this has ever stopped me or anything.

There are a lot of great parks in JC. Liberty State Park (LSP) is absolutely gorgeous and literally steps away. The only thing I would change about LSP is the GORGEOUS abandoned railway station. They need to revamp that and make it into a restaurant or some sort of venue that can host concerts or something. It may just be a little economic stimulus for the area.

As for dogs, people need to pick up after their pets.

Posted on: 2014/7/30 17:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
"Yeah, I know it's NJ, but it's practically the 6th borough!" No it's not. Your friends still snicker at you for this.[quote]
I don't use the term 6th borough, but I don't care if people do. How is it not practicall the 6th borough? What would something have to be 'practically' the 6th borough? Yonkers? Hoboken? They're all satellites to Manhattan, so I'm fine with anyone calling it that.

It's in NJ, so at the end of the day, it will never be any part of NYC. It's incredibly insulting to native JCers who have worked hard to make JC its own, unique experience. The term 6th Borough implies JC can't be considered a great place unless it's associated with NYC, which is BS.
Anyone using this term sounds silly and again, is typically used by former 212-ers insecure about their recent move to NJ. Just stop. The people running the "6th Borough Market" came up with some obscure, pie in the sky nonsense about why they chose the term, which basically translated to "we're using it to make money, so we don't really care what the locals think about it". It's pathetic. Call it the JERSEY CITY Market, or DOWNTOWN JC Market.
Project EATS and the Jersey City Project got it right. They made JC the star and focus, not their insecurities and inflated egos.

I hear the the city hall in Nyc keeps sending people addressing civiv issues back to Downtown Jersey City at 280 Grove St. because they think they are part of the 5 boroughs; hence the term 6th Borough. Well at least they'll learn.

Posted on: 2014/7/30 16:20
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Hilarious stuff in this thread. JC is only notable because of its proximity to Manhattan. Pretty much all of the value of property is here due to that and most employment is directly or indirectly the result of it. Most of the new residents, especially the desirable yuppies, are ex-NYCers that are looking for greener pastures. The notion that JC can in any way, shape or form "stand alone" is laughable. And this is basically the 6th borough. It is no more or less Manhattan centric than Queens or Brooklyn. Denying this is just silly.

Now, as to what the city needs I have to say the role of parks isn't mentioned nearly enough. There are no equivalents to Central, Riverside or Prospect Parks. We keep adding more people but no additional green space. We have the embankment standing idle and such, but while much effort is being spent on green lighting new development, nothing is being done to move the ball on green space. Then there's the infrastructure, including both public transport and roads. Our current situation isn't cutting it and we're just piling in more people. Agree on stores, though really I'd be happy to chop the list down to just Whole Foods.

Oh, also annoyed that people here are so intolerant of offleash dogs. Not that this has ever stopped me or anything.

Posted on: 2014/7/30 16:06

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/5 14:14
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

immigrationlawyer wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

What would you like to see in JC?

More Pride! Where I grew up, even though folks from Manhattan were always making fun of us, Brooklyn people are full of pride from Brownsville to Williamsburg we loved BK and most New Yorkers love New York and proud to be from there.

I have noticed here most people that grew up here and lived here most of their lives hate Jersey City and is looking for a way out.

The new comers especially down in Newport say they are from Newport not Jersey City. I met a tourist in Manhattan a few months ago who was seeking directions back to his hotel in Newport City. I was confused for about a minute then after dissecting his German accent I realized he was trying to get back to Newport in Jersey City.

My point is we are even deceiving tourist into thinking they are not even lodging in Jersey City.

I never seen such hate coming from residents. I think that's why our streets are dirty, and our city is divided.
Jersey City has a stigma about it, its considered dirty, unsafe, with shady politics. I think the best promotion we can do at this time is clean up govt, so the residents can fall in love with the city. Jersey City IMO will continue to be a transient city for newbies who will live here before getting married and then returning back to the Midwest or India.

When is the Jersey City Pride Parade?

I agree that more pride is key to future success. I'm not sure about the Newport area, but I think Jersey City pride is on the rise elsewhere. Here's a good example of some recent JC pride: http://www.chicpeajc.com/.

LOL

Posted on: 2014/7/29 19:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/18 15:56
Group:
Registered Users
I'm glad this thread popped up, because I've thought about it from time to time when the phrase is used. I think before you can ask "how can JC become...." you have to define what it is and who you are competing with.

Brewster mentioned Pittsburgh. That seems fair in that it only has a little more than 300,000 people - but it's metropolitan area is 2.6 million. What is the upper bound for "mid-sized"? 400,000 people? 600,000? If I said "Columbus, Ohio", some would definitely say "mid-sized" - but it has more than 800,000 residents, or about the same size as San Francisco.

Generally speaking, I think the city has a ways to go in areas like job creation (high paying jobs in growth industries), education system, sustainability (in almost every sense of the word), and a host of quality of life issues like traffic management, accessibility to quality, clean, safe parks, litter.

I know it gets thrown around on here a lot, but the whole "two Jersey Cities" thing is a factor too. When you drive around the non-downtown parts of the city, it's like you've gone back in time in many cases. I don't think any one group is to blame, but the city is quite segmented and as a result, it seems that big change is harder to implement here than in more vibrant, progressive, "newer" cities.

Even basic things here like the sewer and water system and the roads are poorly maintained and lag behind most of the rest of the developed world - partly, it seems, because of the high population density/overuse, partly due to budget limitations - but also a lack of overall planning and vision. The last mayor was disengaged. The mayor before him died in office. The one before him wanted to privatise everything - but more from a budgetary slight of hand than to improve efficiency. And the one before him went to jail. The current mayor has his sights set elsewhere.

The place definitely has potential, but I don't think it is as easily achieved as a simplistic marketing slogan would lead you to believe.

Posted on: 2014/7/29 16:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/7 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
You guys have fail to mention the most important thing to making Jersey City better, jobs. We need high paying jobs that are not just in the financial and real estate sector so that our city can progress as a whole like jobs in manufacturing. Unfortunately, corruption, taxes, its denseness, and litigation makes JC an unattractive place for businesses to relocate to.

Posted on: 2014/7/29 16:39
ಠ_ಠ

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
jcdd, physical structure is not unimportant, but pales compared to the actual instruction and institutional culture. Ferris HS is relatively new, it even has a pool, but is an academic nightmare. You're focusing on the forehead scratch while the patient is bleeding out from a severed limb.

Posted on: 2014/7/29 16:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/16 12:23
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

More Pride! Where I grew up, even though folks from Manhattan were always making fun of us, Brooklyn people are full of pride from Brownsville to Williamsburg we loved BK and most New Yorkers love New York and proud to be from there.

I have noticed here most people that grew up here and lived here most of their lives hate Jersey City and is looking for a way out.

The new comers especially down in Newport say they are from Newport not Jersey City. I met a tourist in Manhattan a few months ago who was seeking directions back to his hotel in Newport City. I was confused for about a minute then after dissecting his German accent I realized he was trying to get back to Newport in Jersey City.

My point is we are even deceiving tourist into thinking they are not even lodging in Jersey City.

I never seen such hate coming from residents. I think that's why our streets are dirty, and our city is divided.
Jersey City has a stigma about it, its considered dirty, unsafe, with shady politics. I think the best promotion we can do at this time is clean up govt, so the residents can fall in love with the city. Jersey City IMO will continue to be a transient city for newbies who will live here before getting married and then returning back to the Midwest or India.

I agree that more pride is key to future success. I'm not sure about the Newport area, but I think Jersey City pride is on the rise elsewhere. Here's a good example of some recent JC pride: http://www.chicpeajc.com/.

Posted on: 2014/7/29 16:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/3 1:43
Group:
Banned
Brewster - I agree and I have heard some good things about LCCS. But we also need to realize that physical structures are also important in terms of the environment children are learning in. It is now virtually impossible for children that are not siblings to get a spot in that school.
I recently toured one of the downtown elementary schools. I was very disturbed by the lead problems with the water and the total lack of outside space - not even a playground. All of the children (pre-k thru 8) vie for a half hour of play time in the one gym in the basement. I have also heard that there are asbestos issues in many old schools. While I was pleasantly surprised with the instruction, the physical structure is not good and its a huge turnoff. I work full time. I feel bad that my child will be stuck inside an old decrepid school all day without the opportunity to run and play outside and ge exercise like all children should. Even NYC has figured out a way to find outside space for their schools, and their real estate is certainly much more $$ than JC.

THis turns off a lot of parents, for good reason. Also, for those of you that are not aware, many of the JC schools have a huge issue with lead in the water - to the point where they have had to permantly shut the water fountains off. But the kids still brush their teeth with that water, wash their hands and food is cooked in it. The City has taken no steps to remediate the problem that I am aware of. I really don't know why the EPA isn't involved.

Posted on: 2014/7/29 15:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
If public schools were able to get rid of the few kids that make the most trouble, they would be a good part of the way towards achieving the same results that LCCS has.

Posted on: 2014/7/29 15:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jcdd wrote:
Improve the schools and the City will improve. Start with building new schools to replace the old, decrepit and embarressing structures.

LCCS, one of the highest functioning schools in JC of any type, is in an ancient ex-catholic school they bought a few years ago, and before that they were crammed in the Boys and Girls Club. Nothing about you personally, but to paraphrase: "it's the faculty and leadership, stupid!" If the district spent less time hating on the successful charters and more time studying and emulating what works, perhaps progress could be seen.

Posted on: 2014/7/29 15:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/3 1:43
Group:
Banned
This City will never acheive that status until they improve the schools (including downtown). WIth the exception of a very few, most of the schools (including downtown) are in dismal shape. Many are seriously old, have lead and asbestos problems, as well as crumbling and outdated infrastructure, and have ZERO dedicated green space / playgrounds /outside space. It is a real embarressment and the reason most folks move away.

I am going to throw it out there that it is these middle class families that generally become the most active in communities and help to keep it looking good, clean and well run. WHen they move out, it becomes a transient city of young people, temporary folks, and empty nesters that are less vested in the community.

Improve the schools and the City will improve. Start with building new schools to replace the old, decrepit and embarressing structures.

Posted on: 2014/7/29 15:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
Ok, I softened the language, sorry for that. But yes, I am thin skinned on this one. More people visit from other parts of NJ than NYC, especially for the festivals and food events. Again, it's a concept made up by transplants too insecure about their new NJ residency to take pride in it. It's sad.

Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Anyone using this term sounds silly and again, is typically used by former 212-ers insecure about their recent move to NJ. Just stop.

Someone's a little thin skinned on the subject! While we're calling people morons, it's moronic to ignore the fact that we exist in NYC's shadow and suck on it's economic tit. JC has very little native "value added" economy left, and we would definitely not have the downtown office enclave if not for the proximity to NYC. "Rah rah" and denial won't change this, and any planning needs to take it into account.

Posted on: 2014/7/29 15:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Anyone using this term sounds like a complete moron and again, is typically used by former 212-ers insecure about their recent move to NJ. Just stop.

Someone's a little thin skinned on the subject! While we're calling people morons, it's moronic to ignore the fact that we exist in NYC's shadow and suck on it's economic tit. JC has very little native "value added" economy left, and we would definitely not have the downtown office enclave if not for the proximity to NYC. "Rah rah" and denial won't change this, and any planning needs to take it into account.

Posted on: 2014/7/29 15:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
"Yeah, I know it's NJ, but it's practically the 6th borough!" No it's not. Your friends still snicker at you for this.[quote]

I don't use the term 6th borough, but I don't care if people do. How is it not practicall the 6th borough? What would something have to be 'practically' the 6th borough? Yonkers? Hoboken? They're all satellites to Manhattan, so I'm fine with anyone calling it that.

It's in NJ, so at the end of the day, it will never be any part of NYC. It's incredibly insulting to native JCers who have worked hard to make JC its own, unique experience. The term 6th Borough implies JC can't be considered a great place unless it's associated with NYC, which is BS.

Anyone using this term sounds like a complete moron and again, is typically used by former 212-ers insecure about their recent move to NJ. Just stop.

The people running the "6th Borough Market" came up with some obscure, pie in the sky nonsense about why they chose the term, which basically translated to "we're using it to make money, so we don't really care what the locals think about it". It's pathetic. Call it the JERSEY CITY Market, or DOWNTOWN JC Market.

Project EATS and the Jersey City Project got it right. They made JC the star and focus, not their insecurities and inflated egos.

Dude, you are seriously deluding yourself if you think proximity to NYC isn't JCs biggest selling point. It's exactly why property values continue to rise, and it's why tens of thousands of new high rise units are being built and will be filled.

And anyone who is unbiased can drive around 75% of JC and acknowledge people aren't coming here in droves for that, lol.

Posted on: 2014/7/29 15:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:

Anyone using this term sounds silly and again, is typically used by former 212-ers insecure about their recent move to NJ. Just stop.

The people running the "6th Borough Market" came up with some obscure, pie in the sky nonsense about why they chose the term, which basically translated to "we're using it to make money, so we don't really care what the locals think about it". It's pathetic. Call it the JERSEY CITY Market, or DOWNTOWN JC Market.

Posted on: 2014/7/29 14:54

Edited by nyrgravey9 on 2014/7/29 15:17:13
Reason: fixed

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/22 21:14
Group:
Registered Users
-- Better Schools (not just downtown)

-- Safety on Streets/Less Crime

-- More Sustainability (Biking, Recycling, More Solar, Good retailers that espouse corporate social responsibility: Wegman's, Pret-a-Manger, etc.)

-- Varied Nightlife Options aside from beer gardens/sports bars and pizza in all of its incarnations (is there anyway to get some nightlife, not boisterous bars, on the waterfront like Hoboken, a jazz lounge, supper club, indie movie theater like a Landmark Sunshine or Roberts Chatham, etc.)

-- Continued Diversity in all aspects

-- Better Recreation, Public Spaces and more Green Space (the 6th Street Embankment coming to fruition).

Posted on: 2014/7/29 14:12

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/14 19:09
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
So I LOVE Jersey City. I choose to live here over any NYC borough, but I do happen to have a few issues with the way we treat one another in the community.

There are two complete extremes: on one hand we have the warm and inviting community that promotes local businesses, farmers markets, the Groove on Grove gigs etc. The flip side to that is the groups of "stoopers" that sit on their front stoop with extremely loud music drinking copious amounts of alcohol and throwing the glass bottles all over the sidewalks. It's like an obstacle course every morning trying to dodge the broken glass all over Chris Columbus.

I don't know why there are some people in the community that do not care about their neighbors but I would love to see that change.

Additionally, I would love to see people actually follow traffic laws. I have witnessed 2 hit and runs in the past year. Why do people think it's necessary to drive at 50mph on a 25mph road? I don't know.

I agree with the argument that in large urban areas we are bound to find people of all demographics - some that go out of their way for their community and neighbors and some that are the exact opposite - but to make JC my idyllic neighborhood, I would love to see people

a) follow traffic rules - make way for pedestrians
b) not litter
c) be considerate of their neighbors and community
d) not drink alcohol in parks meant for children
e) do something about the school system in the area - help elevate the standard
f) bring in less important things like - more home stores and more boutiques (perhaps a nice baby store?)

And yes - PLEASE BRING IN A WHOLEFOODS OR TRADER JOE'S OR WEGMAN'S OR ANYTHING BETTER THAN SHOP RITE AND/OR PATHMARK

Posted on: 2014/7/29 13:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/7/29 13:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Not true for me. I was born and raised here and have been promoting it all my life. It's why I hate the "6th Borough" term. That term is used by 212'ers embarrassed to tell their friends they moved here "Yeah, I know it's NJ, but it's practically the 6th borough!" No it's not. Your friends still snicker at you for this.

STOP USING THIS TERM. Having markets with this name doesn't help either.

Quote:

Yeah, by calling it a 6th borough ha!

Quote:

Hopefully soon! I agree with your sentiments.

Posted on: 2014/7/29 13:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Prismatic wrote:
How about starting with not using "best mid-sized city". It's one of the most half assed marketing ploys for a city I have ever seen. To anyone outside of JC it shows tells them that we have no future aspirations.

What, are you disappointed we don't aspire to be a "big city"?

As for the OP, I'm of the opinion we can't. The BMSC's (tm) are standalone, not in the shadow of the biggest city in the country. Take the Loews issue as an example. In a isolated MSC like Pittsburgh the local wealthy and corporate entities would take interest in it and support it's development into a PAC because it was the only game in town. Here the big time is across the river, why bother?

You can extend this syndrome across the board, the best we can be is the best 6th borough, our obvious competitors outside the metro area are other satellites like Oakland. You can't even put us in the same horse race as Brooklyn, at 2.6m people, they're a "Big City" by any comparison.

Totally agree. I'd like to see us concentrate on such things as:
safest city (of any size)
best schooling
greenest
best aging in place city

Posted on: 2014/7/29 11:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

Posted on: 2014/7/29 11:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
There ain't a damn thing wrong with being the best mid size city in the USA.

How do we reach this?

IMO, it starts with us. Our attitudes, what we demand of ourselves & those around us. Forward thinking ideas do not mean a thing unless the majority is ready for them. If you don't care what your property looks like, where your kids are, the local news or what your elected officials are doing, you will never reach a big goal.

Posted on: 2014/7/29 11:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Prismatic wrote:
How about starting with not using "best mid-sized city". It's one of the most half assed marketing ploys for a city I have ever seen. To anyone outside of JC it shows tells them that we have no future aspirations.

What, are you disappointed we don't aspire to be a "big city"?

As for the OP, I'm of the opinion we can't. The BMSC's (tm) are standalone, not in the shadow of the biggest city in the country. Take the Loews issue as an example. In a isolated MSC like Pittsburgh the local wealthy and corporate entities would take interest in it and support it's development into a PAC because it was the only game in town. Here the big time is across the river, why bother?

You can extend this syndrome across the board, the best we can be is the best 6th borough, our obvious competitors outside the metro area are other satellites like Oakland. You can't even put us in the same horse race as Brooklyn, at 2.6m people, they're a "Big City" by any comparison.

Posted on: 2014/7/29 5:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/10 21:37
From The Heights.
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/7/29 3:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

Any one of the following (in no specific order):

Wegmans
Whole Foods
Trader Joe's
Fairway

Posted on: 2014/7/29 1:44

How can JC become the best mid-sized city in the US?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
What would you like to see? What can we learn from other cities like Barcelona? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCbvxb5t5_8

Fulop's pledge set me thinking. Rip up the local playbook a bit. Let's bypass petty arguments over abatements, casinos and property development for a sec.

How about the internet of everything? How about incubating, enabling and promoting forward-thinking ideas? How about attracting inward investment - and that will in turn attract money, jobs and people?

Solar powered trash cans on street corners? Ipad charging stations on park benches? Electric-powered tuk-tuk taxis? Real-time parking space apps?

Posted on: 2014/7/29 1:40

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017