Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
123 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 123

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Is Jersey City New York City's 'Sixth Borough'?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
So back to the original topic. The title of Sixth Borough is insulting. JC and Hudson County is its own entity with its own identity. We don't need to lean on NYC for shit. We will be just fine.

And to the owners of that monstrosity knows as 6th Borough, you're idiots. I hope you bar fails. Quickly.

Posted on: 2014/5/14 22:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
Resized Image

We're being unfair to Vigilante. Other people share his concern.

I think maybe you younger folks are just lazy or have zero personality. If you can't meet people then maybe it's not the bar or the city you're in, maybe it's you.

Posted on: 2014/5/14 20:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

We're being unfair to Vigilante. Other people share his concern.

Posted on: 2014/5/14 17:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
[quote]
RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
and further people from the city, Hoboken and the rest of NJ see no issue with coming to JC to party if only it offered more places. [/quote

Do you really think that's such a desirable thing? I don't.

Exactly. It's the classic "just build another bar" thing. Hopefully Jersey City will NEVER get the crowds like the ones in typical Hoboken bars. If anything it would be a niche bar like Aldo's or The Loop Lounge. Keep the Axe Body Spray crowd out.

Posted on: 2014/5/14 2:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Um, high taxes = "you ain't ruining my property values with some crappy club." A little tip for all you singles, get a dog.

And what, a jar of peanut butter makes "date night"?

Not sure what that means but dogs are chick magnets. If you want to meet your wife in a bar then good luck with that plan.

Posted on: 2014/5/14 2:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
[quote]
RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
and further people from the city, Hoboken and the rest of NJ see no issue with coming to JC to party if only it offered more places. [/quote

Do you really think that's such a desirable thing? I don't.

Posted on: 2014/5/14 1:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Um, high taxes = "you ain't ruining my property values with some crappy club." A little tip for all you singles, get a dog.

And what, a jar of peanut butter makes "date night"?

Posted on: 2014/5/14 1:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

Prismatic wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

Prismatic wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
or have zero concept of property values.

So Manhattan and Hoboken should be in the negatives when using your logic. Not everyone wants to be bored at home like you.

Then move to the meatpacking district in NYC or River and First Street in Hoboken and enjoy the "party." Maybe you should get yourself a boyfriend or a girlfriend or whatever and you won't be bored.

If you want quiet then move to the suburbs, its more suited for grumpy old farts like yourself.

No doubt you are one of those people who have no problem disrupting other's peace and quiet and then running off home. When you are old enough you will understand that just allowing your neighborhood to be turned into a "party" area is never a good idea. Last thing Jersey City needs or will ever get in DTJC is clubs. The young parents far outnumber the transient party crowd and will make sure of it. Go hang out in NYC and then come home, alone in a cab.

There are certainly a ton of young parents in Greenwich Village and they haven't done much to stop bars and the party crowd. I don't necessarily understand your logic. I actually do not think that the young parents outnumber the young single people in DTJC. That segment of the population is increasing, but I don't think they outnumber young unmarried people.

This...I know more singles than anyone else in JC, including myself, and with Zeppelin and a few other exceptions, we typically end up in Hoboken or NYC.

By having less nightlife JC capitulates to a whiny minority rather than a majority who would use it.

When you see the crowd at Zeppelin every weekend, it's pretty telling...there are more places need and further people from the city, Hoboken and the rest of NJ see no issue with coming to JC to party if only it offered more places.

Small places like Lucky 7s have their place as well but that is not enough.

The anti-nightlife crowd can't wonder when they see their tax bill. Good cities have good nightlife. The end. Don't like it, don't live in a city.

Posted on: 2014/5/14 0:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

Prismatic wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

Prismatic wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

So Manhattan and Hoboken should be in the negatives when using your logic. Not everyone wants to be bored at home like you.

Then move to the meatpacking district in NYC or River and First Street in Hoboken and enjoy the "party." Maybe you should get yourself a boyfriend or a girlfriend or whatever and you won't be bored.

If you want quiet then move to the suburbs, its more suited for grumpy old farts like yourself.

No doubt you are one of those people who have no problem disrupting other's peace and quiet and then running off home. When you are old enough you will understand that just allowing your neighborhood to be turned into a "party" area is never a good idea. Last thing Jersey City needs or will ever get in DTJC is clubs. The young parents far outnumber the transient party crowd and will make sure of it. Go hang out in NYC and then come home, alone in a cab.

There are certainly a ton of young parents in Greenwich Village and they haven't done much to stop bars and the party crowd. I don't necessarily understand your logic. I actually do not think that the young parents outnumber the young single people in DTJC. That segment of the population is increasing, but I don't think they outnumber young unmarried people.

This...I know more singles than anyone else in JC, including myself, and with Zeppelin and a few other exceptions, we typically end up in Hoboken or NYC.

By having less nightlife JC capitulates to a whiny minority rather than a majority who would use it.

When you see the crowd at Zeppelin every weekend, it's pretty telling...there are more places need and further people from the city, Hoboken and the rest of NJ see no issue with coming to JC to party if only it offered more places.

Small places like Lucky 7s have their place as well but that is not enough.

The anti-nightlife crowd can't wonder when they see their tax bill. Good cities have good nightlife. The end. Don't like it, don't live in a city.

Posted on: 2014/5/13 20:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
I think all of Hudson County is the 6th borough as well. Which makes sense. Not all of Queens and BK is on the subway.

I view it like this

DTJC = LIC
Hoboken = Astoria
JSQ = Jackson Heights
West Side= Bayside
Weehawken= Sunnyside
Secaucus= Floral Park

Posted on: 2014/5/13 20:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

Prismatic wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

You are the perfect example why DTJC sucks and know one hangs there. its just as lame as you.

Yeah, it's so lame.

Posted on: 2014/5/9 15:55

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/27 20:26
From Woodbridge, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Geographically, demographically, and culturally -- a resounding yes.

Politically -- no.

Actually, I would consider all of Hudson County as being "The Sixth Borough."

Posted on: 2014/5/9 12:41

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/14 19:09
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Who cares if its the sixth borough or not? Bottom line is, it's a fantastic place to live, it's culturally diverse, there's A LOT to do, it's close to everything, you can live here car free, you can live here (relatively) on a budget, you can get anywhere using public transportation ... should I keep going?

The only thing lacking in the area is a decent grocery store but I'm sure some developer has realized that already and is looking to bring in the likes of a Wegmans or TJ or WF.

Posted on: 2014/5/9 12:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

Prismatic wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

You are the perfect example why DTJC sucks and know one hangs there. its just as lame as you.

Posted on: 2014/5/9 12:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

Prismatic wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

Prismatic wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

Posted on: 2014/5/9 2:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Last thing Jersey City needs or will ever get in DTJC is clubs.

Not that clubs are my thing anymore, but there IS a place for everything, just not on a quiet residential block. I doubt anyone would have a problem with a club in the Lackawanna warehouse for example. Or in one of the commercial office areas where there's no one at night and no one living within earshot of streetnoise.

And it depends on the type of establishment. I lived across the street from the Knitting Factory, and it was no big deal, people were cool and considerate, occasionally having to ask people sitting on my steps to move so I could get in was the biggest inconvenience. Living near the Music Box, theoretically a neighborhood bar not a club, is far worse.

Posted on: 2014/5/9 2:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Prismatic wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

Prismatic wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

Posted on: 2014/5/9 0:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/10 21:37
From The Heights.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

Prismatic wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

Posted on: 2014/5/8 23:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
Agreed, that name is horrendous. Also, passed by the other day and they had 3 huge, bald badasses who looked like enforcers hanging out front. Don't know if they were bouncers or patrons but either way I will not be going there.

Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
I shudder every time I hear this name. That bar should be closed immediately. Are the owners really that oblivious that they've failed miserably??

Posted on: 2014/5/7 13:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Prismatic wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

Posted on: 2014/5/7 5:13

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/25 1:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

blanquiita wrote:
Ugh, I've said it before and I'll say it again: the term "sixth borough" is used by people who have an inferiority complex about living in NJ and need to justify that Jersey City is cool enough to live to themselves and their friends.

Posted on: 2014/5/7 1:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Where a lot of the discussion runs off the rails is relative population. How can you fairly compare 250k JC with 2.6m Brooklyn on any matter like nightlife? The only fair thing would be 630k Hudson County as 6th borough candidate, about on par with Staten I. And in that case, we woop it's ass in everything but zoo's, beaches and gigantic dumps. (Though we do have dumps to proud of)

All the other candidates are true nonsense. Only Hudson County has actual subway service to NYC rather than commuter rail, is connected by 2 auto tunnels, numerous ferries, and is closer than most of the territory of the other 4 boroughs to Manhattan, which like it or not is the sun we all orbit around.

Posted on: 2014/5/7 0:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Maybe you missed the point, but you seem to be that type. Staten Island also has night life but its not worth mentioning Just like Journal Square, Greenville, The Heights, and other parts of JC they are not worth mentioning because they are not very interesting. No one I know hangs in Hoboken, and DTJC is not interesting enough to make someone want to stay all night to (3 am) when NYC is two stops away and you could hang till 4 am or 9 am if you did after hour parties.

Journal Square has little India, the Loew's theater, and Mana Contemporary Arts. Greenville has the Greenvillian, BeLA has 660 Studios, and the Heights just got zoned for more arts spaces so I'm sure things will pop up there too. If you think these areas are "boring" it's because you apparently aren't clued in to the cultural/nightlife options there.

I spend about 1/3 of my weekends in NYC and the rest in downtown JC. Trust me, there are plenty of people closing down bars in DTJC and then heading to after parties. There is an active circuit of sorts of basement, backyard, and garage band shows as well as regular old house parties.

Methinks you may not know about these things because someone with your...disposition is not likely to get invited in the first place. But plenty of places in NYC are happy to take your money in exchange for your idea of a "good time" so feel free to continue believing that is the only interesting night life in the area.

Not everyone likes that though. Nothing wrong with these events centered on the Arts but there are plenty of people who are not into it. I like going to these things but after a while it does get to be bland. Sometimes people just like to wild out inside a club. I don't get why anyone is against having a better nightlife here as if its the apocolypse.

Posted on: 2014/5/7 0:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Maybe you missed the point, but you seem to be that type. Staten Island also has night life but its not worth mentioning Just like Journal Square, Greenville, The Heights, and other parts of JC they are not worth mentioning because they are not very interesting. No one I know hangs in Hoboken, and DTJC is not interesting enough to make someone want to stay all night to (3 am) when NYC is two stops away and you could hang till 4 am or 9 am if you did after hour parties.

Journal Square has little India, the Loew's theater, and Mana Contemporary Arts. Greenville has the Greenvillian, BeLA has 660 Studios, and the Heights just got zoned for more arts spaces so I'm sure things will pop up there too. If you think these areas are "boring" it's because you apparently aren't clued in to the cultural/nightlife options there.

I spend about 1/3 of my weekends in NYC and the rest in downtown JC. Trust me, there are plenty of people closing down bars in DTJC and then heading to after parties. There is an active circuit of sorts of basement, backyard, and garage band shows as well as regular old house parties.

Methinks you may not know about these things because someone with your...disposition is not likely to get invited in the first place. But plenty of places in NYC are happy to take your money in exchange for your idea of a "good time" so feel free to continue believing that is the only interesting night life in the area.

None of what you mentioned except for Greenvillian is my type of nightlife and Greenvillian is no longer in GV.

I did find this dtjc that I never seen its listed under yelp night life JC 718sexy funny they have a BK area code LMAO

It says they are located
368 2nd St
Jersey City, NJ 07302
Get Directions
Phone number (201) 579-0891
Business website718sexy.com

Posted on: 2014/5/6 21:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

Posted on: 2014/5/6 21:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/5/6 20:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Anyone who thinks Jersey City should become a party town is either deluded into thinking they're aging backwards or have zero concept of property values.

Posted on: 2014/5/6 20:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

greenville wrote:
Hoboken maybe, but Jersey City NOPE. JC needs to improve on nightlife before it can compare to NYC.

Tell me more about Staten Islands nightlife. Or nightlife in much of Queens, Brooklyn or Bronx. Or even nightlife in Inwood.

I can vouch for Queens, Bronx and Brooklyn and they have a shit load things going at night. Night life in BK, Queens and Bronx are all over the boroughs not just downtown. I hang in BK often, and I just started hanging in Queens at the top of this year and its buzzing.

It really depends on where. Huge swaths of each of those places are sleepy and quiet, far moreso than DTJC. Your links show that SOME parts of those boroughs have nightlife. Some parts of DTJC and Hoboken do as well.

I also notice you completely dropped Staten Island, which I would do too if I were in your place.

Posted on: 2014/5/6 19:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

greenville wrote:
Hoboken maybe, but Jersey City NOPE. JC needs to improve on nightlife before it can compare to NYC.

Tell me more about Staten Islands nightlife. Or nightlife in much of Queens, Brooklyn or Bronx. Or even nightlife in Inwood.

I can vouch for Queens, Bronx and Brooklyn and they have a shit load things going at night. Night life in BK, Queens and Bronx are all over the boroughs not just downtown. I hang in BK often, and I just started hanging in Queens at the top of this year and its buzzing.

It really depends on where. Huge swaths of each of those places are sleepy and quiet, far moreso than DTJC. Your links show that SOME parts of those boroughs have nightlife. Some parts of DTJC and Hoboken do as well.

I also notice you completely dropped Staten Island, which I would do too if I were in your place.

Posted on: 2014/5/6 19:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

greenville wrote:

Posted on: 2014/5/6 19:26

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017