Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
128 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 128

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Pedestrian Cross Signals in JC

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/6 6:42
Group:
Registered Users
The Columbus / Washington light on the SE corner is the worst - the green left-turn arrow and the pedestrian walk go on at the same time.

Posted on: 2014/5/22 10:14

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/28 4:29
Group:
Registered Users
OK, Bodhipooh - JC and 6th Ave NYC not totally apples-to-apples? but OP mentioned Columbus & Grove - where else downtown will you find an intersection more heavily used by pedestrians?

I agree on your points regarding signage, education, consistency of implementation, etc, but let's cut to the chase.

If you live downtown, would you rather your neighborhood have:

+Columbus Ave traffic signals optimized to move commuter cars from the Turnpike to the waterfront and back at the highest possible rate of speed (current setup)

+Columbus Ave traffic signals optimized to favor foot traffic - i.e., people who spend money in downtown's commercial area - shops and restaurants.

If you favor a gritty commercial district split in half by the main thoroughfare with cars buzzing by at 40 mph, you vote for the former.

If you favor a commercial district with more people walking around spending more $$$, with the potential to support nicer shops and even more restaurants, you vote for the latter.

I lived downtown for a long time - not anymore - but I still drive, walk, and ride my bike there on a regular basis. Personally I'd be happy to to keep the mix of shops & restaurants the same as it is now, but in a heartbeat I'd trade a couple more minutes when I'm in my car for a bit more safety when I'm walking or on my bike.

Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Sully wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Actually, I have been to many places where pedestrians signals are slightly delayed to allow for traffic (cars) to be able to make turns. If pedestrians signals were to turn at the same time as the green light, cars will have a hard time making turns, which can lead to gridlock. Given that the city has already altered the timing of some traffic signals (possibly to prevent cars from being able to speed throughout the city) it would make sense that they would want cars to be able to turn when lights do change.

At many big intersections in Manhattan, the opposite is now true: pedestrians get the Walk signal a few seconds before traffic in the same direction gets the green light (so for a few seconds, car traffic in all directions has a red light). I've seen this specifically on 6th Avenue, at the intersections with 14th St and 23rd St... and noticed it at other intersections where an aveune crosses one of the big 2-way streets.

It is one more thing that boils down to a simple question: Is it more important to move cars around quickly, or keep pedestrians safe?

It is not that simple. The intersections you point out (6th Ave at 14th and 23rd Streets) are particularly tricky, because there is not only regular pedestrian traffic, but you also have both PATH and subway stations, so there is a lot of foot traffic, and additional people trying to navigate those intersections. You HAVE to favor pedestrians at those intersections because you would otherwise have a mass of people overflowing onto the streets.

Indeed, sometimes you must favor pedestrians, but sometimes you must favor vehicular traffic. It all comes down to the specifics of each intersection being evaluated. For the reasons I explained before (traffic signals have been altered to prevent motorists from being able to speed through some downtown areas) it is now necessary to alter the way pedestrians signals are timed. If they don't do that, downtown would quickly devolve into a vehicular mess, which wouldn't be good for anyone.

I should also point out that, based on my observations of other places and cities, most places where traffic and pedestrians lights are not mutually synched, an effort is made to point this out with a sign (e.g., "Delayed green"). I don't believe I have seen those around here in JC. Perhaps, once patterns and solutions are analyzed and made permanent, those will be implemented.

Posted on: 2014/5/13 2:56

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/14 16:17
Group:
Registered Users
Actually - 95% pedestrian. Just because drivers suck as well does not mean pedestrians don't need to heed the signals. I agree the driving around here is subpar in most instances. The two factors together are what make for a terribly dangerous environment for everyone.

Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Quote:

daisyduke wrote:
I say ticket the jaywalkers crossing against signals. There is no excuse for it. It causes traffic confusion, endangers motorists and pedestrians and teaches our children (and theirs - always kills me to see stroller moms crossing Columbus on "Don't Walk"!) to ignore the signals!

I am both a pedestrian and a driver and it is a rare exception when I see a pedestrian obey the signals.

More driver than pedestrian, I would hazard. I am a pedestrian 100% of the time, and it is a rare exception when I see a driver obey the traffic laws.

I guess I too am one of those rare pedestrians. but just this afternoon, I waited *gasp!* for a walk signal on Columbus.

as I was midway across, a driver idling at the red light decided he needed to be going in the other direction, so he ran the light and made a U-turn - from the right lane, for added awesomeness - barreling through my "it's safe to cross" crosswalk twice.

so yeah. we should totally be ticketing jaywalkers. they're the worst.

Posted on: 2014/5/13 2:30

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/25 1:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Quote:

daisyduke wrote:
I say ticket the jaywalkers crossing against signals. There is no excuse for it. It causes traffic confusion, endangers motorists and pedestrians and teaches our children (and theirs - always kills me to see stroller moms crossing Columbus on "Don't Walk"!) to ignore the signals!

I am both a pedestrian and a driver and it is a rare exception when I see a pedestrian obey the signals.

More driver than pedestrian, I would hazard. I am a pedestrian 100% of the time, and it is a rare exception when I see a driver obey the traffic laws.

Agreed completely. I'm in and out of the office on Hudson at around 3/4ish, it starts to get nuts. None of those red lights are acknowledged by the drivers headed west and turning north. I gave up wishing for enforcement when last week I saw two cruisers go right through a solid red light at Grand and Hudson at two separate times. Pedestrians are not the issue, at least not in Paulus Hook.

Posted on: 2014/5/13 1:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Quote:

daisyduke wrote:

I guess I too am one of those rare pedestrians. but just this afternoon, I waited *gasp!* for a walk signal on Columbus.

as I was midway across, a driver idling at the red light decided he needed to be going in the other direction, so he ran the light and made a U-turn - from the right lane, for added awesomeness - barreling through my "it's safe to cross" crosswalk twice.

so yeah. we should totally be ticketing jaywalkers. they're the worst.

Posted on: 2014/5/13 1:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

daisyduke wrote:

Posted on: 2014/5/12 23:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityFrankie wrote:
Are there any Urban Planners on JCList? I would love to hear what the industry has to say about conventions and practices for crosswalk protocol. For instance is there an accepted formula for the timing of a Walk sign? I hope there is. I picture an equation that takes into account the traffic density (both vehicular AND pedestrian) and the width of the intersection and turning lanes adjusted for the average speed of the slowest walkers. Whoever set the timing of the Walk signals at Journal Square must have been using the speed of the most fit and speedy young healthy walkers since from the moment the Walk sign illuminates there is just barely enough time to skip across to safety if you hoof it at top speed. Sucks to be you if you are mobility impaired in any way. Apparently your basic safety needs were deemed secondary to the needs of the automobile owners.

You are joking, right?! Urban planners would suggest designing systems that support a pro-pedestrian built environment - Jersey City is so retrograde and car-centric, I can't imagine ever bringing a real urban planning professional.

Posted on: 2014/5/12 23:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
Also, cross walk signs are ignored completely. Especially the ones with the white bars on the ground only. I'm glad there is new signage up and around the neighborhood.

Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Quote:

daisyduke wrote:
There are signs at Grove/Columbus alerting pedestrians to wait for walk signal and that there is a delay.

Let's say you are at an intersection that requires pushing the button, and you didn't realize it. Just push it the next cycle! Those few minutes are a small price to pay. Cars cannot just decide not to obey a signal, and those on foot should not be able to either. If the light really seems messed up, go to another corner to safely cross.

I don't understand why people can't follow the signals.

Much like in every other instance in life, when the the laws or rules don't make sense or are not appropriate for the situation they get ignored. This is not necessarily right, but it is simply human nature and it is why it is important to have the signals be correct, because poor signals make the situation worse.

Examples of things drivers routinely ignore if poorly implemented:

Bike lanes
Speed limit
Yield signs
Stop Signs
No turn on red
Solid lines indicating no passing
Yellow lights
No parking

The idea is to have traffic control that is reasonable and appropriate for the intersection. When it is not it is something worth pointing out and looking to have it fixed.

Should everyone be safe and obey the strange signals at Columbus and Grove? Yes. Will they? No, because they signals as they are currently designed are counter-intuitive and have the wrong set of priorities.

Posted on: 2014/5/12 20:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

daisyduke wrote:
There are signs at Grove/Columbus alerting pedestrians to wait for walk signal and that there is a delay.

Let's say you are at an intersection that requires pushing the button, and you didn't realize it. Just push it the next cycle! Those few minutes are a small price to pay. Cars cannot just decide not to obey a signal, and those on foot should not be able to either. If the light really seems messed up, go to another corner to safely cross.

Much like in every other instance in life, when the the laws or rules don't make sense or are not appropriate for the situation they get ignored. This is not necessarily right, but it is simply human nature and it is why it is important to have the signals be correct, because poor signals make the situation worse.

Examples of things drivers routinely ignore if poorly implemented:

Bike lanes
Speed limit
Yield signs
Stop Signs
No turn on red
Solid lines indicating no passing
Yellow lights
No parking

The idea is to have traffic control that is reasonable and appropriate for the intersection. When it is not it is something worth pointing out and looking to have it fixed.

Should everyone be safe and obey the strange signals at Columbus and Grove? Yes. Will they? No, because they signals as they are currently designed are counter-intuitive and have the wrong set of priorities.

Posted on: 2014/5/12 20:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
True. I've seen the signs but no one else pays attention to them. The police who stand on the corner don't even care if the pedestrians are crossing against a red light. All the police do is stand there eating their donuts.

Quote:

daisyduke wrote:

Posted on: 2014/5/12 20:49

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/5/12 20:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
True. I was at the light at Columbus and Grove with the delayed pedestrian signal to allow cars from
Grove/Manilla to make the right turn first onto Columbus. Pedestrians crossed the street with no regard for the solid red light and the police were right in front of hardgrove eating their donuts....If it isn't enforced, no one will follow the rules.

Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
People are calling out pedestrians for going against the signal, but when you have a mismash of signs, some of which don't activate unless you press a button you're left with pedestrians who don't know whether or not they are not supposed to cross or the button simply wasn't pressed.

This, I think, is the heart of the problem, especially along Columbus Avenue.

Posted on: 2014/5/12 20:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/28 15:24
Group:
Registered Users
The synching of lights can get complicated and each intersection represents it's own issues. However, one thing is clear: there should be no walk signs that only change if the button is pushed. The walk-signs need uniformity in this regard. People shouldn't be left confused over whether or not their turn to walk simply hasn't arrived yet or whether the walk sign hasn't changed because they failed to press the button.

The buttons could still serve a purpose under such a scenario. When pressed, they could reduce the time of the green light going in the opposite direction, since the light would then "know" that a pedestrian is waiting to cross.

Posted on: 2014/5/12 17:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
People are calling out pedestrians for going against the signal, but when you have a mismash of signs, some of which don't activate unless you press a button you're left with pedestrians who don't know whether or not they are not supposed to cross or the button simply wasn't pressed.

This, I think, is the heart of the problem, especially along Columbus Avenue.

Posted on: 2014/5/12 17:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
OK, so it seems that the issue is that most intersections require that you push the button to get a signal. Which begs a further question ... why? Why not just have the walk signal come on automatically? Is there a cost savings to not have it go automatically? I'm struggling to understand. Every signal should be automated.

Posted on: 2014/5/12 15:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
Quote:

JerseyCityFrankie wrote:
Are there any Urban Planners on JCList? I would love to hear what the industry has to say about conventions and practices for crosswalk protocol. For instance is there an accepted formula for the timing of a Walk sign? I hope there is. I picture an equation that takes into account the traffic density (both vehicular AND pedestrian) and the width of the intersection and turning lanes adjusted for the average speed of the slowest walkers. Whoever set the timing of the Walk signals at Journal Square must have been using the speed of the most fit and speedy young healthy walkers since from the moment the Walk sign illuminates there is just barely enough time to skip across to safety if you hoof it at top speed. Sucks to be you if you are mobility impaired in any way. Apparently your basic safety needs were deemed secondary to the needs of the automobile owners.

Some other thread, I forget which, taught us that it's the city engineers, not planners, who deal with this.

So, any Engineers on here?

Yup. The planning department was upset about most of the crossings having walk signs that didn't activate unless the button was pushed.

I don't know what the convention is, but I do know that what we have is a mess. People are calling out pedestrians for going against the signal, but when you have a mismash of signs, some of which don't activate unless you press a button you're left with pedestrians who don't know whether or not they are not supposed to cross or the button simply wasn't pressed.

Imagine being in a car and not knowing whether your stop signal was correct or you just didn't go through the right motions to activate the green. Sometimes you would have a turn signal as a matter of course other times it would rely on someone having to activate it manually.

Posted on: 2014/5/12 15:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sully wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Actually, I have been to many places where pedestrians signals are slightly delayed to allow for traffic (cars) to be able to make turns. If pedestrians signals were to turn at the same time as the green light, cars will have a hard time making turns, which can lead to gridlock. Given that the city has already altered the timing of some traffic signals (possibly to prevent cars from being able to speed throughout the city) it would make sense that they would want cars to be able to turn when lights do change.

At many big intersections in Manhattan, the opposite is now true: pedestrians get the Walk signal a few seconds before traffic in the same direction gets the green light (so for a few seconds, car traffic in all directions has a red light). I've seen this specifically on 6th Avenue, at the intersections with 14th St and 23rd St... and noticed it at other intersections where an aveune crosses one of the big 2-way streets.

It is one more thing that boils down to a simple question: Is it more important to move cars around quickly, or keep pedestrians safe?

It is not that simple. The intersections you point out (6th Ave at 14th and 23rd Streets) are particularly tricky, because there is not only regular pedestrian traffic, but you also have both PATH and subway stations, so there is a lot of foot traffic, and additional people trying to navigate those intersections. You HAVE to favor pedestrians at those intersections because you would otherwise have a mass of people overflowing onto the streets.

Indeed, sometimes you must favor pedestrians, but sometimes you must favor vehicular traffic. It all comes down to the specifics of each intersection being evaluated. For the reasons I explained before (traffic signals have been altered to prevent motorists from being able to speed through some downtown areas) it is now necessary to alter the way pedestrians signals are timed. If they don't do that, downtown would quickly devolve into a vehicular mess, which wouldn't be good for anyone.

I should also point out that, based on my observations of other places and cities, most places where traffic and pedestrians lights are not mutually synched, an effort is made to point this out with a sign (e.g., "Delayed green"). I don't believe I have seen those around here in JC. Perhaps, once patterns and solutions are analyzed and made permanent, those will be implemented.

Posted on: 2014/5/12 15:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/14 15:34
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
The Columbus/Grove St. intersection is unintuitive. The light changes for the cars going north but the ped crossing signal stays halted until the southbound light changes(I might have my directions reversed but this is the gist). The northbound cars must turn east or west on Columbus and I think this is the cause for the delay. The pedestrians expect the signal to change with the light and start crossing just a hair early. It then creates a backup because the northbound cars have the right of way but people are in the cross walk. I think if you put the crossing sign on when the lights initially changes you would improve pedestrian safety and not really affect the traffic. The alternative would be to have an all stops and let everyone cross without dealing with the traffic. I've made this crossing frequently and I still have to fight the urge to start walking when the lights change. Anyway it is a nightmare intersection that I try to avoid.

Posted on: 2014/5/12 14:54

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/28 4:29
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

Posted on: 2014/5/12 14:51

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/5/12 14:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityFrankie wrote:

Some other thread, I forget which, taught us that it's the city engineers, not planners, who deal with this.

So, any Engineers on here?

Posted on: 2014/5/12 13:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
People jaywalk with impunity here, what makes anyone think people pay attention to traffic lights?

It's a pet peeve of mine when pedestrians ignore traffic signals meant to manage traffic flow (i.e. when opposing traffic has a green arrow and pedestrians have a 'don't walk' sign). Happens all the time at Communipaw and JFK.

Posted on: 2014/5/12 13:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/5/12 13:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Perhaps the OP can clarify his point/question. He's been around long enough to know that some/most of the traffic signal downtown only change when the button is pressed (there was a long thread on this a while ago). My impression was that he was pointing out, or complaining, about pedestrian signals not turning as soon as the light turned green for cars.

Posted on: 2014/5/12 3:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/28 15:24
Group:
Registered Users
Agree with the OP. This is not a case of walk signal being temporarily delayed to allow cars to turn, it is a case of the walk signal never coming on. I've concluded that that at these lights in question, the walk signal will never come on unless someone pushes the button. This is senseless, except during off-hours (such as overnight).

Posted on: 2014/5/12 2:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
Many, if not most of the signals will not indicate walk unless someone pushes the button.

Posted on: 2014/5/11 21:21

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/23 0:39
Group:
Registered Users
I agree most of the delays I have seen are for cars turning.
The one light in JC that puzzles me is the intersection of Grove and Montgomery. Sometimes it doesn't seem to ever change for the ped cross signs. I haven't been walking there in a couple months so maybe it is fine now.

Posted on: 2014/5/11 18:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/5/11 18:31

Pedestrian Cross Signals in JC
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Is it me, or are most of the pedestrian cross signals a little screwy? In fact, it is pretty rare that I see one that is properly synced. The traffic lights turn green and nothing changes in the pedestrian signal. Why is this the case? And don't even get me started on the weird intersection at Columbus and Grove. Compared to other places JC's crossings seem overly complicated. In most places the pedestrian signal says go when the traffic light turns green, no?

Posted on: 2014/5/11 17:27

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017