Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
90 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 90

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: 95 percent of the people in Jersey City are good and five percent are bad...
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:

As a law abiding resident, I want minimum interaction with the police. I'm prepared to be treated curtly IF that leaves them time to concentrate on the 5%. This type of breakdown 95/5 supports my feeling that even the most petty crimes - fare jumping, quality of life violations, etc. should not be ignored. Grab someone for jumping a turnstile, and you may have grabbed a mugger, thief, a dead beat parent, etc. also.

Of course! I would guess that most people do not really want that much interaction with police (and, ideally, little or none is ever necessary). But, when interacting with civilians, LEO (especially local police!) have a duty to do so civilly and with respect. Their uniform is not a carte blanche permission to act like bullies and do as they please. To Serve and Protect... those words sound quite hollow some times.

Posted on: 2014/6/12 16:07

Re: 95 percent of the people in Jersey City are good and five percent are bad...
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/21 20:29
Group:
Registered Users
I think labeling 5% of the population as "bad" is not right. There are bad people and people who make bad decisions. I think committing crime, especially non-violent crime, does not make you a bad person necessarily. That seems like a very sloppy and juvenile way to think and give direction.

Posted on: 2014/6/12 15:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/31 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JC_rider wrote:
5% is a lot of bad guys (12500 out of 250K JC population). We have about 1045 cops so roughly 12 bad guys for 1 cop ratio.

So what Cowan is saying, we have about 50 bad cops. Seems about right

Posted on: 2014/6/12 15:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
[quote]
user1111 wrote:
Nicolas Fernandes/The Jersey Journal

Cowan told the new officers 95 percent of the people in Jersey City are good and five percent are bad -- and that the officers' duty is to handle that five percent.

As a law abiding resident, I want minimum interaction with the police. I'm prepared to be treated curtly IF that leaves them time to concentrate on the 5%. This type of breakdown 95/5 supports my feeling that even the most petty crimes - fare jumping, quality of life violations, etc. should not be ignored. Grab someone for jumping a turnstile, and you may have grabbed a mugger, thief, a dead beat parent, etc. also.

Posted on: 2014/6/12 12:45

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/18 2:46
Group:
Registered Users
5% is a lot of bad guys (12500 out of 250K JC population). We have about 1045 cops so roughly 12 bad guys for 1 cop ratio.

Posted on: 2014/6/12 3:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Cowan told the new officers 95 percent of the people in Jersey City are good and five percent are bad -- and that the officers' duty is to handle that five percent.

I would have said it's the officer's duty to protect and serve the 95%. If they're handling the 5%, they should handle them once, and once-only.

Posted on: 2014/6/12 3:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
I guess asking them out is wrong but it's preferable to beating them senseless for no reason.

Posted on: 2014/6/12 2:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

No police officer should ever ask out a female while performing his duties. That's plain wrong, unprofessional and should be against their code of conduct.

Absolutely, you have the option to report them if they deemed it inappropriate behavior.

Posted on: 2014/6/12 1:37
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

That's a very misguided statement. The role of a policeman should be, of course, to handle criminals, while also interacting professionally (and with courtesy) with the general population. It seems like police nowadays only focus on crime and criminals, and little effort and training seems to go into instilling in them the important fact that they are serving the public. I have come across some great officers, and some really atrocious ones.

Heck, twice over the past month, I have had female acquaintances tell me essentially the same story, taking place a few weeks apart: each approached an officer for help (one had a general question, the other was inquiring about an accident and what to do next) and the officer in each case (while in uniform, and on duty) proceeded to ask them out. WTF!? No police officer should ever ask out a female while performing his duties. That's plain wrong, unprofessional and should be against their code of conduct.

Posted on: 2014/6/11 22:33

95 percent of the people in Jersey City are good and five percent are bad...
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

The Jersey City Police Department welcomed 38 new officers today at a swearing-in ceremony at City Hall.

Mayor Steve Fulop, Public Safety Director James Shea and Police Chief Robert Cowan swore in the new officers in front of the new officers' family and friends.

The ceremony's introduction included a presentation of colors, Pledge of Allegiance, and bugle performance of Amazing Grace.

"In order to make Jersey City all it can be, it starts with public safety," Fulop said.

Shea praised the officers for completing their training.

"Congratulations. We're very excited to be having you aboard, and we look forward to seeing you out in the street," Shea said.

Cowan congratulated the officers and informed them of their new responsibilities.

"We've been waiting for you to join our family," Cowan said.

Posted on: 2014/6/11 19:04

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017