Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
80 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 80

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Scouts honor war veterans with flag placement at Jersey City cemetery
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Anthony J. Machcinski/The Jersey Journal

While thousands of people fought the traffic and headed for the Jersey Shore for Memorial Day weekend, dozens of Boy Scouts arrived at Jersey City?s Bayview Cemetery this morning to honor fallen war veterans.

The scouts, which included members of Troops 19 and 25 and Packs 19 and 25 from Bayonne, scoured the cemetery searching for veterans? graves.

Anthony Novielli, Cubmaster of Pack 19, was at the Jersey City cemetery for the second year in a row.

?I want the kids to understand what today is all about,? said Novielli, who also served in the Army from 1991 to 2002. ?(These veterans) fought and died for our country.?

Jay Canela, who was at the cemetery placing flags with his son Thomas, agreed.

?Sometimes we take Memorial Day for granted,? Canela said. ?(Memorial Day) isn?t about the first day to go swimming.?

He added, ?I can?t think of a better way to pay respect to those veterans for their sacrifice.?

Resized Image

Isabel Flores, who took her nephew Skyler to the cemetery this morning for the flag placement, admitted that she often took Memorial Day for granted.

?I never really paid respect before,? Flores said. ?(Memorial Day) was always Barbecues and the beach.?

Flores said placing flags on the veterans? graves this morning changed her view on the holiday.

?Being out here has definitely changed me,? Flores said. ?I want to be able to see the historic ships on Staten Island (in the future) and pay respect for those who fought for me.?

In total, the scouts spent over two hours placing flags on the graves of over 1,000 veterans from as far back as the Civil War.

Posted on: 2014/5/24 17:01

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017