Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
125 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 125

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: One Year In, Jersey City Mayor Eyes More
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Adonis wrote: "I'm not all that excited about a train ride with hundreds of predominantly white males," he said. "But it's something you need to do." If you took that statement and a substituted the word "females" instead of "males" or if you substituted "black" instead of "white" Fulop would have been forced to resign his mayorship. I voted for him and contributed to his campaign but he is turning out to be a real dick. What's led it worse is that he campaigned on a platform that revolved around him being "different" than your average politician. But in the end he is just more of the same. Joke's on me.
The sad thing is he actually was different from a typical politician. For example, he was notoriously responsive to emails, using his blackberry at all hours of the day. You'd never hear this kind of ridiculous nonsense spewing from his mouth when he was a councilman. Obviously he's changed and you're right that the joke is on the suckers like us who voted for him.

Posted on: 2014/6/26 19:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
"I'm not all that excited about a train ride with hundreds of predominantly white males," he said. "But it's something you need to do."

If you took that statement and a substituted the word "females" instead of "males" or if you substituted "black" instead of "white" Fulop would have been forced to resign his mayorship.

I voted for him and contributed to his campaign but he is turning out to be a real dick. What's led it worse is that he campaigned on a platform that revolved around him being "different" than your average politician. But in the end he is just more of the same. Joke's on me.

Posted on: 2014/6/26 19:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
It works with locals. but outside of Hudson County that won't help him. That is how low in the totem Hudson County is.

It's like Christies's delusion that a governor of NJ can get the Republican nomination for president when to a large proportion of the party he is a Northeast liberal RINO.

Sometimes local politics will trump general principals. New Jersey is very suburban voter based, and almost never will vote for a candidate for governor from the three or four largest cities.

Posted on: 2014/6/26 14:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

papadage wrote:
And the funny thing is that it won't work for him. The state will not vote for a one term mayor from Jersey City.

For one thing, it's easier to get elected to a Senate seat that will ship you off to work with 99 other pols than to be the local state chief executive that people need to live with.

Booker had much better image building. Fulop's is too superficial a copy. He comes across as kind of a mild nebbish in person, and that will not fly in a statewide race. Besides the memory of Booker using the local office as a mere stepping stone is too fresh, and resentment toward Booker will fall on him.

Aside from that, Hudson County has no real pull statewide, and much of the rest of the state looks down on us. A mayor of JC can be a big political power, but it is one behind the scenes.

While I agree with you philosophically, you severely underestimate the power of good, early PR. That's all Fulop's done since being in office, straight out of Booker's playbook. Fulop is a democrat in NJ who is on the news all the time. Sheeple, broadly speaking, vote for the name they've heard first and often (as long as it aligns with them in terms of D or R), and everything else secondarily.

This is all so telegraphed it's ridiculous. And the sheeple fall for it hook, line and sinker.

Posted on: 2014/6/26 13:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
And the funny thing is that it won't work for him. The state will not vote for a one term mayor from Jersey City.

For one thing, it's easier to get elected to a Senate seat that will ship you off to work with 99 other pols than to be the local state chief executive that people need to live with.

Booker had much better image building. Fulop's is too superficial a copy. He comes across as kind of a mild nebbish in person, and that will not fly in a statewide race. Besides the memory of Booker using the local office as a mere stepping stone is too fresh, and resentment toward Booker will fall on him.

Aside from that, Hudson County has no real pull statewide, and much of the rest of the state looks down on us. A mayor of JC can be a big political power, but it is one behind the scenes.

Posted on: 2014/6/26 13:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

papadage wrote:
Meh.. edgy bullshit that may work on a few idiots, but shows a lack of discipline and thoughtfulness. Besides, what's progressive about another neo-liberal friend of investment bankers, hedge fund managers, tech billionaires and developers?

But, even knowing this, I would still vote for him over the pre-existing old guard.

Precisely. I've always been of the belief we get the government we deserve. If this is the best we have to offer, it sure says a lot about us.

Posted on: 2014/6/26 13:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
Meh.. edgy bullshit that may work on a few idiots, but shows a lack of discipline and thoughtfulness. Besides, what's progressive about another neo-liberal friend of investment bankers, hedge fund managers, tech billionaires and developers?

But, even knowing this, I would still vote for him over the pre-existing old guard.

Posted on: 2014/6/26 12:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
That's what's so crazy about these guys. His progressive base is white males. But they eat that self loathing up like its soy based ice cream.

Posted on: 2014/6/26 3:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Adonis wrote:
"I'm not all that excited about a train ride with hundreds of predominantly white males," he said. "But it's something you need to do."

Wow. Both racist and sexist in the same sentence. What a douche.

If he doesn't like being around white males so much then get out of downtown JC.

He's pandering to his "progressive" base, they eat that stuff up.

Posted on: 2014/6/26 3:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Mr. Fulop further showed his ambitions on a recent New Jersey Chamber of Commerce train ride to Washington. He didn't walk the aisle with politicians and lobbyists?instead sitting and often looking at his phone, waiting for people to stop by.

ha, dooooooooooouche

what's even worse is this crummy quote sounds contrived as hell

Posted on: 2014/6/26 3:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Wow. Both racist and sexist in the same sentence. What a douche.

If he doesn't like being around white males so much then get out of downtown JC.

Posted on: 2014/6/26 3:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Nothing wrong at all with having higher aspirations. Most of you on here point to that in response to my whining about this. You all miss the main point. Most people who are given a promotion EARN it. Both Fulop and Booker haven't done jack sh*t to earn their promotions. How about they stick around for a while and actually make a difference before the lemmings move them up the ladder.

I'm a Fulop voter and very much regret it. Our boy sure has done a lot for that murder rate eh? Sure done a lot for crime generally eh? Came out the gate strong and the fizzled out immediately eh?

And again, you fools in Hudson County will carry him through the primaries for governor. How about holding him accountable? He's accomplished almost NOTHING of substance from his campaign platform.

Total Booker. Touring Washington DC and doing everything except HIS F*CKING JOB.

Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
LOL having aspirations is a problem?

I'm sure all of you would just turn down a promotion at work, right? You're only there to do the job you're hired to do?

Give it a rest. Since he became Mayor, he stopped the re-eval, several new developments have come in, there's been lots of police reform, he's taken on the Port Authority...

My criticism of Christie is not that he has aspirations...it's that he is a criminal, thief, corrupt piece of crap. He can aspire to Pope for all I care, but his only real aspiration these days is to not get raped in jail where he will rot for years.

Fulop would be a great governor. God forbid Steve Sweeney becomes governor the state would be destroyed.

Posted on: 2014/6/25 18:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:

I'm sure all of you would just turn down a promotion at work, right? You're only there to do the job you're hired to do?

Give it a rest. Since he became Mayor, he stopped the re-eval, several new developments have come in, there's been lots of police reform, he's taken on the Port Authority...

My criticism of Christie is not that he has aspirations...it's that he is a criminal, thief, corrupt piece of crap. He can aspire to Pope for all I care, but his only real aspiration these days is to not get raped in jail where he will rot for years.

Fulop would be a great governor. God forbid Steve Sweeney becomes governor the state would be destroyed.

Wasn't it Fulop who ordered the traffic jam from the port to spite the Port Authority? Very Ft. Lee Bridgelike (except Christie didn't order that, of course). And by law, towns need revals periodically, he's breaking the law by fiat-because he doesn't want to face the political fall out of what a reval will do. Gutless (in this instance). All a reval will do is rebalance the tax burden, the total amount of taxes don't rise. Is he stalling to make it an issue for the next mayor to avoid the heat? For sure.

Posted on: 2014/6/25 17:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
There a lot about Fulop I don't like, but there's a lot about every politician I don't like. Surprisingly enough no one shares my exact views on everything.

I'm not sure what other candidate I was supposed to vote for instead of Fulop that would have been better.

Posted on: 2014/6/25 17:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/6/25 17:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users

I am not sure what is worse. That voters always end up choosing the lesser of two evils(which is no choice nor democracy in my opinion)......or that the voters after the elections don't hold the winner accountable.

Those vested interests who give money always seem to do well in keeping politicians in line. Who would have thunk it! :(

Too bad Fulop won't be in JC for long....given more time he would have shown Healy a thing or two about being a terrible politician.

Posted on: 2014/6/25 16:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Buyer's remorse indeed. And you fools will all vote him in as well.

Fulop voter here. No remorse. I thought it was obvious that he had higher aspirations, when he was running for mayor. I'm sorry, it didn't take a genius to figure that out. But if I had to choose between Fulop and Healy, I'd choose Fulop again!

Posted on: 2014/6/25 16:29

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/7/2 14:06
From Marion
Group:
Registered Users
I called this one too.

Anyone who thinks a Dem or Republican cares about a citizen 1 iota is simply brainwashed.

He cares about himself and by extension the kingmakers on the inside of the political circle who can feed his narcissistic desire to rule.

When are people going to wake up and demand that America fulfill its promise?

Posted on: 2014/6/25 16:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/24 20:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
I will gladly take the credit for calling this one loooong ago. Pulling a full on Booker! Hell, he's making Booker look good, at least Booker was around for a little longer, but not much.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm very disappointed in Fulop outside of some of his "soft" efforts (namely, getting some good publicity for JC). He's mostly been resume padding and not effecting any real change. That said, I'd still vote for him for Gov in the hopes that he would finally turn the screws on the pitiful PATH system since Christie doesn't seem to give a damn about it.

Posted on: 2014/6/25 16:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
I will gladly take the credit for calling this one loooong ago. Pulling a full on Booker! Hell, he's making Booker look good, at least Booker was around for a little longer, but not much.

Posted on: 2014/6/25 15:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Will those who criticize Governor Christie about his supposed POTUS aspirations (in his second term) also criticize Mayor Fulop about his gubernatorial aspirations in the first year of his first term?

We'll see I suppose if the standards are held equally to both.

The problem with Christie isn't merely that he has high aspirations. That's fine. His problem is he hasn't done anything remotely worthy of being considered for President. He has been in office for many years, yet NJ's economic recovery ranks 47th out of 50 states. The only thing he had going for him is he is very likeable (IMO). But that recently went out the window, as folks are well aware.

With that said, Fulop isn't doing very much of substance either, as far as I can tell. He's trying to pad his resume with meaningless "progressive" credentials, such as the Hudson County bike share that is doomed for financial failure (but he won't be around long enough to see it).

Even worse, he is trying to sell out the citizens of Jersey City to his campaign donors over at McCabe/CarePoint by aggressively trying to hand over JC's ambulance service to them. This has been well documented in other threads, but the bottom line is such a switch could result in financial ruin for many residents, as McCabe ambulances are out of network for all insurances and they will direct patients to CarePoint hospitals which are among the most expensive in the country.

For these reasons, I would not vote for Christie for President nor Fulop for Governor if these elections were tomorrow.

Silly and inaccurate response, (as regards Christie) given his bi-partisan successes on health care contributions, pension reform, tenure reform, 2% municipal tax cap, changing drug offenders from jail time to rehab, etc etc. As far as the economics of the state, there only is so much a red Governor can do in a blue state with Obama driving the national bus. But faced with a blue state Legislature his bi-partisan successes are an incredible accomplishment.

Now, about the successes on a state level that a former Chicago community organizer did in his only term as Senator-what exactly did he accomplish to ready him to be POTUS? Er, nothing apparently!

Posted on: 2014/6/25 15:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Will those who criticize Governor Christie about his supposed POTUS aspirations (in his second term) also criticize Mayor Fulop about his gubernatorial aspirations in the first year of his first term?

The problem with Christie isn't merely that he has high aspirations. That's fine. His problem is he hasn't done anything remotely worthy of being considered for President. He has been in office for many years, yet NJ's economic recovery ranks 47th out of 50 states. The only thing he had going for him is he is very likeable (IMO). But that recently went out the window, as folks are well aware.

With that said, Fulop isn't doing very much of substance either, as far as I can tell. He's trying to pad his resume with meaningless "progressive" credentials, such as the Hudson County bike share that is doomed for financial failure (but he won't be around long enough to see it).

Even worse, he is trying to sell out the citizens of Jersey City to his campaign donors over at McCabe/CarePoint by aggressively trying to hand over JC's ambulance service to them. This has been well documented in other threads, but the bottom line is such a switch could result in financial ruin for many residents, as McCabe ambulances are out of network for all insurances and they will direct patients to CarePoint hospitals which are among the most expensive in the country.

For these reasons, I would not vote for Christie for President nor Fulop for Governor if these elections were tomorrow.

Posted on: 2014/6/25 15:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/6/25 14:44

One Year In, Jersey City Mayor Eyes More
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
http://online.wsj.com/articles/one-ye ... ayor-eyes-more-1403663811

Jersey City Mayor Steven Fulop has visited the White House three times and publicly criticized both New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio since taking office last July.

Mr. Fulop, 37 years old, has attended political events across the state and met with prominent donors and state senators. He appeared with former President Bill Clinton at a fundraiser. He raised more than $200,000 for Newark Mayor-Elect Ras Baraka.

And he has scheduled scores of meetings with reporters.

Earlier
Hard-Fought Election Raises Hopes for Jersey City Public Schools 6/9/2014
Jersey City Mayor Picks an Unlikely Target 2/26/2014

Records of his daily schedule this year reviewed by The Wall Street Journal, along with conversations with political observers across New Jersey, suggest that Mr. Fulop, in his first year as mayor, may have more on his mind than leading the state's second-largest city.

They suggest he may be cultivating a national profile and, as he zigzags across the state, may be eyeing the void that will be left when Mr. Christie leaves office in 2017 or before.

"You rarely get someone who moves this quickly," said Patrick Murray, the director of Monmouth University Polling Institute. "He's not hiding his ambition at all and is really going outside the traditional power structure."

The former Goldman Sachs GS +0.01% employee who served in the Marines, a prolific runner who recently posed in shorts on a weightlifting bench for a magazine, is cagey about his future.

"If I told you today that I'm not thinking about being governor, you won't believe me," he said. "If I told you today that I am, it's doing a disservice to the people of Jersey City."

In his first year, Mr. Fulop hired two politicos?former Gov. Jim McGreevey and high-powered political public-relations executive Bob Sommer?as City Hall aides.

Mr. McGreevey, who earns $110,000, is leading a prisoner re-entry program praised by Mr. Christie and drug advocates. "He is hands on, sending emails at 5 in the morning, and is really committed to this issue," Mr. McGreevey said of Mr. Fulop. "He has an incredible work ethic, is data-driven and really cares very deeply about this."

Mr. Fulop said he sometimes relies on Mr. McGreevey's political acumen and connections. Mr. Sommer, who makes $15,000 a year, said he develops policy initiatives and communication strategies.

To be sure, his first-year schedule has its share of local events. He appeared at local Easter egg hunts, birthday parties for elderly city residents and the opening of a downtown yogurt shop.

The Jersey City mayor has also met with influential figures outside New Jersey, including Seattle Mayor Ed Murray, former Bloomberg administration official Kevin Sheekey and Harvey Schwartz, Goldman Sachs's chief financial officer. Mr. Fulop said the meetings were all to discuss improving Jersey City or luring business there.

Meanwhile, he is pitching an improved Jersey City. Aides tout a 14-page glossy book showing first-year accomplishments, including lower crime and an expanded police force.

He has heralded construction of the city's tallest residential building and promised to open the city's largest park in 2015. He signed a paid sick-leave bill before Mr. de Blasio did in New York and has courted development outside his city's gleaming waterfront area. Mr. Fulop said he wants to brand Jersey City as the "best mid-sized city in America."

"From my personal perspective, he's on top of everything and is very proactive," said Mitch Hersh, chief executive of Mack-Cali, a real-estate firm that' has done business in the city.

Mr. Hersh credited Mr. Fulop with successfully attracting job-creating companies with tax incentives and abatements. Those policies have come under fire from some Democrats and liberal think tank New Jersey Policy Perspective, for being too aggressive and giving too many incentives to wealthy firms.

Mr. Fulop said the state's policies sometimes were too generous, but his job is to help Jersey City.

The mayor doesn't control the city's education system, but he has vowed to help improve public schools that remain under state watch for weak performance. He has struggled to enact a universal pre-K plan. But dropout rates and scores have improved in recent years.

"I had a mom last week tell me she was moving out of the city because of the school system," Mr. Fulop said. "They are certainly a problem, but we are working to make them better."

And simple governing has sometimes troubled him; streets were woefully unprepared for this year's rash of snowstorms because the city ran out of salt.

"There's always something to improve on," he said.

Still, nothing has shaken his confidence andwillingness to take on political foes as he enters a second year. After saying Mr. Christie's office canceled meetings with him because he declined to endorse the governor, he says they are now being nicer because they are "overcompensating" for actions before the George Washington Bridge scandal.

Records show he has met several times with Christie officials, including a former Department of Transportation commissioner and appointee to the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. A spokesman for the governor disputes that politics ever factored in how Mr. Fulop was treated.

Mr. Fulop further showed his ambitions on a recent New Jersey Chamber of Commerce train ride to Washington. He didn't walk the aisle with politicians and lobbyists?instead sitting and often looking at his phone, waiting for people to stop by.

He left the train for a run, private parties and returned to a hotel bar where New Jersey crowds congregate for hours of drinking.

He soon left, citing early-morning meetings with Washington political reporters.

Write to Heather Haddon at heather.haddon@wsj.com

Posted on: 2014/6/25 14:23

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017