Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
84 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 84

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Re: music restrictions for Exchange Place to be introduced by city council
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Annod wrote:
More unannounced noise from Exchange Place today. It is not on anybody's calendar. It is not in the Jersey City website. it is not in the Jersey Journal.

I walked by it earlier. Looks like it was some kind of Cuban festival hosted by the radio station 96.3.

Posted on: 2014/6/2 1:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
More unannounced noise from Exchange Place today. It is not on anybody's calendar. It is not in the Jersey City website. it is not in the Jersey Journal.

Posted on: 2014/6/1 16:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
The fact that 10pm on a Friday night is considered late is pathetic. Why not just set a decibel limit? Why does it have to be a shutdown once 10pm rolls in?

Don't quote me on this because I'm paraphrasing and probably don't have the specifics correct. The response to that questions is that they currently have no way of measuring and regulating decibel level. This comment is from months ago and I just can't remember why but a reason was given.

That said, some people do work on weekends, you know...

Considering these events can start at 12, it's pretty reasonable to shut it down after 10 hours of continuous blasting music. I don't live in earshot of it, but I can certainly understand the push back.

An acoustic acquisition system is not terribly expensive. Heck, you could probably get one for about $25-50K that would do the job, these days.

I do understand that there are those that work on the weekends, but they are in the minority and my guess (nothing to back it up) is that in Exchange Place there are exceptionally few that work on weekends...

I'd also say that you get a different demographics when it comes to the times that you show up. Go in the afternoon and you've parents with strollers. Arrive at 9 and you most likely do not. If you shut it down at 10, you've basically given the more likely younger crowd less time to spend at the event.

I get that there are some people complaining, but at some point there needs to be a realization that we live in an urban environment. Noise on the weekend will exist.

Let me put this nicely, anyone hanging out a street fair after 9:00pm is a F**KING LOSER.

Posted on: 2014/5/21 1:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
An acoustic acquisition system is not terribly expensive. Heck, you could probably get one for about $25-50K that would do the job, these days.

One courtesy of FAB, $15.50.

http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=348218

Posted on: 2014/5/20 19:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
The fact that 10pm on a Friday night is considered late is pathetic. Why not just set a decibel limit? Why does it have to be a shutdown once 10pm rolls in?

Don't quote me on this because I'm paraphrasing and probably don't have the specifics correct. The response to that questions is that they currently have no way of measuring and regulating decibel level. This comment is from months ago and I just can't remember why but a reason was given.

Considering these events can start at 12, it's pretty reasonable to shut it down after 10 hours of continuous blasting music. I don't live in earshot of it, but I can certainly understand the push back.

I do understand that there are those that work on the weekends, but they are in the minority and my guess (nothing to back it up) is that in Exchange Place there are exceptionally few that work on weekends...

I'd also say that you get a different demographics when it comes to the times that you show up. Go in the afternoon and you've parents with strollers. Arrive at 9 and you most likely do not. If you shut it down at 10, you've basically given the more likely younger crowd less time to spend at the event.

I get that there are some people complaining, but at some point there needs to be a realization that we live in an urban environment. Noise on the weekend will exist.

Posted on: 2014/5/20 17:40
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Pebble wrote:

Posted on: 2014/5/20 14:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
At some point people have to realize that the "DJ" blasting the music doesn't give a flying f**k about you. He doesn't live there. Same goes for that band, that parade and those people in the bar across the street. If you think even 5% of those people are going to give a flying f**k then you are deluded. The cops? They only give a flying f**k when you call them and then it's just an annoyance for them. So yes, the city needs some noise restrictions and someone who will actually enforce them but I don't have a lot of hope. Probably the best approach is to annoy the flying f**k out of the cops till they do something about it. It works.

So true, but do we need so many flying f**k's in the paragraph!

Posted on: 2014/5/20 14:08
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The city has an obligation to monitor the sound level. By the way you do not know if your hearing is fine unless it has been tested. Besides, children do not have the ability to move on their own.

Won't somebody please think of the children!?!?!?!?!?!

Maybe the children will be more well-rounded if exposed to various cultures and activities.

Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Once again, either all of your reading comprehension is so poor you can't understand what is happening, or you're willfully ignoring it and overreacting (as per usual on here), so I will reiterate:

What is happening:

Changing the end time for festivals on weekends and weekdays:
Closing hour of permitted festivals changed from 12am to 10pm on Friday and Saturday.

Closing hour of permitted festivals changed from 11pm to 8pm on Sunday through Thursday

What is NOT happening:

- No one is limiting the number of festivals
- No one is limiting the volume of festivals
- No one is eroding the multi-cultural fabric of JC

So let's just all relax here. Considering these things can begin by noon (correct me if I am wrong), and most trail off around 8/9 on weekends, this is not a big deal at all. Let's just relax and tone down the rhetoric a little.

Quote:

1stStGuy wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
the festivals should definitely be held someplace less populated. Let the people GO to the events instead of the events invading people's peace and quiet.

I agree with this completely. No one is saying the festivals should go away, just go somewhere ELSE. The LSP or some other less populated areas would be great.

The city doesn?t run Libertery STATE Park. Thus, you?re dealing with a different ball of wax.

The idea behind the festivals is to give residents in the area entertainment without having to travel. Putting people in cars to drive locations is just foolish.

I don?t begrudge those wanting some quiet on a weekday. I think 8pm is too early, maybe 9pm or 9:30pm, but it?s fine. Closing up shop at 10pm on a Friday and Saturday is silly. I think user1111 is over the top with his comments about DTJC being lame but on this front, yeah, he is right.

Posted on: 2014/5/20 14:00
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Councilwoman Osborne holds a public meeting on the issue of sound at festivals at Grundy Pier.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOwQ61 ... =UUPZCDR4rCUMJtCl7__MaEag

Posted on: 2014/5/17 18:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Annod wrote:
What's that festival at Exchange Place right now? It is NOT on the City of Jersey City calendar!

I have hearing lost in my left ear, but that music woke me up anyway! I felt it in my pillow.

This is what is going on.

http://citychallengerace.com/

Posted on: 2014/5/17 16:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Hypocrites! [!SCRIPT FILTERED!]

Posted on: 2014/5/17 15:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
At some point people have to realize that the "DJ" blasting the music doesn't give a flying f**k about you. He doesn't live there. Same goes for that band, that parade and those people in the bar across the street. If you think even 5% of those people are going to give a flying f**k then you are deluded. The cops? They only give a flying f**k when you call them and then it's just an annoyance for them. So yes, the city needs some noise restrictions and someone who will actually enforce them but I don't have a lot of hope. Probably the best approach is to annoy the flying f**k out of the cops till they do something about it. It works.

Posted on: 2014/5/17 15:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
What's that festival at Exchange Place right now? It is NOT on the City of Jersey City calendar!

I have hearing lost in my left ear, but that music woke me up anyway! I felt it in my pillow.

Posted on: 2014/5/17 14:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The World Health Organization had certain criteria in term of decibels....

I don't see anything all that authoritative about tinnitus on the WHO site. I'm sure they have much more important things to deal with.

That said, yes, excessive noise is an issue. But the problem with Exchange Place is not that they are blasting out everyone's ears. It's that the sound bounces off the towers, and travels around.

Posted on: 2014/3/26 20:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/18 23:27
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
the festivals should definitely be held someplace less populated. Let the people GO to the events instead of the events invading people's peace and quiet.

I agree with this completely. No one is saying the festivals should go away, just go somewhere ELSE. The LSP or some other less populated areas would be great.

Posted on: 2014/3/26 20:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
This issue is nothing new. I have been complaining about excessive noise from festivals and parades for years. Reverend Colon, then councilman, moved the festival after one of my complaints. By the way, festivals were not always placed on Grundy Pier. In the beginning they were in Liberty State Park or vacant land in downtown JC. Sometime in the 1990s they were assigned to Grundy Pier. But then it was more of a commercial space. I do remember taking care of a sick child who could not rest due to the excessive loud noise cause by the parades/festivals. I also remember another parade that marched down Montgomery St which set off car alarms due to the loud noise. It sound like bombs exploding in JC. Yes, I do have concerns about hearing loss because the problem happens later in life.

I don't buy the hearing loss thing so much but the festivals should definitely be held someplace less populated. Let the people GO to the events instead of the events invading people's peace and quiet. BTW, "Reverend" Colon was a PoS and I had his PoS drug-addict son put away twice for burglary.

Posted on: 2014/3/26 19:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
This issue is nothing new. I have been complaining about excessive noise from festivals and parades for years. Reverend Colon, then councilman, moved the festival after one of my complaints. By the way, festivals were not always placed on Grundy Pier. In the beginning they were in Liberty State Park or vacant land in downtown JC. Sometime in the 1990s they were assigned to Grundy Pier. But then it was more of a commercial space. I do remember taking care of a sick child who could not rest due to the excessive loud noise cause by the parades/festivals. I also remember another parade that marched down Montgomery St which set off car alarms due to the loud noise. It sound like bombs exploding in JC. Yes, I do have concerns about hearing loss because the problem happens later in life.

Posted on: 2014/3/26 18:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The World Health Organization had certain criteria in term of decibels. They did not list ethnic festivals because many are not as loud as some the festivals in Jersey City. But I am sure if you did the reading of decibel sounds of some of these festivals, they would be equivalent to a Rock Concert. People at the meeting who live in Paulus Hook said they heard the music in their apartment blocks away. That is too loud.

I can hear the festivals from my apartment, but it's a not close to being at a "rock concert" decibel"

So who is your concern here. The thildren sitting in an apartments, who cannot move, or the children whose parent's take them to the festival?

Posted on: 2014/3/26 17:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The World Health Organization had certain criteria in term of decibels. They did not list ethnic festivals because many are not as loud as some the festivals in Jersey City. But I am sure if you did the reading of decibel sounds of some of these festivals, they would be equivalent to a Rock Concert. People at the meeting who live in Paulus Hook said they heard the music in their apartment blocks away. That is too loud.

Posted on: 2014/3/26 17:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Well, I guess you disagree with the World Health Organization, which says Rock Concerts are above the decibel levels for normal hearing. In my opinion Rock Concerts noise is equivalent to the sounds coming from Grundy Pier.

What was your last rock concert? Rock concerts vary so much, I want to know what you're comparing Grundy Pier to.

Posted on: 2014/3/26 4:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Well, I guess you disagree with the World Health Organization, which says Rock Concerts are above the decibel levels for normal hearing. In my opinion Rock Concerts noise is equivalent to the sounds coming from Grundy Pier.

Posted on: 2014/3/26 3:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
- No one cares about hearing loss to young children
and the possible "ring in the ear" later in life

Street fairs and parades are not the leading causes of tinnitus.

A much more serious and pervasive cause is listening to much too loud on headphones.

Also, keep in mind this is not about Saving The Children. The goal is just to restore a little bit of peace and quiet to people who live in earshot of the festivals at Exchange Place.

Posted on: 2014/3/25 23:36

Festivals at Grundy Piers
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/3/25 21:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
You forgot to add one more

Let's not forget all the parking spaces that these parade goers take up!

heh

Posted on: 2014/3/22 0:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Let's not forget all the parking spaces that these parade goers take up!

Posted on: 2014/3/21 23:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/3/21 22:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Speaking of which, big updates coming on that front, which include recent hiring at Animal Control and a proactive enforcement (read: ticketing) campaign across DTJC.

Posted on: 2014/3/21 20:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
For me that is not true, I lived on Van Vorst Park for 40 plus years. There was the annual Puerto Rican parade, and that was it. But under the Schundler Administration, he expanded parades and festivals. We even gave start up money for these festivals. At one point we give $5,000 for each festival. I believe those funds have been cut out. Personally, it is not fair to young children, when they become adults, they might have ?ringing in the ear.? There is a place for this activity, Liberty State Park, it is wide enough to accommodate festivals plus it has parking.

Really, before moving to JC I grew up in BK, and then later moved to Bleeker st in west village and HK in NYC and there were parades and events all the time and my ears are fine. I think most people who object to these sort of things just live in the wrong city. The only parade that I witnessed that was chaotic was the St. Patty parade due to all the alcoholics... other than that get over yourselves.

It's a city so enjoy stepping in my dog's shit.

As revenge you plan on letting your unleashed dogs poop on people's parades? You really are a vigilante.

Posted on: 2014/3/21 20:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
With all due respect, what do you care? As someone who time and time again displays nothing but disdain for most of JC, but especially DTJC, so what?

You could be spending that time getting Fool-op off his high horse and addressing his silence on PATH/Port Authority or something else worthwhile.

I do admire the passion, but put that energy into something people care about.

Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Well the city will hear my views on this, because to me its bullshit just like the all the other bullshit dtjc is pushing on its residents.

Posted on: 2014/3/21 19:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Well the city will hear my views on this, because to me its bullshit just like the all the other bullshit dtjc is pushing on its residents.

Posted on: 2014/3/21 19:08

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017