Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
135 user(s) are online (118 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 135

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: As American Cities Grow, New Urbanism Must Be Inclusive
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Forced income diversity seems weird. Isn't that the opposite of free market?

I guess you never heard of Chelsea NYC where folks make six figures and some make 15k. NYC has tons of neighborhoods where newbies come with $$$$$$ and Public Housing complexes are steps away. Williamsburg is another example, where some of the Hasidic Jews and Latinos are low earners and some are even on public assistant.

Posted on: 2014/6/18 17:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
'Still, more must be done to create better texture through income diversity in our cities.'

Can someone translate wtf Fulop means by this?

Posted on: 2014/6/18 17:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/22 21:14
Group:
Registered Users
And by your logic, your propensity to want to do nothing about it is to maintain and exacerbate the status quo. When a wrong has been perpetuated as was the case here by the US government, there's often a corresponding remedy. Segregation (racial and economic) has actually gotten worse, not better. And in your deliberate nonfeasance, it's a way to "keep that demographic on the Republican/GOP bandwagon." I moved here in part for diversity (racial/ethnicity, LGBT, income) and proximity to NYC as I grew up in a practically entirely white setting until middle/high school and didn't want to replicate my suburban upbringing.

http://www.epi.org/publication/modern-segregation/

Posted on: 2014/6/18 17:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VanVorster wrote:
For anyone who doesn't know, the ghetto was created by U.S. public policy (not due to so called innate undesirable traits of blacks/Hispanics) which is why many urban places are in the morass they are.

And here we are with another public policy from Fulop that will make it all better - another public policy that will force people to live in a place that they otherwise would not - all for very dubious questionable societal benefits.

It's just another policy to keep that demographic on the Democratic bandwagon.

Posted on: 2014/6/18 16:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nemobeatz wrote:
+20 the racism/ classism on here is mind-boggling sometimes.

Quote:

VanVorster wrote:
+1 Shakatah and JPHurst. I am not well-versed on the issue but from just the cursory reading I've done, mixed-income neighborhoods tend to be more vibrant/interesting and have intangible benefits (e.g., those on the lower income spectrum living in proximity to those more affluent often become more determined to improve their lot in life, have access to better schools/services and are more apt to take care of their surroundings than if they are consigned to bad neighborhoods with deficient services, more affluent well-to-do children get to not live in their cocoons/bubbles and get exposure to those not like themselves and it can alleviate entrenched inequality to some extent). For anyone who doesn't know, the ghetto was created by U.S. public policy (not due to so called innate undesirable traits of blacks/Hispanics) which is why many urban places are in the morass they are. I also categorically refute the notion that if you're a hedge fund guy in Paulus Hook making beaucoup bucks you automatically possess fine moral character and admirable traits, and if you're a single mother social worker/office manager making $45K living in B-L, that you lack character, admirable traits and that one shouldn't want their children to associate with the kids of the woman illustrated. And Heights, it's "camaraderie"

http://www.useful-community-developme ... mixed-income-housing.html

http://billmoyers.com/2014/05/28/ta-n ... ow-we-created-the-ghetto/

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/a ... -jewish-exception/273592/

Honey child don't sweat it, most of these comments are coming from white trash who grew up poor, this is a way for them to feel better about themselves, because if they were so fab why the #OOPS# are they here in JC. Mixed hoods rock, that's why NYC rocks and JC is a wannabe.

Posted on: 2014/6/18 16:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/14 15:19
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
+20 the racism/ classism on here is mind-boggling sometimes.

Quote:

VanVorster wrote:
+1 Shakatah and JPHurst. I am not well-versed on the issue but from just the cursory reading I've done, mixed-income neighborhoods tend to be more vibrant/interesting and have intangible benefits (e.g., those on the lower income spectrum living in proximity to those more affluent often become more determined to improve their lot in life, have access to better schools/services and are more apt to take care of their surroundings than if they are consigned to bad neighborhoods with deficient services, more affluent well-to-do children get to not live in their cocoons/bubbles and get exposure to those not like themselves and it can alleviate entrenched inequality to some extent). For anyone who doesn't know, the ghetto was created by U.S. public policy (not due to so called innate undesirable traits of blacks/Hispanics) which is why many urban places are in the morass they are. I also categorically refute the notion that if you're a hedge fund guy in Paulus Hook making beaucoup bucks you automatically possess fine moral character and admirable traits, and if you're a single mother social worker/office manager making $45K living in B-L, that you lack character, admirable traits and that one shouldn't want their children to associate with the kids of the woman illustrated. And Heights, it's "camaraderie"

Posted on: 2014/6/18 15:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VanVorster wrote:

+1

Posted on: 2014/6/18 15:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/22 21:14
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/6/18 15:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/11 16:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
Fortunately for Fulop, being a young man, his stream is probably powerful enough to put out the fire in his pants.

The new urbanism is in large part dependent on attracting people from the old suburbanism (empty nesters, for example) or convincing young people to stay en ville with conveniences (such as easy commute, interestings restos, etc.) rather than follow their parents' behavior. Personally, I can't imagine a bigger deal-killer than the significant presence of poor blacks and hispanics as neighbors and especially in schools.

When people extol the fabulousness of DTJC diversity, I can't help believe that they mean Indians from Wharton and Chinese from MIT, not blacks from Rahway.

CdeCoincy, do you feel the same way about Blacks from Wharton or MIT? I'm trying to determine if you are just a bigot, "elitist", or both. And by "elitist" I mean wanna be elitist because I suspect that you probably have no clue what it really means to be elite.

Posted on: 2014/6/18 15:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I think diversity of all kinds is a good thing, but forced diversity of any kind isn't always a useful solution. Forced income diversity seems weird. Isn't that the opposite of free market?

Posted on: 2014/6/18 14:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
So now we are supposed to celebrate "income diversity?"

What a crock. No thanks.

But as always, the sense of entitlement coming from certain sectors of society is overwhelming. Why would anyone think that all residents are entitled to live in all neighborhoods?

Posted on: 2014/6/18 14:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
Quote:

Personally, I can't imagine a bigger deal-killer than the significant presence of poor blacks and hispanics as neighbors and especially in schools.

Personally, the biggest deal killer for me would be to have neighbors who think along those lines.

Your avatar speaks for itself.

Posted on: 2014/6/18 14:06
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Personally, I can't imagine a bigger deal-killer than the significant presence of poor blacks and hispanics as neighbors and especially in schools.

Personally, the biggest deal killer for me would be to have neighbors who think along those lines.

Posted on: 2014/6/18 14:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Fortunately for Fulop, being a young man, his stream is probably powerful enough to put out the fire in his pants.

The new urbanism is in large part dependent on attracting people from the old suburbanism (empty nesters, for example) or convincing young people to stay en ville with conveniences (such as easy commute, interestings restos, etc.) rather than follow their parents' behavior. Personally, I can't imagine a bigger deal-killer than the significant presence of poor blacks and hispanics as neighbors and especially in schools.

When people extol the fabulousness of DTJC diversity, I can't help believe that they mean Indians from Wharton and Chinese from MIT, not blacks from Rahway.

Posted on: 2014/6/18 13:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Please please do not create mixed income neighborhoods. Keeping people in groups of the same tax bracket and educational backround will ensure a better comradery among the community and the commerce district will be able to better serve it's clientele.

Posted on: 2014/6/18 12:07
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
i drove down martin luther king boulevard and saw some new buildings which look nice and which i think were built with affordable housing funds. what a waste. i think the goal should be to get those people out of the ghetto and into better environs where people don't just hang out on the streeets.

since school is not yet out for the summer, i can not understand why so many young people were out in the streets

Posted on: 2014/6/18 2:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
this is mostly a load of crap. the new administration has been generous at giving out tax abatement for "luxury" housing and now hotels. anything else is just recycling the mediocre efforts at best at what was done before. the pr is really good though.

Posted on: 2014/6/18 2:01

As American Cities Grow, New Urbanism Must Be Inclusive
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
As American Cities Grow, New Urbanism Must Be Inclusive

By Mayor Steve Fulop
The Huffington Post
06/16/2014 2:59 pm EDT

Mention affordable housing and too often it conjures up the thought of failed housing programs from the '50s and '60s. Not only does this fly in the face of reality of what's happening in our cities today but it does a disservice to the residents of recently built affordable homes. Simply stated, affordable housing means bringing income diversity to neighborhoods, rather than isolating communities from one another.

Traditionally, affordable housing was something that was only built in certain areas -- typically less desirable -- of most cities. However, it's important that all residents, including working families, enjoy the opportunity to live throughout city neighborhoods.

Let's remember, cities across the country have reversed decades of population decline and are now growing. Once places people couldn't wait to leave, cities are now where more and more people want to live, work, and play. This isn't an accident. The high-rise apartments and closely located brownstones that represent many American cities are now recognized as integral to community living.

What's more, long drives from remote suburbs to offices in cities have taken a toll on commuters. Urban dwellers are finding there is a correlation between shorter commutes and happiness, and this realization is helping to make cities across the United States a focus for growth.

Populations in cities have reversed decades of loss by growing in the last 10 years. Coming out of the Great Recession, the number of urban residents has rapidly increased. And these residents are likely to have a better of quality of life. In fact, a recent book by Charles Montgomery, Happy City: Transforming Our Lives Through Urban Design, argues the way cities are built powerfully influences moods and behavior and, done correctly, will lead to happier lives.

And in rebuilding our cities, they must be not just for the wealthy but for working families as well. This new urbanism must be inclusive. That's why developing policies to ensure economically diverse neighborhoods is so important. In Jersey City, for instance, we created an Affordable Housing Trust Fund policy that establishes criteria for and incentivizes the development of affordable housing throughout Jersey City, particularly in areas where affordable housing has been under-developed.

The new policy also creates an independent project application checklist and review committee for the distribution of funds, thereby ensuring a transparent process. The checklist for funding to build affordable housing awards points for projects based on certain criteria, such as location, project readiness, diversity in ownership or management, and developer's ability to engage minority-owned businesses. More points are awarded to those projects that are to be built in areas where affordable housing has been under-developed. Additionally, Jersey City now requires that any market-rate, commercial or industrial project that receives a five-year tax abatement must contribute to the Affordable Housing Trust Fund.

The policy is working as projects are underway in many City neighborhoods that include affordable units -- for both sale and rent.

Still, more must be done to create better texture through income diversity in our cities. There's no denying that affordable housing policies can be controversial where powerful interests debate one another. But there can be no denying the upswing in urban living must be inclusive. The social fabric of our cities is a major part of building a Happy City.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/steven- ... ies-grow-n_b_5499929.html

Posted on: 2014/6/17 21:41

« 1 2 3 (4)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017