Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
99 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 99

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Taxi Stand on Columbus Drive
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Even Hoboken, which has higher property values, provides street parking for its residents. Not everyone who lives downtown takes to PATH to work.

Posted on: 2014/7/22 14:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
People will leave the city and property values will decrease if they cannot park on the streets. Next you will be asking why should people breathe air without paying!

And those people who leave or die off (mostly older people who hold onto their cars) will be replaced by new residents (especially by Wayne) who value a location by the path. Property values are not going down that close to Grove, don't be silly. Especially over parking, ha.

Posted on: 2014/7/22 11:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Another devoted follower I see. Actually the intro is so good Steve Fulop is now using it. And of course the shirt is in tune with the festive air in the hot real estate zone and yeah there are people who care about where the taxis are or are not.

Posted on: 2014/7/22 4:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/5 2:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
This is literally my first time seeing a speak NJ video... And I am moved! My thoughts:

Where did you get the intro sound clip? I need it as the ring tone for people I don't like.

Your husband's shirt - amazing! At first I wasn't sure if he was in JC or at Carnival cocktail hour on the Lido deck. Do people ever ask him if he's Hawaiian?

Who gives a flying f*ck about the placement of the taxi stand? We are in one of the biggest cities in NJ - things changes. Walk a block.

Posted on: 2014/7/22 4:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Well parking is not exactly free in the downtown since we have to buy a permit from the Parking Authority and there are meters. It gets competitive though and drivers hang on corners overnite & get tickets in the hotness zone.

Posted on: 2014/7/22 3:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
By the way, the city requires the property owner to repair the sewerage lines when they break and most times they break in the street past the sidewalk. So we have a vested interests and ownership in the streets.

Why would people leave? Dowtown JC real estate and rental markets are as hot as ever even as parking has decreased.

And you're comparing parking to oxygen? I shouldn't even be responding to this but guess what - land is scarce and oxygen isn't.

Posted on: 2014/7/22 2:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
By the way, the city requires the property owner to repair the sewerage lines when they break and most times they break in the street past the sidewalk. So we have a vested interests and ownership in the streets.

Posted on: 2014/7/22 2:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
If anything my loyal followers have learned a thing or two about our street names. Carry on.

That registered a 10 out of 10 on my chuckle-meter. You mean like Poncho11? Is he a loyal follower? Perhaps your husband?

Woof!

Posted on: 2014/7/22 2:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Now everyone settle down and contemplate the issue at hand. How about reserving the entire block of Grove between Wayne and Columbus for the taxis and give back the half dozen residential parking spots to the folks who deserve them. If anything my loyal followers have learned a thing or two about our street names. Carry on.

Why do residents deserve free public parking?

People will leave the city and property values will decrease if they cannot park on the streets. Next you will be asking why should people breathe air without paying!

Posted on: 2014/7/22 2:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Now everyone settle down and contemplate the issue at hand. How about reserving the entire block of Grove between Wayne and Columbus for the taxis and give back the half dozen residential parking spots to the folks who deserve them. If anything my loyal followers have learned a thing or two about our street names. Carry on.

Why do residents deserve free public parking?

Posted on: 2014/7/22 1:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/7/22 0:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
This is one thing I never understood about Jersey City and its lame taxi stands. Why not just let them roam the city and peeps can just hail them like in all the other five boroughs

Posted on: 2014/7/21 23:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, they are ticketed. The drivers at this point are ignoring the city and are complaining about the hardship it will place on them, they fear losing customers as well as city's fines.

Posted on: 2014/7/21 23:38

Edited by Yvonne on 2014/7/21 23:53:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/4 21:55
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Are they ticketed if they stand on Grove by Columbus and/or if they stand on Columbus? I agree that putting the taxi line on Wayne would be really stupid - and the drivers would have legal justification for partial reimbursement of their medallion.

Posted on: 2014/7/21 23:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Mostly likely rescuelife has a city hall job and wants no accountability from local government. The reason for the phony name.

Posted on: 2014/7/21 22:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/28 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

rescuelife wrote:
I must say while Yvonne never ceases to provide great comic relief with her obsessive behavior, this one really takes the cake for the past few weeks. Firstly, I hope you are calling New Jersey Lenni Lenape Land, yes Yvonne? I believe America was referred to as "Anowarkowa" so please do NOT say America. Also, is Luis Marin not worthy of respect? Why is Henderson more worthy than Marin? Because he came first?

Joking aside, I love how this "issue" is framed as so dire! Really, if someone didn't know who Yvonne was, they would think this is a joke. Yvonne, since your obsessive/compulsive behavior leads you to dwell on things like this, I think you should create a low budget YouTube video about this issue. I'm pretty sure the taxis were moved because of ABATEMENTS!!! Aaaaahhhhh!!! Thank you.

holy crap! you DID make one of your patented videos! THANK YOU! I think your next issue should be about the bike lanes. You must oppose them! Jesus would not allow bike lanes, that's for sure.

Posted on: 2014/7/21 21:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/28 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
I must say while Yvonne never ceases to provide great comic relief with her obsessive behavior, this one really takes the cake for the past few weeks. Firstly, I hope you are calling New Jersey Lenni Lenape Land, yes Yvonne? I believe America was referred to as "Anowarkowa" so please do NOT say America. Also, is Luis Marin not worthy of respect? Why is Henderson more worthy than Marin? Because he came first?

Joking aside, I love how this "issue" is framed as so dire! Really, if someone didn't know who Yvonne was, they would think this is a joke. Yvonne, since your obsessive/compulsive behavior leads you to dwell on things like this, I think you should create a low budget YouTube video about this issue. I'm pretty sure the taxis were moved because of ABATEMENTS!!! Aaaaahhhhh!!! Thank you.

Posted on: 2014/7/21 21:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/2 11:06
From Scenic McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Did they do this to make more room on CC because of the increase traffic from the Pulaski construction?

Posted on: 2014/7/21 21:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
http://youtu.be/wt-YJyT_6XI

Blinky, I spoke to the tax drivers, they are being ticketed for not moving.

Posted on: 2014/7/21 20:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Henderson Street is the true name of what is now sectionally known as Marin Blvd. Downtown Jersey City is a historic zone where historic accuracy and restoration is encouraged so using the name Henderson is a tribute to the man whose nurseries supplied the gardens in the early years of Van Vorst Park in the 1860's on. In any event what is happening with the taxi stand is the more pressing issue. .

whoa... whoa...

Posted on: 2014/7/21 20:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
Is it actually moved? I assumed that it just shifted the head of the line from Columbus around the Corner to Grove and Columbus. The spaces on Wayne are just for the tail of the line which will pull up to the front as cabs leave.

Posted on: 2014/7/21 20:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/4/25 16:16
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I take the Grove Street taxis when I come home very late at night, so that I won't have to walk around at that hour.
Why move the taxi stand? A silly and unsafe move.

Posted on: 2014/7/21 19:47

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/4 12:11
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
To be fair, I called IZOD the Brendan Byrne for a little too long.

Also, I'm just now starting to call it Citi Field, instead of Shea.

Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Henderson Street is the true name of what is now sectionally known as Marin Blvd. Downtown Jersey City is a historic zone where historic accuracy and restoration is encouraged so using the name Henderson is a tribute to the man whose nurseries supplied the gardens in the early years of Van Vorst Park in the 1860's on.
Yep I follow this naming convention myself. Sometimes people get confused when I tell them I'll be grabbing sushi at Ox Restaurant. This is also why I love visiting New Amsterdam, and I'm proud to live in the Town of Bergen, as citizen of New Netherlands. Hup Holland Hup!

It's a tradition in Rhode Island, where things change somewhat slowly and residents have a long memory, to refer to things by what they used to be. E.g.:

"Take a left where the bank used to be, then a right at the Old South Park that's condos now, and then the place you're looking for is in the old mill building where they used to make rubber nipples."

Posted on: 2014/7/21 19:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Henderson Street is the true name of what is now sectionally known as Marin Blvd. Downtown Jersey City is a historic zone where historic accuracy and restoration is encouraged so using the name Henderson is a tribute to the man whose nurseries supplied the gardens in the early years of Van Vorst Park in the 1860's on.
Yep I follow this naming convention myself. Sometimes people get confused when I tell them I'll be grabbing sushi at Ox Restaurant. This is also why I love visiting New Amsterdam, and I'm proud to live in the Town of Bergen, as citizen of New Netherlands. Hup Holland Hup!

It's a tradition in Rhode Island, where things change somewhat slowly and residents have a long memory, to refer to things by what they used to be. E.g.:

"Take a left where the bank used to be, then a right at the Old South Park that's condos now, and then the place you're looking for is in the old mill building where they used to make rubber nipples."

Posted on: 2014/7/21 16:57

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/19 10:01
Group:
Registered Users
agree .. i understand Grove is congested but you need to have the taxi stand by the entrances/exits to the station, not a block away

also agree re: uber

Posted on: 2014/7/21 16:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Posted on: 2014/7/21 15:06

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/25 18:50
From corner of van vorst and vienna
Group:
Registered Users
One word:

Uber

Posted on: 2014/7/21 14:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
Yvonne never fails to be hilarious (I'm going to call the PATH the H&M Tubes from now on), but she's spot-on this time. People come out of the PATH looking for a cab and they have to walk a block and then turn left? Who'd know that without even a sign with directions?

Posted on: 2014/7/21 13:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
I don't think anyone, in the push for historic preservation, has ever suggested using old street names that few people know about. Just imagine the confusion that would ensue if people started telling taxi drivers to take them to Henderson St. or addressing their mail there. Based on your reasoning, this thread should be called "Taxi Stand on Railroad Ave." Anyway, yes, relocating the stand was a stupid idea. Time to bombard the Resident Response Center with calls and emails.

Posted on: 2014/7/21 3:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Henderson Street is the true name of what is now sectionally known as Marin Blvd. Downtown Jersey City is a historic zone where historic accuracy and restoration is encouraged so using the name Henderson is a tribute to the man whose nurseries supplied the gardens in the early years of Van Vorst Park in the 1860's on. In any event what is happening with the taxi stand is the more pressing issue. .

Posted on: 2014/7/21 2:36

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017