Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
71 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 71

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Any landlord had to deal with an overcrowded apartment?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/7 13:51
Group:
Registered Users
type in your header municode jersey city

and look up overcrowding

254-99 254-100 254-101

There should be something there that applies.

Posted on: 2014/3/29 1:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Talk about overcrowding...

HOUSTON (AP) ? A house overflowing with more than 100 people presumed to be in the U.S. illegally was uncovered just outside Houston on Wednesday, a police spokesman said.

The suspected stash house was found during a search for a 24-year-old woman and her two children, a 7-year-old girl and a 5-year-old boy, that were reported missing by relatives late Tuesday after a man failed to meet them as planned at an undisclosed location on the city's north side, said John Cannon, a spokesman for the Houston Police Department. Many of the people in home that authorities said appeared to be part of a human smuggling operation were dressed only in undergarments and they were sitting in in filthy conditions and surrounded by trash bags full of old clothing, Cannon said.

When police opened the door to the home they found "a large, large group of people, some sitting on top of one another, very confined spaces," Cannon said. "They yell out the woman's name to see if she is in there, and she emerges with the two children. They're OK."

The single-family home, in southern Harris County, is about 1,500-square-feet, Cannon said. At first, officers saw only a mattress on the floor and a refrigerator in an exterior room. It was when they went further into the house that they found the people ? 94 men, all in their undergarments and shoeless, 15 women and the woman with her two children ? lying in filth in several small rooms, all with access to one bathroom and no hot water.

Many of the women said they had been in the house for three or four days, he said. One woman said she had been there for 15 days. All of them said they were hungry, thirsty and tired.

"It was just filth, very squalid-like conditions inside. Trash bags with clothing piled as high as you can see," Cannon said. "They were very surprised at the numbers of people inside. Some were just sitting on top of one another because there was just no room."

Authorities said five men have been arrested.

Houston police have handed the investigation over to U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement. ICE spokesman Greg Palmore said it has been five years since officials uncovered a house in the Houston area with this many people inside. In 2012, a house with 86 people was discovered, he said.

ICE took the people in the home into custody and they will be questioned and fed, Palmore said. The people were primarily from Guatemala, Mexico, Honduras and El Salvador, he said. Two of the people, a pregnant woman and a man, have been taken to a hospital for unknown treatment, he added. Although Palmore said it was too early to say whether this was part of a human trafficking operation, he said it appeared that way.

Houston sits about seven hours from the Mexican border, making it a popular route for immigrants, Palmore explained.

"Houston is significant for the highway corridors that make up Houston, I-45 and I-10. With those two traffic corridors you can pan out anywhere in the United States," Palmore said. "And it's very easy to assimilate into the communities here."

The home was found after Houston police were tipped off that the woman and children they were looking for may have been taken there. Cannon said police set up surveillance points outside the house early Wednesday and pulled over a car with two men inside for a routine traffic stop when they saw them leaving the driveway. Handguns and documents that suggested illegal activity were found in the car, leading police to detain the two men and enter the house, he said.

After the people were removed and a count began, three men attempted to flee on foot, Cannon said. Those men have also been detained and are suspected of illegal activity as well. In addition, police found two coops with hundreds of chickens on the property that are part of an investigation into illegal cock-fighting, he said.

Police have not identified the suspects.

AP

Posted on: 2014/3/20 14:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I suggest all landlords to put this information in a lease concerning overcrowding. I always add extra items like recycling and not having a barbecue on the roof.

I know of a landlord who uses insurance rules to regulate occupancy especially when clutter arises. It amazes me that they have to have it in writing. Just like when electrical appliances state not to be use when submerged in water. How could they not know any better ? I hope they are not parents.

Posted on: 2014/3/17 11:51

Edited by heights on 2014/3/17 12:14:01
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sutherland wrote:
I have a provision in my lease that guests cannot stay more than two weeks.

+1

Posted on: 2014/3/15 20:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/18 14:36
Group:
Registered Users
I have a provision in my lease that guests cannot stay more than two weeks.

Posted on: 2014/3/15 12:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
Bob Brescia, 5 Corners, is good & he is not unreasonable.

If your residence is Owner occupied, you have more rights than if you were an absentee. You have the right to evict for breach of contract (lease). If you are Section 8, you can call the Section 8 office. They are pretty strict about this & your tenant can loose their 'entitlement'.

Remember, it is YOUR property that is being used & abused. I made a mistake & was left with almost $10k in rent owed & damages.

(BTW, I would rather burn my house to the ground than take Section 8. I have heard way too many horror stories & seen way too many decent properties trashed. You can walk through a neighborhood & almost pick out the Section 8 houses.)

It may be under control without intervention, though I did speak to our L-T attorney about it. The tenant says the "guests" were only staying a couple of weeks while their home is getting renovated and were moving out this week. We'll see.

I'm not sure an owner occupant gets any special treatment over 3 units, and I agree about section 8. It's for slumlords on one side and professional tenants on the other. When we bought the place in question there was one section 8, she left becasue she found a new construction section 8 that also had utilities included. Amazing. And what a stupid landlord to build new a new place without separate utilities.

When the owner occupies the residence it is a slight game changer, I found this out when I sought help. As for the "only staying a week" if you didn't already get that in writing you should immediately. (The guests will be gone by such & such a date.) If it is not in writing it has the potential to become a he said/he said situation. My little dirtbag tenant was bringing all kinds of people into the house & was applying for heating & electric assistance, etc even though they were included as part of the lease agreement. (When I found that out, I made a few calls & got that stopped) I tried to get the food stamps stopped, I don't know if I was successful though. Sneaked a miserable mutt into the house that shit & pissed all over the place (ruined a hardwood floor). I was left with a $600 water bill (for 2 people that occupy a house!) & a $300 gas & electric bill that never ran beyond $70.

Bottom line - TOLERATE NOTHING! This is YOUR property, YOUR investment, YOUR sweat equity & don't let anyone abuse YOUR kindness in allowing them the privilege of living in YOUR house.

(I now have a lovely tenant treats things with the same care as if her own. I even allowed her to have her little dog who is just a silly little guy. He tough guy barks for a minute then goes back to sleep)

Posted on: 2014/3/15 12:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
4/15 15:15
Group:
Registered Users
Sadly, it is illegal in NJ to refuse Section 8. It is no longer a voluntary program.

Posted on: 2014/3/15 12:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
could an overcrowded apartment be considered as a fire or safety hazard?

Posted on: 2014/3/15 10:28
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:

If your residence is Owner occupied, you have more rights than if you were an absentee. You have the right to evict for breach of contract (lease). If you are Section 8, you can call the Section 8 office. They are pretty strict about this & your tenant can loose their 'entitlement'.

Remember, it is YOUR property that is being used & abused. I made a mistake & was left with almost $10k in rent owed & damages.

(BTW, I would rather burn my house to the ground than take Section 8. I have heard way too many horror stories & seen way too many decent properties trashed. You can walk through a neighborhood & almost pick out the Section 8 houses.)

It may be under control without intervention, though I did speak to our L-T attorney about it. The tenant says the "guests" were only staying a couple of weeks while their home is getting renovated and were moving out this week. We'll see.

I'm not sure an owner occupant gets any special treatment over 3 units, and I agree about section 8. It's for slumlords on one side and professional tenants on the other. When we bought the place in question there was one section 8, she left becasue she found a new construction section 8 that also had utilities included. Amazing. And what a stupid landlord to build new a new place without separate utilities.

Posted on: 2014/3/15 3:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
I suggest all landlords to put this information in a lease concerning overcrowding. I always add extra items like recycling and not having a barbecue on the roof.

Posted on: 2014/3/15 0:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Consult an attorney.

Whatever you do in the interim, DO NOT take a single cent of rent from any of the new 'roommates' once you do (i found this out the hard way) they become tenants.

For Occupancy limits, I use the same policy as the US Coast Guard (max 2 adults per bedroom, no children of the opposite sex can share a bedroom, a child of a certain age must have their own room, etc.) Plus I put a time limit on 'guests' of three weeks. After three weeks, they are not guests.

Aside from the 'slumlording' fear, all those extra people (especially if they are women) will cost you a lot of $$$$ extra on your water / sewer bill.

Thanks, I had seen those same limits on the state regs. As for water, OMG. When I bought the place and there were 3 large families there they were using $300 a month in water! One got evicted and the other went in search of greener Section 8 pastures.

Yeah, I'll call the Attorney.

Posted on: 2014/3/14 23:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/25 12:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

NewportNJ wrote:
Quote:

JoeGee wrote:
Smoke em out, Harlem style.

FYI as of yesterday, Harlem style is blowing up the building.

This is true.

Posted on: 2014/3/14 17:03
The All Knowing and All Powerful Joe Has Spoken!

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/12 19:50
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JoeGee wrote:

FYI as of yesterday, Harlem style is blowing up the building.

Posted on: 2014/3/13 21:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/25 12:43
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/3/13 11:49
The All Knowing and All Powerful Joe Has Spoken!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah I'll just bring in more people, I live here so the more the merrier. Who do these people think they are. Tell them insurance regulations prohibit over crowding and the clutter will present a firs hazard. They act like children they get treated like children. Take control, keep control, in the end it's your place not theirs. How many families is this building and do you live there as well ?

Posted on: 2014/3/13 11:27
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Consult an attorney.

Whatever you do in the interim, DO NOT take a single cent of rent from any of the new 'roommates' once you do (i found this out the hard way) they become tenants.

For Occupancy limits, I use the same policy as the US Coast Guard (max 2 adults per bedroom, no children of the opposite sex can share a bedroom, a child of a certain age must have their own room, etc.) Plus I put a time limit on 'guests' of three weeks. After three weeks, they are not guests.

Aside from the 'slumlording' fear, all those extra people (especially if they are women) will cost you a lot of $$$$ extra on your water / sewer bill.

Thanks, I had seen those same limits on the state regs. As for water, OMG. When I bought the place and there were 3 large families there they were using $300 a month in water! One got evicted and the other went in search of greener Section 8 pastures.

Yeah, I'll call the Attorney.

Posted on: 2014/3/12 21:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
4/15 15:15
Group:
Registered Users
Consult an attorney.

Posted on: 2014/3/12 20:53

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/6 21:33
Group:
Banned
From my younger days renting shore houses with friends, I know for a fact if the police were called to the house for a noise complaint, anyone who was not on the lease was required to immediately leave the premises. I do not know if that is NJ State law or a Long Beach Township (LBI) ordinance.

Posted on: 2014/3/12 20:52

Any landlord had to deal with an overcrowded apartment?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
One of my tenants seems to have taken in another family to add to their 6, and before I confront them I was wondering if anyone was familiar with the legalities. I don't necessarily want to evict them, but I think there's now at least 10-12 people in a 4 "bedroom" railroad.

Looking up state law about occupancy wasn't a help, according to it a railroad room can't be a bedroom at all! Even the JC Housing Authority disagrees with that regarding Section 8. But I'm pretty sure the laws about this stuff assumes the "slumlord" is the guilty party when it becomes an issue. Any info out there?

Posted on: 2014/3/12 20:34

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017