Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
117 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 117

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: NY POST: Jersey City is reaching for the sky
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sp2xs wrote:
Quote:

maybeMoving wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
From drab to fab, Jersey City's alluring architecture is making "Chilltown" hot

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style ... e-1.1713502#ixzz2vJ3Kjo88

Weird article and an obvious developer paid fluff piece. They're decrying the drab, characterless developments of 20 years ago while pumping the new characterless developments.

Perhaps, but I find this quote encouraging:

Quote:
The LeFrak team is now hard at work reversing missteps of earlier decades. Many of the older buildings are being revamped with new storefronts and amenities to make them more attractive inside and out. New landscaping and public programming is also trying to enliven the streetscape, which had been more driven by cars.

Any attempt to integrate the Newport neighborhood into the surrounding communities is a nice step forward. I know it will take a while, but still...

I wouldn't read too much into the quote other than that they're having trouble renting out units in the old buildings. Given the state they were in the last few times I've been in them, that is hardly surprising.

Posted on: 2014/3/10 20:12

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/16 17:45
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

maybeMoving wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Weird article and an obvious developer paid fluff piece. They're decrying the drab, characterless developments of 20 years ago while pumping the new characterless developments.

Perhaps, but I find this quote encouraging:

Quote:
The LeFrak team is now hard at work reversing missteps of earlier decades. Many of the older buildings are being revamped with new storefronts and amenities to make them more attractive inside and out. New landscaping and public programming is also trying to enliven the streetscape, which had been more driven by cars.

Any attempt to integrate the Newport neighborhood into the surrounding communities is a nice step forward. I know it will take a while, but still...

Posted on: 2014/3/10 18:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/24 20:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/3/10 15:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Access to transit was not my concern. Access to the JC nightlife was what I referenced. Around Grove street exists restaurant row on Newark Ave. There are also a few nice places on Manilla and Grove. Thus, I was pointing out the distance to socializing. I assumed this was obvious based on my subsequent statement that Newport is boring and vanilla...

You mentioned the walk to the PATH as opposed to the JSQ projects. That's not right.

As to nightlife, Newport is right by the Hoboken spots.

Are you being deliberately obtuse? Where in here does PATH get mentioned:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Newport is not much closer to Grove than Journal Square is. Think about restaurant row on Newark Ave. Do a simple Google Map of it and you?re looking at a 5 minute difference walking to Barcade, or a dollar or two price difference in a cab.

Anyone with half an ounce of reading comprehension could follow the two sentences and realize that I was talking about food and nightlife.

As for Hoboken, it's a mile and a half walk to get to there. That is a further distance than Grove Street area.

Are you serious? Here's what you wrote:

Quote:

I won?t argue that the prices should be the same, but Newport condos do have a walk to the PATH. From my understanding, these buildings will basically have a PATH entrance inside them.

Clearly this had nothing to do with the PATH.

As to distance, it is under a mile along the river with no traffic stops. One can make it in under 10 minutes. Granted, Grove is roughly the same in terms of distance, but because you cross traffic lights it takes longer. Journal Square really is 1.5 miles from Grove and over 2 miles from Hoboken. Let me point out again that you're a moron.

Yes the PATH was mentioned in reference to a walk. It was also in a completely different paragraph separated by another paragraph.

It really is simple reading comprehension...

When I mentioned the PATH take a wild guess as to what I was responding to.

Posted on: 2014/3/8 2:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Access to transit was not my concern. Access to the JC nightlife was what I referenced. Around Grove street exists restaurant row on Newark Ave. There are also a few nice places on Manilla and Grove. Thus, I was pointing out the distance to socializing. I assumed this was obvious based on my subsequent statement that Newport is boring and vanilla...

You mentioned the walk to the PATH as opposed to the JSQ projects. That's not right.

Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Newport is not much closer to Grove than Journal Square is. Think about restaurant row on Newark Ave. Do a simple Google Map of it and you?re looking at a 5 minute difference walking to Barcade, or a dollar or two price difference in a cab.

Anyone with half an ounce of reading comprehension could follow the two sentences and realize that I was talking about food and nightlife.

As for Hoboken, it's a mile and a half walk to get to there. That is a further distance than Grove Street area.

Quote:

I won?t argue that the prices should be the same, but Newport condos do have a walk to the PATH. From my understanding, these buildings will basically have a PATH entrance inside them.

As to distance, it is under a mile along the river with no traffic stops. One can make it in under 10 minutes. Granted, Grove is roughly the same in terms of distance, but because you cross traffic lights it takes longer. Journal Square really is 1.5 miles from Grove and over 2 miles from Hoboken. Let me point out again that you're a moron.

Yes the PATH was mentioned in reference to a walk. It was also in a completely different paragraph separated by another paragraph.

It really is simple reading comprehension...

Posted on: 2014/3/8 1:18
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
but there is so much more to do in Hoboken than jc

What good there is to do in JC is in downtown, which won't be convenient from JSQ unless you take the train, and Hoboken will be simply too far to walk. You can walk to both from Newport easily, which I know because I freakin' lived there.

Posted on: 2014/3/8 1:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:

Quote:

Pebble wrote:

Quote:

Posted on: 2014/3/8 1:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
but there is so much more to do in Hoboken than jc

Posted on: 2014/3/8 1:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:

Quote:

Pebble wrote:

Posted on: 2014/3/7 23:37
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:

Posted on: 2014/3/7 19:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/3/7 19:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
But JSQ vs. waterfront isn't that kind of question. Waterfront is just superior. It is like comparing 140th Street in NYC to W. 72nd Street on Central Park in Manhattan. Paying the same for both just doesn't make sense.

This project is part of a renaissance of the area (at least in theory). The towers will go up and the restaurants and eateries in the area should improve to service those paying luxury rental prices.

I personally find the Newport section very boring and vanilla. The restaurants over there are overpriced for average food or they are chains. I would take the Indian restaurants over them every day of the week.

In terms of safety, there really isn?t much of an argument. Newport does have that. This should be the price difference. I also expect it to be priced at a lower point than Newport when the project finally comes online.

You do realize that Newport has a PATH station that is right there, right? No one from Newport walks to Grove PATH. In fact, Newport is close to both the Hoboken and Newport PATH stations, plus the ferry from Hoboken (used to have a ferry terminal right there, too). I hated living at Newport but their access to transport was phenomenal, and the Journal Square project will not beat Newport in this regard.

Posted on: 2014/3/7 17:24
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
But JSQ vs. waterfront isn't that kind of question. Waterfront is just superior. It is like comparing 140th Street in NYC to W. 72nd Street on Central Park in Manhattan. Paying the same for both just doesn't make sense.

This project is part of a renaissance of the area (at least in theory). The towers will go up and the restaurants and eateries in the area should improve to service those paying luxury rental prices.

I personally find the Newport section very boring and vanilla. The restaurants over there are overpriced for average food or they are chains. I would take the Indian restaurants over them every day of the week.

In terms of safety, there really isn?t much of an argument. Newport does have that. This should be the price difference. I also expect it to be priced at a lower point than Newport when the project finally comes online.

You do realize that Newport has a PATH station that is right there, right? No one from Newport walks to Grove PATH. In fact, Newport is close to both the Hoboken and Newport PATH stations, plus the ferry from Hoboken (used to have a ferry terminal right there, too). I hated living at Newport but their access to transport was phenomenal, and the Journal Square project will not beat Newport in this regard.

Posted on: 2014/3/7 16:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

brewster wrote:
Back to the OP instead of the tiresome old NY vs JC vs Bkln arguments.

I can tell you one thing that going to hold JSQ back. What attracts people with kids to Downtown & Hoboken that JSQ will likely never have? PARKS! Look at a map, there's simply no parks in the entire district. Moms will not be strolling their tykes to Enos Jones or Pershing Field every day. Sure a lot of Downtown folks will hop on the train or ferry for an outing to BPC, but would they move where ANY outing was long distance? Both the Heights and B-L are far better served in this category, especially when the new park on Garfield is completed.

This new building isn?t for families with young kids looking to go to the park. That?s what McGinley Square, Bergen Hill or Lafayette is for, if you are talking of outside downtown.
[/quote]

I agree, most high rise buildings in JC are full of roommate situations not a traditional family of four.

Posted on: 2014/3/7 14:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:

Quote:

brewster wrote:

I can tell you one thing that going to hold JSQ back. What attracts people with kids to Downtown & Hoboken that JSQ will likely never have? PARKS! Look at a map, there's simply no parks in the entire district. Moms will not be strolling their tykes to Enos Jones or Pershing Field every day. Sure a lot of Downtown folks will hop on the train or ferry for an outing to BPC, but would they move where ANY outing was long distance? Both the Heights and B-L are far better served in this category, especially when the new park on Garfield is completed.

This new building isn?t for families with young kids looking to go to the park. That?s what McGinley Square, Bergen Hill or Lafayette is for, if you are talking of outside downtown.

Posted on: 2014/3/7 14:08
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
Quote:

Binky wrote:
I can't think of any city in which the area surrounding the main bus or train terminal would be considered a desirable place to live.

Newark Penn Station/Ironbound

maybe desirable is in the mind of each inhabitant, though

I think you misread the sentence, he said desirable, not undesirable

Posted on: 2014/3/7 14:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
Quote:

Binky wrote:
I can't think of any city in which the area surrounding the main bus or train terminal would be considered a desirable place to live.

off the top of my very urbanized head:
Gare de Lyon/ XII arrondissement of Paris
Gare Montparnasse/XIV arrondissement Paris
Grand Central Station/ Midtown East Manhattan
Penn Station/Hudson Yards - Manhattan - eventually
Gares Perrache or Part-Dieu/Lyon, especially Perrache

Gare Montparnasse? No way. It's right next to that hideous edifice known as the Tour Montparnasse. Neighborhood is very bland in a city known for great neighborhoods. Now the Gare Saint Lazare...very nice area, though the Eighth does tend to be snooty.

Posted on: 2014/3/7 13:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Binky wrote:

off the top of my very urbanized head:
Gare de Lyon/ XII arrondissement of Paris
Gare Montparnasse/XIV arrondissement Paris
Grand Central Station/ Midtown East Manhattan
Penn Station/Hudson Yards - Manhattan - eventually
Gares Perrache or Part-Dieu/Lyon, especially Perrache

Posted on: 2014/3/7 13:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Binky wrote:

So true. Brooklyn and Queens to some extent benefit from the many subway lines. Meanwhile Jersey City's mass transit holes are filled by dangerous third world jitneys driven by who knows who? Meanwhile it seems the plan is to pile all the new high rises around JSQ. Ultimately the PATH trains are doomed as a lone viable transportation system. The trains are already bursting at the seams and getting worse. I took the JSQ train from NYC twice this week at 7:45-8:00pm and the cars were packed. Been riding those trains for 25 years and they have grown steadily more crowded. Instead of being an alternative place to live with a little extra breathing room, Jersey City is becoming a giant Habitrail.

Posted on: 2014/3/7 5:08

Re: NY Post article on Journal Square
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

07310 wrote:
Quote:

MDM wrote:
KRE, Kushner says, plans to price its Journal Squared rentals at around $300 less per unit than its downtown Jersey City project, and at around $500 to $600 less per unit than its waterfront rentals. He expects rents will begin at roughly $1,500 a month for studios and go up to $3,500 for three-bedrooms.

Wow... I thought I was doing well getting $1,850 for a three bedroom. There is really that much demand for $3,500 per month three bedroom apartments?

These are projections, when the buildings are completed in a few years don't be surprised if the rents are closer to what is being charged on the waterfront for similar units. The cost of new construction which continues to rise and the marketplace will dictate the final rent levels.

Why would anyone pay waterfront prices to live in JSQ?

I ask myself regularly why would any one pay 2500 or more to rent anywhere in Jersey City, but folks do. I wouldn't, I would head back to Brooklyn.

Explain that for us. Your statement implies that Brooklyn is somehow superior, which I don't buy. I can buy that Manhattan is better but I draw the line at Brooklyn. In addition, luxury modern construction in Brooklyn is no cheaper, and many of us work in NJ, so commuting from Brooklyn to further out in NJ wouldn't work.

I am born in raised in Brooklyn and in my mind it will always be superior to JC, better schools, night life, culture, and 24 hr transportation... and in some ways even better than Manhattan.

I'm suing you because I was holding a bowl of hot soup and read your line about Brooklyn being better than manhattan and spilled hot soup all over myself.

Posted on: 2014/3/7 4:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/3/7 3:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2014/3/7 0:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah Newport is very strange. Terrible vibe, I really couldn't imagine living there, even though it's so close to where I live. It's totally different culturally than anywhere else in the area, like Devilsadvocate said.

Posted on: 2014/3/6 23:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
Just curious why you hated Newport with such a passion. It's clean, has reasonable access to amenities, great views and commute to NY. I could see not liking it - it's not really my taste either - but HATING it and looking to move after a month?

Neighbor/management drama. I'll leave it at that.

But you're right about all of that. The thing to note though is that it has a very specific crowd that lives there. It is very different than say, downtown JC, or NYC, or pretty much anywhere else I have lived. It didn't mesh at all. I will also note that the construction quality is absolute crap. You can hear everything. Far too many people there tend to live in apartments and you have people quite literally renting beds in their hallways.

Moved after a few months and have been very happy in JC since.

I agree with you a 100% on this. I dated someone who lived there and hated the vibe of the area and the apartment had paper walls for all that $$$ did not make sense to me.

6 freakin' people.

LMAO so true!!!!!!!

Posted on: 2014/3/6 22:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
Just curious why you hated Newport with such a passion. It's clean, has reasonable access to amenities, great views and commute to NY. I could see not liking it - it's not really my taste either - but HATING it and looking to move after a month?

But you're right about all of that. The thing to note though is that it has a very specific crowd that lives there. It is very different than say, downtown JC, or NYC, or pretty much anywhere else I have lived. It didn't mesh at all. I will also note that the construction quality is absolute crap. You can hear everything. Far too many people there tend to live in apartments and you have people quite literally renting beds in their hallways.

I agree with you a 100% on this. I dated someone who lived there and hated the vibe of the area and the apartment had paper walls for all that $$$ did not make sense to me.

Added more details to my original post, but yeah, this. Just when you combine it all with the price you realize it doesn't make any sense at all. It makes sense for many of the residents because they split that rent between like 6 freakin' people.

Posted on: 2014/3/6 22:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

JCishome wrote:

Posted on: 2014/3/6 22:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:

But you're right about all of that. The thing to note though is that it has a very specific crowd that lives there. It is very different than say, downtown JC, or NYC, or pretty much anywhere else I have lived. It didn't mesh at all. I will also note that the construction quality is absolute crap. You can hear everything. Far too many people there tend to live in apartments and you have people quite literally renting beds in their hallways. You can wait for 10 minutes to catch an elevator to get to your apartment or out of it during rush hour, which is insane. When you get it you're jam packed like a sardine with people who may or may not have bathed recently. In the end, I felt like I was renting an apartment in a massively overpriced dorm that inexplicably had numerous non-college aged people living in it. Or maybe like I was living in a certain developing country in South Asia. Either way, that, combined with the drama caused me to high tail it out of there.

Posted on: 2014/3/6 22:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/3/6 22:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:

I have lived in over a dozen rentals and places and never once considered ditching the place and getting out. With Newport, we started listing the apartment on CL within a month of moving in.

A dozen rentals !

Boy thats a lot. I wonder who or what could possibly have caused you to continually keep moving ? Lets hope the 'we' didn't have to suffer too much stress with all the moves!

It is an absolute ton. Nature of the work I do, schools I attended, etc. I basically have not stayed in the same place for over a year. Some years I had to move multiple times. Some of these places were in a variety of countries. Most apartment buildings were great. Interestingly, I have rented places that are top end and low end that I have enjoyed immensely. Of course, some I liked more than others. Newport though, was really the only place I outright hated and just needed to get out of ASAP.

Posted on: 2014/3/6 22:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:

I have lived in over a dozen rentals and places and never once considered ditching the place and getting out. With Newport, we started listing the apartment on CL within a month of moving in.

A dozen rentals !

Boy thats a lot. I wonder who or what could possibly have caused you to continually keep moving ? Lets hope the 'we' didn't have to suffer too much stress with all the moves!

Posted on: 2014/3/6 21:05
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017