Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
117 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 117

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: How will new high rises affect the rental market?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

papadage wrote:
Too bad it's all Tacos, Pizza and Burgers.

Disagree. The places I'm referring to include:

Word bookstore/cafe
Roman Nose
Monty's public house
downtown yogurt
two boots
left bank burger bar
3rd and vine
union republic
the raven boutique
pig and pepper
tittlemouse and co. consignment
gia gelato
Merseles studios

...and that's just off the top of my head

I will also add that i think the new rentals will affect the brownstone/old construction rentals differently because of one word: amenities. The "charm" of 1930s electrical systems in brownstones wears off quick and isn't necessarily compensated for with those cute exposed brick walls. Compare that to a place with washer/dryer/dishwasher in unit, elevator, gym in the building, skyline views, closer to transit options, etc. and I don't think people are going to pay the same rent for say a 1500 sq. foot brownstone apt. in the Village vs. a 1500 sq. foot (or even 800 square foot) luxury condo.

Posted on: 2014/6/26 12:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
I work in the insurance industry, and several large brokerages, reinurance operations and carriers are also opening up shop at the waterfront, or like my company, are already in midtown or lower Manhattan, or both. While they do not pay quite as well as investment banks, they still pay upper class salaries. I know a lot of colleagues looking to move into JC for the QoL and easy access to work. This will help stabilize any down pressure to rents from finance busts.

Posted on: 2014/6/25 18:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/21 14:20
Group:
Registered Users
yeah i agree, all those are luxury rentals that they will price at the higher end of the price range, just like the monaco towers, and they still rented out.

There maybe some short lived 1 month free incentive but dont expect much price changes.

The downtown jc rental market being so close to nyc will only see a a material impact from wall street / economy tanking like during 2007-2009. Rent went down 10-20% during that time, but then zapped right back higher as the financials stabilized.

Posted on: 2014/6/25 15:14

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/25 18:50
From corner of van vorst and vienna
Group:
Registered Users
Really appreciate all these thoughtful replies -- thank you.

Posted on: 2014/6/25 15:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/26 15:30
Group:
Registered Users
With the WTC Freedom Tower coming online this year I would expect an increase in demand for the luxury apartments near the PATH. Typically these new highrise developers will offer attractive incentives to get people in and then jack up the rents after the first year. I would predict that overall rents will continue to rise in proportion to NYC/BK rents.

Posted on: 2014/6/25 14:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
Too bad it's all Tacos, Pizza and Burgers.

Posted on: 2014/6/25 14:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SteveWilson29 wrote:
Quote:

Binky wrote:
Just for perspective: JSQ has been up and coming for well over 10 years.

You've seen how much downtown has changed, not only in the last 10 years, but in the last 2-3. I wouldn't be so quick to discount the claims, even if they are a bit old.

Yeah once the change starts it gains momentum. The number of new stores and restaurants opening on Newark Ave this year is like double the rate from last year. Same with overall # of restaurant openings in DTJC.

Posted on: 2014/6/25 13:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/5 16:38
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Binky wrote:

You've seen how much downtown has changed, not only in the last 10 years, but in the last 2-3. I wouldn't be so quick to discount the claims, even if they are a bit old.

Posted on: 2014/6/25 3:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
Yeah, but ground has actually broken on one large development in the actual Square itself, with two more starting before next year. It will remake the area in less than four years.

As a person who lives in the neighborhood, even the last two years have brought a different type of resident. More NY employees, more hipsters. A bigger gay community. A few artists even.

Posted on: 2014/6/25 2:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/6/25 1:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/30 14:17
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Rent increases will slow down for a while as new buildings open, but I doubt they fall any time soon. The new buildings will mainly draw new residents to Jersey City rather than pull from current residents, though there will be some churn, but that includes people who otherwise would have moved to elsewhere in Jersey City.

Posted on: 2014/6/25 1:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
I think the increased supply will lower rents, actually - but not across the board. I think the luxury condos will remain similarly priced to stay competitive with each other. But I think that older construction, like brownstones and smaller residential units (like 2-3 family homes), will go down in price (at least for rental units). When we found our place 4 years ago, our realtor told us that many of her clients prefer new construction only, I imagine the # of people moving here with that view is only going to increase.

Personally, I know far more people with the exact opposite view, preferring the older, "warmer", brownstone type neighborhoods. To each their own, but I don't think your projection will be borne out.

Posted on: 2014/6/25 1:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hitchcock wrote:
But what about all those high rises being built? Will they wind up lowering rents?

Based on what I am seeing, I would only expect the opposite. The extra capacity being added is priced higher and higher, leading to an overall rise in rents for all of DTJC. The additional housing stock (supply) is not going to lead to lower rents because the demand (people being priced out of Manhattan, or Brooklyn, plus new arrivals to the area) has continued to rise.

Posted on: 2014/6/25 1:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I think the increased supply will lower rents, actually - but not across the board. I think the luxury condos will remain similarly priced to stay competitive with each other. But I think that older construction, like brownstones and smaller residential units (like 2-3 family homes), will go down in price (at least for rental units). When we found our place 4 years ago, our realtor told us that many of her clients prefer new construction only, I imagine the # of people moving here with that view is only going to increase.

Posted on: 2014/6/25 1:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

hitchcock wrote:
Our rent keeps going up, and we're not sure how much longer we can afford to stay in downtown JC.

But what about all those high rises being built? Will they wind up lowering rents?

Doubtful. We're not a closed market, there's pressure from across the country and world on the NYC Metro housing market, building some more units in that context will not lower local prices any more than building roads reduces traffic.

Buy in the Heights or some other upcoming nabe if you can afford to, buying is the only way to stay stable in a moving market. All the renting v. buying calculations rarely take getting priced out of your neighborhood into account.

We are about 12 years behind Manhattan in terms of pricing. If you want to see where rents and housing prices in JC will be in 12 years look at current rents and housing prices in Manhattan.

Posted on: 2014/6/25 0:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
Yep. J SQ is very up and coming, and within a few years will be full of real food and shopping options. Buy Just south of it, between Baldwin and Kennedy, or rent if you must. But if you want to remain anywhere desirable in town, be prepared to be invested.

Posted on: 2014/6/24 23:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/10 21:37
From The Heights.
Group:
Registered Users
Nope. Most of the new building are just luxury. Only option is to move further west. Don't be afraid of moving to the Heights or J.sq, I have been seeing load of people moving into the Heights.

Posted on: 2014/6/24 23:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

hitchcock wrote:
Our rent keeps going up, and we're not sure how much longer we can afford to stay in downtown JC.

Doubtful. We're not a closed market, there's pressure from across the country and world on the NYC Metro housing market, building some more units in that context will not lower local prices any more than building roads reduces traffic.

Buy in the Heights or some other upcoming nabe if you can afford to, buying is the only way to stay stable in a moving market. All the renting v. buying calculations rarely take getting priced out of your neighborhood into account.

Posted on: 2014/6/24 21:57

How will new high rises affect the rental market?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/25 18:50
From corner of van vorst and vienna
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/6/24 21:24

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017