Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
54 user(s) are online (48 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 54

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: McGinley Square? Kensignton ave safe?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
With the recent spate of muggings in DTJC (most recently on Sunday/Monday morning - Columbus and Warren- committed by some thugs from east orange), i don't think anywhere in JC is safe.

Quote:

sammicat wrote:
I have looked into moving into this area in the past, but I always get turned off as you get to Bergen and further east. You can check Spotcrime.com -- there have been a number of shootings on Bergen in the past (I think JCPD has stopped providing stats for Spotcrime as I don't see anything recent). When I have asked people on the street, they have indicated that it has gotten a lot better since they closed housing projects that were on Duncan. Some of the houses in the area are just beautiful, but, I would stay on Kennedy as much as possible.

Posted on: 2014/5/13 22:01

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/27 1:26
Group:
Registered Users
I have looked into moving into this area in the past, but I always get turned off as you get to Bergen and further east. You can check Spotcrime.com -- there have been a number of shootings on Bergen in the past (I think JCPD has stopped providing stats for Spotcrime as I don't see anything recent). When I have asked people on the street, they have indicated that it has gotten a lot better since they closed housing projects that were on Duncan. Some of the houses in the area are just beautiful, but, I would stay on Kennedy as much as possible.

Posted on: 2014/5/13 21:58

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/23 19:46
From 30 Regent
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ConstantReader wrote:
Yes, I think Kensington is a pretty decent block, especially as you get closer to Kennedy.

As a woman who has lived on Duncan between Bergen and Kennedy for several years, I feel okay about walking home from Journal Square in the evening up until about 9pm or even 9:30pm. After that, I would definitely take a cab or bus.

SOme of my female neighbors prefer to take Bergen at night, although it's seedier, because it has more foot traffic. I think Kennedy is okay, too, in part because of the campus security at St. Peter's. I haven't had any problems on either route. If I had to go as far as Kensington at night, I'd take Kennedy over Bergen because the Jewett and Bergen intersection seems a little sketchier to me.

Obviously, it's an urban area, so you do have to keep your wits about you. And yes, it's block by block--I tend to avoid most streets south of Kensington between Bergen and Kennedy, for instance. The local precinct might be able to give you more detailed guidance. Good luck!

Thanks! Your comments help more than you know..especially since you live on Duncan, which I heard can be a little sketchy. I know the neighborhood is getting better though.
Thanks again

Posted on: 2014/5/12 20:00

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/9 14:35
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, I think Kensington is a pretty decent block, especially as you get closer to Kennedy.

As a woman who has lived on Duncan between Bergen and Kennedy for several years, I feel okay about walking home from Journal Square in the evening up until about 9pm or even 9:30pm. After that, I would definitely take a cab or bus.

SOme of my female neighbors prefer to take Bergen at night, although it's seedier, because it has more foot traffic. I think Kennedy is okay, too, in part because of the campus security at St. Peter's. I haven't had any problems on either route. If I had to go as far as Kensington at night, I'd take Kennedy over Bergen because the Jewett and Bergen intersection seems a little sketchier to me.

Obviously, it's an urban area, so you do have to keep your wits about you. And yes, it's block by block--I tend to avoid most streets south of Kensington between Bergen and Kennedy, for instance. The local precinct might be able to give you more detailed guidance. Good luck!

Posted on: 2014/5/12 19:45

McGinley Square? Kensignton ave safe?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/23 19:46
From 30 Regent
Group:
Registered Users
Hey everyone,

My girlfriend and I are looking to move into an apartment on Kensington ave. in between Bergen & JFK. I think this is considered McGinley Square, right? The block seemed safe and in a good location when we were driving around.
However, I will not always be around since I work full-time, and my girlfriend will be taking public transportation to work(NYC) and school (Hudson CC). I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of how safe/unsafe the neighborhood is? She will mainly be walking to/from JFK as I know the closer you get to Bergen isn't exactly desirable. I've also heard that it varies block to block in this area, so any information would be great.

Thanks, I just want to keep her safe.

Posted on: 2014/5/12 13:54

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017