Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
119 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 119

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: 27-year-old Jersey City man robbed of iPhone, says juveniles did it: police
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Moral of the story...get you kid to do it, the dirty work that is. Kind of like Fagin and the boys in Oliver Twist. No accountability here.

Posted on: 2014/3/21 10:52
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
After they send the 'boys' to jail for assault and theft they should go after the 'parents'-what are children doing out at 12:30 AM on a school night?

NJ apparently has laws on the books for tort liability for the parents of kids http://www.ojjdp.gov/pubs/reform/ch2_d.html. My quick Google seach didn't turn up whether NJ has a law holding parents criminally responsible for their kid's actions.

But to your question Monroe - would it do any good here? I suspect these kid's home and neighborhood life is so dysfunctional that this guy is not going to get restitution for his phone, and all we in the larger community are going to get is another - expensive! - prison bed to fill.

And, as a conservative you must appreciate that approach cuts both ways - fundamental right to privacy in family matters was established by the U.S. Supreme Court, and its restricted the State from impinging on parents' authority to raise a child (how else do so many kids grow up religious?).

Posted on: 2014/3/20 18:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
After they send the 'boys' to jail for assault and theft they should go after the 'parents'-what are children doing out at 12:30 AM on a school night?

Posted on: 2014/3/19 21:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/16 23:23
From Greenville
Group:
Registered Users
If you're from Jersey City, you should know to always be AWARE of your surroundings. Smartphones tend to distract but it is no excuse to ignore your personal safety.

Blaming the victim for taking his phone out at a certain time is ridiculous. Those kids didn't choose him because he had a shiny iPhone. He just fit the bill for an easy mugging.

It's late.
No one around.
The victim wasn't paying attention, most likely with his eyes on the phone screen.
Stun him with some punches and snatch what you can.

Posted on: 2014/3/19 20:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Conformist wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

Conformist wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

Adonis wrote:
Quote:

pdevoto wrote:
The question is - was he holding / using his iPhone when it was stolen? At 12:35 am, it's a pretty bad idea to be walking with an expensive piece of electronics visible.

I wonder if this had been an attempted rape would people be so ready to blame the victim, or even partially fault them.

Your comment is confusing the posting. You can pretty muh substitute anything in place of the cell phone robbery and probably come up with different theories.

Rape is worse, but the arguments being advanced against the victim in each case are exactly parallel. Why should one have to dress modestly to avoid being raped/why should one have to hide one's belongings to avoid being robbed?

Because we live in a world where bad people do bad things. You can understand this fact and take basic precautions to minimize the chance these bad things can happen to you.

Or you can live in a dream world where taking precautions is akin to "blaming the victim," refuse to take safe precautions because you "shouldn't have to," and become very bitter when you eventually get a cold splash of reality.

I agree that I would take precautions. That does not mean that in any way, shape or form you are entitled to blame someone who fails to take precautions for being robbed, or for insulting them for supposed naivete. They are wholly and 100% innocent. It is exactly this lackadaisical attitude to criminality (emphasizing lack of precautions taken by the victim rather than lack of public crime prevention efforts) that leads to higher crime.

Every person is 100% entitled to carry their cell phone openly in public without having it stolen. In many places, that would not be even remotely a risk. It is when we shrug our shoulders and say "it happens to those who don't take precautions" that such behaviors become risky.

This is complete nonsense. There are a number of factors that lead to a rise in the crime rate but warning people to take precautions is not one of them.

I think the phrase "looney left" is unnecessarily pejorative, but sometimes I wonder. Go ahead, try and find anything to support what you are saying.

Posted on: 2014/3/19 20:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/30 14:17
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

Conformist wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

Adonis wrote:
Quote:

pdevoto wrote:
The question is - was he holding / using his iPhone when it was stolen? At 12:35 am, it's a pretty bad idea to be walking with an expensive piece of electronics visible.

I wonder if this had been an attempted rape would people be so ready to blame the victim, or even partially fault them.

Your comment is confusing the posting. You can pretty muh substitute anything in place of the cell phone robbery and probably come up with different theories.

Rape is worse, but the arguments being advanced against the victim in each case are exactly parallel. Why should one have to dress modestly to avoid being raped/why should one have to hide one's belongings to avoid being robbed?

Because we live in a world where bad people do bad things. You can understand this fact and take basic precautions to minimize the chance these bad things can happen to you.

Or you can live in a dream world where taking precautions is akin to "blaming the victim," refuse to take safe precautions because you "shouldn't have to," and become very bitter when you eventually get a cold splash of reality.

I agree that I would take precautions. That does not mean that in any way, shape or form you are entitled to blame someone who fails to take precautions for being robbed, or for insulting them for supposed naivete. They are wholly and 100% innocent. It is exactly this lackadaisical attitude to criminality (emphasizing lack of precautions taken by the victim rather than lack of public crime prevention efforts) that leads to higher crime.

Every person is 100% entitled to carry their cell phone openly in public without having it stolen. In many places, that would not be even remotely a risk. It is when we shrug our shoulders and say "it happens to those who don't take precautions" that such behaviors become risky.

Posted on: 2014/3/19 20:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
OR...if this 27-year old had been permitted to carry a concealed weapon, he could have popped a cap into those bitches and got his his phone back.

Sorry, had to throw that in.

Posted on: 2014/3/19 19:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Conformist wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

Adonis wrote:
Quote:

pdevoto wrote:

Posted on: 2014/3/19 18:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Conformist wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

Adonis wrote:
Quote:

pdevoto wrote:

Exactly. If I see the door to somebody's home left open I am not motivated to enter the home to steal things. If I see somebody walking around with a phone that I covet I am not inclined to rob them of it. Making excuses for criminal activity only encourages more of it.

Posted on: 2014/3/19 17:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/30 14:17
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

Adonis wrote:
Quote:

pdevoto wrote:

Posted on: 2014/3/19 17:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Adonis wrote:
Quote:

pdevoto wrote:

Posted on: 2014/3/19 16:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/11 21:09
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Adonis wrote:

I can't tell you how much this logic annoys me. Using your iPhone on the street in JC at 12:35AM isn't analogous to an attempted rape. It's analogous to leaving your door wide open when you leave your house.

Take sensible precautions to protect your property. In JC, that means not using a phone outside after dark. Doing so attracts thieves and makes the user less perceptive to what's going on around him or her.

Posted on: 2014/3/19 16:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Of course they would!! Some troll would ask if the victim had been wearing too short a skirt, inviting the lecherous behavior from the attacker. Some people just *love* to blame the victim.

Posted on: 2014/3/19 15:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

pdevoto wrote:

Posted on: 2014/3/19 14:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
What is this, 1995? I think we're past hating on people who have cell phones, don't you?

Maybe the focus should be on the wild animals that run around bashing people in the head.

Posted on: 2014/3/19 13:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Ypu would think having a cell phone on your person could prevent a mugging. Perhaps there is an APP to stop further muggings.

Posted on: 2014/3/19 13:47

Edited by heights on 2014/3/19 14:06:56

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/20 20:01
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/3/19 13:06

27-year-old Jersey City man robbed of iPhone, says juveniles did it: police
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
A 27-year-old Jersey City man was robbed early this morning of his iPhone after a group of four boys approached him and punched him in the back of his head, according to a police report.

The 27-year-old man was walking west on Congress Street from the light rail station at 12:35 a.m. when the group approached him and a boy wearing dark clothing with a black hooded shirt punched him in the back of his head, the report stated.

Another boy wearing gray clothing struck him a second time, knocking him to the ground, officers said. Then the group of boys took the man's iPhone, which was worth $500, officers said.

The victim was evaluated by EMS workers but refused medical attention, the report stated.

Anyone with information about this incident should call the Jersey City Police Department's confidential tip line at 201-547-JAIL.
http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... _police.html#incart_river

Posted on: 2014/3/19 11:56

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017