Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
112 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 112

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Man robs Burger King at gunpoint in Jersey City, no one injured: police
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

07310 wrote:
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Good luck, and I hope you find a neighborhood you can call home! I hear what you are saying, but since I bought in the Heights (in '08) moving is not an option... I take it you lived west of Summit and south of Manhattan? There are some beautiful homes on Sherman Place, but unless you are right on Ogden near Riverview Park, the Heights can seem like its going nowhere. I'm hoping the efforts by the Riverview Neighborhood Association and the Riverview arts project - farmers market, new coffee shop on Palisade, a concert venue at the "lumberyard" on Palisade create a new vibe for at least part of the Heights. If I didn't orient myself towards the Riverview scene and access to/from Hoboken, I would find nothing in the Heights to like either.

WT
where are the RE values in the Heights? Are they still below what you paid for your place?

It's so hard to find comps. My neighbors place in my building - elevator, some units with parking, established condo - sold for just under his ask ($186,500 for a 700 s.f. loft studio); a larger unit on a higher floor went for less as a short sale. My place doesn't come up on Zillow.com anymore, Trulia.com has it finally over what I paid, but not by much. I think what makes getting comps hard is that the building stock in the vicinity is so varied there are newer 2-families going for $400K, HUGE lofts (2,000 s.f.), but lots of really shitty run down rentals, half-finished condos, and abandoned buildings, which must bring things down.

Posted on: 2014/6/13 20:57

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/6/14 1:55
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
[quote]
Good luck, and I hope you find a neighborhood you can call home! I hear what you are saying, but since I bought in the Heights (in '08) moving is not an option... I take it you lived west of Summit and south of Manhattan? There are some beautiful homes on Sherman Place, but unless you are right on Ogden near Riverview Park, the Heights can seem like its going nowhere. I'm hoping the efforts by the Riverview Neighborhood Association and the Riverview arts project - farmers market, new coffee shop on Palisade, a concert venue at the "lumberyard" on Palisade create a new vibe for at least part of the Heights. If I didn't orient myself towards the Riverview scene and access to/from Hoboken, I would find nothing in the Heights to like either.

I lived downtown for quite about 5 years after living on Bergen ave JSQ for a year. I loved Downtown, but had to move when I got laid off in '09 and couldn't find a good paying job for two years. I saw that neighborhood change so fast!

I do go to that farmers market you are talking about, and yes I am happy Mod cup finally have a shop, they do brew a good cup. I have a feeling though that even there they have teens at night causing mischief. Heights architecture is pleasing like some old houses off central, even on Carlton ave (I live off Carlton).

I am moving out of the country, another met area, but less populated, less polluted, less of living on top of each other, better weather.

Posted on: 2014/6/13 17:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:

WT
where are the RE values in the Heights? Are they still below what you paid for your place?

Posted on: 2014/6/13 17:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Tash wrote:
I really tried to like the Heights, but between teenagers constantly hanging out in hoards smoking weed at Perishing field, shady individuals wandering up and down central, rude ladies on the street, I am so happy I am moving. Cheap rent wasn't worth 1 mile trek from the station to a neighborhood where I feel uncomfortable walking to a store at night ( I have to cross the Perishing Field park and never felt safe with groups of teens roaming the park).

Central avenue business district is pathetic. All it got going is old school italian food and central avenue liquors across the perishing field. Not a single decent store to shop at unless you want to buy some hoochie cheap clothing or old food, no coffee shops, no cafes (even a bagel shop!), nothing, just 99c stores. People are rude too. I hope it gets better someday, but judging on how JSQ remained the same as long as I have been here, I doubt it will happen anytime soon.

Posted on: 2014/6/13 16:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
Refreshing to hear the truth from the heights.

Quote:

Tash wrote:
I really tried to like the Heights, but between teenagers constantly hanging out in hoards smoking weed at Perishing field, shady individuals wandering up and down central, rude ladies on the street, I am so happy I am moving. Cheap rent wasn't worth 1 mile trek from the station to a neighborhood where I feel uncomfortable walking to a store at night ( I have to cross the Perishing Field park and never felt safe with groups of teens roaming the park).

Central avenue business district is pathetic. All it got going is old school italian food and central avenue liquors across the perishing field. Not a single decent store to shop at unless you want to buy some hoochie cheap clothing or old food, no coffee shops, no cafes (even a bagel shop!), nothing, just 99c stores. People are rude too. I hope it gets better someday, but judging on how JSQ remained the same as long as I have been here, I doubt it will happen anytime soon.

Posted on: 2014/6/13 2:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
minimum wage with a life threatening reality - these workers are left vulnerable - these fast food chains need to step up security as they are now and have been for a long time, the new soft target for robbery.

Posted on: 2014/6/13 0:14
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/6/14 1:55
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/6/12 18:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Scary and sad - 2nd attempted robbery at gunpoint in the Heights in just a few weeks.

Personally, I still don't feel the Heights is "changing", but this is something concerned citizens need to stay on top of. And our elected officials. Will Michael Yun pay attention to something other than parking meters in front of his store on Central Avenue, I wonder...

Posted on: 2014/6/6 17:16

Man robs Burger King at gunpoint in Jersey City, no one injured: police
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
A man robbed a Burger King at gunpoint in Jersey City early Wednesday morning, but no one was injured, according to a police report.

At around 12:11 a.m. on Wednesday, a man with a small gun approached a Burger King employee who was taking out the garbage through the back door of the restaurant at 330 Central Ave., the report stated.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... _police.html#incart_river

Posted on: 2014/6/6 3:30

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017