Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
111 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 111

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: You can tell a lot about a person by the way he treats the waiter
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/5 16:38
Group:
Banned
The real idiot is anyone getting involved in this bullshit thread.

Posted on: 2014/7/28 15:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/16 12:23
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jmiz wrote:
Quote:

immigrationlawyer wrote:
Interesting that you injected the statement "how we're all idiots". Your first post in this thread clearly suggests you're an idiot and your follow-up clearly suggests you're a bigot. Assuming mscottc is not an idiot and bigot, he/she is better than you.

The real idiot is anyone who takes that tipping chart seriously, and then gets their panties in a bunch over comments about said chart. Which is, (not) surprisingly, about half of the people who have posted in this thread.

Yes, I did say that chart is based on scientific fact. And a few of you morons took me seriously. How fucking dense can you be.

I'm glad that my sarcastic comment about a made up chart has ruffled so many feathers.

dude, your panties are clearly all bunched up. you're clearly very angry...settle down.

Posted on: 2014/7/28 14:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
What is the tipping percentage this chart is based upon ? I always thought it was between 15 and 20 percent of the bill. And do you tip on the total bill with tax and alcohol included ?

Posted on: 2014/7/28 14:20
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/7/28 13:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

anonymess wrote:
Quote:

The link about NY wages is definitely wrong. $2.13 is the federal minimum. I'm not sure if that's still the case. However, NYS has a higher minimum; it presently has a $5 minimum as of Jan. 2013. That takes precedence over the federal minimum... it would be the higher one. At the time of the article, it was $4.65 or thereabouts. I do payroll for the restaurant, among a few bazillion other things.

Thanks for the info. Strange though that these wages are a combination of a wage plus tip to bring the worker up to at least minimum wage when other industries have to adhere to a standard. Seems very unfair.

Posted on: 2014/7/28 11:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
The entire point of this thread somehow had to do with Fulop, and the poster who created the topic never explained what he meant.

Posted on: 2014/7/28 3:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

immigrationlawyer wrote:
Interesting that you injected the statement "how we're all idiots". Your first post in this thread clearly suggests you're an idiot and your follow-up clearly suggests you're a bigot. Assuming mscottc is not an idiot and bigot, he/she is better than you.

The real idiot is anyone who takes that tipping chart seriously, and then gets their panties in a bunch over comments about said chart. Which is, (not) surprisingly, about half of the people who have posted in this thread.

Yes, I did say that chart is based on scientific fact. And a few of you morons took me seriously. How fucking dense can you be.

I'm glad that my sarcastic comment about a made up chart has ruffled so many feathers.

Posted on: 2014/7/28 1:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/21 2:00
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
In New York City, most waiters and waitresses are unionized and make a decent amount more than minimum wage. Of course, they have to pay union dues and some probably end up netting out less after paying their dues if the restaurant has too many slow days.

The exact opposite is true. The unionized restaurants are mostly hotel restaurants and they're not all unionized.

Posted on: 2014/7/28 1:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
In New York City, most waiters and waitresses are unionized and make a decent amount more than minimum wage. Of course, they have to pay union dues and some probably end up netting out less after paying their dues if the restaurant has too many slow days.

I'd like to think I am a generous tipper, having waited tables in high school, college and grad school myself. I don't recall any correlation with the chart shown, then again, I didn't always know the religion of my customers or if they were foreign tourists vs. long-time residents of the USA that happened to be foreign-born.

I once worked at a "no-tipping" private club during grad school for a whopping $8/hour. Boy did that suck. We were strictly warned that taking any tips would get us fired from our great $8/hour job (oh gee, what ever will I do?). I happily accepted tips from non-members of the club attending functions such as weddings and other receptions and never got caught. I still had enough of working for peanuts and marched across to the hotel across the street, quickly making more than twice as much money most of the time. A number of the waitstaff followed me over. "Hell hath no fury like a waiter's scorn." I think that private club still has a bounty out on me.

I don't see what the article had to do with Fulop either, but I'd love to hear other peoples' stories of waiting tables, or their rationale behind tipping what they do.

Posted on: 2014/7/28 1:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
i'll never understand why asinine threads like this remain up while often innocuous comments and the like don't remain.

Posted on: 2014/7/28 0:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

The link about NY wages is definitely wrong. $2.13 is the federal minimum. I'm not sure if that's still the case. However, NYS has a higher minimum; it presently has a $5 minimum as of Jan. 2013. That takes precedence over the federal minimum... it would be the higher one. At the time of the article, it was $4.65 or thereabouts. I do payroll for the restaurant, among a few bazillion other things.

Posted on: 2014/7/28 0:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/16 12:23
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jmiz wrote:
Quote:

mscottc wrote:
Excuse me?

As a member of the Jewish tribe, I'd like to know where you get your information. I'll gladly compare my tipping practices to yours. Blah blah blah blah blah.

I received my information directly from chart that fat-ass-bike posted above, which means my original quote was based on scientific fact. You should now get uptight and post a long paragraph about how I'm a bigot, how you're better than me, and how we're all idiots.

What you can do now is unclench your fists, douse some cold water on the steam coming out of your ears, and reread the thread to see just how ridiculous you sound.

Posted on: 2014/7/28 0:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mscottc wrote:

This chart is ridiculous.

Congratulations, of course the chart was ridiculous. It was some-one's attempt at humor - I'm just disappointed there was not mention on how fat and skinny people tip or how a blonde woman might tip!

It would have made a great topic / episode on seinfeld

I'm throwing this in for a giggle: WARNING - Don't have a mouth full of coffee when clicking and reading the link below or you might make a mess on your keyboard!

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Your-Vagi ... utm_campaign=related_test

Posted on: 2014/7/28 0:27
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/23 12:14
Group:
Registered Users
For any one, in this day and age, to log onto a public forum such as this one and willingly post something to the effect of "Jews are really lousy tippers" clearly has an axe to grind. More than likely your axe has nothing to do with the core topic in the first place and your rationale is more to justify posting such an incendiary, bigoted, comment cloaked in "well it's a great chart, and the facts speak for themselves". If the anonymity of the internet didn't exist and you were visible in a crowd, I guarantee you wouldn't have the balls, courage, nor GOOD SENSE to articulate such a comment.

Is it a scientific fact that spineless bigoted pussies tend to post bigoted comments on public blogs? I believe I've conducted all the research to confirm it to be so!

Posted on: 2014/7/28 0:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

anonymess wrote:
I question how scientific such a study is. But in general, it seems to coincide with my experience working in the industry for 20+ years, though not in the front of house.

I was a bit surprised to find that Jews fall below average. I happen to be Jewish, but that's irrelevant. I'm guessing that the elderly Jewish diners brought down the average significantly.

While I believe the study to be mostly valid, it's a shame that servers often generalize and let these statistics affect their service. But it's hard to blame them.

I presently work in a restaurant which is inundated with tourists. Of all the groups mentioned, foreigners are by far the worst tippers. I see it with my own eyes. It's not a lack of knowledge about our custom, stoopid as it may be. They're set in the ways. And tipping is very much a practice in Europe. However, it's generally 10%. However, and this is a big HOWEVER, European servers make a higher wage and receive benefits unlike in the US. As a result, prices are higher. In the end, it comes out to the same thing.

Restaurant tipping has been a source of controversy and debate for a long time. I don't know anyone who doesn't think it's gotten out of hand and that we should once and for all get rid of it. But there's no easy way to get rid of an ingrained custom. There are some bigger restaurants that have been able to eliminate tipping and raise prices. It really hasn't caught on as the owners hoped it would. The smaller restaurants in general, isn't going to do this. A potential customer might not connect the dots when he sees the higher prices even though tipping may not be allowed.

As far as not tipping at all, personally, I think I've only done it once. Servers in NY and I think NJ make $5/hr. They have to do something pretty egregious to warrant a lousy tip from me. Then again, I tip well above the average only because I'm in the business. Also, you need to remember that the server does not keep the entire tip. He has to pay a portion to bussers, runners and bartenders and possibly the maitre d'. So, when you leave a lousy tip, you're hurting more than the server.

You might find both these links interesting. One is for New Jersey and the other is for New York. Though they are about 3 years old, I can?t imagine too much has changed or changed drastically.

http://www.ehow.com/info_8352900_wage ... ers-state-new-jersey.html

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110727142739AA20Itz

Posted on: 2014/7/28 0:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I question how scientific such a study is. But in general, it seems to coincide with my experience working in the industry for 20+ years, though not in the front of house.

I was a bit surprised to find that Jews fall below average. I happen to be Jewish, but that's irrelevant. I'm guessing that the elderly Jewish diners brought down the average significantly.

While I believe the study to be mostly valid, it's a shame that servers often generalize and let these statistics affect their service. But it's hard to blame them.

I presently work in a restaurant which is inundated with tourists. Of all the groups mentioned, foreigners are by far the worst tippers. I see it with my own eyes. It's not a lack of knowledge about our custom, stoopid as it may be. They're set in the ways. And tipping is very much a practice in Europe. However, it's generally 10%. However, and this is a big HOWEVER, European servers make a higher wage and receive benefits unlike in the US. As a result, prices are higher. In the end, it comes out to the same thing.

Restaurant tipping has been a source of controversy and debate for a long time. I don't know anyone who doesn't think it's gotten out of hand and that we should once and for all get rid of it. But there's no easy way to get rid of an ingrained custom. There are some bigger restaurants that have been able to eliminate tipping and raise prices. It really hasn't caught on as the owners hoped it would. The smaller restaurants in general, isn't going to do this. A potential customer might not connect the dots when he sees the higher prices even though tipping may not be allowed.

As far as not tipping at all, personally, I think I've only done it once. Servers in NY and I think NJ make $5/hr. They have to do something pretty egregious to warrant a lousy tip from me. Then again, I tip well above the average only because I'm in the business. Also, you need to remember that the server does not keep the entire tip. He has to pay a portion to bussers, runners and bartenders and possibly the maitre d'. So, when you leave a lousy tip, you're hurting more than the server.

Posted on: 2014/7/27 23:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mscottc wrote:
Excuse me?

As a member of the Jewish tribe, I'd like to know where you get your information. I'll gladly compare my tipping practices to yours. Blah blah blah blah blah.

I received my information directly from chart that fat-ass-bike posted above, which means my original quote was based on scientific fact. You should now get uptight and post a long paragraph about how I'm a bigot, how you're better than me, and how we're all idiots.

What you can do now is unclench your fists, douse some cold water on the steam coming out of your ears, and reread the thread to see just how ridiculous you sound.

Posted on: 2014/7/27 19:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/16 16:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
You can tell a lot about a waiter by the way they treat their customers and the tip they receive !

I've have (a handful in the last 5 years) some forgetful, clumsy and rude waiters that really shouldn't be in the job.
For me, a small tip or no tip let's the waiter know their service was poor and bordering on a complaint to the manager !

Resized Image

This chart is ridiculous. Just as an example, if women are average tippers, and men are above average tippers, than it stands to reason there must be a third sex that are below average tippers. Hmmmm who are they. Another quick example. It appears on this chart that members of the Christian Religions are below average tippers. Since that group comprises the vast majority of Americans, that means that other religions (including Muslims, Hindus, and Buddhists), along with Agnostics and Atheists are the above average tippers, by quite a bit. As an Atheist, yea maybe that's true.

There is one thing on this chart I'm sure is true. As the USA is one of the few countries where tipping is the norm, I'm sure that foreigners don't tip as well as perhaps they should. Go to Europe, or Australia, and tipping is really considered a stupid practice. Wait staff is paid a full living salary, and "tips" are only given for service above and beyond the call of duty. We really need to implement the same practice here.

Again... I smell some idiocy and bigotry here.

Posted on: 2014/7/27 18:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/16 16:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jmiz wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

bkreed wrote:
Mayor Fulop must have missed this this article. That's a shame.
He should read it now.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/money/ ... 14-ceos-waiter-rule_x.htm

What does this have to do with Fulop? Were you his waiter and he tipped you poorly?

Maybe it's because Jews fall right on the boarder of average and below average on the tipping spectrum.

Excuse me?

As a member of the Jewish tribe, I'd like to know where you get your information. I'll gladly compare my tipping practices to yours. Unless I'm dissatisfied with the service, 20% is my norm, and if I'm given service beyond what's required, the tip goes up. Of course it goes down if I don't get proper treatment. Mostly it's very simple, show me a smile, and keep my waterglass full, and bring the right food to us at the right time. How dare you make that statement? The only thing it really proves is that you're a bigot.

Posted on: 2014/7/27 18:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
You can tell a lot about a waiter by the way they treat their customers and the tip they receive !

I've have (a handful in the last 5 years) some forgetful, clumsy and rude waiters that really shouldn't be in the job.
For me, a small tip or no tip let's the waiter know their service was poor and bordering on a complaint to the manager !

Resized Image

Gee bkreed why single out one particular group when others fall far below? I can forgive teenagers, they are young and do not know any better. Seniors are on a very limited income and a meal out is a treat, many are very polite in their treatment of the wait staff. Why not berate the Christians, Blacks, Hispanics, Coupon Users & Foreigners who fall into the Below Average (seriously below in some cases). Do you fall into one of these categories or do you just have an intense dislike for the mayor and the ethnic group to which he belongs? Why not berate the Above Average group? To me they are playing BMOC.

Personally, I treat and tip according to the service received and how they present themselves. I have tipped as high as 25% to the waiter who hovered unobtrusively around all his tables, offering suggestions and catering to his charges and to the waiter who made me laugh. I have also tipped as low as $0.01 to the waiter who gave me attitude and lip service while I tried to retain my composure.

Posted on: 2014/7/27 15:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
I don't get the Fulop angle whatsoever.

Posted on: 2014/7/27 15:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

bkreed wrote:
He should read it now.

What does this have to do with Fulop? Were you his waiter and he tipped you poorly?

Maybe it's because Jews fall right on the boarder of average and below average on the tipping spectrum.

Posted on: 2014/7/27 14:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/21 23:51
Group:
Registered Users
What does that article have to do with him?

Posted on: 2014/7/27 14:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bkreed wrote:
He should read it now.

Posted on: 2014/7/27 2:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users

Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/7/27 2:17
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

You can tell a lot about a person by the way he treats the waiter

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/7/27 13:17
Group:
Registered Users
He should read it now.

Posted on: 2014/7/27 1:47

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017