Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
99 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 99

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Car towed for snow removal. WTF Jersey City.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/2 11:06
From Scenic McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
The City should declare snow emergencies before storms hit, then tow every car illegally parked on snow emergency routes, blocking crosswalks, etc. That way we might have some chance of keeping emergency routes and crosswalks clear.

Why our do nothing mayor hasn't done this is beyond me. With yet another storm forecasted to drop 4-6 inches tonight, I'm sure we can all look forward to cars parking at 45 a degree angle to the street, cars blocking crosswalks, and 3 feet of ice around the corners.

Yeah I'm know I'm bitching, but it's incredibly frustrating when even the most simple things that could improve our city in a snow storm aren't done.

Posted on: 2014/3/2 12:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
The City should declare snow emergencies before storms hit, then tow every car illegally parked on snow emergency routes, blocking crosswalks, etc. That way we might have some chance of keeping emergency routes and crosswalks clear.

Posted on: 2014/3/1 15:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/6/9 22:52
Group:
Registered Users
Why don't they tow the morons constantly
parking directly in crosswalks that you have
to walk around downtown? Or all the illegally
parked cars all over every side street downtown?
Are certain store owners allowed to
park illegally? And I'm serious about the crosswalks.
And what's with the gold shields people put
in their windows? Where do they come from
and why if you obnoxiously put it in your
window you don't get ticketed or towed?
Grrrr....:)

Posted on: 2014/3/1 11:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

chainsawhand wrote:
Wait, you don't recycle either?

All that digging your own grave on JCList is why your back hurts.

Ha! Well played. And well deserved on my part ;).

Posted on: 2014/2/28 19:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/8 2:45
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
AND AS A BONUS - HE DIDNT HAVE TO DIG HIS CAR OUT, THEY DID IT FOR HIM!!!

EMPATHY, SIR, YOU WILL NOT GET FROM HERE 2 WEEKS WAS LONG ENOUGH... GET YOUR ASS UP EARLY LIKE THE REST OF US AND DIG THAT STUFF OUT

Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
Quote:

Br6dR wrote:
So, how much did they charge you for liberating your vehicle?

Thankfully no charge (yet at least...who knows what will come in the mail).

I figured it only had to be a matter of time until the "it's all your fault" chorus would chime in. Because, clearly my not moving my car nullifies any genuine need for the city to improve communication with residents. I'm not saying I am a perfect model citizen here (I don't even recycle consistently. Oh the shame). I guess I'd just rather someone see this thread and pay close attention to the snow clearing schedule so they can avoid the headache I dealt with.

so, basically, the city moved and stored your car for no charge?

Posted on: 2014/2/28 17:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
Quote:

Br6dR wrote:

I figured it only had to be a matter of time until the "it's all your fault" chorus would chime in. Because, clearly my not moving my car nullifies any genuine need for the city to improve communication with residents. I'm not saying I am a perfect model citizen here (I don't even recycle consistently. Oh the shame). I guess I'd just rather someone see this thread and pay close attention to the snow clearing schedule so they can avoid the headache I dealt with.

so, basically, the city moved and stored your car for no charge?

Posted on: 2014/2/28 17:50

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/21 0:12
Group:
Registered Users
Wait, you don't recycle either?

All that digging your own grave on JCList is why your back hurts.

Posted on: 2014/2/28 14:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Br6dR wrote:

Posted on: 2014/2/27 16:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/2/27 15:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/18 23:27
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:

I would have strongly preferred to have been given the option to finish digging out my car and moved it myself.

You had that option. You declined that option by not actually doing it, and leaving it sit for two weeks.

Posted on: 2014/2/27 15:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/31 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

For all I knew it could have actually been stolen.

Right, because with all the attention given to late model Range Rovers and Bimmers, thieves have resorted to digging out frozen hoopties abandoned on CC Drive.

Man up, admit you made a mistake, stop blaming everyone else. The City has even initiated a neighbor helping neighbor initiative for sad olds in your situation.

Or just sell your car. Seems you don't really need it.

Posted on: 2014/2/27 15:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/23 10:53
Group:
Registered Users
Wow, what a joke.
I saw on mallory & clarke just now & watched them remove snow.
The street wasn't closed off & traffic was flowing while the operator of the big CAT machine seemed like he was still in training operating this machine.
It took him atleast 25min to scoop up about 3 loads of snow/ice & wait for traffic & everything before he dumped the snow into an awaiting dumpster truck.
There was another guy trying to stop traffic from one end but that wasn't working well & on the other end looked like another truck with strobes but no cars were stopped so this amateur can remove the snow.
If they put a crew out there that knew what they were doing, I'm sure they coulda did all of mallory in about 2hrs.
I guess this is why its taking a few days.

Posted on: 2014/2/27 15:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Area_Man wrote:
Are you really questioning why a plowed in car left unattended for two weeks was towed?

Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
Quote:

colleen wrote:
Just so I understand, your car was parked for 2 weeks? In the snow?

Yep, about 10-14 days. Parking enforcement for street cleaning was suspended during that time. My car was buried in up to the windows and due to work I can only work on digging it out on weekends. I had dug out approximately 1/2 of it when I hurt my back and had to leave it for a while. I can manage without it (have been ordering groceries and taking the train/light rail).

I do follow Fulop on facebook but there was no mention of this on his page that I can find.

I would have strongly preferred to have been given the option to finish digging out my car and moved it myself. The reason it was there so long in the first place was being buried in by the city's plows literally up to the windows of the car, which became a mound of mostly ice very quickly. It was very unnerving that my car was just gone, and Resident Response and the East Precinct had no idea where it might have been moved to at first. For all I knew it could have actually been stolen.

Posted on: 2014/2/27 13:56

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/17 18:13
Group:
Registered Users
Are you really questioning why a plowed in car left unattended for two weeks was towed?

Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
Quote:

colleen wrote:

Yep, about 10-14 days. Parking enforcement for street cleaning was suspended during that time. My car was buried in up to the windows and due to work I can only work on digging it out on weekends. I had dug out approximately 1/2 of it when I hurt my back and had to leave it for a while. I can manage without it (have been ordering groceries and taking the train/light rail).

I do follow Fulop on facebook but there was no mention of this on his page that I can find.

Posted on: 2014/2/26 21:28

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/19 18:03
From Grove St.
Group:
Registered Users
As a general rule, the process of towing cars is handled in a humane way by the Parking Authority and the Police Department. Standard protocol is to first try to contact the owner, and warn them of the pending tow. The contact is based on the vehicle registration. If you are local, they come to your house and warn you personally, if not home, or not local you will get towed.

Posted on: 2014/2/25 21:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/5 2:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Did you have to pay for the tow?

I empathize with your irritation and inconvenience (I would feel the same), but I also understand how this happened. Considering how thin resources are (likely) spread for snow removal and road repair at this point... I am not shocked there was limited warning.

A car buried for over two weeks would also be on the top of my list to tow. Honestly - I would look at it like I am doing them a favor...

Posted on: 2014/2/25 21:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Snow removal will continue in Jersey City today on the following streets, city officials said:

Communipaw Avenue from Suydam to Mallory avenues

Palisade Avenue from Booream Avenue to Griffith Street

Danforth Avenue from Princeton to West Side avenues

Broadway from Tonnelle Avenue to Routes 1&9 truck route

Vehicles should be moved from these streets from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. or until the snow has been visibly removed from the street. If you are unable to move your car when the police precede the snow removal crew, you don?t have to move it at 8 a.m.
These posting have been running in the paper for over a week now, What city post flyers in 2014?
http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... now_rem.html#incart_river

Posted on: 2014/2/25 20:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

colleen wrote:

Posted on: 2014/2/25 19:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/31 2:51
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/2/25 18:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/28 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
I don't understand how there was not a single flyer or notice in advance of them towing cars parked on Columbus Drive for snow removal. I came home to find that all the snow mounds are removed from my street (good) but that is because they towed my car (and others) out of the way to do so (NOT GOOD).

I had seen a list of streets where they were doing this posted here last week but it didn't include Columbus. News articles indicated that Columbus was slated for a second wave of towings/snow removal as of last week (see here http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?sec ... cal/new_jersey&id=9437150). So why couldn't some flyers been put on windshields/in resident's mailboxes if there was a 5 day delay in the plan.

Now I have to go get my car from a lot on Montgomery and Jorden which is highly inconvenient.

Jersey City, you are wearing on me.

I would also recommend following the Mayor and Council members on twitter and Facebook. They are very active on social media with updates such as this one. If JC is wearing on you I wouldn't move to another city, having lived in most major US cities.

Posted on: 2014/2/25 16:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HPYC wrote:
From the city website: http://www.cityofjerseycity.com/resident.aspx?id=12218

"During a Snow Emergency:

Residents cannot park on designated snow routes. These emergency routes are main thoroughfares that have to be plowed by the JCIA. On designated Snow Emergency days, residents should utilize side streets for parking "

I think this has been on the website for some time and is posted on the routes. Columbus is a snow emergency route from Center St. to the Hudson River. They actually should have removed all cars and plowed a long time ago."

It still sucks to have your car towed unexpectedly, though.

+1

To add to that, I think alternate side of the street parking should be reinstated much sooner after snowfall (Hoboken went back into effect this week, I believe). This would - in theory - allow plows to deal with outside lane snow and force people to deal with their snowed-in cars.

Posted on: 2014/2/25 15:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HPYC wrote:

Residents cannot park on designated snow routes. These emergency routes are main thoroughfares that have to be plowed by the JCIA. On designated Snow Emergency days, residents should utilize side streets for parking "

I think this has been on the website for some time and is posted on the routes. Columbus is a snow emergency route from Center St. to the Hudson River. They actually should have removed all cars and plowed a long time ago."

There is nowhere near adequate side street parking to accommodate all the cars that usually park on Columbus. A better option would be to have an emergency lot that residents could park in to clear the street. And again, there needs to be better communication about when a snow emergency is declared. My car was parked for almost 2 weeks without issue in the same spot prior to being towed.

To clarify, I am very glad the huge mounds of snow were removed from Columbus, but I don't think it's at all reasonable that I should have to check a city website daily to avoid a tow. Many of the people on my block are older and probably not internet savvy and I really don't understand why they couldn't post a dozen or so flyers, or better yet put them on windshields.

Additionally, after calling for more information it turned out that my car was not towed to a lot but was moved to a different spot on Columbus. It took a call to Residence response and 2 calls to the east precinct to get the correct information. They must have towed several dozen cars yet no one knew what was going on.

Posted on: 2014/2/25 15:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/2/25 14:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SteveWilson29 wrote:
A cop threatened to tow me the other day because a construction company forgot to get No Parking signs. Good thing I was home.

Good thing the cop was there as well. You would have prevented the construction company from doing their job.

Posted on: 2014/2/25 12:31
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/2 11:06
From Scenic McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Notice was posted on the city website. Granted the city could have done a better job of notifying people, but how else do you expect them to clear the snow off CC? With the way people were parking on CC I'm surprised this wasn't done sooner. We lost almost an entire lane each way to the snow and cars parked at angles.

Posted on: 2014/2/25 11:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/5 16:38
Group:
Banned
A cop threatened to tow me the other day because a construction company forgot to get No Parking signs. Good thing I was home.

Posted on: 2014/2/25 1:24

Car towed for snow removal. WTF Jersey City.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I don't understand how there was not a single flyer or notice in advance of them towing cars parked on Columbus Drive for snow removal. I came home to find that all the snow mounds are removed from my street (good) but that is because they towed my car (and others) out of the way to do so (NOT GOOD).

I had seen a list of streets where they were doing this posted here last week but it didn't include Columbus. News articles indicated that Columbus was slated for a second wave of towings/snow removal as of last week (see here http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?sec ... cal/new_jersey&id=9437150). So why couldn't some flyers been put on windshields/in resident's mailboxes if there was a 5 day delay in the plan.

Now I have to go get my car from a lot on Montgomery and Jorden which is highly inconvenient.

Jersey City, you are wearing on me.

Posted on: 2014/2/25 0:06

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017