Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
122 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 122

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Campaign to raise funds for 275 bike racks in Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/10 13:10
From Downtown JC, VVP Area
Group:
Registered Users
Don't know about the high-vis markings, but I ride (bicycles and old mopeds) with a "see and be seen" attitude so I don't have any problem with the markings...
The rubber coating notion sounds good but I kinda doubt it would last more than a year or two out in the sun.
The front of my house still has an old Horse Ring strongly secured to the curbstone. Been there since the mid-1800s. Just think of how many of those and a simple 4' galvanized pipe next to it for bike leaning could be installed city-wide for $40k!

Posted on: 2015/4/29 18:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
good point! a listing or map would be helpful. same with a map of the stripped bike lanes.

the new racks, stripped bike lanes and other amenities are not for those of who us are fine with riding everywhere and locking our bikes to any pole (though there have been places where there is a dearth of lockable things,) but to encourage more people to ride and use bikes for daily use/tasks and for the next generation, ie. it's hard to ride your bike to school if there is no place to lock it.

the recent additions are the result of an ugly marriage of needed amenities and politics (these things take a long time and the political cycle is short.) it is what it is. for some reason, I thought the new racks were to have a rubbery navy blue coating (covering the sharp edges and I have concerns about the mounting to the ground.) like the bike lane orientation and speed mountains, they will all be sorted out in time.

Quote:

alee2 wrote:
Is there a list of the bike rack locations anywhere?

Posted on: 2015/4/29 17:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcneighbor wrote:
It was a great idea to begin with and I'm glad the racks are going in BUT... has anybody touched the edges of those racks?? They're sharp as heck and there are metal burrs from being rough cut and not ground smooth at all. NO WAY I would chain up a nice-looking bike to one of these things. Almost sure to scratch it.

I walked past several of them today and they were all the same -

I'm in the same boat as you. I was excited to see all the racks popping up, but then when I took a close look at the finish... nope. I'm confused if the "decorating" of the racks is to keep cars from backing into them or to get people to notice them and use them.

Posted on: 2015/4/29 17:18

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/19 13:13
From Journal Square
Group:
Registered Users
Wow...I'm a biker also, but have never had an issue with locking mine to a sign pole wherever I am....I guess people need shiny cool looking metal objects to lock things to , as opposed to a nice firm pole?????? Good use of 40 grand people!

Posted on: 2015/4/29 16:56

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/20 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Is there a list of the bike rack locations anywhere?

Posted on: 2015/4/29 0:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/10 13:10
From Downtown JC, VVP Area
Group:
Registered Users
It was a great idea to begin with and I'm glad the racks are going in BUT... has anybody touched the edges of those racks?? They're sharp as heck and there are metal burrs from being rough cut and not ground smooth at all. NO WAY I would chain up a nice-looking bike to one of these things. Almost sure to scratch it.

I walked past several of them today and they were all the same -

Posted on: 2015/4/28 23:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
What's the deal with all the recently "dressed up" bike racks around town? It looks like a construction crew came through and hit them with a day-glow makeover.

Posted on: 2015/4/27 15:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/8/30 8:48
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah! We have officially exceeded our fundraising goal. A few late donations were on paper checks and took a while to get into the system. But we have at least $37,685.

Details on rack fabrication and installation coming soon.

Apparently people in this town support biking, even when it costs them something very directly. We got private funding for bike infrastructure; we should continue to get public funding for it too.

Posted on: 2014/8/28 3:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Over $35,000!

Posted on: 2014/7/31 4:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Only 3 days left to help bring more public bike racks to our city! Please give what you can; every $5 or $10 helps.

If you own or run a business, please consider sponsoring one or more racks near your location (for every $150 you give, you get to pick the location of one rack that holds two bikes).

Click here to donate to the JC bike rack fund

BTW, if you already gave, look for an email with voting instructions and a link to a map where you can drop pins where you want racks to go.

Posted on: 2014/7/29 16:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Over $32,000 now in the fund to buy a JC hovenring ... uh, I mean 275 new bike racks!

Donate today and we'll work on a bike bridge later!

Posted on: 2014/7/25 2:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
(Kidding. Dreaming, actually. How cool would it be to have a hovenring?!?)

http://gizmodo.com/7-transformative-p ... e-designed-for-1604852891

The hovenring looks pretty awesome, but given NJ's experience with traffic circles, getting semis off the upper deck might be a problem.

Posted on: 2014/7/23 12:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
Maybe if there is money left over after the bike racks we could move on to one of these projects.... (Kidding. Dreaming, actually. How cool would it be to have a hovenring?!?)

Jersey City-Manhattan commuter tunnel!

Posted on: 2014/7/23 11:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Maybe if there is money left over after the bike racks we could move on to one of these projects.... (Kidding. Dreaming, actually. How cool would it be to have a hovenring?!?)

Posted on: 2014/7/23 11:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PattyMayo wrote:

What can be done with the abandoned bikes taking up prime rack real estate? I've used the JC iPhone app several times with no results.

Oddly enough, just this evening I noticed that all the bike skeletons had been cleared from the racks at Grove PATH.

Posted on: 2014/7/23 2:02

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/11 18:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

elsquid wrote:
Quote:

elsquid wrote:
If you tossed cash into a bucket at our bike rack fundraisers at The Iron Monkey and Barcade: All that money ($1,500) has just gone into the expanded citywide crowdfunding drive to buy up to 275 racks. Now up to $21,585!

Click here to help make biking better in JC!

Because this money was collected from lots and lots of mostly anonymous donors, before the voting system was implemented, Bike JC is going to choose where the racks it pays for are installed.

So ... any suggestions?

Grove between Columbus & Wayne. No rack at all and many commuter bikes chained to poles.

What can be done with the abandoned bikes taking up prime rack real estate? I've used the JC iPhone app several times with no results.

Posted on: 2014/7/22 14:25

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/6 11:43
From Historic Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

elsquid wrote:
Quote:

elsquid wrote:
If you tossed cash into a bucket at our bike rack fundraisers at The Iron Monkey and Barcade: All that money ($1,500) has just gone into the expanded citywide crowdfunding drive to buy up to 275 racks. Now up to $21,585!

Because this money was collected from lots and lots of mostly anonymous donors, before the voting system was implemented, Bike JC is going to choose where the racks it pays for are installed.

So ... any suggestions?

I tossed in money for the ride, and donated $150 for the rack in the web site and $10 for the group, the page said I would be directed to a page to vote, the link was a dead link, no way back, but, the next day my Amex account showed a $160 charge from them. So much for having a say.

Posted on: 2014/7/22 13:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

elsquid wrote:

So ... any suggestions?

Posted on: 2014/7/21 14:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/7/17 15:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Over $20,000 in the fund now. Let's keep it growing for better biking!

Donate to the Jersey City bike rack fund!

Posted on: 2014/7/15 2:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
You will raise more money if you add a pic of Shirin Vazir's winning design to your campaign page. It's very creative and holds more bikes. Please add that.

Posted on: 2014/7/5 2:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
FAB, it sounds like your neighborhood has issues with bikes being ridden and parked where they don't belong, in an area where very little has been done to make more official spaces for biking.

So how 'bout we try some different things to address that, instead of knocking them in advance? Other cities generally have tried lots of different approaches, then fine-tuned them based on what worked in different situations. (E.g., NYC has both sidewalk bike racks near the curb and bike corrals in the street.)

We support, and will continue to support, a variety of ways to integrate safe and orderly biking into our communities, including some you like more than this one. It just happens that for the rest of July, we're focusing on this one -- partly for its own worth and partly to build support for future projects.

Donate for public bike racks, because giving an ongoing initiative a chance to succeed or fail is how most good things get done.

Posted on: 2014/7/4 18:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

elsquid wrote:

We also are getting more support from pedestrian advocates who observe that the bike lanes already in Downtown have calmed traffic.

pedestrian advocates ! nobody asked to represents me or the people and businesses I associate with.

come up to MLK Drive and Communipaw if you want to see the exact opposite to what is being claimed.

I'm all for 'blowing the trumpet' with this idea (but not the idea of public raised funds).

I surmise you would get more support if you aggressively / pro actively lobbied city hall to pull their finger out.

I'd even stick a 'flyer' on the back of my pick-up to push your cause to get cityhall to act - There would be a few stores that would also promote it - The 'flyer' could have an email or address to petition city hall for this idea / need.

Posted on: 2014/7/4 9:18
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jmiz wrote:

There's a tremendous push to make Jersey City bike friendly, but unfortunately that push has been focused around the downtown streets. Look at the street mileage downtown compared to other wards, and then look at the total bike lane mileage downtown compared to bike lanes in other wards. It's extremely lopsided in DTJC's favor. God forbid anyone speak up on behalf of the other 80% of the city.

This is a totally reasonable concern. It would be terrible if most of the city were deprived of bike improvements at the expense of Downtown.

It would be perfectly fine, though, if JC, like most cities, used its Downtown (with its high visibility, its longstanding flatlander bike culture, its access to NYC and Hoboken and waterfront bikeways and mass transit, etc.) as a leading wedge and a test track for bike improvements, to plant a smaller win and grow it into a larger one for the whole city.

It has to spread, and you should insist on that. We definitely will.

Posted on: 2014/7/4 2:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jmiz wrote:

...before donating, I was curious about the bike rack distribution, which is a question that has yet to be answered.

I answered this already in post #10, but: You donate, you decide. Sponsor and place a rack for $150, or donate any amount and pick a spot as your vote, all votes make a heat map, and racks will go in all the areas of highest demand.

If there are lots of people in your neighborhood who want bike racks, all ya gotta do is send 'em RIGHT HERE.

Posted on: 2014/7/4 2:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Quote:

elsquid wrote:

We get lots of support from non-bikers; e.g., advocates for pedestrian safety recognize that having more bikers on the streets calms motor traffic and ultimately makes walkers safer. Local businesses know that a cycling customer is one who's less inclined to drive out of town to a suburban mall. And so on.

I've ridden and continue to ride bikes and motorbikes for over 30 years in Bayonne, NY and DTJC and this claim is fanciful but in my opinion highly subjective and without an inch of fact / merit.

The bike culture is good for the cafe sect, but you can't carry much if you're buying goods of any size unless you've got a trailer attached to your bike: this would then cause another hazard for pedestrians when you park them on the sidewalk.

Pedestrians are also at threat by cyclist that monouve from street to sidewalk without regard to others - Of course this is just a minority group (or so we hope) of cyclists that do it, but to paint that cycling is free of problems and generates greater safety to pedestrians is hog-wash.

If you're going to lobby for funds, then stick to facts / research and not myths or hearsay opinions. I can point you to 2 stores that hate bicycles parked outside their store as it interferes with loading goods to vehicles and deliveries, obstructs their shop window advertising and have caused damage when bicycles fall over onto their shop front windows.

Pedestrians are now 3rd class citizens when it comes to open space access.

A solution for bike parking would be to allocate an ON STREET car parking bay for bike use only - By keeping the bikes parked on the road, there is no reason for a cyclist to mount the sidewalk and interfere with pedestrian space!

Resized Image

Hi, FAB! We also know of maaany businesses that love bikes, what with their sponsorships of our events and efforts to welcome us and their independent purchases of bike racks, but reasonable minds do differ, and the needs of some businesses will too. Support bike racks for the places that want us locking up nearby, and the places that don't want us around will probably get their wish.

We also are getting more support from pedestrian advocates who observe that the bike lanes already in Downtown have calmed traffic. That's not me talking, that's people who focus on walking.

And of course rude, irresponsible bikers (motorized or otherwise) are never a good thing, minority though they be.

LOVE your support for on-street bike corrals; Hoboken is embracing them, and we should too. They go great at the end of blocks, where parking is illegal anyway for visibility reasons. Ya get bike parking, and also block illegal car parking. The sidewalk racks for which we are fundraising are only a part of the eventual bike parking solution. But they're a trailblazer that will show the inherent demand and support for bike parking, and should make future projects easier politically.

Here's that link for you again: Click here to help your local cafe owner make a living.

Posted on: 2014/7/4 2:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jmiz wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
I live in Bergen Lafayette, and yes, I see lots of people biking, almost all going elsewhere.

Tell me more about your telepathic ability to determine one's destination by simply looking at them.

Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Why the obsession with making sure ALL neighborhoods get equal treatment of EVERYTHING??

You claim my reading comprehension is that of an illiterate? Please find where I stated "ALL neighborhoods should get equal treatment of EVERYTHING." That's right -- I never said that. Here's my exact quote for the cognitively challenged:

Quote:
jmiz wrote:
What percentage is going downtown? And what pitiful "yearly income donate to charity" slice is going to other neighborhoods?

There's a tremendous push to make Jersey City bike friendly, but unfortunately that push has been focused around the downtown streets. Look at the street mileage downtown compared to other wards, and then look at the total bike lane mileage downtown compared to bike lanes in other wards. It's extremely lopsided in DTJC's favor. God forbid anyone speak up on behalf of the other 80% of the city.

So in summary, before donating, I was curious about the bike rack distribution, which is a question that has yet to be answered.

P.S. I ride your yearly allotment in about 3 months. But that's neither here nor there.

I live near Bodi, and saw him riding today (yes, in this heat) with a freaking tie off to work. He's got all the street cred, biking wise, anyone would want.

Posted on: 2014/7/4 1:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

elsquid wrote:

We get lots of support from non-bikers; e.g., advocates for pedestrian safety recognize that having more bikers on the streets calms motor traffic and ultimately makes walkers safer. Local businesses know that a cycling customer is one who's less inclined to drive out of town to a suburban mall. And so on.

I've ridden and continue to ride bikes and motorbikes for over 30 years in Bayonne, NY and DTJC and this claim is fanciful but in my opinion highly subjective and without an inch of fact / merit.

The bike culture is good for the cafe sect, but you can't carry much if you're buying goods of any size unless you've got a trailer attached to your bike: this would then cause another hazard for pedestrians when you park them on the sidewalk.

Pedestrians are also at threat by cyclist that monouve from street to sidewalk without regard to others - Of course this is just a minority group (or so we hope) of cyclists that do it, but to paint that cycling is free of problems and generates greater safety to pedestrians is hog-wash.

If you're going to lobby for funds, then stick to facts / research and not myths or hearsay opinions. I can point you to 2 stores that hate bicycles parked outside their store as it interferes with loading goods to vehicles and deliveries, obstructs their shop window advertising and have caused damage when bicycles fall over onto their shop front windows.

Pedestrians are now 3rd class citizens when it comes to open space access.

A solution for bike parking would be to allocate an ON STREET car parking bay for bike use only - By keeping the bikes parked on the road, there is no reason for a cyclist to mount the sidewalk and interfere with pedestrian space!

Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/7/4 1:37
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
I live in Bergen Lafayette, and yes, I see lots of people biking, almost all going elsewhere.

Tell me more about your telepathic ability to determine one's destination by simply looking at them.

Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Why the obsession with making sure ALL neighborhoods get equal treatment of EVERYTHING??

You claim my reading comprehension is that of an illiterate? Please find where I stated "ALL neighborhoods should get equal treatment of EVERYTHING." That's right -- I never said that. Here's my exact quote for the cognitively challenged:

Quote:
jmiz wrote:
What percentage is going downtown? And what pitiful "yearly income donate to charity" slice is going to other neighborhoods?

So in summary, before donating, I was curious about the bike rack distribution, which is a question that has yet to be answered.

P.S. I ride your yearly allotment in about 3 months. But that's neither here nor there.

Posted on: 2014/7/3 20:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah, yeah, yeah... It's obvious your reading comprehension is that of an illiterate.

I live in Bergen Lafayette, and yes, I see lots of people biking, almost all going elsewhere. And, as for Central Ave and all business/commercial districts, I specifically said all those areas should get racks.

As for my biking, or lack of it, I can only say I ride upwards of a thousand miles a year. If that's too little by your standards, well... so be it.

Posted on: 2014/7/3 11:33

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017