Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
125 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 125

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Dog attack kills North Jersey teen, injures two others
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
I have two pits and love em.. I have a cat too, who is the shady violent one.

I don't have a pit bull, but have numerous friends with pits. I do have a large dog who I'm sure many in this thread would love to ban as well. Frankly, I'm sick of authoritarian nutcases that believe they have the right to turn urban areas into their personal Disneylands. If you want a gated community then please by all means move to a gated community. That would be a totally reasonable place to tell people about what life choices they should be making.

Anyway, hope to see your pups at the dog park. We also have a cat that is shady and violent that for some reason no one wants to ban. Go figure.

The "authoritarian nutcases" you so hate are already winning through insurance companies. If a landlord allows a vicious dog on the premises, he will have to pay a higher homeowner's insurance premium with several companies. This, not fear of legal liability, leads to de facto bans on vicious dogs, as landlords may opt for the cheaper premium and forbid tenants from owning such a dog.

Good luck fighting against that.

The trend has actually been towards less breed restrictions in insurance, not greater. You're certainly right that if one has a vicious dog with a history of eating children then they will pay more for their home insurance (unless the dog is excluded). However, some do not equate size or breed with viciousness.

But I do agree that pressure on insurance companies is important, and I have been a part of the efforts that have led to a turn-around.

Posted on: 2014/3/4 23:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

I don't have a pit bull, but have numerous friends with pits. I do have a large dog who I'm sure many in this thread would love to ban as well. Frankly, I'm sick of authoritarian nutcases that believe they have the right to turn urban areas into their personal Disneylands. If you want a gated community then please by all means move to a gated community. That would be a totally reasonable place to tell people about what life choices they should be making.

Anyway, hope to see your pups at the dog park. We also have a cat that is shady and violent that for some reason no one wants to ban. Go figure.

Welcome to an urban society with laws to govern EVERYONE'S viewpoint - I hear there are a few islands in the pacific up for sale where one can run naked and free with no social, morale or legal restrictions!

Clearly I'm proposing that JC become a lawless nudist colony. That said, morons that believe that they will be successful in banning large dogs or pit bulls or getting everyone to comply with their silly wants and desires will just continue to be extremely frustrated. Which is fine, but they're annoying and I just think everyone would be happier if they found a nice gated community where they would be perfectly safe and there would be zero undesirable dogs or people around. Also, I would have to donate less of my time and money to lobbying orgs that fight their obnoxious efforts.

Posted on: 2014/3/4 23:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

The "authoritarian nutcases" you so hate are already winning through insurance companies. If a landlord allows a vicious dog on the premises, he will have to pay a higher homeowner's insurance premium with several companies. This, not fear of legal liability, leads to de facto bans on vicious dogs, as landlords may opt for the cheaper premium and forbid tenants from owning such a dog.

Good luck fighting against that.

Posted on: 2014/3/4 23:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Welcome to an urban society with laws to govern EVERYONE'S viewpoint - I hear there are a few islands in the pacific up for sale where one can run naked and free with no social, morale or legal restrictions!

Posted on: 2014/3/4 23:23
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
I think its a shame one of those teens wasn't carrying a gun. That poor kid might be alive today.

Posted on: 2014/3/4 23:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Educational flyers are not the answer -- unless the flyers are aimed at telling landlords about the liability issues -- there needs to be bans on certain breeds -- and LHS should not be pushing the adoption of Pitbulls.

I donate money to LHS exactly so they can push the adoption of pit bulls. I prefer them adopted out to being killed. But please tell me more about the liability of landlords. I look forward to a good laugh.

Posted on: 2014/3/4 23:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
I fostered a pitbull for 6 months. She was the sweetest dog I'd ever met and super-trainable. But I'll admit that I had some concerns when I walked her - if something had set her off, there's no way I'd have been able to control her; she was as strong as an ox. I never saw a whiff of aggressive behavior from her, but I do understand peoples' fears.

Posted on: 2014/3/4 22:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/3/4 22:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/3/4 22:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
[quote]

http://www.dogsbite.org/pdf/1979-1998 ... atal-human-attacks-us.pdf

Bullmastiffs don't make the top 8. Though to be honest, I'd rather face a pit bull than a bullmastiff.

Interesting list. I wouldn't expect a husky dog to be so high up with no bullmastiff but I guess they are more dangerous than I thought.

I took another look at my lease and it prohibits even bringing (let alone owning) the following dogs onto the premises: "any dogs considered vicious, including pitbulls, rottweillers, doberman pinschers, bull mastiffs, german shepherds, and any cross breed dog containing one or more of the above breeds." So not 8 like I thought but appears to capture most of that list.

The list is not particularly useful mostly because a huge number of dogs can be made into deadly killers. In fact, any large, reasonably obedient dog will work. The primary factors here are 1) popularity, and 2) what breed is popular in particular with dangerous people. In other words, you see yuppies and hipsters rescuing pit bulls and these dogs are never the problem. But if you see some gangbanger with a pit bull, then that dog is far more likely to be an issue because this is a group that seeks to promote certain aggressive traits in dogs. But that person would be a problem with a black lab or a bull mastiff or an english mastiff. They just happen to select a pit bull because of their pre-existing image, so it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Incidentally, several locations that bothered to ban certain breeds ended up reversing those bans years later because they didn't work. The criminals just turned to other breeds.

Posted on: 2014/3/4 22:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
I can't believe that any landlord is dumb enough to open themselves up for these lawsuits -- just imagine when their insurance companies find out!

Are you a lawyer? I happen to be, by the way. What lawsuits do you imagine they are opening themselves up to simply by renting to owners with certain breeds?

By the way, I'm a homeowner in downtown JC. If I were to rent out my row house, I would absolutely welcome people with dogs of any breed without any hesitation. Yes, that includes bull mastiffs, pit bulls and any other dogs you hate.

Some of the comments here resemble racist commentary you find on various internet forums. If we just ban "those sorts" we will be safe. We'll ban large dogs, dangerous breeds, guns and anything that we're frightened of. Good luck with that. You guys will fail miserably, and I will do absolutely everything in my power to make sure of it.

Posted on: 2014/3/4 22:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Sorry to hear your son had to suffer like that. I'm surprised, but not surprised about the way the owners behaved, having encountered a similar situation while walking with a friend.

Next time, I recommend asking for the dog's registration/licensing information. If the owners of that dog are as irresponsible as they sound, they might not have properly registered the dog, as was the case in my friend's situation who was bitten by dog that lunged at her on a long leash.

I tired that once asked about a collar for the dog, nearly got my head bitten off...by the owner. They should have washed his mouth out with soap. Be careful on who you speak with people kill for less. Read the papers. Also #1 on home owners that rent to dog owners. I would go after them first.

In my particular case, the dog seemed far more threatening than the owner. I wasn't frightened by her at all, even if she did decide to scream and curse. In any case, if you see an unregistered dog, even if you don't speak to the owner, don't be afraid to report it to the police and give them as much details as you can if you don't know who the owner is or where they live. The local precinct, at least by where I lived, seemed pretty good about this.

Posted on: 2014/3/3 18:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Sorry to hear your son had to suffer like that. I'm surprised, but not surprised about the way the owners behaved, having encountered a similar situation while walking with a friend.

Next time, I recommend asking for the dog's registration/licensing information. If the owners of that dog are as irresponsible as they sound, they might not have properly registered the dog, as was the case in my friend's situation who was bitten by dog that lunged at her on a long leash.

I tired that once asked about a collar for the dog, nearly got my head bitten off...by the owner. They should have washed his mouth out with soap. Be careful on who you speak with people kill for less. Read the papers. Also #1 on home owners that rent to dog owners. I would go after them first.

Posted on: 2014/3/3 17:34
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
What got me about my son's situation yesterday was that the dog owners really wanted to just laugh it off as a youthful dog's exuberance. They were absolutely clueless (and reckless).

In our situation, the owner claimed they had just gotten the dog and didn't have time to register it yet. I informed her that we saw the home she came out of and would be contacting the police since we knew her address, who later paid her a visit, sufficiently frightening her into compliance with the law. Now her dog is on a much shorter leash and I can see the license hanging around the neck. I suppose I won't be on her Christmas card list anytime soon, but oh well.

Posted on: 2014/3/3 17:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Educational flyers are not the answer -- unless the flyers are aimed at telling landlords about the liability issues -- there needs to be bans on certain breeds -- and LHS should not be pushing the adoption of Pitbulls.

Posted on: 2014/3/3 16:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
What got me about my son's situation yesterday was that the dog owners really wanted to just laugh it off as a youthful dog's exuberance. They were absolutely clueless (and reckless).

We live near a ton of dogs - there's the cute, jumpy puppy behavior and there's the "I'm going to rip your face off because you're too close to my human owner" behavior. This dog was clearly the latter.

If someone is passing out printed consumer information designed to educate dog owners, a checklist of "personality traits to watch for" might be a good idea. "Is Your Dog Doing This?" could get them to understand their dog's social styles and warning signs that training/socialization is needed. I bet the folks at LHS would be willing to help design something.

Posted on: 2014/3/3 16:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
No, but I am a member of one. My focus for this is citywide, however, with an emphasis on the parks. It will be a coordinated push with animal control and JCPD.

Quote:

Br6dR wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
For what it's worth, I have a sit down scheduled with Candice to address this and the leash/dropping issues. My previously mentioned promise of change (read: increased enforcement) will happen. It's a matter of when, not if.

DM any specific feedback or examples any of you have with regards to reckless dog owners (and be specific).

All feedback is appreciated.

Are you the head of a neighborhood association?

Posted on: 2014/3/3 14:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
For what it's worth, I have a sit down scheduled with Candice to address this and the leash/dropping issues. My previously mentioned promise of change (read: increased enforcement) will happen. It's a matter of when, not if.

DM any specific feedback or examples any of you have with regards to reckless dog owners (and be specific).

Are you the head of a neighborhood association?

Posted on: 2014/3/3 11:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:

Right after she takes care of the reckless drivers and illegal parking? Don't hold your breath. In the past it was ALWAYS the other dog owners who reported aggressive dogs and their owners. As is usual there was never any follow up but people on this site were always willing to indict all dog owners. Nothing will happen to change those things.

Yeah, like that guy who lets his dogs run wild in the park without leashes. He should have been #1 on the to do list.

Posted on: 2014/3/3 11:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Standard dog owner response.

1. My dog is great and people friendly
2. My dog was well trained
3. Impossible for dog to escape from yard / enclosure
4. Victim at fault, must of teased the dog
5. little or no remorse for the victims

I think that's happening in your head.

In any case, most people in "urban" areas have these dogs for protection. Often the dog is mistreated and made to be mean. Drug dealers have used dogs for years as security. Often they would be left on roof-tops to keep cops from getting easy access during drug raids.

So in your head, there is every chance that 'these dogs' are mistreated, made mean for protection and anyone owning one is likely to be a drug dealer.

Was the lady downtown that had a similar dog that attacked of few people and violated a Court order to relocate them a drug dealer, mistreating her dogs or trained them mean - no need to respond as she claimed to be a loving dog owner!

We all have a view point and a theory, but by-in-large, rarely will I read that a dog owner raised their hand and be accountable for any behavior their dog did commit.

The attorney of the dog owner will, with no doubt lay blame on these kids and use facebook images of how placid and loving the dog and owner is or was.

Most likely in a weeks time this will be all forgotten and the rants will draw to a close with no change to legislation or better management codes of pet ownership.

Nah, there won't be any Facebook page, and all those standard owner responses mentioned should be in the past tense.

This vicious dog that killed the teenager has already been euthanized, and there won't be any campaign by the deceased dog's owner to get sympathy from the general public, because there's nothing to save. For this I am glad.

Regarding dog-related legislation, there was a dog attack in Princeton some years ago, where a landscaper was mauled rather badly. Because the landscaper was an illegal alien, he got no sympathy and the entire town rallied behind the family and the dog (named Congo), also in part due to a carefully engineered campaign by the family that presented the dog to be oh-so-sweet. Then an idiotic assemblyman by the name of Neil Cohen proposed "Congo's Law", which would have allowed courts to give more discretion in dog attack situations and requiring a higher standard to deem a dog "potentially dangerous", would not have required dog owners to obtain liability insurance, a presumption against euthanizing dogs and other absurd changes to the law. Then this "sweet dog" Congo mauled the owner's mother-in-law, who was apparently a much more valuable person in Princeton (the fate of the landscaper, being an illegal alien, apparently didn't matter), and the owner decided to euthanize the dog. "Congo's Law" quickly crumbled in the state assembly (THANK GOD), and the now former assemblyman Neil Cohen went to prison a few years later for possession of child pornography (something different, I know, but a testament to the guy's character).

All these experiences throughout the state should teach us something about dog-related legislation. People may have a right to own a dog, but how many more vicious attacks do we need to have happen to get some serious legislation about this? Because it seems like the only legislation that has ever been proposed went in the other direction, very dangerous.

Posted on: 2014/3/3 4:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
There is a new app the the Resident Response Center has of the Apple app store that let's you report all sorts of things including unleashed dogs. Just take a photo and send a complaint to the city via the app. It's called "JC RRC Fix-It" I used it for a blown out street light earlier tonight.

Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:

Right after she takes care of the reckless drivers and illegal parking? Don't hold your breath. In the past it was ALWAYS the other dog owners who reported aggressive dogs and their owners. As is usual there was never any follow up but people on this site were always willing to indict all dog owners. Nothing will happen to change those things.

Posted on: 2014/3/3 3:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
Wow, that dog would have gotten a sharp kick in the ribs if it attacked my son. I love dogs but Humans>Dogs

Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
To add to FAB's list...

6. Ohhh, he's jussssttt a pupppyyyyyy

Said the dog owner of the mutt that aggressively attacked my son today sending him sprawling to the ground as he tried to run away.

He's okay, just a bit shaken, but it took a lot not to go all mama-bear on the owner.

No, my son didn't try to pet the dog or provoke it. He was standing outside taking photographs when the dog walked by him and went ballistic.

Posted on: 2014/3/3 3:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:

We're coming up soon to the yearly pet clinics, where the City hands out free shots, and gets people to chip and register their dogs. Why not create a 1-page flyer to hand out at those clinics, reminding dog owners of their civic responsibilities? Heck you might even include useful info like local vets, dog trainers & walkers, kennels - so people don't file it with the dog poop.

Posted on: 2014/3/3 3:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/3/3 3:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
To add to FAB's list...

Said the dog owner of the mutt that aggressively attacked my son today sending him sprawling to the ground as he tried to run away.

He's okay, just a bit shaken, but it took a lot not to go all mama-bear on the owner.

No, my son didn't try to pet the dog or provoke it. He was standing outside taking photographs when the dog walked by him and went ballistic.

Playful or not, a dog jumping on a kid is extremely dangerous. I've seen kids with bad face lacerations from dog paw wounds alone. Sounds like the dog owner was enabling that behavior, instead of curbing and correcting it. Irresponsible idiots like that don't deserve to own a dog.

Posted on: 2014/3/3 3:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2014/3/3 3:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
To add to FAB's list...

Posted on: 2014/3/3 2:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Standard dog owner response.

1. My dog is great and people friendly
2. My dog was well trained
3. Impossible for dog to escape from yard / enclosure
4. Victim at fault, must of teased the dog
5. little or no remorse for the victims

I think that's happening in your head.

In any case, most people in "urban" areas have these dogs for protection. Often the dog is mistreated and made to be mean. Drug dealers have used dogs for years as security. Often they would be left on roof-tops to keep cops from getting easy access during drug raids.

So in your head, there is every chance that 'these dogs' are mistreated, made mean for protection and anyone owning one is likely to be a drug dealer.

Was the lady downtown that had a similar dog that attacked of few people and violated a Court order to relocate them a drug dealer, mistreating her dogs or trained them mean - no need to respond as she claimed to be a loving dog owner!

We all have a view point and a theory, but by-in-large, rarely will I read that a dog owner raised their hand and be accountable for any behavior their dog did commit.

The attorney of the dog owner will, with no doubt lay blame on these kids and use facebook images of how placid and loving the dog and owner is or was.

Most likely in a weeks time this will be all forgotten and the rants will draw to a close with no change to legislation or better management codes of pet ownership.

I said 4 different things and that woman downtown represented exactly ONE dog owner, herself.

Posted on: 2014/3/3 2:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
[quote]

Bullmastiffs don't make the top 8. Though to be honest, I'd rather face a pit bull than a bullmastiff.

Interesting list. I wouldn't expect a husky dog to be so high up with no bullmastiff but I guess they are more dangerous than I thought.

I took another look at my lease and it prohibits even bringing (let alone owning) the following dogs onto the premises: "any dogs considered vicious, including pitbulls, rottweillers, doberman pinschers, bull mastiffs, german shepherds, and any cross breed dog containing one or more of the above breeds." So not 8 like I thought but appears to capture most of that list.

Posted on: 2014/3/3 1:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
I can't believe that any landlord is dumb enough to open themselves up for these lawsuits -- just imagine when their insurance companies find out!

My apartment building will allow dogs but not 8 specific breeds, including pit bulls and bull mastiffs (like the one that killed the kid in this story).

Seems like a smart policy. I bet almost all of the fatal dog attacks are only caused by these 8 breeds.

Posted on: 2014/3/3 1:20

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017