Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
47 user(s) are online (32 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 47

more...




Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users




« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 10 »


Re: Fulop to solicit proposals from for-profit companies to replace FOL in running the Loew’s theater
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/6/16 22:16
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 4196
Offline
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
So which is it, Yvonne? Should we be saving and restoring historical property in the city or should be just let them fall apart?

The only reason that you even care about this is because it is a means for you to attempt to bash the mayor. Your hypocrisy is beyond pathetic.


I personally know the people who have been saving the Loews. They are good people and do not deserve this treatment. Besides many people have volunteered without pay to save this theater. This is not about me, it is about them, it is about right and wrong.

No. Buildings do not have emotion. It doesn't matter whether the people working on it are good or not. The building should be saved due to history and the fact that history is important to the future or it does not.

Your hypocrisy about whether to save our history is amazing.


Hypocrisy? Am I the one with holding funds? Your comment is just plain foolish.

Posted on: 2016/4/18 13:11
Print Top


Re: Fulop to solicit proposals from for-profit companies to replace FOL in running the Loew’s theater
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/3/29 17:43
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1884
Offline
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
So which is it, Yvonne? Should we be saving and restoring historical property in the city or should be just let them fall apart?

The only reason that you even care about this is because it is a means for you to attempt to bash the mayor. Your hypocrisy is beyond pathetic.


I personally know the people who have been saving the Loews. They are good people and do not deserve this treatment. Besides many people have volunteered without pay to save this theater. This is not about me, it is about them, it is about right and wrong.

No. Buildings do not have emotion. It doesn't matter whether the people working on it are good or not. The building should be saved due to history and the fact that history is important to the future or it does not.

Your hypocrisy about whether to save our history is amazing.

Posted on: 2016/4/18 12:48
Dos A Cero
Print Top


Re: Fulop to solicit proposals from for-profit companies to replace FOL in running the Loew’s theater
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/6/16 22:16
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 4196
Offline
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
So which is it, Yvonne? Should we be saving and restoring historical property in the city or should be just let them fall apart?

The only reason that you even care about this is because it is a means for you to attempt to bash the mayor. Your hypocrisy is beyond pathetic.


I personally know the people who have been saving the Loews. They are good people and do not deserve this treatment. Besides many people have volunteered without pay to save this theater. This is not about me, it is about them, it is about right and wrong.

Posted on: 2016/4/18 12:37
Print Top


Re: Fulop to solicit proposals from for-profit companies to replace FOL in running the Loew’s theater
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/3/29 17:43
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1884
Offline
So which is it, Yvonne? Should we be saving and restoring historical property in the city or should be just let them fall apart?

The only reason that you even care about this is because it is a means for you to attempt to bash the mayor. Your hypocrisy is beyond pathetic.

Posted on: 2016/4/18 12:09
Dos A Cero
Print Top


Re: Fulop to solicit proposals from for-profit companies to replace FOL in running the Loew’s theater
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/6/16 22:16
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 4196
Offline
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
Quote:

JerseyCityFrankie wrote:
The clear message from city hall to philanthropists is "Don't donate any money to cultural institutions, we will just take it". By this action ALL not for profits in the city have their fundraising problems magnified since potential donors will now have to worry about political nonsense like this effecting where their money would go. Would YOU donate money to a cause if you knew the city could step in and redirect it away from your intended benefactor?


The KRE contribution was not about philanthropy. It was a negotiated condition in granting the abatement.


It doesn't matter if it was philanthropy or a negotiated condition for a tax abatement. It was earmarked for the Loews. Let's not forget, KRE also received $20 million in redevelopment loans for their project. Very few developers receive that gift. It also received a 30 year tax abatement while Healy's last Journal Square project received 12 years.

Posted on: 2016/4/18 10:30

Edited by Yvonne on 2016/4/18 10:49:24
Print Top


Re: Fulop to solicit proposals from for-profit companies to replace FOL in running the Loew’s theater
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/10/18 21:18
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1506
Offline
Quote:

JerseyCityFrankie wrote:
The clear message from city hall to philanthropists is "Don't donate any money to cultural institutions, we will just take it". By this action ALL not for profits in the city have their fundraising problems magnified since potential donors will now have to worry about political nonsense like this effecting where their money would go. Would YOU donate money to a cause if you knew the city could step in and redirect it away from your intended benefactor?


The KRE contribution was not about philanthropy. It was a negotiated condition in granting the abatement.

Posted on: 2016/4/18 9:23
Print Top


Re: Fulop to solicit proposals from for-profit companies to replace FOL in running the Loew’s theater
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/6/16 22:16
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 4196
Offline
The Loews is a city institute, not a regular non-profit. The money goes directly to the city not directly to the Loews. It is the reason the city took the county funds for the Loews and directed that funding to Berry Park. Similarly if I wanted to rent the community center in Ward F, the check is made out to the city of Jersey City. Fulop rather see the building collapse then complain that the FOL is not doing anything. It is similar to a teenager who kills his parents then complains he is now an orphan. Fulop is doing everything he can to make sure FOL cannot succeed.

Posted on: 2016/4/17 23:03
Print Top


Re: Fulop to solicit proposals from for-profit companies to replace FOL in running the Loew’s theater
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/8/6 18:56
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 829
Offline
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
the city should wait until its agreement with fol expires and then do what is est for the theater, imo. i applaud fol in its saving the place from the wrecking ball, but this is a public asset and it should be managed in the best interest of the citizenry


So we have to contend with more years of leaking rain into the roof at the Loews because Fulop want to punish the FOL. That is cutting off your nose to spite your face.

No, it's playing hardball with a non-profit that can't program or fundraise its way out of a paper bag.

It also seems to me that FOL does not have many friends in this city, and deserves fewer than it has.

Posted on: 2016/4/17 22:44
Print Top


Re: Fulop to solicit proposals from for-profit companies to replace FOL in running the Loew’s theater
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/8/6 18:56
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 829
Offline
Quote:

JerseyCityFrankie wrote:
The clear message from city hall to philanthropists is "Don't donate any money to cultural institutions, we will just take it".

No, it isn't. The message is that City Hall plays hardball.


Quote:
By this action ALL not for profits in the city have their fundraising problems magnified....

No, they don't.

This wasn't a donation. It was a deal with a developer where the City granted a tax abatement, in exchange for donating to the city's redevelopment of the Loew's.

This has absolutely nothing to do with normal private donations. The City cannot randomly seize private donations to non-profits.

If anyone knows a polite way to say "get a clue," please chime in.

Posted on: 2016/4/17 22:42
Print Top


Re: Fulop to solicit proposals from for-profit companies to replace FOL in running the Loew’s theater
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2009/5/10 22:53
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 372
Offline
The clear message from city hall to philanthropists is "Don't donate any money to cultural institutions, we will just take it". By this action ALL not for profits in the city have their fundraising problems magnified since potential donors will now have to worry about political nonsense like this effecting where their money would go. Would YOU donate money to a cause if you knew the city could step in and redirect it away from your intended benefactor?

Posted on: 2016/4/17 20:55
Print Top


Re: Fulop to solicit proposals from for-profit companies to replace FOL in running the Loew’s theater
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/11/13 21:38
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 3339
Offline
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
the city should wait until its agreement with fol expires and then do what is est for the theater, imo. i applaud fol in its saving the place from the wrecking ball, but this is a public asset and it should be managed in the best interest of the citizenry


So we have to contend with more years of leaking rain into the roof at the Loews because Fulop want to punish the FOL. That is cutting off your nose to spite your face.
i'm glad we understand each other!

Posted on: 2016/4/17 20:28
Print Top


Re: Fulop to solicit proposals from for-profit companies to replace FOL in running the Loew’s theater
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/6/16 22:16
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 4196
Offline
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
the city should wait until its agreement with fol expires and then do what is est for the theater, imo. i applaud fol in its saving the place from the wrecking ball, but this is a public asset and it should be managed in the best interest of the citizenry


So we have to contend with more years of leaking rain into the roof at the Loews because Fulop want to punish the FOL. That is cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Posted on: 2016/4/17 19:30
Print Top


Re: Fulop to solicit proposals from for-profit companies to replace FOL in running the Loew’s theater
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/11/13 21:38
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 3339
Offline
the city should wait until its agreement with fol expires and then do what is est for the theater, imo. i applaud fol in its saving the place from the wrecking ball, but this is a public asset and it should be managed in the best interest of the citizenry

Posted on: 2016/4/17 15:43
Print Top


Re: Fulop to solicit proposals from for-profit companies to replace FOL in running the Loew’s theater
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/6/9 22:30
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 73
Offline
The real Fulop showing more and more everyday. This stinks!

Posted on: 2016/4/17 12:54
Print Top


Re: Fulop to solicit proposals from for-profit companies to replace FOL in running the Loew’s theater
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2010/11/16 20:11
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1125
Offline
Absolutely disgusting that the city keeps stealing money earmarked for repairs to the Loew's. What sour grapes. We're going to lost this landmark for good if the city doesn't pull its shit together and stop acting like children. If KRE donated $2 million to the Loew's to repair the roof, then that's exactly what it needs to be spent on.

Posted on: 2016/4/17 12:00
Print Top


Re: Fulop to solicit proposals from for-profit companies to replace FOL in running the Loew’s theater
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/6/16 22:16
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 4196
Offline

Posted on: 2016/4/17 9:28
Print Top


Re: Fulop to solicit proposals from for-profit companies to replace FOL in running the Loew’s theater
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/6/16 22:16
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 4196
Offline
KRE is donating $2 million to the Loews and Fulop again is taking the money. Needless to say, this upsets Councilman Boggiano.

Posted on: 2016/4/16 14:38
Print Top


Re: Fulop to solicit proposals from for-profit companies to replace FOL in running the Loew’s theater
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2007/7/4 12:37
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 473
Offline
FOL does not have the capacity to renovate and handle the Loews for prime time performances. They are arguing back and forth and trying to get the city to release funds for them. Guess what? The city and taxpayers like me are not for it, certainly for a half-done effort. What the administration has done here is hasta la vista baby after they "won". I have lived in this city for a while already, I did not sell my mansion for handsome profit and I don't live in a tax abated property and I guess I am one of the many who don't have a problem paying $$ for a top performance as compared to $ for very little.

Posted on: 2015/8/14 21:17
Print Top


Re: Fulop to solicit proposals from for-profit companies to replace FOL in running the Loew’s theater
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2009/10/7 11:46
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 2501
Offline
JJ comment

Quote:
@CEatJSQ "As I mentioned in response to Sound Machine II's post yesterday, the State Theatre in New Brunswick is a non-profit arts center -- precisely the kind of management that FOL has always said is best for the Loew's."

HOW MANY YEARS HAS FOL BEEN SAYING THAT? YOU ARE HURTING THE LOEW'S AND THE PEOPLE OF JOURNAL SQUARE (AND JC) BY SELLING US YEARS OF YOUR BS THAT YOU ARE TRYING TO HELP THE LOEW'S. JUST LOOK AT HOW MUCH WE ARE MISSING OUT ON BECAUSE OF FOL.

GIVE IT UP IT IS NOT YOURS. WALK AROUND THE JSQ NEIGHBORHOOD NO ONE WANTS YOU THERE ANYMORE. THEY WANT A MANAGEMENT COMPANY TO COME IN M-A-N-A-G-E THE LOEWS... THUS SPARKING NEW BUSINESSES TO BRING BACK THE SHINE TO THE JEWEL OF JERSEY CITY...JOURNAL SQUARE.

Posted on: 2015/8/14 19:53
Print Top


Re: Fulop to solicit proposals from for-profit companies to replace FOL in running the Loew’s theater
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2009/10/7 11:46
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 2501
Offline
JJ commnets:
Quote:
It is really is disgusting how Jersey City’s Loew’s is being held hostage by the FOL.

Give them an F’n plaque that says they helped save the Loew’s and kick them the F out now!

(but wasn’t the real savor of the Loew’s Mr. Harwood(and his money)? He only got involved to save his Square Ramp parking behind the Loews . Hartz Mountain wanted to rip down or build over the Loews but they also were going to take away Harwood’s Square Ramp parking lot. He (and his money) got involved and the city (Cucci?) eventually sold the Square Ramp property to him for next to nothing. That deal stopped the Hartz Mountain project and forced them to sell the Loews.)

The long suffering Journal Square property owners and the people of Jersey City lose with the FOL. We had the rug pulled out from under us twice with Healy’s BS campaign promises about the JSq towers. The Hotel On the Square lot still sits empty after 10 long years.

Put the Loews “ownership” to a vote by the people of Jersey City.

Why can’t we have what the New Brunswick State Theater has? They have half way decent events every few days not once a month.

http://www.statetheatrenj.org/eventst ... alendarevents/results.asp

I am tired of those stupid once a month "classic" movies that are shown. Are they shown to appease us? IT’S NOT WORKING. GET OUT!!!


Quote:

I'll take The Animals, Ringo, Pau Anka, and even Wayne Newton over a dusty old once a month movie you can catch ANY night on TCM.

Oh yeah I forgot the dusty old movie comes with an ally loaded (no pun intended) with drunken homeless people. Go walk behind the Loews and take a sniff.


Quote:
Hey Terrence you should do a piece with photos on the new JSquared tower up the Square. It is up to 20 stories already. Jesus it got that high in a few months as the Loews just sits idle. . Hey Mayor Fulop I am a big supporter of you AND Journal Square GET THEM OUT!!!!


Posted on: 2015/8/14 17:19
Print Top


Re: Fulop to solicit proposals from for-profit companies to replace FOL in running the Loew’s theater
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/6/16 22:16
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 4196
Offline
I will get back you you on the abatements because you are wrong but if you believe in this why didn't you speak at the freeholder's meeting? 10 to 12 people spoke in favor of FOL, 0 spoke in favor of the city.

Posted on: 2015/8/14 17:10
Print Top


Re: Fulop to solicit proposals from for-profit companies to replace FOL in running the Loew’s theater
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/3/29 17:43
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1884
Offline
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Do you speak for everyone, Pebble? There are more than 100 multi-dollar tax abated buildings filled with residents who are saving thousands in taxes. After all, $80 million is not paid to the city's treasury.

I hope you didn't break a hip falling off that rocker...

You're now ranting about abatements, which really has nothing at all to do with the topic.

Several facts were spread out for you.
1. FOL has not been putting on regular events.
2. FOL does not have the ability to reach out to global promoters in order to bring in the types of acts that members of the city would like to watch.

There is not one single concert venue in JC. The only thing holding up the city from having one right now is FOL. That's astounding!

I love all that they've done, but they've taken this project as far as it can go. They protected the building from your beloved Healey, who wanted to tear it down, and they've improved the interior immensely. It's time for them to recognize their own limitations and move aside so that a promoter with experience can take over.

Besides, I believe AEG was winning the contract. You should be happy. Anschutz is a religious bigot like you hating on the gays...

Posted on: 2015/8/14 16:50
Dos A Cero
Print Top


Re: Fulop to solicit proposals from for-profit companies to replace FOL in running the Loew’s theater
Newbie
Newbie


Hide User information
Joined:
2015/7/28 11:50
From jc
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 8
Offline
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Do you speak for everyone, Pebble? There are more than 100 multi-dollar tax abated buildings filled with residents who are saving thousands in taxes. After all, $80 million is not paid to the city's treasury.


That is incorrect. according to the study, the city collects almost 18 million more. However, the district and the school district get much less.

the total amount of PILOT payments in 2014 to Jersey City was $119,230,890.

If instead the properties, would pay the full taxes on "assessed value"

The total amount of what would have been paid under conventional taxes is $199,810,593 of which:

$101,302,949 would be allocated to Jersey City

$52,062,566 would be allocated to the school system

$46,445,077 would be allocated to the county


Posted on: 2015/8/14 16:48
Print Top


Re: Fulop to solicit proposals from for-profit companies to replace FOL in running the Loew’s theater
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/6/16 22:16
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 4196
Offline
Do you speak for everyone, Pebble? There are more than 100 multi-dollar tax abated buildings filled with residents who are saving thousands in taxes. After all, $80 million is not paid to the city's treasury.

Posted on: 2015/8/14 16:36
Print Top


Re: Fulop to solicit proposals from for-profit companies to replace FOL in running the Loew’s theater
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/3/29 17:43
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1884
Offline
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
It must be nice to live in tax abated condos in order to afford $150 to $300 ticket seats. But this is the reality. Fulop is acting like a little boy who lost the game and is pouting by taking the ball home. In this case he is taking the funding because he is mad with the court case results.

What sort of crap are you spewing now?!

I don't live in a tax abated property. I don't live in a condo. However, yes, I will spend money on concert tickets, sporting events, etc. Sometimes those tickets run $150. I've spent upwards of $600 to attend a single sporting event.

I'm sure after reaping all the advantages of those tax abated buildings in order to sell your downtown home, you can afford a few tickets yourself.

On this, FOL is wrong. Not only will they lose eventually, but their pettiness is losing the city a venue.

Posted on: 2015/8/14 16:14
Dos A Cero
Print Top


Re: Fulop to solicit proposals from for-profit companies to replace FOL in running the Loew’s theater
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/6/16 22:16
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 4196
Offline
It must be nice to live in tax abated condos in order to afford $150 to $300 ticket seats. But this is the reality. Fulop is acting like a little boy who lost the game and is pouting by taking the ball home. In this case he is taking the funding because he is mad with the court case results.

Posted on: 2015/8/14 16:11
Print Top


Re: Fulop to solicit proposals from for-profit companies to replace FOL in running the Loew’s
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/2/20 13:20
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 2274
Offline

Freeholders yank grant money from Loews

JERSEY CITY -- In a power struggle for control of the Historic Loews Theater in Jersey City, the Hudson County Freeholders voted to redirect grants to pay for a new park.

Seven of the nine freeholders voted to take away the money with Freeholder Gerald Balmir absent and Freeholder Bill O’Dea abstaining. O’Dea is a board member on the Friends of the Loews Theater, which currently holds the lease on the property.

The Freeholders voted to redirect a large portion of the original $600,000 in grants awarded to Loews from the Open Space Trust Fund.

The grants were originally awarded to FOL in 2009, one of which was to install air-conditioning at the theater. But some of the money was redirected to help the theater meet Jersey City building and health codes.


Read more:  Hudson Reporter - Freeholders yank grant money from Loews


Posted on: 2015/8/14 14:28
Print Top


Re: Fulop to solicit proposals from for-profit companies to replace FOL in running the Loew’s
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk


Hide User information
Joined:
2015/6/11 15:33
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 39
Offline
Quote:

Do you think Jersey City residents want a place where concert tickets cost $150, like they did when we were there earlier this summer? And two drinks were $30 (before tip) in the lobby?
Yes, 100%. I am a big time concert goer and spend thousands of dollars on tickets each year. I'd love for some of my ticket purchases to be for shows in Jersey City.

You may not be the target market, but there is a HUGE market for live music, and the costs are increasing because there is such big demand. Look at larger concert venues across the northeast, and you will see mostly sell outs and mostly tickets that are $50-$250.

Posted on: 2015/8/14 14:21
Print Top


Re: proposals from for-profit companies to replace FOL in running the Loew’s theater
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/3/29 17:43
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1884
Offline
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
"Eye-candy flack"? Really.

I don't know Ms. Morrill, but I'm sure she's very capable. Calling her "eye-candy" is disrespectful, misogynistic...and incorrect.

They're referencing the new male hire as a gay jab...


I don't think it was a gay reference at all.I think it was just a reference to his good looks and youth...

Really?!
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
And the first words I've seen attributed to Fulop/McGreevey's new eye candy flack is a lie-'we're very supportive of Loew's'.


It's not the first time that Fulop's sexuality or a shot at McGreevey's has come up...

Posted on: 2015/8/14 12:07
Dos A Cero
Print Top


Re: proposals from for-profit companies to replace FOL in running the Loew’s theater
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2005/3/1 23:49
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 802
Offline
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
"Eye-candy flack"? Really.

I don't know Ms. Morrill, but I'm sure she's very capable. Calling her "eye-candy" is disrespectful, misogynistic...and incorrect.

They're referencing the new male hire as a gay jab...


I don't think it was a gay reference at all.I think it was just a reference to his good looks and youth...

Posted on: 2015/8/14 11:44
Print Top




« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 10 »




[Advanced Search]





Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me



Lost Password?

Register now!



LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact


JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017