Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
136 user(s) are online (122 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 136

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: 2000 march on McDonald's Chicago headquarters
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
According to the Center for Economic and Policy Research, almost 40% of fast food workers are 25 or older; and more than 25% are parents (emphasis mine). Some sources suggest nearly 50% of fast food workers are the bread winners in their household.

In the winner-take-all 'griftopia' that has taken over - like something out of Invasion of the Body Snatchers - American society, they'll need all the luck, and support, they can get.

Stop having kids you can't afford to support, to start. If you do start a family, live as a nuclear family instead of having two households to support.

Personal responsibility usually gets things done.

My parents, and my grandparents before them, worked in factories, as bartenders, as cashiers, in apple orchards clearing brush etc. Each generation prospered, in a modest way, and left their children with a strong sense of personal responsibility.

Today, they would be the very people you are railing at, as no matter how hard working and responsible, there would be no good paying jobs for them to take care of their families. I think its horrible to blame parents of today, who are unable to escape the scenario my parents and grandparents were able to work their way out of, because the job opportunities are just not there.

Actually, you proved my point. Your family (and mine) took care of their children, and didn't have them in an environment where 75% of kids are borne out of wedlock, often to teenagers themselves, as is what's going on in the inner cities.

These poor kids are born behind the 8 ball-and it sure isn't my fault.

Posted on: 2014/5/22 22:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
According to the Center for Economic and Policy Research, almost 40% of fast food workers are 25 or older; and more than 25% are parents (emphasis mine). Some sources suggest nearly 50% of fast food workers are the bread winners in their household.

In the winner-take-all 'griftopia' that has taken over - like something out of Invasion of the Body Snatchers - American society, they'll need all the luck, and support, they can get.

Stop having kids you can't afford to support, to start. If you do start a family, live as a nuclear family instead of having two households to support.

My parents, and my grandparents before them, worked in factories, as bartenders, as cashiers, in apple orchards clearing brush etc. Each generation prospered, in a modest way, and left their children with a strong sense of personal responsibility.

Today, they would be the very people you are railing at, as no matter how hard working and responsible, there would be no good paying jobs for them to take care of their families. I think its horrible to blame parents of today, who are unable to escape the scenario my parents and grandparents were able to work their way out of, because the job opportunities are just not there.

Posted on: 2014/5/22 22:07

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/26 14:00
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Azul_the_Cat wrote:
I remember in CA the Arby's chains had a similar setup to this. The only interaction with a person was handing them cash, if you were paying that way, and picking up your food. I preferred it this way and always wondered why more restaurants didn't go this route.

Most restaurants aren't implementing automated systems because they are less attractive, from an economic perspective, than hiring someone at the minimum wage, as the systems tend to have high up-front costs. Increase that minimum wage, and these types of systems (or any other labor minimization scheme) become relatively more attractive.

The bottom line is that labor can be valued. If a hypothetical worker's labor is worth $8 / hour, the minimum wage is $7, and the owner of the business needs labor, the hypothetical worker will be hired (whether he's paid $7 or $8 / hour, or somewhere in between, depends on the elasticity of this hypothetical labor market).

If the minimum wage is increased to $10 / hour and the hypothetical worker's labor is still worth $8 / hour, the owner is no longer incented to hire or continue to employ this worker. It doesn't mean that the owner is going to fire him immediately, but it does mean that the owner is now incented to replace the worker with an automated system, halt the hiring of previously marginal workers, continue operations with a reduced workforce, or, in the most extreme cases, cease operations.

The "fair" way to deal with the issue would be to force business owners to cover the externalities associated with their low-wage business models (increased demand on the healthcare system, direct welfare payments, etc.), which would cause a material number of marginal businesses to reduce headcount significantly or close up shop.

Posted on: 2014/5/22 21:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
I think people should realize that working at McD (and any fast food place, coffee place, etc) are NOT full time jobs - well, at least they are NOT suppose to be.

I believe those places are meant to be part time jobs where people (like students) want to make some extra spending money.

Therefore, of course they don't pay a "living wage".

if people want "living wages", then they should get proper full time jobs (and perhaps start with a proper education first, too).

Posted on: 2014/5/22 16:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
yummy mcdonalds - the king of corn syrup use in all their products

http://youtu.be/6rxAXzWDZwQ

http://www.foodfacts.info/high-fructose-corn-syrup.shtml

If corporate america and government has its way, we'd all be working on minimum wage or face fear of losing your job. Some jclisters would rather have people working below the poverty line. Zero empathy is alive and kicking in this thread

Nonsense, of course. Expecting people to do their own fair share, when I'm doing mine for them, isn't lack of empathy. Take advantage of the education $ I send to JC, for starters.

Posted on: 2014/5/22 16:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
yummy mcdonalds - the king of corn syrup use in all their products

http://youtu.be/6rxAXzWDZwQ

http://www.foodfacts.info/high-fructose-corn-syrup.shtml

If corporate america and government has its way, we'd all be working on minimum wage or face fear of losing your job. Some jclisters would rather have people working below the poverty line. Zero empathy is alive and kicking in this thread

Posted on: 2014/5/22 15:34
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/7 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

greenville wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Resized Image

Bravo, clever meme hipster kids!

It cooks the burgers, stocks inventory, and cleans too? Wow that's a hell of a machine.

There are automated kitchens in development. You would still have staff, just not as many. Basically 2 or 3 people to monitor the machines and take out trash instead of 15 people.

That picture shows a self ordering kiosk, which replaces the people running the cash register.

http://youtu.be/mfKbaX4jE9U

Yeah so until these automated kitchens are develop, McDs and other companies to pay these people a decent wage so they stop mooching the government for housing, food, and healthcare cost.

Posted on: 2014/5/22 14:34
ಠ_ಠ

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Just remember how many bank tellers we had before ATM's were created. Asking for a $15/hour burger flipping job would just hasten the technology improvement.

Posted on: 2014/5/22 14:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Yea automation !

Posted on: 2014/5/22 14:30
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
4/15 15:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

greenville wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Resized Image

It cooks the burgers, stocks inventory, and cleans too? Wow that's a hell of a machine.

There are automated kitchens in development. You would still have staff, just not as many. Basically 2 or 3 people to monitor the machines and take out trash instead of 15 people.

That picture shows a self ordering kiosk, which replaces the people running the cash register.

http://youtu.be/mfKbaX4jE9U

Posted on: 2014/5/22 14:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/2 11:06
From Scenic McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Resized Image

I remember in CA the Arby's chains had a similar setup to this. The only interaction with a person was handing them cash, if you were paying that way, and picking up your food. I preferred it this way and always wondered why more restaurants didn't go this route.

Posted on: 2014/5/22 14:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/5/22 14:04
ಠ_ಠ

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:

It?s great to say, but things happen sometimes. And more than sometimes, things happen to people who aren?t educated enough or make bad decisions when they are young and invincible.

The question then is? wouldn?t you rather these people working for a living than taking welfare? The studies on this show this to be a positive consequence.

Posted on: 2014/5/22 13:31
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

score09 wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

che was so successful in Cuba that, even today, boatloads of people risk their lives trying to float to Havana from Miami for a better life. lol

Touche.

But, the discussion as to a fair minimum wage is alive and well. So chuckle away, as did the French aristocracy.

Pshaw. After the Frondes during the regency of Louis XIV
the aristocracy knew it was under fire. What few anticipated was the increasing power of the bourgeoisie in both economic development and finance, and how bloody and confiscatory the change of regime would be. Tocqueville is a good place to start.

http://www.amazon.com/Old-Regime-Fren ... 5&keywords=de+tocqueville

Posted on: 2014/5/22 13:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
4/15 15:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

Did you read your own pictures? McDonalds pays the minimum wage in Australia, just like they do here. Why would you single them out?

In Australia, fast food places are staffed by teenagers who are not subject to the $15+ minimum wage. The rates are as follows:

For junior employees, the minimum rates are:
Under 16 years of age $5.87
At 16 years of age $7.55
At 17 years of age $9.22
At 18 years of age $10.90
At 19 years of age $13.17

Posted on: 2014/5/22 13:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Shouldn't they be glad they have a job ? Plenty of immigrants here in the U.S. accept graciously any employment that is given to them. Thems work thems eat. Shall we renegotiate the salaries of the CEOs they are entitled to make a little more than the average worker...more responsibility.

Posted on: 2014/5/22 12:43
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/18 1:42
From Botswana
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

che was so successful in Cuba that, even today, boatloads of people risk their lives trying to float to Havana from Miami for a better life. lol

Touche.

But, the discussion as to a fair minimum wage is alive and well. So chuckle away, as did the French aristocracy.

Posted on: 2014/5/22 11:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Quote:

score09 wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Note to self; buy 1,000 shares of McDonalds tomorrow. Sounds like a good performer.

Yup, unlike worker hourly wage, MCD stock has doubled over past five years. Why not go all out and long some MCD call options?

Remember though:

"The laws of capitalism, blind and invisible to the majority, act upon the individual without his thinking about it. He sees only the vastness of a seemingly infinite horizon before him. That is how it is painted by capitalist propagandists, who purport to draw a lesson from the example of Rockefeller?whether or not it is true?about the possibilities of success. The amount of poverty and suffering required for the emergence of a Rockefeller, and the amount of depravity that the accumulation of a fortune of such magnitude entails, are left out of the picture, and it is not always possible to make the people in general see this."

- Che Guevara

Now we know we are dealing with a complete and utter moron. Quoting Che? Really?

Posted on: 2014/5/22 11:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Botswana
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Resized Image

Do you think for a moment that McDonald's et al isn't chomping at the bit to implement this now? They'll do it even if the minimum wage was $2 per hour. It's just a matter of time, they'll do it, and have done so already as pointed out in another post in the thread that I started.

Posted on: 2014/5/22 3:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Botswana
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Now we know we are dealing with a complete and utter moron. Quoting Che? Really?

Yup, REALLY! It is more quoting a "veritas" that just so happens to come from Che. That's because, most Marxists would concur with the truthfulness of the message.

And, as far as your participation in this, the thread that I, of my own volition started, you are welcome to continue to post. Hopefully, we can liberate you from your own inhumanity WITHOUT any violent action. But as any true revolutionary knows, the only means to liberation is through violence. That's because the capitalists will NEVER relinquish their own wealth for something as ignoble as humanity.

But seriously, your quote concerning "that old adage" is really the most pathetic post in this thread. And you have the audacity to assail one of the finest journalistic outlets?

If you have ANYTHING intelligent to say, please do so!

Posted on: 2014/5/22 3:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/5/22 3:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

score09 wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Note to self; buy 1,000 shares of McDonalds tomorrow. Sounds like a good performer.

Yup, unlike worker hourly wage, MCD stock has doubled over past five years. Why not go all out and long some MCD call options?

Remember though:

"The laws of capitalism, blind and invisible to the majority, act upon the individual without his thinking about it. He sees only the vastness of a seemingly infinite horizon before him. That is how it is painted by capitalist propagandists, who purport to draw a lesson from the example of Rockefeller?whether or not it is true?about the possibilities of success. The amount of poverty and suffering required for the emergence of a Rockefeller, and the amount of depravity that the accumulation of a fortune of such magnitude entails, are left out of the picture, and it is not always possible to make the people in general see this."

- Che Guevara

Posted on: 2014/5/22 3:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Botswana
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Remember though:

- Che Guevara

Posted on: 2014/5/22 3:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/5/22 2:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
score09, the sixties called, they're looking for their LSD back.

McDonald's depends on the government to subsidize their workers with housing, food, and healthcare since they don't make enough to earn a decent living. McDonald's will probably get automated machines for ordering but be aware that that's only one person that is been replaced and that there are dozens more that are cooking food, stocking inventory, etc. Walmart is another government welfare queen and most of their jobs can't be automated so I think it is fair to push for a wage hike since a lot of them are on government programs because of their low wages, which means you and me are paying for Walmart to profit from us.

Posted on: 2014/5/22 2:25
ಠ_ಠ

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
score09, the sixties called, they're looking for their LSD back.

Posted on: 2014/5/22 2:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
I think the USA plan is already in play after Europe.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/43050933/ns ... t-computers/#.U31Lck7D-mc

So much for being that 'family restaurant' the contributes to youth employment in a given location - Its corporate greed with zero community interest. I hope society boycotts them and more local communities ban them from operating or opening stores in their neighborhoods

Chick Fil A is better, plus they let employees stay home on Sunday and shut down for Christmas and Thanksgiving!

Zero community interest? 80% are independently owned, often by local owners and contribute to local charities, schools. And you're ignoring the great work they do with their Ronald McDonald houses for families of ill children. Zero?? Nonsense.

Helping a sick child fight their illness takes a big enough emotional toll on a family. Adding a financial strain can make it all almost too much to bear. RMHC can help address those problems, whether they involve housing that?s near a hospitalized child, the expense of staying together in another city, or even getting basic medical and dental care in a vulnerable community. These programs can be found in more than 290 local Chapters in 58 countries and regions:
?338 Ronald McDonald Houses
?196 Ronald McDonald Family Rooms
?50 Ronald McDonald Care Mobiles
?Grants to non-profit organizations that also focus on the needs of children
?Scholarships to students across the United States
?Chapters around the world creating country-specific programs

Since 1974, RMHC has helped address these needs every day, with nearly 144,000 volunteers and staff members, our connections with medical communities around the world, partnerships with respected companies and our generous donors. We couldn't do it without all of you.

Ronald McDonald House is a band-aid response to the overwhelming evidence that fast food chains - especially McDonalds are the major facilitator of diabetes and obesity in the country and worldwide.

McDonalds is alike the US military in Iraq when they bombed the siht out of everything with more civilians killed then those in conflict, then send in humanitarian and charity organisations to band-aid the aftermath and then claim how wonderful we are - McDonalds do exactly the same and use McDonald House to project a positive corporate image that I believe has more to do with tax reasons.

Its no secret that McDonalds and other fast food franchises exploit their workers with pay and conditions and just because its a locally owned franchise doesn't mean they can act independently. As for sponsoring and community grants, its all got to do with marketing a product that has a huge negative health impact on the community (like children's sporting organisations) - If you do any research, you will find that they target a specific socioeconomic group and community for where they operate - its a predatory well calculated business directive and its not a secret that they do it.

India, China and Russia now has a much high diabetic problem as a direct result of McDonalds and other fast food chains swamping their country. A little research will show many European countries are now banning McDonalds or not allowing them to be called restaurants!

Posted on: 2014/5/22 1:54
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

So much for being that 'family restaurant' the contributes to youth employment in a given location - Its corporate greed with zero community interest. I hope society boycotts them and more local communities ban them from operating or opening stores in their neighborhoods

Did you read your own pictures? McDonalds pays the minimum wage in Australia, just like they do here. Why would you single them out?

Posted on: 2014/5/22 1:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Botswana
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
And you're ignoring the great work they do with their Ronald McDonald houses for families of ill children. Zero?? Nonsense.

Helping a sick child fight their illness takes a big enough emotional toll on a family. Adding a financial strain can make it all almost too much to bear. RMHC can help address those problems, whether they involve housing that?s near a hospitalized child, the expense of staying together in another city, or even getting basic medical and dental care in a vulnerable community. These programs can be found in more than 290 local Chapters in 58 countries and regions:

Since 1974, RMHC has helped address these needs every day, with nearly 144,000 volunteers and staff members, our connections with medical communities around the world, partnerships with respected companies and our generous donors. We couldn't do it without all of you.

Oh puleeese. Smoke and mirrors, smoke and mirrors. Of course they act charitably. Pick up a copy of Paulo Freire's "Pedagogy Of the Oppressed" and learn some about how the dominant elite operate. The RMHC is a classic case of manipulation. What gets manipulated is the public's perception. Placing humanity over profits is anathema to modern day AMERICAN corporations.

The Revolution Will Not Be Televised

Posted on: 2014/5/22 1:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Chick Fil A is better, plus they let employees stay home on Sunday and shut down for Christmas and Thanksgiving!

Zero community interest? 80% are independently owned, often by local owners and contribute to local charities, schools. And you're ignoring the great work they do with their Ronald McDonald houses for families of ill children. Zero?? Nonsense.

Posted on: 2014/5/22 1:24

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017