Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
112 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 112

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Monty's Public House
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JSleeze wrote:
Like Gull's Cove 2. 7 years and counting.

Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
there really should be a limit on how long lots can stay vacant.

that hole that DelForno dug on Newark Ave....the location of the Grove Street fire....Monty's.....

can't they be charged an "eyesore tax" or something?

especially in the summertime, when the DelForno Ditch fills with stagnant pools of mosquito-nursery water.

100% THIS. While I am always against any form of governmental power to punish or take away personal property, I think this is very much justified. That hole next to "future home of Hard Grove Cafe", the unfinished Hard Grove construction, and the Monty boarded up place, are eyesores and it really is unfair for Restaurant Row, and the community at large, to allow those conditions to continue as such. There should be some sort of penalty for unfinished construction that would spur the owners to complete their projects, or to sell to someone else.

So true. I have friends that live in Gulls Cove and they are at their wit's end. There is simply no progress, no communication and just one giant work pit. Sucks for everyone that lives there.

Posted on: 2016/2/21 9:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/26 20:07
Group:
Registered Users
Like Gull's Cove 2. 7 years and counting.

Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:

that hole that DelForno dug on Newark Ave....the location of the Grove Street fire....Monty's.....

especially in the summertime, when the DelForno Ditch fills with stagnant pools of mosquito-nursery water.

100% THIS. While I am always against any form of governmental power to punish or take away personal property, I think this is very much justified. That hole next to "future home of Hard Grove Cafe", the unfinished Hard Grove construction, and the Monty boarded up place, are eyesores and it really is unfair for Restaurant Row, and the community at large, to allow those conditions to continue as such. There should be some sort of penalty for unfinished construction that would spur the owners to complete their projects, or to sell to someone else.

Posted on: 2016/2/21 0:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

135jc wrote:
MAybe all of u who find empty lots eyesores should not have moved next to them

nice try, old-timer. the vacant lots in question are all because of recent fires and/or demolitions.

even the newest newbie pre-dates these eyesores.

Posted on: 2016/2/20 20:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/22 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
MAybe all of u who find empty lots eyesores should not have moved next to them

Posted on: 2016/2/20 19:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hamhock wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:

Agreed; though if it wasn't written very carefully, the ordinance could encourage even more corruption/graft/kickbacks. "You're almost out of time....want to pass inspection? 20K or you lose everything!"

Forfeiture shouldn't be part of the penalty. Rather, "build by X date, or sell at market rate to someone who will."

Posted on: 2016/2/19 22:28

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/6 16:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:

Agreed; though if it wasn't written very carefully, the ordinance could encourage even more corruption/graft/kickbacks. "You're almost out of time....want to pass inspection? 20K or you lose everything!"

Posted on: 2016/2/19 21:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:

I remember when the Paseo was proposed and shot down. A pass through there would be nice.

Posted on: 2016/2/19 19:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 23:09
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:

YES YES YES YES YES YES a thousand times yes to this

Posted on: 2016/2/19 19:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:

Posted on: 2016/2/19 18:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/2/19 18:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

soupydumplings wrote:
Spoke to Monty himself last night. He said he hopes to be open in 2 months.

This could've been drunk talk however.

Looks like it *was* drunk talk. I just walked past it tonight, and peeked through the chain holes in the wooden fencing around it: the place looks like it has made some progress, but it definitely looks like it has some ways to go. Maybe this Summer?

It's previously been said in this thread that the owner is essentially a trust fund baby whose dad acquired this place for bragging rights. If true, this place may just never open.

I wouldn't hold my breath.

Posted on: 2016/2/19 3:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

soupydumplings wrote:

Looks like it *was* drunk talk. I just walked past it tonight, and peeked through the chain holes in the wooden fencing around it: the place looks like it has made some progress, but it definitely looks like it has some ways to go. Maybe this Summer?

Posted on: 2016/2/19 2:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

soupydumplings wrote:

I don't know... Here is the very first post of this thread, almost two years ago (March, 2014):

Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
Opening soon, now accepting resumes. This is the bar going in the former Hudson Camera space on Newark Ave.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Montys-Public-House/163692473799989

Posted on: 2015/12/27 14:13

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/5 3:11
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/12/26 22:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/17 3:49
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
I have officially resigned from playing the "when will this Jersey City establishment actually open" game.

I mean, what's close anymore? 3 months? 6 months? 5 years?

I don't know. I just hope the beer is cold when they do open. I want a lot of it.

Posted on: 2015/12/26 21:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Easy Gibson, does it look like they are close to opening?

Posted on: 2015/12/23 5:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
I'm telling you guys, you're gonna lose your shit when you see the entrance to the private room. I don't know if it's "wait four years for this" cool, but it's pretty cool. Just saying...

Posted on: 2015/12/23 2:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
Walked passed Monty's this morning like I do every morning. It's still there.

Aren't they due for an anniversary party soon?

Posted on: 2015/12/22 21:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

LimpiarElSucio wrote:
hopefully the service is faster than it takes for them to open.

my understanding of the owner is that he has no background in restaurants/bars/hospitality, rather he has a really wealth father from a persian gulf country or something who is willing to put the money up so he can tell his friends that his son is an entrepreneur in america. if true, it makes perfect sense why it is taking so long for them to open... no experience + no pressure

I believe someone related a somewhat similar story. Not sure if it was in this thread or a different one. As I remember it, the events transpired at Tilted Kilt, and some guy who claimed to be the one behind Monty's had had a few too many drinks/beers and told the person who related the story that his dad was financing his venture. Honestly, it definitely seems like this is a "more money than brains" venture. But, whatever. I just want to see the boards come down and the place put to use. If it fails, someone should be able to buy it and reopen quickly. Just as it happened with Atomic Wings.

IF the owner's history is truly as described, essentially a Middle Eastern trust fund baby whose dad bought/rented the place for bragging rights, this place won't "fail," even if no one ever sets foot in it.

Posted on: 2015/10/22 22:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

LimpiarElSucio wrote:

my understanding of the owner is that he has no background in restaurants/bars/hospitality, rather he has a really wealth father from a persian gulf country or something who is willing to put the money up so he can tell his friends that his son is an entrepreneur in america. if true, it makes perfect sense why it is taking so long for them to open... no experience + no pressure

I believe someone related a somewhat similar story. Not sure if it was in this thread or a different one. As I remember it, the events transpired at Tilted Kilt, and some guy who claimed to be the one behind Monty's had had a few too many drinks/beers and told the person who related the story that his dad was financing his venture. Honestly, it definitely seems like this is a "more money than brains" venture. But, whatever. I just want to see the boards come down and the place put to use. If it fails, someone should be able to buy it and reopen quickly. Just as it happened with Atomic Wings.

Posted on: 2015/10/22 22:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/8 0:52
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/10/22 18:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/15 0:07
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
They were bringing in sheet rock today, so I guess anything that goes behind it or above it is done.

Erie Burger had a hire notice up more than a month ago....

Posted on: 2015/10/22 16:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
they were hiring servers and bartenders 2 years ago as well.

Posted on: 2015/10/22 15:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Monty's posted on their Facebook page that they are now hiring servers and bartenders. Are they closer than we think? Anybody look inside there recently?

Posted on: 2015/10/22 3:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

EasyGibson wrote:
As a contractor based out of Jersey City, I'm thinking of getting "We Are All Monty" shirts printed. The struggle is real.

Somebody's gotta fill me in on the MTA/Thom McAn joke. I've never heard it.

Why is the MTA like Thom McAn? Both filled with 1000s of loafers.

Posted on: 2015/8/28 11:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
As a contractor based out of Jersey City, I'm thinking of getting "We Are All Monty" shirts printed. The struggle is real.

Somebody's gotta fill me in on the MTA/Thom McAn joke. I've never heard it.

Posted on: 2015/8/28 3:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/4 21:55
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
There was a time White Eagle seemed to progress more slowly than Monty's but it looks like Monty's is the slowest now ;-( I don't know the reasons but I would think that with the high rise explosion around the district it has a good chance of getting a good follow-up if/when it opens. It any, the pedestrian area looks small compared to the incoming density. I would think that Monty's could be monetized very favorably in terms of investor participation.

Posted on: 2015/8/27 23:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Speak with Pete von Camera Store - it's his building. He's usually at the Bistro's Coffee Shop.

Posted on: 2015/8/27 17:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PremiumContent wrote:
EST. 2013

Around two months ago, the last time this thread was last active, I walked by as they were working on the space and snagged some pictures. It is NOWHERE NEAR READY. The place is just one huge, messy construction site.

Posted on: 2015/8/26 22:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 1:00
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
EST. 2013

Posted on: 2015/8/26 20:55