Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
149 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 149

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Fulop proposes 2014 budget with 2.1% tax cut, investment in Jersey City parks
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

His ambitions and goals are not relevant. All that matters is whether or not he's doing a decent job.

I half agree and half disagree. I agree with the "if he's doing a decent job" then it's ok. I disagree that he's doing a decent job.

When someone's future ambitions are more important than the current job, you'll see nothing but superficial changes that do nothing but get the person elected later on, and those changes fade immediately after they're gone. Hence why I'd respect him if he did something, ANYthing to challenge the port authority in a feasible way. That's just one thing I'd like to see.

Posted on: 2014/3/11 15:59

Re: Fulop proposes 2014 budget with 2.1% tax cut, investment in Jersey City parks
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
instead of cutting ttaxes, maybe its better use the money to better fund the animal shelter or the libraries

I would like that, particularly the shelter, but we can't deny that government sucks at funding priorities. If taxes were 2% higher, I have little faith that the money would generally go to the right places.

Posted on: 2014/3/11 15:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Yes, thank you. Another poster supporting my earlier predictions. Mark my words, every headline you'll see, and every "accomplishment" you'll see happen is for the sole purpose of election to higher office....

Who cares?

His ambitions and goals are not relevant. All that matters is whether or not he's doing a decent job.

In fact, I'd rather have someone who cares about their reputation. I'd also prefer someone who plans to be in office for 2 or 3 terms, rather than 5 or 6.

Quote:
It's all superficial garbage which makes splashy headlines, and does nothing for the city.

- 2.1% tax cut
- paying into the pension fund
- investing in the parks

That doesn't sound terribly "superficial." (Nor is the budget the full list of what he's working on.)

Quote:
We have yet to see the kid mayor do something of value and fix something structurally wrong with Jersey City's situation (speak out/challenge the Port Authority on PATH issues, for example).

He's suing PA for $400 million in unpaid taxes. I'd say that qualifies as "challenging PA."

Quote:
Until then, I'll be voting for whomever else is running against him.

Suit yourself. I doubt anyone would do a much better job. Heck, at this point I'd settle for "less corrupt than the average Hudson County politician."

Posted on: 2014/3/11 15:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
instead of cutting ttaxes, maybe its better use the money to better fund the animal shelter or the libraries

feel free to donate extra to these causes in lieu of the tax cut

Posted on: 2014/3/11 14:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/28 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
Fascinating crowd here. Had taxes gone up of course the masses would have been out with pitchforks, but even when they go slightly down some sad miserable people have a reason to complain (which I guess is the M.O. of many posts here). While I ultimately do pity you folk, I think some people will always inherently find a reason to be negative and complain. In addition, I know many people have completely written off this Mayor because he did not blindly follow their pet issue.

Of course consolidating the city government, a broad expansion of after school and recreational programs, putting police officers back on the beat, investing in parks, an already successful prisoner reentry and employment program, etc... are all insignificant accomplishments and don't matter. Only "my" issue matters!

But- do not despair miserable ones! There will certainly be unsuitable and under prepared candidates to waste money on in 3 years time.

Posted on: 2014/3/11 14:53

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/1/14 12:53
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I could care less about the animal shelter.

Posted on: 2014/3/11 14:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/3/11 14:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
Yes, thank you. Another poster supporting my earlier predictions. Mark my words, every headline you'll see, and every "accomplishment" you'll see happen is for the sole purpose of election to higher office. It's all superficial garbage which makes splashy headlines, and does nothing for the city.

We have yet to see the kid mayor do something of value and fix something structurally wrong with Jersey City's situation (speak out/challenge the Port Authority on PATH issues, for example). Until then, I'll be voting for whomever else is running against him. I'll vote Healy back for all I care, not that he would run again. Or, god forbid...a republican (that was a joke, they know better than to run for office in this partisan hell hole).

Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Seems to me that Fulop is another Booker-wannabe!

Posted on: 2014/3/11 12:51

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/5 14:23
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

richieveal wrote:
I want them to start slashing the taxes but to give a perspective of what he is proposing....2.1% of $12,000 is only $252. We need 10-20% cut. What's even more funny about this is that the beginning of the year I got a notice that my taxes went $210 a month. It's such a joke.
I pay all this and send my kids to private school on top of this.
Then again I don't ever plan on leaving.

I agree completely. I'm paying a fortune in taxes downtown and Fulop is basically telling me to pay 10k per year for my kids preschool or have him bussed to the westside, all because he refuses to give the 9th st Annex to the school board. What am I paying for again?

Posted on: 2014/3/11 12:03

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/1/14 12:53
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I want them to start slashing the taxes but to give a perspective of what he is proposing....2.1% of $12,000 is only $252. We need 10-20% cut. What's even more funny about this is that the beginning of the year I got a notice that my taxes went $210 a month. It's such a joke.
I pay all this and send my kids to private school on top of this.
Then again I don't ever plan on leaving.

Posted on: 2014/3/11 11:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
I think that 2.1% could be better used elsewhere, such as creating a general fund or hiring more people to fix the roads, etc.

I'm getting tired of politicians who think their only goal is to cut taxes and they automatically get kudos. Seems to me that Fulop is another Booker-wannabe!

Posted on: 2014/3/11 9:17

Fulop proposes 2014 budget with 2.1% tax cut, investment in Jersey City parks
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Fulop proposes 2014 budget with 2.1% tax cut, investment in Jersey City parks

By Mike D'Onofrio/The Jersey Journal
March 10, 2014 at 7:21 PM

Mayor Steve Fulop is bullish about Jersey City's financial future and he wants to cut property taxes this year by more than 2 percent while investing in public parks and the city's employee pension fund.

Fulop gave council members their first glimpse at his $501 million 2014 budget Monday night. The mayor proposed to reduce property taxes by 2.1 percent and offered a "framework" for the council to cut taxes even more.

"It's a responsible document that has visibility into this year and the next year as well," Fulop said.

Fulop expects $118 million in new taxes to fill the city's coffers this year, an amount he said was "among the highest in New Jersey."

As property taxes dip, Fulop said he wants to slim down the city government.

In addition to already restructuring the Jersey City Police and Fire departments into a Department of Public Safety, the mayor expects savings from eventually dissolving the Jersey City Parking Authority.

The consolidations will offer a "significant cost savings" for the city, Fulop said. The council was also given a "framework for additional savings," Fulop said, which could add up to a 5.6-percent cut in property taxes.

"There are things in here ... where we can realize additional savings," Fulop said. "We look forward to an ongoing dialogue and your feedback to see where we can improve."

The mayor's budget invests $6 million in Jersey City's 13 parks ? the largest single-year investment in five years. While light on specifics, the mayor said the city will also make new hires, such as in the Department of Public Works.

The city's pension system also gets a boost from the mayor in his budget. Fulop budgeted $2 million for the city employee pension payouts ? the first investment since 2010.

The 2014 budget is also expected to be available on the city's website within the next two weeks, Fulop said. Residents will also be able to see past budgets, accompanied by charts and specific line items.

The council will vote to introduce Fulop's budget on Wednesday night.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... estment.html#incart_river

Posted on: 2014/3/11 6:48

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017