Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
117 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 117

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Domino's
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sepecat wrote:
Little Caesars is good if you can get a pie right from the oven. if it has been staying in the warming oven, it's horrible. I went to the central ave loc two times and this were my results.

I wonder if they microwave it. Having something freshly nuked isn't bad but let it sit for a few and it turns to rubber. I call all of these chain pizza places computer generated astronaut instant pizza...No taste/bland.

Posted on: 2014/2/27 16:16
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/21 20:55
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Little Caesars is good if you can get a pie right from the oven. if it has been staying in the warming oven, it's horrible. I went to the central ave loc two times and this were my results.

Posted on: 2014/2/26 19:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/5 2:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I saw something similar... they are very focused on providing an entrepreneurial path for those who want it. The CEO was recently quoted as being excited that lending has re-opened because it will support people pursuing their dreams with their franchise... I like the sound of that.

People also like to forget that the American dream also includes retirement... meaning, many people look to their (state) pensions and 401ks to enjoy their lives post working career. Domino's has consistently performed for the past 20 years, contributing valuable equity (overall stock value and dividends) to many peoples retirement. I feel like we frequently forget there is a bigger picture here...

I am not a fan of their pizza, so I don't eat it... but I would invest in their company.

Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Little Caesar's, really? I might just drive up there to taste the pizza and see if it is still as bad as it was 20 years ago when there was one in my hometown!

On another note, while a Domino's franchise might not be quite the same as the cute little mom-and-pop, 100% locally owned pizzeria or other restaurant, I just stumbled across a story that gives an interesting statistic that blew my mind. A story on CNN says that about 90% of all Domino's franchises are owned by people who started out as delivery drivers or other entry-level employees. That's a great example of the American dream if I ever heard it.

Here's the story if you want to read:

http://money.cnn.com/2013/04/24/small ... os-deliveryman/index.html

Posted on: 2014/2/26 14:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking:
A "Little Caesars" just opened on Central Avenue, here in the Heights. No-one is running around in sack-cloth, shouting 'The End Is Nigh' as far as I can tell...

Of course, this being the Heights, we apparently don't rate gentrification. Unless, Little Caesars doesn't count?

For the Heights, Little Caesars IS gentrification.

Posted on: 2014/2/26 12:27

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/5 14:14
Group:
Registered Users
Not that anyone is going to order from there but just an FYI- prior to them opening I witnessed two of their employees casually chatting while uncovered trays holding balls of uncooked pizza dough sat in the dirty sidewalk next to a gross snow pile completely exposed to whatever random debris that get kicked up when a car drives by. It was incredibley gross and even though they hadn't officially opened yet I can't understand how none of the workers thought about what that looks like to potential customers walking around the neighborhood.

Posted on: 2014/2/26 6:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Little Caesar's, really? I might just drive up there to taste the pizza and see if it is still as bad as it was 20 years ago when there was one in my hometown!

On another note, while a Domino's franchise might not be quite the same as the cute little mom-and-pop, 100% locally owned pizzeria or other restaurant, I just stumbled across a story that gives an interesting statistic that blew my mind. A story on CNN says that about 90% of all Domino's franchises are owned by people who started out as delivery drivers or other entry-level employees. That's a great example of the American dream if I ever heard it.

Here's the story if you want to read:

http://money.cnn.com/2013/04/24/small ... os-deliveryman/index.html

Posted on: 2014/2/26 5:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Little Caesar's, wow I didn't know that chain was still around. Hadn't really seen them since the mid-90s.

Posted on: 2014/2/26 4:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
A "Little Caesars" just opened on Central Avenue, here in the Heights. No-one is running around in sack-cloth, shouting 'The End Is Nigh' as far as I can tell...

Of course, this being the Heights, we apparently don't rate gentrification. Unless, Little Caesars doesn't count?

Posted on: 2014/2/26 4:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Another ridiculous thread, Domino's is just like McDonald's, Dunkin Donuts. Papa Johns, etc. You can find these fast food spots in the poorest areas to the most affluent areas. Some of you are just idiotic... NO, you don't have ?haters?. People just don't like you. Get over yourself.

Posted on: 2014/2/24 20:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
Quote:

immigrationlawyer wrote:
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
Quote:

07310 wrote:
Quote:

jmiz wrote:
I love watching the gentrification of this message board. When I first started lurking here many years ago -- before registering -- people were so excited to see a clean well-established business take 1.) an empty storefront. Then, it was about replacing 2.) the dollar store / discount stores on Newark. Now it 3.) MUST BE ARTISAN PIZZA OR WE REVOLT.

Don't be fooled by what you read this is still a dollar store crowd.

::raises hand::

There are still some of us who grew up here or around here, who don't want it to lose its diversity and character. I am all for certain kinds of change (safer streets, more interesting places to eat) but not others (rents so high only one demographic can afford to live here, Portlandia-type stuff like a juice bar on every corner).

What's the diversity that you're seeking to protect? I think it's important to define what you mean by diversity. From what I can tell, the newcomers to JC are exceptionally diverse...probably even moreso than those who've been here the last 20-30+ years. Not one of my dozen plus closest neighbors are the same in terms ethnic/cultural/religious background yet they're all a part of the gentrification wave.

I include culture, age, and socioeconomics in my diversity equation. I don't want to live in a majority poor neighborhood but I don't want to live in a wealthy gated community or condo either. I think it's good to have an influx of white collar "gentrifiers" but you also need mechanics, janitors, garbage collectors etc. and I find it depressing when everyone making under say 40K a year has to live on some outskirt of the "wealthy" area like it's a servant's quarters or ethnic ghetto or something.

Two comments (not trying to put words in your mouth here and imply that you are necessarily against this pizza establishment being in Jersey City):

1. A Domino's or any other chain being located in an old city nieghborhood is not going to kill the diversity of the neighborhood - it serves something of a purposes and as someone else mentioned, not every meal has to be an epicurean delight (because Domino's sure as hell isn't);

2. There are already numerous other restaurant, coffee and other chains in Jersey City, too many to name right here. Most of the neighborhoods are still diverse and still have their character. It's not like this city is any danger of turning into a bunch of glass boxes with a sterile look to them, like in the movie Robocop (or was that Robocop II?), although some might say that about the Newport area. But so what? Plenty of places to live in Jersey City and some of those glass boxes were here long before a lot of us moved in (yes, I know some came before then).

Don't know what to say about people earning less than $40K having to live on the outskirts of wealthy neightborhoods - like any other city, that's bound to happen - you have people who can afford to stay and people who can't afford to leave. Unfortunate, yes, but it's bound to happen anywhere.

Posted on: 2014/2/24 20:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

immigrationlawyer wrote:
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
Quote:

07310 wrote:
Quote:

jmiz wrote:
I love watching the gentrification of this message board. When I first started lurking here many years ago -- before registering -- people were so excited to see a clean well-established business take 1.) an empty storefront. Then, it was about replacing 2.) the dollar store / discount stores on Newark. Now it 3.) MUST BE ARTISAN PIZZA OR WE REVOLT.

There are still some of us who grew up here or around here, who don't want it to lose its diversity and character. I am all for certain kinds of change (safer streets, more interesting places to eat) but not others (rents so high only one demographic can afford to live here, Portlandia-type stuff like a juice bar on every corner).

What's the diversity that you're seeking to protect? I think it's important to define what you mean by diversity. From what I can tell, the newcomers to JC are exceptionally diverse...probably even moreso than those who've been here the last 20-30+ years. Not one of my dozen plus closest neighbors are the same in terms ethnic/cultural/religious background yet they're all a part of the gentrification wave.

I include culture, age, and socioeconomics in my diversity equation. I don't want to live in a majority poor neighborhood but I don't want to live in a wealthy gated community or condo either. I think it's good to have an influx of white collar "gentrifiers" but you also need mechanics, janitors, garbage collectors etc. and I find it depressing when everyone making under say 40K a year has to live on some outskirt of the "wealthy" area like it's a servant's quarters or ethnic ghetto or something.

Posted on: 2014/2/24 20:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
I've got not problem with the Domino's and like ordering sometimes. I'm just amused that they needed one here, considering the one less than a mile up the hill on the very same street. A testament to JC's booming population, I guess.

Posted on: 2014/2/24 14:25

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/16 18:56
Group:
Registered Users
When I was outside walking on Sunday, I saw a bunch of dominos delivery cars and people carrying out pizza. So, obviously someone wants to eat it. Not everyone likes artisan pizza.

Posted on: 2014/2/24 12:23

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/21 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
It's a dominos. Big deal. There is a mcdonalds on grove. Is that prime rib over there they are serving? Move on people. It's not even an issue

Posted on: 2014/2/24 6:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
I used to order from Dominos for their wings, but they seemed to go downhill very fast a few years ago. They started nickel-and-diming on both quality and quantity - smaller overcooked wings, 8 instead of 10. The only thing I think they have going for them these days is 30-minute delivery.

Posted on: 2014/2/24 3:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

immigrationlawyer wrote:

In terms of "character" that's subjective and everyone is entitled to their opinion on what "character" they prefer.

You are right about the last 20 -30 years just look at the two main public safety departments all from the same cut of cloth. Speaking of which even though there was diversity throughout the city it was camouflaged because everyone lived in "their own" pocket. Growing up in the Heights back then everyone was very similar so we shared more than classroom or street time. When families went to cultural events we would see our neighbors there as well. It was just the way it was.

Posted on: 2014/2/24 1:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
I haven't ordered from Domino's since college. I don't like their pizza, but so what? Plenty of people seem to, and they're obviously meeting some sort of need in the market or they wouldn't be opening a downtown location. I saw Domino's making multiple runs to my building on Super Bowl Sunday. I'm sure they were hustling orders out the door, which I doubt any of those artisanal pizza places could do as quickly or efficiently. If you're looking to order a half dozen pizzas to soak up the beer at a Super Bowl party or to serve to a bunch of six-year olds at a birthday party, ordering from Domino's makes sense. Not every meal you eat - nor every restaurant that opens downtown - needs to be an epicurean delight. Sometimes people, even the gentrifiers, need something cheap, fast and filling.

Fast and filling yes, cheap a big no ! I would not feed any child something I would feel inferior. Luckily you have that option. God bless America.

Posted on: 2014/2/24 1:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jmiz wrote:
I love watching the gentrification of this message board.

Even when I was flat dead broke, and living in a place with absolutely nothing resembling decent pizza, I couldn't stand Dominos.

By the way, I saw tonight that one of the Dominos delivery cars is a BMW. Talk about gentrification. ;)

Posted on: 2014/2/23 23:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:

I haven't ordered from Domino's since college. I don't like their pizza, but so what? Plenty of people seem to, and they're obviously meeting some sort of need in the market or they wouldn't be opening a downtown location. I saw Domino's making multiple runs to my building on Super Bowl Sunday. I'm sure they were hustling orders out the door, which I doubt any of those artisanal pizza places could do as quickly or efficiently. If you're looking to order a half dozen pizzas to soak up the beer at a Super Bowl party or to serve to a bunch of six-year olds at a birthday party, ordering from Domino's makes sense. Not every meal you eat - nor every restaurant that opens downtown - needs to be an epicurean delight. Sometimes people, even the gentrifiers, need something cheap, fast and filling.

Who are these artisans you speak of?

Resized Image

I'm living in Jersey for Christ sakes. When I order pizza I want the owner to be Italian and any women who work there to be loud and good hearted. (If you don't get on their bad side.)

Posted on: 2014/2/23 18:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/18 3:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

immigrationlawyer wrote:

In my last building every one of my neighbors on my floor was from a different country. I don't think a single pizza place is going to change things that much.

Posted on: 2014/2/23 18:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/2/23 18:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
Quote:

07310 wrote:
Quote:

jmiz wrote:

how is Domino's preserving character?

Those folks in Michigan have character. They're known for it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domino%27s_Pizza

Posted on: 2014/2/23 18:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/16 12:23
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
Quote:

07310 wrote:
Quote:

jmiz wrote:

In terms of "character" that's subjective and everyone is entitled to their opinion on what "character" they prefer.

Posted on: 2014/2/23 17:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
Quote:

07310 wrote:
Quote:

jmiz wrote:

how is Domino's preserving character?

Posted on: 2014/2/23 16:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

07310 wrote:
Quote:

jmiz wrote:

Posted on: 2014/2/23 14:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

07310 wrote:
Quote:

jmiz wrote:

A sophisticated dollar store crowd, bub.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/2/23 14:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jmiz wrote:

Posted on: 2014/2/23 12:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/2/23 12:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
It can mean only one thing. More dangerous delivery drivers. The guys from the one in Hoboken are menaces.

Posted on: 2014/2/23 4:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Br6dR wrote:
Isn't it sacrilegious to order a Domino's Pizza in New Jersey?

Well then I guess they won't be there very long. Problem solved, for anybody that actually thought it was a problem.

Posted on: 2014/2/22 21:46

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017