Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
103 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 103

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 10 »

Re: Jersey City: Newark Avenue - Pedestrian Plaza
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/18 3:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bike_Lane wrote:
So... Why has Newark Ave been open to vehicles since last week?

The trial period for the pedestrian plaza is over.

Posted on: 2014/11/5 4:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bike_Lane wrote:
i believe the trial run for the pedestrian plaza ended at the endof october

Posted on: 2014/11/5 3:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/20 23:45
From gone
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/11/5 3:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/9/30 20:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
a nice little essay about giving communities a soul:

http://grist.org/cities/how-to-give-a-community-a-soul/

Posted on: 2014/9/14 17:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
I may be a critic of the dopey looking picnic tables, but on balance, the plaza is a great idea. I went to Roman Nose on a dinner date last night, and while waiting for a table, we strolled around and enjoyed people watching. We stopped in at Word to browse, and just lazily walked right across the street to Fussy Friends to play with the resident cats. Then we chatted with a couple we were acquainted with at LITM, and walked to the corner to check out the weekly party by the cigar shop.

It really does improve the appeal of the area, and I can't wait for it to be made permanent, with proper streetscaping and better seating.

Posted on: 2014/9/13 13:30

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 1:37
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Rock on.

Posted on: 2014/9/13 1:44

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/21 0:04
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I biked pedestrian plaza and nobody died.
Today was a good day...

Posted on: 2014/9/13 1:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MonmouthMan wrote:
So is it legal for me to bring a beer or other alcoholic beverage and sit at one of the picnic tables and drink openly? I've seen folks drinking alcoholic beverages both openly and from flasks and such, but I want to know the legality. Thanks.

I'd consider it like drinking in the park. You can't have open bottles and cans in public. You might be able to get away with plastic cups, but I'm not sure why you wouldn't just venture to one of the bars...

Posted on: 2014/9/9 20:41
Dos A Cero

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/15 20:50
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
So is it legal for me to bring a beer or other alcoholic beverage and sit at one of the picnic tables and drink openly? I've seen folks drinking alcoholic beverages both openly and from flasks and such, but I want to know the legality. Thanks.

Posted on: 2014/9/9 17:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
In order to close any street, the city should have required the Fire Department to come up with a plan for any emergencies. The street closure has been in effect and everyone with functioning eyes notices the backup traffic.

Prove that the Fire Department doesn?t have a plan.

Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:
but don't blame the plaza

HA!!!!! Okay!

Really? If a driver plows into a barricade, it's the barricade's fault? I'm sure the cop let the driver off for that very reason, right?

Meanwhile, it is the Hudson Mall?s fault that an old man drove through the front door.

In related news, Yvonne doesn?t blame the feeble old man as she thinks it?s his right to find parking wherever he wants!

Quote:

elsquid wrote:
Oh, hey, maybe Fletcher should link to his misogynist, hateful, and generally batshit Facebook meme about the plaza.

He used a photo of a woman riding a bike through the plaza at what is obviously a low speed (you can tell by her very relaxed position and non-windblown dress, among other cues), and coming nowhere near any pedestrians, and placed it next to a photo of one Miss Gulch riding a bike in The Wizard of Oz, with the headlines "EVIL WITCH ... OR JC HIPSTER?"

Just so we know who we're dealing with here.

As stupid as the photo is, the premise is right. The person should not be riding a bike in a pedestrian plaza. She really should get off the thing and walk it through, if that?s her route.

Posted on: 2014/9/8 23:36
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/7/25 21:48
From Van Vorst Park area
Group:
Registered Users
No need to get surly. You can see his pic here.

Posted on: 2014/9/8 21:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/8/30 8:48
Group:
Registered Users
Oh, hey, maybe Fletcher should link to his misogynist, hateful, and generally batshit Facebook meme about the plaza.

He used a photo of a woman riding a bike through the plaza at what is obviously a low speed (you can tell by her very relaxed position and non-windblown dress, among other cues), and coming nowhere near any pedestrians, and placed it next to a photo of one Miss Gulch riding a bike in The Wizard of Oz, with the headlines "EVIL WITCH ... OR JC HIPSTER?"

Just so we know who we're dealing with here.

Posted on: 2014/9/8 20:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:
I walk through regularly and have seen lots of kids running around during the dinner hour....with some cyclists riding very slowing, looking out for the children. It was quite nice to to see.

So, not "zooming"?

Maybe it's a typo and he meant schmoozing - they share a lot of letters, and you do see a lot of people just hanging out and chatting. Or maybe he meant mozying, again a lot of letter overlap and also the pace of the bikes one sees with one's functioning eyes.
BTW, if it is not too early to think about naming the plaza after someone, I suggest Flip Wilson, JC's great comedian. So, if you do hit a kid with your bike you can say: The Devil Made Me Do It.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MnJwOks5yI

Posted on: 2014/9/8 20:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
I walk through regularly and have seen lots of kids running around during the dinner hour....with some cyclists riding very slowing, looking out for the children. It was quite nice to to see.

Posted on: 2014/9/8 17:20

Re: What's Going on With Barrow Street?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/28 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

FGJCNJ1970 wrote:
There was a major accident last night with a taxi plowing through the barriers on Newark at the closure near Erie St.

Pictures can be found on the Harsimus Cove facebook page here.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/HarsimusCoveAssociation/

And of course the pedestrian plaza have been taken over by bikers zooming by parents with small children in carriages and or walking or what not.

Quote:

UrbanRenewal wrote:
I wonder if there were accidents or if businesses and/or residents were not fans of the directional shift? Interesting.

Fletcher,

I understand you/Yvonne are posturing for your failed 2017 run for Council and have taken this "issue" as one to run with, but I seriously question if her psychosis is rubbing off on you. Over the weekend the street was filled with families walking with their children, and there have been zero incidents of a biker racing through the streets and hitting someone.

I further understand your obsession with this city government and your pain of getting such a low % of the vote last year haunts you, but seriously...come on man! The only people complaining about this are the pill-peddling doctor Chennai, people who for some reason think the 15ish parking spots on the street were "theirs" and they now have nowhere to park, and our local psychotic contrarians such as you and Yvonne. Sad life.

Posted on: 2014/9/8 17:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 23:17
Group:
Registered Users
How I wish this beautiful plaza could open also in the morning. One could pause and enjoy their morning coffee on one of the lovely wooden tables taking in the view.

Posted on: 2014/9/8 16:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
In order to close any street, the city should have required the Fire Department to come up with a plan for any emergencies. The street closure has been in effect and everyone with functioning eyes notices the backup traffic.

So you're saying that the Fire Department has no plan in place for 450ft of blocked asphalt? The negligence...

Posted on: 2014/9/8 15:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

FGJCNJ1970 wrote:
There was a major accident last night with a taxi plowing through the barriers on Newark at the closure near Erie St.

Someone crashed directly into the Hudson Mall last night. (Fortunately, no one was hurt.) Obviously, we should blame the mall. ;)

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... driving.html#incart_river

Quote:
And of course the pedestrian plaza have been taken over by bikers zooming by parents with small children in carriages and or walking or what not.

I haven't seen hordes of cyclists barreling through. I have seen lots of families with kids hanging out, which IMO is a great thing.

Posted on: 2014/9/8 14:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
If there was a fire in the Van Vorst neighborhood, the closest fire station is on Newark Avenue. So how are they to respond with the backup traffic?

It's not on Newark. It's on Bay and Erie. Which means it can go up Bay, onto Newark (which is not blocked off at that spot), and down Jersey.

Next objection?

Posted on: 2014/9/8 13:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/9/8 13:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
There is poor planning on this mall regardless how much it is enjoyed. If there was a fire in the Van Vorst neighborhood, the closest fire station is on Newark Avenue. So how are they to respond with the backup traffic? The fire station near the Prep is inadequate and sometimes not manned. There have been no studies from the fire department. God forbid, a tragedy would strike and there is loss of life, I am sure there would be massive lawsuits.

Posted on: 2014/9/8 13:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

maybeMoving wrote:
I'm sure I'm being lumped in with the complainers but I want to be clear that I fully support this. I think it's great that the city is taking the initiative to do this and realize that they have to make incremental steps so people like Yvonne can slowly come to accept the new reality of not giving preference to cars above all else.

My only point is that I hope this becomes something more fully fleshed out and not an annual 3 month stretch of putting a couple picnic benches on Newark so we can sit in the middle of asphalt. I worry that we'll be stuck with this half measure as "good enough" since that's usually how things go.

This could be a "chicken or egg" case. Will more people show up if a beautiful pedestrian plaza is built or will a pedestrian plaza not be built because there wasn't enough use of it while it was just a closed strip of pavement.

Hopefully JC commits to making this a REAL pedestrian plaza in the near future.

+1

Posted on: 2014/9/8 12:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/15 3:35
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users

Pictures can be found on the Harsimus Cove facebook page here.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/HarsimusCoveAssociation/

Quote:

UrbanRenewal wrote:
I wonder if there were accidents or if businesses and/or residents were not fans of the directional shift? Interesting.

Posted on: 2014/9/8 2:05

What's Going on With Barrow Street?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/27 17:44
From Van Vorst Park Historical District
Group:
Registered Users
In August, Barrow Street from Newark Avenue to Christopher Columbus Drive changed from a two-way street to a one-way street with the arrival of the Pedestrian Plaza.

And now it looks like the city has had a change of heart and has converted it back to a two-way street. I just noticed the street has been repainted with new lines, and the traffic lights and street signs have returned to their previous state.

Posted on: 2014/9/7 22:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/19 0:07
From Pizza City
Group:
Registered Users
Today I took the PATH train to check out the pedestrian plaza. I loved it. I visited Natural House at 159 Newark that has a small but good juice bar and had an asthma shake. It was good and was almost half the price of Subia's around the corner. I also visited Tender Shoots Farm across the street for the first time. They carry wine grapes and organic coconut oil along with a lot of organic products. I'd definitely go again.

Posted on: 2014/9/6 18:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
If they were to make this permanent, I would worry about the choice of aesthetic materials and finishes. The Grove Plaza gives me no confidence, with the crumbling/flaking bluestone, nor do the crosswalks all over town (stamped asphalt that peels and crumbles after a few months).

REAL cobblestone, like you see near Exchange Place light rail tracks, or on Audrey Zapp Drive entering LSP, are what should be used to cover the street surface. They are extremely durable and look fantastic.

Posted on: 2014/9/5 19:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/24 20:34
Group:
Registered Users
I'm sure I'm being lumped in with the complainers but I want to be clear that I fully support this. I think it's great that the city is taking the initiative to do this and realize that they have to make incremental steps so people like Yvonne can slowly come to accept the new reality of not giving preference to cars above all else.

My only point is that I hope this becomes something more fully fleshed out and not an annual 3 month stretch of putting a couple picnic benches on Newark so we can sit in the middle of asphalt. I worry that we'll be stuck with this half measure as "good enough" since that's usually how things go.

This could be a "chicken or egg" case. Will more people show up if a beautiful pedestrian plaza is built or will a pedestrian plaza not be built because there wasn't enough use of it while it was just a closed strip of pavement.

Hopefully JC commits to making this a REAL pedestrian plaza in the near future.

Posted on: 2014/9/5 18:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

rescuelife wrote:
A concept that seems too complex for many here is that this is a TRIAL RUN. The city will not invest in permanent changes at this time, but rather will analyze relevant data and feedback once the outdoor seating is removed for the winter. Then, should a permanent measure be approved, the city will invest in making this a more robust pedestrian plaza.

If they want to demonstrate citizens using it, they need to provide the infrastructure, even if that means renting some tables and chairs. I'm a supporter, but while I often sit in Greeley Sq eating some streetfood, I've not been tempted to sit at a lonely picnic table on Newark.

Posted on: 2014/9/5 17:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 23:17
Group:
Registered Users
Ok - so - once the data is in and scientifically analyzed then next spring we all can look forward to it looking like downtown Montclair!

Posted on: 2014/9/5 16:43

(1) 2 3 4 ... 10 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017