Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
126 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 126

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Re: News 12 New Jersey reporter defends controversial comments on 'young black men' -- but quits
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
When President Obama agrees in substance with the news reporter . . .

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/06 ... -day-speech_n_107220.html

You and I know how true this is in the African-American community. We know that more than half of all black children live in single-parent households, a number that has doubled - doubled - since we were children. We know the statistics - that children who grow up without a father are five times more likely to live in poverty and commit crime; nine times more likely to drop out of schools and twenty times more likely to end up in prison. They are more likely to have behavioral problems, or run away from home, or become teenage parents themselves. And the foundations of our community are weaker because of it.

Obama has been a huge failure for the black community. He had a chance to get some great messages across to them, because they respect him and will listen to him. Such as stop having kids at such a young age out of wedlock because you are dooming them.

Instead he decides to make his infamous inflammatory "if I had a son, he'd look like Treyvon Martin" comment. Wasted opportunities.

Absolute number-wise, bet there are more white kids in single parent families than black, but it's the added toxic mix of poverty, joblessness, incarcerated parents that make it a bigger issue for the black community.

Talk and condoms are both cheap. How about shifting some of those tax breaks given to married couples into welfare incentives to have kids only in a stable family environment? Existing welfare is designed as a bare minimum to ensure kids don't starve - and perversely can act as an incentive to have kids. A little extra spend could shift that balance.

Posted on: 2014/7/18 23:29

Re: News 12 New Jersey reporter defends controversial comments on 'young black men' -- but quits
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
well, it's up to individuals to help themselves. neither obama nor reagan nor god can help people if they don't help themselves

it's so convenient to blame the educational system or society, but it truly is a matter of having FUNCTIONAL parents not dysfunction ones who view going to the slammer as a trip to the country club!

Posted on: 2014/7/18 23:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

You and I know how true this is in the African-American community. We know that more than half of all black children live in single-parent households, a number that has doubled - doubled - since we were children. We know the statistics - that children who grow up without a father are five times more likely to live in poverty and commit crime; nine times more likely to drop out of schools and twenty times more likely to end up in prison. They are more likely to have behavioral problems, or run away from home, or become teenage parents themselves. And the foundations of our community are weaker because of it.

Obama has been a huge failure for the black community. He had a chance to get some great messages across to them, because they respect him and will listen to him. Such as stop having kids at such a young age out of wedlock because you are dooming them.

Instead he decides to make his infamous inflammatory "if I had a son, he'd look like Treyvon Martin" comment. Wasted opportunities.

Posted on: 2014/7/18 21:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/7/18 21:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
wasn't jfk jr a drughead....not that i consider use bad unless it hurts others

Posted on: 2014/7/18 20:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
well, bergin was wrong and drew simplistic conclusions. as i said before, it is not just a question of having a father or no father, it is a question of having a functional parent or parents. many criminals do come from homes with two parents

And many good children come from one parent homes...eg. John F. Kennedy Jr.

Posted on: 2014/7/18 18:22
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
well, bergin was wrong and drew simplistic conclusions. as i said before, it is not just a question of having a father or no father, it is a question of having a functional parent or parents. many criminals do come from homes with two parents

Posted on: 2014/7/18 17:47

News 12 New Jersey reporter defends controversial comments on 'young black men' -- but quits
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/natio ... rvation-article-1.1870161

News 12 New Jersey reporter defends controversial comments on 'young black men' that got him suspended

Sean Bergin admits that he went 'beyond the reservation' when he claimed the underlying cause of young black men's 'anti-cop mentality' is fatherless homes, doubling down on racially charged rhetoric by using an expression that many Native Americans consider a derogatory reference to a tragic era when the U.S. government confined their ancestors to reservations.

BY MICHAEL WALSH
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Thursday, July 17, 2014

The New Jersey reporter who sparked a media firestorm when he blamed absent fathers for an "anti-cop mentality" among young African-American men admits he went too far, but said he would do it all again.

"There's no doubt that I went off the reservation," Sean Bergin told Fox News anchor Megyn Kelly, using an idiom many Native Americans consider derogatory. "I made a couple of rogue remarks at the end. I knew what I was doing."

News 12 of New Jersey suspended Bergin after he made the controversial comments about African-American homes while covering the shooting death of 23-year-old Jersey City Police Officer Melvin Santiago for voicing his opinion rather than staying objective.

Soon after, he quit.

Bergin did not apologize for drawing a connection between fatherless young black men and anti-authoritarianism or bringing up race in the first place.

"This has got to stop. Somebody has to have the guts to stand up and point at this and say, 'Hey man, we gotta start talking about this,'" Bergin said.

But some might be surprised the ousted journalist would use a saying like "off the reservation" while trying to clear up accusations of racism.

That expression grew out of a sad chapter in our nation's history when the U.S. government confined Native Americans to reservations and harshly limited their freedoms. In fact, Native Americans could have faced harsh punishments ? or even death ? for leaving reservations.

Nowadays, people use "off the reservation" to convey going beyond the boundaries set by one's leader or group, often without thinking about its origin.

"The issue with 'off the reservation' and similar phrases is that these things are said without any thought. They become a part of the common vernacular," Andrew Bentley wrote in a blog for the nonprofit National Relief Charities back in 2012. He finds the term offensive and is troubled by the way some use it so glibly.

Others think sensitivity to expressions like ?off the reservation? is just another example of the "PC police" running wild.

https://news.google.com/news/rtc?ncl=d ... qfDe2rhMt2l4jM&authuser=0

Posted on: 2014/7/18 16:15

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017