Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
147 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 147

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: What should I do about a tenant using JCFD to harass me?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

1stStGuy wrote:

I ask this not to be sarcastic, but because I actually don't know the answer: What prevents you from not renewing the lease? Isn't there a way that you can choose not to have them stay?

You can't force a non-commercial tenant out of an apartment when the lease is up. You can raise the rent, etc. (assuming it is not rent controlled), but you can't force them to leave.

If you have a relative you can move them in - I think.

I gave up on property out of dtjc years ago. Yuppies treasure their credit rating as much as their portfolios.

Posted on: 2014/6/17 12:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

1stStGuy wrote:

I ask this not to be sarcastic, but because I actually don't know the answer: What prevents you from not renewing the lease? Isn't there a way that you can choose not to have them stay?

You can't force a non-commercial tenant out of an apartment when the lease is up. You can raise the rent, etc. (assuming it is not rent controlled), but you can't force them to leave.

Posted on: 2014/6/17 12:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/18 23:27
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
The tenants are one thing, they're losers who make life intolerable for the other tenants, but inherited loser tenants are part of the real estate game.

Posted on: 2014/6/17 11:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

The tenants are one thing, they're losers who make life intolerable for the other tenants, but inherited loser tenants are part of the real estate game. However JCFD giving me this crap for no apparent reason smells real bad....

I don't think the FD is the problem here. The problem is the tenant.

I'd talk to your lawyer, see if there is a way you can get them out.

Posted on: 2014/6/17 3:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
I think a JC landlord Blog/forum is a great idea! I'd like to join too!!!

Posted on: 2014/6/17 2:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MDM wrote:
I have fire extinguishers in the apartments or common areas of the hallways. I replace them every five years and check the pressure gauges on them every now and again.

The State of NJ checks the smoke detectors when DCA inspects every 5 years. Maybe you should give the DCA a call?

Sounds to me like you have a sociopath on your hands... they don't care about truth or consequences of their actions.

The tenants are one thing, they're losers who make life intolerable for the other tenants, but inherited loser tenants are part of the real estate game. However JCFD giving me this crap for no apparent reason smells real bad. I cannot believe they give these bullshit citations as a matter of course every time they walk into a building.

MDM, there doesn't appear to be a real estate/landlording group in JC, wanna start one? I read a RE blog/forum, but most of the folks are in places you can buy a single family for $20k and actually choose not to renew a lease. Our problems are quite different.

Posted on: 2014/6/17 2:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I have fire extinguishers in the apartments or common areas of the hallways. I replace them every five years and check the pressure gauges on them every now and again.

The State of NJ checks the smoke detectors when DCA inspects every 5 years. Maybe you should give the DCA a call?

Sounds to me like you have a sociopath on your hands... they don't care about truth or consequences of their actions.

Posted on: 2014/6/17 1:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MDM wrote:
If you ever accepted so much as a nickle from the BF, he is automatically considered a tenant under NJ law. If you haven't taken money from him.. don't do it.

They have either paid in cash or money order. How can it be from him? What if he lies and says he handed it to me? Does that count?

Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
I don't know if I would blame the FD for anything, they are bound to look into any complaint they receive.

I've owned multifamilies here for 17 years and have never seen anything like this:

Violation #02 SUBMIT TEST REPORT FOR CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTOR ALARM DEVICES

Not the CO detector was not working, they say I'm in violation for not submitting an annual report to them! And there were 5 other BS "violations" just like that about ALL the safety equipment, which was ALL in perfect working order. This smells like harassment to me.

Posted on: 2014/6/17 0:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
If you ever accepted so much as a nickle from the BF, he is automatically considered a tenant under NJ law. If you haven't taken money from him.. don't do it.

Posted on: 2014/6/16 23:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
I am on board with Va2015. If the live-in boyfriend is not on the lease, you have grounds to evict. This slug is using your utilities not to mention the wear & tear on the premises for nothing.

He is using intimidation to get over on you, imho.

I also agree with neverleft about filing a harassment complaint. I don't know if I would blame the FD for anything, they are bound to look into any complaint they receive. I would definitely do the one against the tenant. I would also enlist the police in this also, filing a harrassment charge. Any paper trail you make will make your case if push comes to shove.

Posted on: 2014/6/16 23:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/25 7:33
Group:
Registered Users
This stuff infuriates me as well. It is an absolute abuse of power. DO NOT let it continue.
If you are interested in hearing a similar story, send me a private message.

Posted on: 2014/6/16 22:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Try the JC RRC ( Resident Response Center) you can do it anonymously or not.

http://www.cityofjerseycity.com/administration.aspx?id=1204

---> ?Online Help Center? -> ?Make a Request? -> Under Category select ?General? click ?Find Request Type?

Here are two from the list that pops up?.

Complaints Against City Agencies .. Select this request type making a complaint about a city agency.

Harassment? Select this request type to report harassment

Posted on: 2014/6/16 21:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
You refer to him as your tenant's boyfriend. Is he on the lease? If not, can you use that as leverage? And out of morbid curiosity, do you have any idea why he is messing with you?

Posted on: 2014/6/16 21:08

What should I do about a tenant using JCFD to harass me?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
A tenant's live in boyfriend called a buddy on the JCFD to come and "inspect" my multifamily. I got 7 citations, all but one are BS requiring me to submit "tests" of my smoke and fire alarms in the unit and halls. The other was for that tenant's crap in the hallways, which I had repeatedly told them to remove. And they are demanding a full inspection, presumably of the other units and the boiler room.

I've got nothing to hide but this gets me furious, and I'm tempted to call my councilmember about this bullshit. Has anyone even ever heard of requiring submitted tests for safety equipment in under 5 unit noncommercial residential? My favorite is the fire extinguisher citation. Hallway extinguishers are NOT required by law, but I provide them since I'm not an idiot. But then I'm apparently required to spend more than they costs every year to have them inspected.

PS: this same clown sued me for a slip and fall just after he moved in, 1st thing I heard about it was from lawyers 2 months later.

Posted on: 2014/6/16 20:01

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017