Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
100 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 100

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 »

Re: Fulop to solicit proposals from for-profit companies to replace FOL in running the Loew’s theater
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/2/6 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
Landmark Loew's group sues Jersey City, claiming breach of lease

By Terrence T. McDonald
The Jersey Journal

The feud between Jersey City Mayor Steve Fulop and the nonprofit organization that operates the Landmark Loew?s Jersey Theatre is headed to court, with the nonprofit filing a lawsuit today claiming Fulop?s decision to seek an outside management firm to run the legendary Journal Square theater is in violation of a 2004 lease between the city and the nonprofit.

The nonprofit, Friends of the Loew?s (FOL), says in the 13-page lawsuit that the city has broken its promise to assist FOL in finding funding for capital improvements, and specifically stood in the way as FOL sought grant money to repair the aging theater's air-conditioning system.

FOL also alleges that the city is guilty of ?slander of title,? with the suit saying Fulop?s public statements about wanting a new firm to operate the theater has led third parties to cancel their bookings.

READ MORE

Posted on: 2014/3/7 21:39

Re: Loew's Jersey Theatre Project. An Insider's View.
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 17:00
Group:
Registered Users
Never trust insider info unless the person is willing to put there name on it.

Posted on: 2014/3/7 17:42

Re: Fulop to solicit proposals from for-profit companies to replace FOL in running the Loew’s theater
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
With a new take over possibly by Live Nation this can be similar to the Wellmont Theater that is in Montclair.

Posted on: 2014/3/7 12:27
Get on your bikes and ride !

Re: Loew's Jersey Theatre Project. An Insider's View.

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/8 3:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
To begin, I'd like to thank Mayor Fulop for taking a much
needed, long overdue step toward returning the Loew's Jersey
Theatre to wonder-venue it was always meant to be.
I'm glad to see so many people interested in this issue. One
thing I've noticed is that many people are confused about the
Loew's, and many others are badly misinformed and buying
into the 'spin-doctoring' coming out of FOL.
I've got a somewhat unique insider's view of the Loew's
project, having been a volunteer for over 10 years AND a
member of the FOL Board of Trustees for (almost) 5 years.
I'd like to address 2 issues here, from that perspective:
1. FOL often publicly brags about how its volunteer organization
is doing so much to restore the Loew's. However, one reason I
resigned from the board was that FOL 'management' had made
it very clear, by direct statements to myself & other volunteers,
that "volunteers are not part of the FOL organization" - i.e.
FOL consists only of paid management and board members.
It was FOL's growing disregard for the volunteers and
disrespect for the professional talents many of them offered
that made me realize the volunteers were being used as
nothing more than a disposable commodity. This just isn't the
right way to manage individuals giving their time and talents
in a sincere effort to improve the quality of life in their
community.
2. FOL asserts the project is failing because 'the city' refuses
to meet its obligations (financial & other) to the project. What
FOL fails / refuses to tell you is that those obligations are all
based on performance benchmarks in FOL's lease from the
city AND that many (if not most) benchmarks weren't met (at
least when I resigned in 2008). While FOL blames a lack of
funding on the city, it doesn't mention all the grant money that
it has actually had in hand in the past - nor does it mention
that its poor financial management cost the project $100,000
in lost grant $$.
I may post more about the 'workings' of FOL later, but for now
let me conclude by saying that, in my opinion & based on my
experience on FOL's board, FOL has taken the project as far as
it is able and does not have the business expertise needed to
move the project forward or to operate the theatre. What is
desperately needed now is a truly professional entertainment
management company, with connections to the industry, and
a willingness to open the theatre to local community performing
arts groups.

Posted on: 2014/3/6 22:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bogart wrote:
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:

I mention the job creation concern because the Mayor has promised to be a job creator, and this is a key area he's promised to work on. This RFP doesn't promote that ideal (at least in terms of the management/operations side of the RFP).

In terms of jobs, the faster the theater is up and running the more jobs there will be at the theater and at the local businesses that will thrive as a result.

Curious--If the theater is run by an existing theater operator--why do the resulting jobs in theater management/operations not count?

Because if this get turned over to a management conglomerate like Live Nation (who is in the running), they will bring in existing staff &/or run it out of NYC. That's how they work.

I also find it very troubling that the city is looking at a MINIMUM of a 30 YEAR LEASE to the chosen company. So if we don't like what they are doing (we being the community), tough.

From the RFP:
(E) OWNERSHIP, LEASE AGREEMENT AND MANAGEMENT AGREEMENT
Lease Agreement
The City wishes to continue ownership of this property and to enter into a long termlease agreement (?Lease?). Though the final Lease will be prepared by the JCRA, Respondent must include with their submission a description of all major lease provisions, including but not limited to, the proposed rent, any other compensation to the City and lease term ? of which a minimum term of 30 years will be acceptable.

Posted on: 2014/3/1 17:36

Edited by OneSkirt on 2014/3/1 17:55:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:

I mention the job creation concern because the Mayor has promised to be a job creator, and this is a key area he's promised to work on. This RFP doesn't promote that ideal (at least in terms of the management/operations side of the RFP).

In terms of jobs, the faster the theater is up and running the more jobs there will be at the theater and at the local businesses that will thrive as a result.

Curious--If the theater is run by an existing theater operator--why do the resulting jobs in theater management/operations not count?

Posted on: 2014/2/27 15:50
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, the Loews has a Board. And to what Bogart wrote, if I read the RFP correctly - they are seeking a 30 year lease/agreement with the chosen management company in a profit sharing deal. So doesn't look like they are even open to the non-profit model, which is disheartening.

You can have a non-profit model that works with professional booking agents to bring in bigger acts. This is what I would like to see happen.

Posted on: 2014/2/27 15:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
Who within the administration are qualified, experienced performing arts and live entertainment professionals who are currently serving as advisers to the Mayor on this matter, in addition to those with business acumen?

The JCRA put together the RFP; maybe you should ask if they hired a consultant to develop the plan. Regardless, it certainly doesn't read like it was written by a bunch of amateurs.

Quote:
It is crucial that a board of qualified performing arts and live events professionals be assembled as advisers on this project....

Why? The RFP and proposed programming requirements look pretty good. Plenty of cities build PACs without packing a planning commission with arts experts. All the city really has to do is figure out who can put together the funding, who has good experience, and who has a good track record.

Quote:
The City is not in the business of running a performing arts center, but you need residents who are qualified to advise and who are not affiliated with corporate money to balance out the decision making process on this/

So, theaters like the Beacon in NYC, or the Warfield in SF -- both former movie palaces -- ought to be operated exclusively by a non-profit packed with locals?

I might add that if its programming doesn't appeal to the locals, the theater will not be a success.

Quote:
I'm very concerned that I don't see any requirement in the RFP that the chosen management company hire the majority, or even a portion, of the management & operations team from among the well-qualified Jersey City community.

I'm not.

They should hire whoever is the most qualified to do the job, period. We do not live in a fiefdom with a 6' wall surrounding the city, with a desperate need to protect "our" jobs.

Not to mention that a significant portion of JC residents work in NYC, including in the arts. Should performing arts businesses in NYC refuse to hire New Jersey residents, in order to protect "their" jobs? Does NYC not have local communities to "protect"? Obviously, such a requirement would be absurd, counter-productive and harmful to all parties.

Quote:
The next questions surrounds the approach to turn this venue, which is extremely important to the community, over to a for-profit conglomerate....

Nothing in the RFP requires that the theater be run as a for-profit venture.

We also don't know if any non-profits have applied yet.

Quote:
Why does this venue need to be turned over to an entertainment conglomerate when you have many qualified professionals right here in Jersey City....

So you're unemployed, eh? :D

For-profit ventures are not run by robots. They will need to hire people (local and otherwise) to renovate and operate the theater.

And those locals have had 10 years to put something together. If y'all can put together a proposal that meets the requirements, then more power to you.

Quote:
why is the administration not also considering creating a full operations team of qualified professionals via the Loews Board to manage the venue as a non-profit entity....

Because the city doesn't have the funds, or the inclination, to do it.

There is no "Loew's Board" as far as I know. The city owns the building. The JCRA is handling the project. The Friends of Loew's is a volunteer group that has done its best to keep the theater going, but apparently doesn't have the wherewithal to submit a proposal.

By the way, I have to point out that if the city runs it, someone is going to bitch mightily about it. E.g. if the city puts together a non-profit to run it, in 6 weeks it will be vilified as a project run by Fulop cronies who only care about money, ignores everyone, cozies up to businesses and treat the locals like crap.

It doesn't matter if it's a for-profit or non-profit. What matters is whether the operator can execute, and keep a theater running year after year. May the best applicant win.

Posted on: 2014/2/27 14:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
While the lure of a professional entertainment conglomerate and their big money is one direction to go, why is the administration not also considering creating a full operations team of qualified professionals via the Loews Board to manage the venue as a non-profit entity along the lines of a the sort of business model employed by other local arts venues like NJPAC, The State Theatre in New Brunswick, or BAM? Why does this venue need to be turned over to an entertainment conglomerate when you have many qualified professionals right here in Jersey City, who can handle all facets of running a performing arts complex (fundraising, marketing, programming, theatre operations, etc.)? We have fundraising and sponsorship professionals right here qualified to start this work while renovations are underway (which I imagine will take at least a year). I can name several local residents who fit the bill for such roles, with the resumes to back that up. Let's not get blinded by dollar signs of big conglomerates until all the options are carefully examined.

I imagine it is a question of priorities. Building a functional non-profit performing arts complex is not a trivial undertaking and it would require significant attention from the Mayor's office to accomplish. If the Mayor's priority is getting the theater up and running and getting audiences into seats as soon as possible, an RFP to existing theater operators, who would share profits with the city, is the most efficient means of accomplishing these goals. Such an arrangement would not preclude later setting up a NJPAC or BAM type entity, if the resources and personnel are available.

The theater has sat underutilized for a long time. I'd rather see it up and running quickly rather than spend another period of years organizing and raising funds for a non-profit. If it becomes a successful destination, the task of establishing a non-profit to run it would be much easier.

Posted on: 2014/2/27 5:24
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Brewster points out exactly what I was losing in the last thread in this topic. I am a performing arts professionals with marketing, sponsorship, and events experience.

My concerns are over the management side of the RFP. Who within the administration are qualified, experienced performing arts and live entertainment professionals who are currently serving as advisers to the Mayor on this matter, in addition to those with business acumen? It seems to the public that there are none fitting this description, which is troubling (I hope I'm wrong). It is crucial that a board of qualified performing arts and live events professionals be assembled as advisers on this project, and that it be made public as to whom these people are. What is being done in this regard? Right now, that piece doesn't seem very transparent. The City is not in the business of running a performing arts center, but you need residents who are qualified to advise and who are not affiliated with corporate money to balance out the decision making process on this.

I'm very concerned that I don't see any requirement in the RFP that the chosen management company hire the majority, or even a portion, of the management & operations team from among the well-qualified Jersey City community. Why is the administration not seeking to make the Loews a job creator within its very walls, rather than just as a tool to galvanize redevelopment in JSQ (which is also important)?

The next questions surrounds the approach to turn this venue, which is extremely important to the community, over to a for-profit conglomerate as the only business model option for operating the venue is also confusing. Why is this being seen as the only business model for operating this venue post-renovation? As a live events and performing arts professional, I know there are other business models that merit exploration, and I also understand the financial challenges of this undertaking. While the lure of a professional entertainment conglomerate and their big money is one direction to go, why is the administration not also considering creating a full operations team of qualified professionals via the Loews Board to manage the venue as a non-profit entity along the lines of a the sort of business model employed by other local arts venues like NJPAC, The State Theatre in New Brunswick, or BAM? Why does this venue need to be turned over to an entertainment conglomerate when you have many qualified professionals right here in Jersey City, who can handle all facets of running a performing arts complex (fundraising, marketing, programming, theatre operations, etc.)? We have fundraising and sponsorship professionals right here qualified to start this work while renovations are underway (which I imagine will take at least a year). I can name several local residents who fit the bill for such roles, with the resumes to back that up. Let's not get blinded by dollar signs of big conglomerates until all the options are carefully examined.

Posted on: 2014/2/27 3:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Bogart wrote:
The New Brunswick State Theater seems to be a good example of what might have been if the city and county had invested in the Loew's decades ago. It is not independent, however. It was originally rescued by The New Brunswick Development Corporation which has overseen $1.6 billion in projects in New Brunswick, and it is now part of The New Brunswick Cultural Center which runs three downtown theaters.

But I'm not sure that even if the city adopted a non-profit model going forward, it would have much a role for the people who preserved the theater from demolition. Even a non-profit theater needs full-time, professional management to succeed.

At this point, I'm not sure what advantage there would be to the city try to build a viable non-profit model when existing for-profit businesses are willing to invest.

I don't know about "affiliations", but they state clearly on their page "The State Theatre is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization, a publicly supported charity."

How many times do people need to concede that full time professionals are needed? Look at the community oriented programs at the State, and you'll see the advantages. I actually don't know any of the FOTL players, and am not attached to them personally continuing unless they can be assets as board members, as qualified full time staff, or as volunteers working under that staff.

I think there is a big difference in the non-profit model however. It would be for the cultural benefit of the community, rather than an outside corporation whose only goal would be to use it to separate as much cash as possible from us and anyone willing to travel here.

Posted on: 2014/2/27 2:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
The New Brunswick State Theater seems to be a good example of what might have been if the city and county had invested in the Loew's decades ago. It is not independent, however. It was originally rescued by The New Brunswick Development Corporation which has overseen $1.6 billion in projects in New Brunswick, and it is now part of The New Brunswick Cultural Center which runs three downtown theaters.

But I'm not sure that even if the city adopted a non-profit model going forward, it would have much a role for the people who preserved the theater from demolition. Even a non-profit theater needs full-time, professional management to succeed.

At this point, I'm not sure what advantage there would be to the city try to build a viable non-profit model when existing for-profit businesses are willing to invest.

Posted on: 2014/2/27 1:10
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Bogart wrote:
I am not familiar with the model of an independent not-for-profit theater without any affiliated company. I'm not sure I can imagine why the operating of an empty theater building alone would be the sort magnet for the level of charitable contributions that would be required to be successful.

Can you refer us to some successful examples?

I'm not a student of these things, but the State Theater seems like a great example, in a city much smaller than JC, and in the shadow of both NYC & Philly. Look at their web sites and see what kind of community presence they have, that we sure wouldn't get with a for-profit management. I can't see that they actually produce any of the programming. I also think the Loews could pull bigger names than them by it's NYC proximity.

http://www.statetheatrenj.org/
http://www.yourstatetheatrenj.org/category/in-the-news/

VA2015: +1. Professionalize FOTL with full time staff. Saying an organization with no money or staff functions poorly is like saying a car with an empty tank is slow.

Posted on: 2014/2/27 0:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
I see both sides of this.

It is a shame that the FOLs efforts are being minimized and misrepresented. As restorationists, they have worked MIRACLES. Seriously. The theater has new lighting, a new soundboard, and so much work has been done - just look at the before/after pictures.

On the other hand, when FOLs tries to act as program managers, it becomes clear that it's not their strong suit. I know at least half a dozen people who have worked with, or attempted to work with them and the common story is 1. unreturned phone calls and emails 2. no regular business hours 3. delays on contracts 4. major inconsistencies between the terms of the contract and how the theater is conducted in practice.

I guess I would prefer that the city start by creating 2 full time positions: Grant Writer/Head of Fundraising and Program Manager. Let FOLs have a say in the hiring. Give them a year to secure funding and up their programming and revenue streams, before bringing in a big gun professional management team.

Posted on: 2014/2/26 22:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

You are conflating 2 functions that are by no means always linked. A theater managing non-profit is different from what is commonly called a "theater company". The latter produces and typically does not own a theater, most theaters host productions by outside companies. When the Rolling Stones play Giants Stadium, the stadium does not produce the show.

You are right. I am not familiar with the model of an independent not-for-profit theater without any affiliated company. I'm not sure I can imagine why the operating of an empty theater building alone would be the sort magnet for the level of charitable contributions that would be required to be successful.

Can you refer us to some successful examples?

Posted on: 2014/2/26 22:37
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Bogart wrote:
[quote]
There are even more examples of non-profit theater companies that are moribund or worse. It is much more difficult to raise adequate funds to get the theater into shape to house productions and then more funds to produce and market productions than it is to use the theater as a for-profit concert venue. This is especially true when you are just a PATH ride from the theater center of the world.

The region does not need another non-profit theater group as much as it needs concert venues for acts not quite ready for MSG. And the city needs crowds filling the seats and having dinner and patronizing bars.

You are conflating 2 functions that are by no means always linked. A theater managing non-profit is different from what is commonly called a "theater company". The latter produces and typically does not own a theater, most theaters host productions by outside companies. When the Rolling Stones play Giants Stadium, the stadium does not produce the show.

That the theater needs full time professionals is beyond dispute. But I don't see how that means for-profit. A non-profit can mean so much more to a city if properly run. there can be intern programs with the performing arts curriculums of Hi Tech and Snyder High Schools, as just one example. It would be so sad to see it just one more place to see insanely overpriced and overproduced shows.

Posted on: 2014/2/26 22:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

What doesn't follow is that it needs to be a for profit rather than the FOTL filled out with a board as I described, a budget, and professionals on staff. There are countless examples of well run non-profit theaters with pro management teams and great schedules. What makes this so different?

There are even more examples of non-profit theater companies that are moribund or worse. It is much more difficult to raise adequate funds to get the theater into shape to house productions and then more funds to produce and market productions than it is to use the theater as a for-profit concert venue. This is especially true when you are just a PATH ride from the theater center of the world.

The region does not need another non-profit theater group as much as it needs concert venues for acts not quite ready for MSG. And the city needs crowds filling the seats and having dinner and patronizing bars.

Posted on: 2014/2/26 22:05
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
There are countless examples of well run non-profit theaters with pro management teams and great schedules. What makes this so different?

I believe it's just a question of who has the experience, and is stepping up to make bids.

" ?A number of nationally-recognized entertainment venue management firms have expressed interest in the Loew?s and we are looking forward to bringing an experienced and reputable firm to Jersey City as we bring the Loew?s to the next level,? Fulop said.

The RFP specifies what the city expects. This will include at least 30 community performances or events from local artists, senior citizens, schools, lecturers, academic programs or cultural celebrations. The bid would also require at least 20 musical performances by nationally recognized artists, ten theatrical or other stage performance, ten comedy performances and 20 other performances or events.

The contract would also allow for 20 events to be sponsored and produced privately by Friends of the Loew?s Inc. and would allow other private bookings as long as they do not conflict with other scheduled events."

Read more: Hudson Reporter - Taking the next step Loew s could become Jersey City s PAC http://hudsonreporter.com/view/full_s ... ecome-Jersey-City-s-PAC--

Posted on: 2014/2/26 21:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
FOL is made up of VOLUNTEERS.

Yes, and given their resources they did as good a job as anyone could ask.

But that very line of argument confirms that they are not professionals, and as such should not be the ones to manage a full-scale, full-time, multi-million-dollar renovation and theater / performing arts center.

How many of these people are going to quit their day jobs to work as management at the Loew's? How many of them have the kind of construction and programming experience required to turn the Loew's into a PAC? How many have professionally managed a PAC?

We should be grateful for and respect the work they've done. That doesn't mean they have the skills to take the Loew's to the next level.

Posted on: 2014/2/26 21:47

Fulop to solicit proposals from for-profit companies to replace FOL in running the Loew’s theater
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/30 15:54
Group:
Registered Users
I have no problem with it being a not-for-profit, just that it be a
not-for profit that can actually manage the theater and the
restoration. With the current makeup of FOL, I don't believe that
they can do this. The grants that were received were not spent
and now cannot begin to fund what needs to be done.
When I first was volunteering at the Loew's , I was told then that
the idea was that FOL would get it up and running, and then
have a professional management company and FOL would be
not managing the theater, but making sure that the needs
of the community, etc were done, acting as a board. That
would be fine, but it needs professional management and
a compentent staff of more than 2 people.

Posted on: 2014/2/26 21:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JC1945 wrote:
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
FOL have proven themselves to be quite adept at
renovating/running the theatre with zero money
and a lot of opposition from city hall.
Imagine what they could accomplish with an
actual operating budget. Instead, now that there's
the promise of added funds, Fulop is suggesting we
wrest control away from FOL. That is just boneheaded
thinking.

Sorry, but I think you need professionals for fund raising and
management. The movies for this weekend were announced on
Tuesday for movies on Friday. With only 2 people, how can they run the theater. Most
of the restoration was done by volunteers (not members of FOL
for the most part, but managed by FOL) over 10 years ago. There
are still holes in the orchestra ceiling, an unfinished ADA bath
room, etc. I think they did a great job of saving the theater, and
getting the initial restoration done. However, now a larger, more
professional organization is required.

What doesn't follow is that it needs to be a for profit rather than the FOTL filled out with a board as I described, a budget, and professionals on staff. There are countless examples of well run non-profit theaters with pro management teams and great schedules. What makes this so different?

Posted on: 2014/2/26 21:03

Fulop to solicit proposals from for-profit companies to replace FOL in running the Loew’s theater
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/30 15:54
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
FOL have proven themselves to be quite adept at
renovating/running the theatre with zero money
and a lot of opposition from city hall.
Imagine what they could accomplish with an
actual operating budget. Instead, now that there's
the promise of added funds, Fulop is suggesting we
wrest control away from FOL. That is just boneheaded
thinking.

Sorry, but I think you need professionals for fund raising and
management. The movies for this weekend were announced on
Tuesday for movies on Friday. With only 2 people, how can they run the theater. Most
of the restoration was done by volunteers (not members of FOL
for the most part, but managed by FOL) over 10 years ago. There
are still holes in the orchestra ceiling, an unfinished ADA bath
room, etc. I think they did a great job of saving the theater, and
getting the initial restoration done. However, now a larger, more
professional organization is required.

Posted on: 2014/2/26 20:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
As far as I can tell, FOTL main problem is they're not millionaires. Seriously. The way nonprofits raise big bucks is to have the wealthy and connected of their city on their board. FOTL does not have an officers and board members listing on their page. Is Jamie LeFrak on the board? If he isn't he should be. That's the way this works in most cities that aren't simply plantations for the wealthy that live elsewhere. It's what "socialites" do to kill time and look good. Why is it a failure here and how do we change the atmosphere? Not just for the Loews, this is about building a better city where everyone participates.

Posted on: 2014/2/26 20:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

If the FOL could accomplish what they have on a volunteer basis, they could really do wonders with this place as an active part of a for-profit management team.

What are you proposing? That FOL members are entitled to jobs with the management company as some kind of payback for their volunteer work? Or that the city should not bring in a major management company at all, but let the FOL (or those members who will quit their current jobs) try to start one from scratch?

I don't think it follows that the people who preserved the theater are the best qualified to run it as a major concert venue. Saving the theater was a noble goal and the volunteers who were dedicated to that cause have accomplished their mission. We owe them gratitude and honor, but we don't owe them continuing control of the theater.

Posted on: 2014/2/26 20:47
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

La_Verdad wrote:
But lets face it - what the Loews needs now isn't elbow grease. It needs money (in the tens of millions) and professional programming.

Don't you think there's a bit of "chicken or the egg" there?

Perhaps. FOL definitely saved the theater, and at least prevented it from getting worse.

However, FOL has not shown much aptitude for fundraising or for programming. Opposition from City Hall should not have prevented them from making big strides in either of those respects.

It was also the City that scored a $2.5 million payout from the Journal Square tower developers for the Loew's.

FOL is made up of VOLUNTEERS. how much more of their daily lives were supposed to be spent on this project? and good for the city - whose workers get paid - for stepping up and getting money...that they promised to provide ages ago.

If the FOL could accomplish what they have on a volunteer basis, they could really do wonders with this place as an active part of a for-profit management team.

Posted on: 2014/2/26 20:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
I don't believe anyone disagrees with the outcomes of the proposed work... everyone wants to see the Loew's and surrounding area thrive. But how you go about doing it is key. It seems the FOL are being treated disrespectfully. I loved the comment about city officials playing around with the equipment.... like a bunch of 4-year-olds.

Posted on: 2014/2/26 19:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Fulop should not back off. A regular series of concerts by major acts and other events will bring people and money to Journal Square. That is what the city needs.

What did the people who thankfully saved the theater save it for? A clubhouse? Or for it to return to it's role as the centerpiece of a vibrant neighborhood?

Posted on: 2014/2/26 19:18
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/21 20:55
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
For Fulop money talks, and that is clearly evident when he pushed the Mccabe Ambulance deal. So don't hold your breath in thinking Fulop will drop this.

Quote:

CatDog wrote:
I really hope the mayor backs off on this. Turning the Loews over to a big company to run will absolutely ruin everything that makes it special.

Posted on: 2014/2/26 19:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

La_Verdad wrote:
But lets face it - what the Loews needs now isn't elbow grease. It needs money (in the tens of millions) and professional programming.

Don't you think there's a bit of "chicken or the egg" there?

Perhaps. FOL definitely saved the theater, and at least prevented it from getting worse.

However, FOL has not shown much aptitude for fundraising or for programming. Opposition from City Hall should not have prevented them from making big strides in either of those respects.

It was also the City that scored a $2.5 million payout from the Journal Square tower developers for the Loew's.

We're also only getting one side -- an aggrieved side, no less -- of the discussion. I don't blame them for being ticked off, since they put in a lot of work and are now getting sidelined. But that also doesn't mean they are the best ones to manage the rebuilt theater.

Posted on: 2014/2/26 19:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
I feel awful for the FOL. We got married there and have a real soft spot for the space. My husband had been to several concerts there and has said they've always been handled very well.

These people have given years of their lives protecting and improving the Loew's. Now the city has an interest and sees the potential that these people always have; for them to feel as though they're not included in the process, or worse, feel as though they've done nothing of substance with the little resources given, is pretty heartbreaking. I would fully support FOL if they try to organize and petition their ability to compete for this RFP or at least be a mandatory voice/SME as part of the final project.

Posted on: 2014/2/26 18:40

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017