Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
97 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 97

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: Christie Administration seeks to block Tesla Motors sales
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/2 11:06
From Scenic McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Why can't we have both? Why must it be one or the other? If Tesla is the only game in town selling direct, and it's been working for them, why force them to change?

I envision a world where the consumer has the choice to buy their automobile from either direct from for the manufacturer or froma a dealer. If you buy direct you'd save money upfront, but would most likely have to take your car to a dealer or service center for maintenance. If you bought from a dealer you could pay a little more upfront, but pay a reduced amount for dealer service/ maintenance costs vs. the people who bought direct. Most people could keep their jobs, and there are pros/cons to either choice of where you buy your car.

What's so wrong with letting the free market, and consumer, decide what is right?

Posted on: 2014/3/16 12:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
I wonder how many dealerships gave the Christie's clan of family and political associates a free or heavily discounted car in the past 10 years which wouldn't have shown up on any 'books'?
Which dealership stickers do they have on their back window or around their license plates?

Put down the crack pipe . . .

My local 'dealer' employee has a lot to say on what he has noted as 'special' clientele benefits when it comes to sales and servicing of vehicles ... he is not so happy when his commission is reduced!

Posted on: 2014/3/16 4:02
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
I wonder how many dealerships gave the Christie's clan of family and political associates a free or heavily discounted car in the past 10 years which wouldn't have shown up on any 'books'?
Which dealership stickers do they have on their back window or around their license plates?

Put down the crack pipe . . .

Posted on: 2014/3/16 1:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
If you want to eliminate the auto dealer model, I would think you'd want to do the same with other industries that have similar separations of consumer/manufacturer/dealer-distributor. Or are you solely concentrating on a single company such as Tesla? If so, why? Don't you feel the same way about buying, say, a bottle of bourbon direct from Kentucky, saving money by eliminating both the distributor AND the retailer in NJ?

It would be illogical for you to deny consumers of bourbon the same benefits you want Tesla buyers to enjoy, no?

Agreed, which is why you should have asked that first before you said I was cherry picking.

Then I guess you should begin to lobby Sweeney over these issues, since it's so close to you-except there wouldn't be any Governor Christie headlines over this-which is where the faux outrage over Tesla is coming from.

Watching the looney left get ginned up over a car sold to 1%ers, made by a billionaire, sold at the Mall at Short Hills, bought with Obama 'green' tax credits, with a >$70,000 sticker-well, it good for grins and giggles.

Do they accept bitcoins?

This issue is so close to me? Since when?

You're so bad at defending your own arguments your only two tactics are to change the goalposts or to put words in my mouth. Both are evidence of failing. Keep trying though, it's cute.

Nah, cute is watching the 'progressive' lefties corkscrewing themselves into the ground trying to discredit Governor Christie over a special interest South African billionaire making more money selling expensive cars to 1%ers.

Posted on: 2014/3/16 1:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/3/16 0:58
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/7 17:42
From Ward E - Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Guess who bought tickets to the inaugural gala at Ellis Island.

* Automotive dealerships and their association, the New Jersey Coalition of Automotive Retailers, which gave a total $5,500;

By Susan K. Livio/The Star-Ledger
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on March 14, 2014 at 7:00 PM, updated March 14, 2014 at 7:01 PM

TRENTON ? From advisers and employees to lobbyists and friends, Gov. Chris Christie's supporters raised $660,000 for the inaugural gala at Ellis Island that got snowed out, according to a report filed with the New Jersey Election Law Enforcement commission that was released today.

Save Ellis Island, New Hope Baptist Church in Newark, and NJ Heroes, the nonprofit chaired by First Lady Mary Pat Christie that recognizes community contributions by nonprofits and volunteers, each received a $75,000 contribution with money left over after paying the bills, according to the report.

"We were thrilled with the response to the Inaugural," Bill Palatucci said, the governor's adviser and longtime friend. "Sure, I was looking forward to a special evening on Ellis Island, but it's important to remember that three special charities were aided as a result of the effort."

Palatucci credited Nicole Davidman Drewniak for her "usual sensational job" fund-raising, but she also was in charge of planning the event and coordinating with the National Park Service and the vendors at Ellis Island. Drewniak, the wife of Christie's press secretary Michael Drewniak, was paid $50,000, according to the report.

There were 1,400 donations to the inaugural bash, Palatucci said. Contributors included:

* Automotive dealerships and their association, the New Jersey Coalition of Automotive Retailers, which gave a total $5,500;
* Failed state Supreme Court nominee Bruce Harris, now a Turnpike Authority employee, gave $200;
* Debra Yang, a partner at Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher, the firm hired to conduct an independent review of the governor's office in the wake of the George Washington Bridge scandal, gave $500;
* Port Authority Commissioner William "Pat" Schuber gave $500;
* Prime Healthcare Services of Ontario, Ca., which has announced plans to buy three hospitals in the state, contributed $500.

Tickets sold for $500 for the Jan. 21 gala.

There is a balance of $53,401 in the account, according to the report. After all the remaining bills are paid, leftover money will be donated, Palatucci said.

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/ ... ed_660k.html#incart_river

Posted on: 2014/3/16 0:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
If you want to eliminate the auto dealer model, I would think you'd want to do the same with other industries that have similar separations of consumer/manufacturer/dealer-distributor. Or are you solely concentrating on a single company such as Tesla? If so, why? Don't you feel the same way about buying, say, a bottle of bourbon direct from Kentucky, saving money by eliminating both the distributor AND the retailer in NJ?

It would be illogical for you to deny consumers of bourbon the same benefits you want Tesla buyers to enjoy, no?

Agreed, which is why you should have asked that first before you said I was cherry picking.

Then I guess you should begin to lobby Sweeney over these issues, since it's so close to you-except there wouldn't be any Governor Christie headlines over this-which is where the faux outrage over Tesla is coming from.

Watching the looney left get ginned up over a car sold to 1%ers, made by a billionaire, sold at the Mall at Short Hills, bought with Obama 'green' tax credits, with a >$70,000 sticker-well, it good for grins and giggles.

Do they accept bitcoins?

This issue is so close to me? Since when?

You're so bad at defending your own arguments your only two tactics are to change the goalposts or to put words in my mouth. Both are evidence of failing. Keep trying though, it's cute.

Posted on: 2014/3/16 0:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Do they accept bitcoins?

Posted on: 2014/3/16 0:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Whats the big deal, manufacturing in general is all done in China, India, Taiwan and Japan.

The motoring and oil industry has been self-serving for years - Just look at all the cities that had their light-rail and rail infrastructure ripped up and who was behind it.

The unions, I believe have destroyed our motoring industry by demanding high wages and the executives in turn have produced inferior products to maintain profits. Electric and even steam cars were invented at the same time as the model A was launched.

I'd like to see the motoring industry in Detroit implode and foreign and local independant manufacturing be given a free open market run, void for political interference.

Christie has again highlighted how corporate and political bullying can undermine democracy and positive capitalism

Posted on: 2014/3/16 0:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Posted on: 2014/3/16 0:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/3/16 0:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
'Orderly fashion' ie something phased in over time so as not to render the 35,000 employees who work in the automobile dealerships across the state without jobs quickly.

Or do you care more about the handful (700, so far) NJ 1%ers who can afford a $70,000 plus car over those mid range wage earners?

I care about efficient markets more than I care about middle men or Tesla consumers.

Mandating a middle man market is illogical. If a middle market is needed, then these jobs won't go away even if they aren't forced through by the government. If these jobs aren't needed, then it's unnecessary overhead.

You can't buy cigarettes direct (well, from Indian Nations you can), liquor, wine (with some tiny exceptions), prescription drugs, yadda yadda, from manufacturers in NJ.

Feel free to pick and choose which ones you'd like to be able to buy direct. But making a special exemption for a brand owned by a billionaire, risking the jobs of tens of thousands of middle class jobs, seems silly in the short term at least.

Making it seem like Governor Christie is at the beck and call of special interests, when Tesla is one GIANT special interest themselves, is ridiculous and amusing at the same time.

And again-go after Sweeney for not writing legislation to present to Christie if you're so concerned about the 1%ers saving some money by buying direct from a tax advantaged billionaire.

Where did I pick and choose? lol quote me. You're really bad at this.

Posted on: 2014/3/16 0:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
'Orderly fashion' ie something phased in over time so as not to render the 35,000 employees who work in the automobile dealerships across the state without jobs quickly.

Or do you care more about the handful (700, so far) NJ 1%ers who can afford a $70,000 plus car over those mid range wage earners?

I care about efficient markets more than I care about middle men or Tesla consumers.

Mandating a middle man market is illogical. If a middle market is needed, then these jobs won't go away even if they aren't forced through by the government. If these jobs aren't needed, then it's unnecessary overhead.

You can't buy cigarettes direct (well, from Indian Nations you can), liquor, wine (with some tiny exceptions), prescription drugs, yadda yadda, from manufacturers in NJ.

Feel free to pick and choose which ones you'd like to be able to buy direct. But making a special exemption for a brand owned by a billionaire, risking the jobs of tens of thousands of middle class jobs, seems silly in the short term at least.

Making it seem like Governor Christie is at the beck and call of special interests, when Tesla is one GIANT special interest themselves, is ridiculous and amusing at the same time.

And again-go after Sweeney for not writing legislation to present to Christie if you're so concerned about the 1%ers saving some money by buying direct from a tax advantaged billionaire.

Posted on: 2014/3/16 0:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Posted on: 2014/3/15 23:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/3/15 23:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Changing the present system could endanger the 35,000 employees who work for NJ auto dealers at present-to benefit a BILLIONAIRE who wants to sell his $70,000 plus automobiles to 1%ers-on what planet does that make sense?

Systems have and always will change.

If we never changed industries because it would eliminate jobs, we wouldn't even be using cars in the first place. We'd be using horse & buggies (and so on).

So no, the "it will kill jobs" argument doesn't work.

Y u no free market?

I have no problem with the Democrat led NJ Legislature sending a bill to Christie to change, in an orderly fashion, the way cars are sold in NJ.

But the silly tears over a billionaire, who's had all the governmental advantages imaginable-green technology low interest loans, tax incentives ($7,500/car tax credits by the Federal Government, no sales tax in NJ on the purchase of a Tesla), benefitting someone selling cars to the 1%ers (a tax break for the rich! Sounds like a Republican ploy, no?) are pretty hilarious.

Wait, I thought you supported Christie's actions because it would save jobs? Are you ditching the argument you proposed just one post ago? (It was an illogical argument, so actually yeah, I suggest you do drop it and grasp at straws somewhere else).

And I don't have tears for anyone. I just want free markets, not politicians who block them.

Posted on: 2014/3/15 23:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

greenville wrote:
Let's see on the one hand you benefit since you can get the vehicle straight from the manufacture wholesale., but on the orther hand you negatively impact the local economy since that extra money that is tacked on for the dealer's fees is no longer there. I rather keep it the old like Christie decided since if we allow this to happen it could cripple not only the dealers but does who benefit from them having a paycheck.

Of course, that presupposes the manufacturer will pass on the savings, instead of charging retail and keeping the extra profit themselves. They won't have any competition, like the current model where dealers can charge what they like . . .

My objection to self serve gas is that if it's passed, the current price won't drop for self serve, but the attendant filled gasoline will just be more expensive.

Posted on: 2014/3/15 22:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/7 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
Let's see on the one hand you benefit since you can get the vehicle straight from the manufacture wholesale., but on the orther hand you negatively impact the local economy since that extra money that is tacked on for the dealer's fees is no longer there. I rather keep it the old like Christie decided since if we allow this to happen it could cripple not only the dealers but does who benefit from them having a paycheck.

Posted on: 2014/3/15 22:35
ಠ_ಠ

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Changing the present system could endanger the 35,000 employees who work for NJ auto dealers at present-to benefit a BILLIONAIRE who wants to sell his $70,000 plus automobiles to 1%ers-on what planet does that make sense?

If we never changed industries because it would eliminate jobs, we wouldn't even be using cars in the first place. We'd be using horse & buggies (and so on).

Y u no free market?

I have no problem with the Democrat led NJ Legislature sending a bill to Christie to change, in an orderly fashion, the way cars are sold in NJ.

But the silly tears over a billionaire, who's had all the governmental advantages imaginable-green technology low interest loans, tax incentives ($7,500/car tax credits by the Federal Government, no sales tax in NJ on the purchase of a Tesla), benefitting someone selling cars to the 1%ers (a tax break for the rich! Sounds like a Republican ploy, no?) are pretty hilarious.

Posted on: 2014/3/15 20:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Many others in this thread have thoroughly explained it to you. But since you either are trolling or have your head in the sand, you are not worth taking seriously.

You're living in a land of rainbows and puppies if you think that real manufacturers (you know, the ones that have sold more than the 700 cars Tesla has in NJ since the beginning) won't jump all over this.

Carving out deals for special interest groups-sounds like a critique that Democrats accuse Republicans of, no? But doing it for a green car maker-let's jump right on it!

Nope, all car manufacturers should jump on this, if that's what the consumer wants. We shouldn't encourage inefficiency and a system that sucks just because it creates jobs that people are forced to pay for.

Posted on: 2014/3/15 19:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Y u no free market?

Posted on: 2014/3/15 17:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Many others in this thread have thoroughly explained it to you. But since you either are trolling or have your head in the sand, you are not worth taking seriously.

You're living in a land of rainbows and puppies if you think that real manufacturers (you know, the ones that have sold more than the 700 cars Tesla has in NJ since the beginning) won't jump all over this.

Carving out deals for special interest groups-sounds like a critique that Democrats accuse Republicans of, no? But doing it for a green car maker-let's jump right on it!

Posted on: 2014/3/15 1:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Posted on: 2014/3/15 1:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/3/15 1:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Tesla Motors Statement: To the People of New Jersey

On Tuesday, under pressure from the New Jersey auto dealer lobby to protect its monopoly, the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission, composed of political appointees of the Governor, ended your right to purchase vehicles at a manufacturer store within the state. Governor Christie had promised that this would be put to a vote of the elected state legislature, which is the appropriate way to change the law. When it became apparent to the auto dealer lobby that this approach would not succeed, they cut a backroom deal with the Governor to circumvent the legislative process and pass a regulation that is fundamentally contrary to the intent of the law.

. . .

The rationale given for the regulation change that requires auto companies to sell through dealers is that it ensures ?consumer protection?. If you believe this, Gov. Christie has a bridge closure he wants to sell you!

Read more:

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/people-new-jersey

Posted on: 2014/3/15 1:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/5 2:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
The horror! Imagine all those poor Short Hills Mall shoppers who are having their civil rights trampled on-the 1%ers having a problem buying a car from the billionaire Tesla owner with Obama tax breaks!

And Sweeney not organizing the Legislature to allow it! It could be the civil right issue of our time methinks.

Can the NJ Senate President be impeached for this?

You are one of the best trolls on this site... always so intentionally inflammatory... or maybe its just the way you are.

Look - if a 1%-er wants a Telsa, not being able to buy it in Shorthills Mall isnt going to stop them... nor is this legislation. Dealers are a waste of space and speaking of 1%-ers... they are some of the best.

Quote:

Monroe wrote:
with two sales outlets in NJ, their existing model is ONE service center, in Springfield, to take are of the whole state for service and warranty repair. Sure not very consumer friendly . . .

I'm not sure such a big deal should be made over a car (with a huge Obama 'green' tax break) that costs over $70K, to enrich a billionaire like Elon Musk though.

Did you not just acknowledge this is a 1%-er car? This is probably one of a couple cars... I guess they will just have to towed it to Springfield for repair and use the Ranger Rover instead... as an aside - repairs on the Telsa are driven by software updates and not mechanical issues. The car is literally an electric motor, battery, and some computers... pretty simple and require less maintenance.

BTW - if you have a pension fund or a diversified 401k you are likely vested in Tesla... so Elon becoming a billionaire is probably pretty good for your retirement (I happen to know it is for mine.)

Quote:

Monroe wrote:
And just how is the electricity generated to power these 'electric' cars? Does it come from wind farms?

Actually - it can be and I think the energy that powers their rapid chargers on highways is sourced from clean providers. Read up on power scheduling if this confuses you.

Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Just imagine if Tesla sold a thousand cars without dealer support in NJ. A design fault causes every battery to fail. Consumers would be screaming at Christie after Tesla said 'well, it'll be 6 months before we can fix your cars'. But where is our consumer protection? Why did Christie allow this to happen?

Or, GM, Chrysler, and every other manufacturer decides to go the Tesla route.

Thousands and thousands of dealer employees lose their jobs.

Aside from being a HUGE logical fallacy... what you outlined is already a problem with the current dealer network... read recent news on Chevy Cobalt... they wont be able to fix the cars fast enough before the current recall potentially kills someone again... the car shouldn't be driven. I'd gamble your Cobalt buyer doesnt have a second car either.

I see your point on jobs... but that would assume that someone flips a switch and dealers go away... which isnt going to happen. What happened to all the factory workers in NJ - oh yeah, that's right - the economy changed and they found new jobs.

God - you are so inflammatory... (and kinda ignorant)

Posted on: 2014/3/12 21:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JoeGee wrote:
As big of a skeezbag the average car dealer is thought to be, having franchised independently owned dealerships does actually creates jobs.

So then lets ban internet shopping. Tons of jobs have been lost as customers choose to shop online instead of in retail stores.

Posted on: 2014/3/12 20:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/25 12:43
Group:
Registered Users
As big of a skeezbag the average car dealer is thought to be, having franchised independently owned dealerships does actually creates jobs.

Posted on: 2014/3/12 20:00
The All Knowing and All Powerful Joe Has Spoken!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
The horror! Imagine all those poor Short Hills Mall shoppers who are having their civil rights trampled on-the 1%ers having a problem buying a car from the billionaire Tesla owner with Obama tax breaks!

And Sweeney not organizing the Legislature to allow it! It could be the civil right issue of our time methinks.

Can the NJ Senate President be impeached for this?

You speak in the language of corrupt politicians. Very impressive. Erecting massive trade barriers for protectionism isn't a problem because Teslas are for the 1%, who of course we hate. Boooo 1%, yay corrupt dealership model.

Seriously guys, we need legislative action to repeal the dealership model.

I wouldn't go that far. Before Christie and his cabinet on the MVC changed the law, New Jersey plainly allowed for direct sales and a dealership model. If some people enjoy the dealership experience, let them continue. But do not take away the rights of others who want to buy a car like a Tesla.

Not true. They had been given a waiver, with the understanding that they would have a chance to lobby the Legislature to change the law or negotiate with Trenton over this. Every dealer has to renew yearly. And, with two sales outlets in NJ, their existing model is ONE service center, in Springfield, to take are of the whole state for service and warranty repair. Sure not very consumer friendly . . .

I'm not sure such a big deal should be made over a car (with a huge Obama 'green' tax break) that costs over $70K, to enrich a billionaire like Elon Musk though.

So if consumers are unsatisfied then they won't buy the cars.

By the way, I drive a nice, big, luxury SUV with a huge engine that in some respects is the opposite of a Tesla. That said, you're full of it if you are arguing that Tesla is no big deal. It is an all electric car with a decent range and great performance and handling characteristic. That is a huge departure from anything else currently on the market. It is the first electric car that people actually want to buy. That is something to be encouraged, supported, and grown. To say nothing that it is an American success story that demonstrates that this country still has the ability to innovate. If your archaic dealership requirements are standing in the way of progress and innovation then guess what the solution is?

Posted on: 2014/3/12 19:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 1:00
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
I think Monroe needs a psyhciatic evaluation.

Posted on: 2014/3/12 19:41

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017